Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 5 Monday, 5 February 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 TMBG: Dumb Sellouts in Entertainment Weekly!!! Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not TMBG: TMBG in Rolling Stone TMBG: Re: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 TMBG: What page in Enteraintment Weekly? TMBG: in with the new TMBG: Welcome back Dexter/Alex Re: TMBG: What page in Enteraintment Weekly? TMBG: Video clips... Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Re: TMBG: Video clips... TMBG: The Oblongs Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Re: TMBG: The Oblongs TMBG: The Oblongs Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:20:23 -0600 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: <3A7D5717.9A540F45@uswest.net> Dan Brosnan wrote: > Thankyou for your time. If anyone has a stance on the subject i'd be very > interested in a reply. One person screams "SELL OUT" .....Well, I scream "KISS ME, SON OF GOD" TMBG are getting some more airplay, because of a theme song. I honestly believe that they may get some more fans because of this. And, of course, they'll make some more money....(more power to 'em) I don't think this'll ruin Them. I don't think it'll change Them. Them's good people. Leave Them alone. They'll make the music we'll listen to every time. ..And I hope that They get old before They die. 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Shoehorn with Teeth ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:21:56 -0600 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: <3A7D5774.8E361436@uswest.net> lol ............................amen. Ryan Staib wrote: > > dan dan dan, do you see how you completely contradict yourself > > here? First you ask that all people that don't agree with you, > > don't speak. Then you ask anybody with a stance on the subject > > to reply? Where's the consistency? > > > > Attention: today's logic quotient has been exceeded. I don't remember > anyone giving permission for you to use logic and/or rational thought > on this list. Did they? DID THEY??? I thought not. :) > > Anyway, yes, very good. Discussion is the whole point of a message > board, and it would be boring indeed if you always saw messages you > yourself could have written. Right. Btw, TMBG is selling out. Yes. > They've been doing it for a long time now, really. First it came with > making their albums available for purchase. A *true* artist, only > interested in art, would never have done such a thing. They could have > applied for an NEA grant if they were having a problem with money. > Also, they didn't do their concerts for free. Greed can be the only > motive. Cashing in. That's what they did. Then they put their songs on > the radio and on MTV. The reason? They wanted more money. They also > did bunches of TV appearances and even had their music featured on > Tiny Toons. It's just all an evil scheme to line the wallets of fat > cats John and John. And their music has become so bland. I mean, they > used to be daring and willing to try new things, and now their music > is just like everyone else's. This whole thing with the MP3s also > proves they're just in it for the money. I mean, they must be making > literally *hundreds* of dollars off of those. Yes, that's right, TMBG: > the band that's been selling out for 18 years now with nothing to show > for it. They must be really dumb and very bad at selling out if that's > what they're doing, because I sure haven't seen them doing concerts > with N'sync or the Backstreet Boys, have you? No. Guess who probably > got them on TV this time? The record company, maybe, or Fox. It might > even be in their contract. I don't think the person who said not to > say TMBG were selling out meant that he didn't want people to suggest > it, he just meant that it's one of the more ridiculous things to do. > It's almost a waste of time to read a message about it. It's like > showing you a picture of a person who has brown hair and then arguing > about whether it's green or not. Could you make yourself believe that > it's green? Probably. My roommate's brother recently convinced the > other guys on his floor that he was, in fact, the only person in the > universe who actually existed. You can spend a lot of time getting > people to believe things that are wrong, but why? I leave you with the > wisdom of someone much more learned than me: "Don't cross the street > in the middle, in the middle, in the middle, in the middle, in the > middle of the block. Use your eyes to look up. Use your ears to hear. > Walk up to the corner when the coast is clear. And wait, and > wait--until you see the light turn green." Words to live by, ladies > and gentlemen. Words to live by. > > RS > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 15:56:17 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: Dear all, What i meant when i said that people have no right to moan and groan about the situation was simply: TMBG is going to be on tv for the first time in a while and we should all be happy with that. Just because they don't play the song you want to hear is no reason to get upset. Apologies for any misinterpretations - Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:28:02 EST From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 Message-ID: <84.10f9eba7.27aef932@aol.com> In a message dated 2/4/01 2:11:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > . Btw, TMBG is selling out. Yes. > They've been doing it for a long time now, really. First it came with > making their albums available for purchase. A *true* artist, only > interested in art, would never have done such a thing. They could have > applied for an NEA grant if they were having a problem with money. > Also, they didn't do their concerts for free. Greed can be the only > motive. Cashing in. That's what they did. Then they put their songs on > the radio and on MTV. The reason? They wanted more money. They also > did bunches of TV appearances and even had their music featured on > Tiny Toons. It's just all an evil scheme to line the wallets of fat > cats John and John. And their music has become so bland. I mean, they > used to be daring and willing to try new things, and now their music > is just like everyone else's. This whole thing with the MP3s also > proves they're just in it for the money. I mean, they must be making > literally *hundreds* of dollars off of those. Yes, that's right, TMBG: > the band that's been selling out for 18 years now with nothing to show > for it. They must be really dumb and very bad at selling out if that's > wow.....that was really mean. do you even like tmbg? because it sounds like you don't. did you ever consider that maybe They were selling albums because they want people to be able to hear their music. They've made my life a lot better...and even giving out albums for free wouldn't be a good idea, because then you wouldn't be able to get them in normal record stores. their music isn't like everyone elses....if it were, i wouldn't like it. why do you call Them dumb and stuff? it's terribly mean and makes me sad. don't call TMBG dumb. that's Not A Good Thing To Do. > Flansburgh's the sh*t! I model myself >after him with my glasses and stuff. He's the coolest nerd out there. ANd >he's not even a nerd. I never understand the harsh critism over Flansy. >WHO'S WITH ME!!!!??? flans is my favourite too... jessie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 13:45:05 EST From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 Message-ID: <1e.10e3a7af.27aefd31@aol.com> yeah, i guess you're right. i tend to get very worked up when i hear bad things about They... jessie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:15:27 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: YEAH!!! AND DONT FORGET THAT THEY AREN'T REALLY RICH; SO DON'T STEAL SONGS FROM NAPSTER!!! AND FEEL REALLY SORRY FOR THEM RIGHT NOW AND ALL THE TROUBLE THEY HAVE TO GO THROUGH BEING PLAYED ON A TOP 40 STATION!! ITS HELL!!! or something. Chrissy. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryan Staib" To: Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 9:00 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not > > dan dan dan, do you see how you completely contradict yourself > > here? First you ask that all people that don't agree with you, > > don't speak. Then you ask anybody with a stance on the subject > > to reply? Where's the consistency? > > > > Attention: today's logic quotient has been exceeded. I don't remember > anyone giving permission for you to use logic and/or rational thought > on this list. Did they? DID THEY??? I thought not. :) > > Anyway, yes, very good. Discussion is the whole point of a message > board, and it would be boring indeed if you always saw messages you > yourself could have written. Right. Btw, TMBG is selling out. Yes. > They've been doing it for a long time now, really. First it came with > making their albums available for purchase. A *true* artist, only > interested in art, would never have done such a thing. They could have > applied for an NEA grant if they were having a problem with money. > Also, they didn't do their concerts for free. Greed can be the only > motive. Cashing in. That's what they did. Then they put their songs on > the radio and on MTV. The reason? They wanted more money. They also > did bunches of TV appearances and even had their music featured on > Tiny Toons. It's just all an evil scheme to line the wallets of fat > cats John and John. And their music has become so bland. I mean, they > used to be daring and willing to try new things, and now their music > is just like everyone else's. This whole thing with the MP3s also > proves they're just in it for the money. I mean, they must be making > literally *hundreds* of dollars off of those. Yes, that's right, TMBG: > the band that's been selling out for 18 years now with nothing to show > for it. They must be really dumb and very bad at selling out if that's > what they're doing, because I sure haven't seen them doing concerts > with N'sync or the Backstreet Boys, have you? No. Guess who probably > got them on TV this time? The record company, maybe, or Fox. It might > even be in their contract. I don't think the person who said not to > say TMBG were selling out meant that he didn't want people to suggest > it, he just meant that it's one of the more ridiculous things to do. > It's almost a waste of time to read a message about it. It's like > showing you a picture of a person who has brown hair and then arguing > about whether it's green or not. Could you make yourself believe that > it's green? Probably. My roommate's brother recently convinced the > other guys on his floor that he was, in fact, the only person in the > universe who actually existed. You can spend a lot of time getting > people to believe things that are wrong, but why? I leave you with the > wisdom of someone much more learned than me: "Don't cross the street > in the middle, in the middle, in the middle, in the middle, in the > middle of the block. Use your eyes to look up. Use your ears to hear. > Walk up to the corner when the coast is clear. And wait, and > wait--until you see the light turn green." Words to live by, ladies > and gentlemen. Words to live by. > > RS > > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 17:23:35 -0500 From: Rachel Vecchitto Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Rolling Stone Message-ID: <4.3.1.0.20010204171740.00a86370@mail.rpi.edu> Hey guys - ÁÁI was reading through the Feb. 15th issue of Rolling Stone the other day, and I what did I see smooshed down in the corner of one of the pages but a short little blurb about TMBG! I scanned it and have it posted at . It was pretty weird to see them mentioned in Rolling Stone - I must have looked at the article for 5 or 10 seconds before I decided it was really them. :) And you'll all be happy to know that the word "quirky" isn't used once in the article, but unfortunately, "whiny" is. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess. :) -- Rachel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:12:22 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-4 Message-ID: I think he was being sarcastic dear. wow.....that was really mean. do you even like tmbg? because it sounds like you don't. did you ever consider that maybe They were selling albums because they want people to be able to hear their music. They've made my life a lot better...and even giving out albums for free wouldn't be a good idea, because then you wouldn't be able to get them in normal record stores. their music isn't like everyone elses....if it were, i wouldn't like it. why do you call Them dumb and stuff? it's terribly mean and makes me sad. don't call TMBG dumb. that's Not A Good Thing To Do. > Flansburgh's the sh*t! I model myself >after him with my glasses and stuff. He's the coolest nerd out there. ANd >he's not even a nerd. I never understand the harsh critism over Flansy. >WHO'S WITH ME!!!!??? flans is my favourite too... jessie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:44:31 EST From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: TMBG: in with the new Message-ID: Hey everyone! This is Alex. You all used to know me as Dexter Flansburgh, but I've decided to ditch that alias. I figured it would be much easier to just simply use my real name, Alex. My E-mail address used to be GhostKrabb@webtv.net, but I'm no longer on WebTV. So for now on, if anyone cares, my E-mail address will be FreeMiniPops@aol.com. I've already signed back up for all my favorite lists with this address. I just can't stay away from you guys! You rawk. Man, it feels so good to have finally made the transition over to a real computer. WebTV is so whack... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:48:19 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: What page in Enteraintment Weekly? Message-ID: <200102050448.XAA02636@smtp.engin.umich.edu> > Can anyone tell me what page TMBG are on in Entertainment Weekly? All I could > find was where it mentioned them being on Leno. Thanks. EW #581, February 9, 2001 Enclosed "EW Internet" magazine, #26, February 2001 (Inserted between pp. 42-43 of regular mag) p. 7, "Down Stream." -- Jonathan Chaffer Graduate Student Instructor, University of Michigan "There are three types of mathematicians: Those who can count and those who can't." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:05:13 -0000 From: "Eugene Jarvis" Subject: TMBG: Video clips... Message-ID: Hey, Josh Buckland here, for those of you who remember me (and loath) me. Yes, I'm back... But anyway, does anyone know where I can get some clips of TMBG videos? I remember seein' alot of them on a page a year or two ago, but now I'm trying to compile some videos for a TMBG video page (http://stalkingsarah.20m.com/tmbvid.htm) and all I have is Puppet Head, Istanbul, Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Birdhouse in your Soul, and Statue got me high, and I know there HAS to be more clips SOMEWHERE. And I REALLY wouldn't mind getting a clip of Boss of Me... Can anyone help??? ---------------------------------------------------------- "Do you Like the taste? Stuff it in your face, ---------------- It's not nice to waste "Serial Man" We're not happy 'till we're chokin' ---------------- Josh Buckland So we eat some more, A.K.A "Eugene Jarvis" Throw up on the floor http://stalkingsarah.20m.com Go back to the store, --------------------- We're so hungry, so pathetic.." -Alice Cooper _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:12:01 From: "John Landis" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: ÁÁYeah... I agree with our friend "RS." TMBG, like practically every mass media artist out there is on a mission to sell out. I think I saw Moby on VH1 say something along the lines of, you've already sold out from the first album sold, so from there all you can try to do is sell out with as little integrity loss as possible. Ultimately though, I think everyone with any interest in this subject should hear what the Giants themselves have to say about it. Just Cruise on over to http://www.twistid.com/tmbg/ and download "Mario Speaks" and "Integrity Project" these two tracks, in my opinion, make a big joke out of the whole Integrity vs. Selling out debate. The whole thing is really neither here nor there. If you like the song, for christ's sake, don't let a TV appearance stop you, and by the same token, if you think artists with so called "integrity" are churning out crap (and there are quite a few of these) don't feel obligated to respect it. Judge the art on it's own merits. -John "Third John" Landis PS. As for the Flans Debate, I always thought Linnel was responsable for most of the "smart" songs and Flans was responsable for most of the "Fun" songs. Then I read the "who wrote what" list that was posted here not too long ago. To my surprise, many very very intelligent songs, many of my favorites were written by our friend John Flansburgh. This really furthers the comparison to Lennon / McCartney. Too many people bash McCartney, and say that he was the less intelligent, comercial side of the Beatles. Anyone who says so hasn't been listening to "Fixing a Hole" or "Elenor Rigby" lately. Both these songs are lyrically brilliant, and a good deal more coherant than say, "Strawberry Fields" (No matter how hard I try, I can't get "No one I think is in my tree, I guess it must be High or low" to make any sense with the rest of the song, or at all for that matter.) Gee... Now I'm talknig about a completely different band. Sorry. What I meant to say was : FLANS ROCKS OUR WORLD _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 00:14:11 EST From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Video clips... Message-ID: <43.103f1d74.27af90a3@aol.com> The following index doesn't have their music videos, but it's got stuff from Brave New World: http://www.tmbg.com/songvid/ Alex "Nobody likes what I like. That's how I like it." - Harvey Danger ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:32:48 -0000 From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: John Landis: >ÁÁYeah... I agree with our friend "RS." TMBG, like practically every mass >media artist out there is on a mission to sell out. I think I saw Moby on >VH1 say something along the lines of, you've already sold out from the >first album sold, so from there all you can try to do is sell out with as >little integrity loss as possible. Well, what definition of "sell out" are you using? Dictionaries usually define "sell out" as "to become a traitor." If you're a musician, how is selling albums a betrayal? How, for that matter, is ANYTHING TMBG has done a betrayal? I mean, sure, writing a TV theme song is something that was probably done primarily for money, but, as far as I can recall, I never saw any statement from the Johns about how TV themes were evil, or how they were opposed to making money (hey, they have to pay their bills), so where does the betrayal come in? Now, if you're using some other definition of the term, okay, but I often get the impression that people use "sell out" to mean simply "doing something that I, personally, don't like." >Then I read the "who wrote what" list that was posted here not too long >ago. Do you mean the "Who Sings What?" list, or is there a "Who Wrote What?" list that I don't know about? (I've been trying to write a "Who Wrote What?" list, but there are so few songs with any official word from the Johns, so a lot of my credits are guesses.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:34:32 -0000 From: "Timothy Alfalfa" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: John Landis: >Too many people bash McCartney, and >say that he was the less intelligent, comercial side of the Beatles. >Anyone >who says so hasn't been listening to "Fixing a Hole" or "Elenor Rigby" >lately. Both these songs are lyrically brilliant, and a good deal more >coherant than say, "Strawberry Fields" (No matter how hard I try, I can't >get "No one I think is in my tree, I guess it must be High or low" to make >any sense with the rest of the song, or at all for that matter.) And you can make perfect sense out of "I took my boat for a car"? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:39:32 -0000 From: "Eugene Jarvis" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Oblongs Message-ID: >I just saw a commercial for that show "The Oblongs." I remember hearing >that >TMBG will be doing the theme music for it. > ....... > >Anyway, it doesn't look like it'll be another smash hit like Malcolm In The >Middle, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. > Speaking of which, for those who caught the "Boss of Me" video on Malcolm, is it just me or did Linnell seem largely ignored in that video??? Look at the pattern of past videos, I'd say it's about time for Flans to get a little more spotlight in the videos. I mean, hell, I don't know how many people saw Them on Viva Variety, but they concentrated so heavily on Linnell and whoever the bassist was, it would be hard to tell that Flans was even an important part of the band. They didn't even really show him untill the end, when he broke all but one of his strings and played it while untuning it. Don't get me wrong Linnell rules, but as a fellow guitarist, I think Flans needs a little more reckognition than just the guy in the background with the straight face. ---------------------------------------------------------- My Website: http://stalkingsarah.20m.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "Do you Like the taste? Stuff it in your face, ---------------- It's not nice to waste "Serial Man" We're not happy 'till we're chokin' ---------------- Josh Buckland So we eat some more, A.K.A "Eugene Jarvis" Throw up on the floor --------------------- Go back to the store, We're so hungry, so pathetic.." -Alice Cooper _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:05:09 EST From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Subject: TMBG: The Oblongs Message-ID: <71.a889da0.27af9c95@aol.com> In a message dated 2/5/01 12:24:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, FreeMiniPops@aol.com writes: << I just saw a commercial for that show "The Oblongs." I remember hearing that TMBG will be doing the theme music for it. >> On what network, will this be appearing? Mike Stabile ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-5 *****************************