Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 6 Tuesday, 6 February 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: The Oblongs TMBG: Selling out--NOT! TMBG: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Re: TMBG: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: Yet another dream *phew* Re: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: This is a test. TMBG: Ms. Bitterness / New TMBG songs TMBG: This is a test. TMBG: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: Re: This is a test. TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: TMBG Unlimited - 2 Fw: Delivery problems: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: What's been going on. Re: TMBG: Yet another dream *phew* TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-5 Re: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Re: TMBG: Dumb Sellouts in Entertainment Weekly!!! Re: TMBG: Dumb Sellouts in Entertainment Weekly!!! TMBG: Linnell finds the camera! TMBG: Re: Linnell finds the camera! TMBG: on Leno TMBG: oh yeah... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 02:42:26 EST From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: The Oblongs Message-ID: <9a.fa88eeb.27afb362@aol.com> In a message dated 2/4/01 10:03:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, MikeTheGiant writes: > On what network, will this be appearing? > > The WB (bleh!) Alex "Nobody likes what I like. That's how I like it." - Harvey Danger ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:02:12 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: I want to make it clear before I continue that I have not read, and consequently deleted on sight, every message regarding "selling out" in their subject. Now that I've said that, here's my opinion. It may have been already articulated by someone, but these are simply my two cents which I would have contributed regardless. Selling out is a completely RIDICULOUS proposition. I live my life avoiding that phrase. In fact, this will probably be my first and last word on the matter for a long time, but I will read any continuing discussion if it remains healthy and insult-free (and I don't know if it will, based on a message referring to "Dumb Sellouts" which I deleted even more quickly than the others). This is what I believe to be the meaning of selling out (if there is indeed a tangible, constant meaning to the phrase): changing or straying from one's natural path of creative vision and aspiration for NO OTHER REASON than more money and popularity and fame. It either happens a lot more than people might think, or it rarely happens at all. We can't say for sure unless we work in the record industry. TMBG are not sellouts. TMBG are making music that fits with what they feel they want to do. They want to spread this music to an audience that is as large as possible. If they were selling out, their next album would not be a children's album released on a small label. They would have their rock record already finished, and they would still be releasing it on Elektra. Sure, they have a hit single. But when people started hearing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on the radio, or when people saw "Ana Ng" on MTV, or when FLOOD sold platinum after so many years, was that considered selling out? I see TMBG's career as virtually the antithesis of selling out - doing as they feel while successfully making a living at it. As for the internet music issue, it's entirely their perogative. People can like or not like how the internet music thing is handled, but it seems to be a way that TMBG felt their music could be distributed to one of their biggest fanbases while they worked on their new albums and could still make a living. I personally don't have a problem with it. If you can't access it, or if you don't like the music displayed on it, that's your problem, and you have every right to be annoyed, but absolutely no right whatsoever to call them something they aren't. The only way I would even consider that TMBG were selling out is if they released an ENTIRE album, in all seriousness, with a major marketing campaign, of one or more of the following: a) Diane Warren-style ballads, b) Backstreet Boys-style teeny-bopper pop, c) Creed-style grunge-lite, or d) Papa Roach-style rap metal. And even then I wouldn't quite be convinced. "Selling out" is a touchy, stupid, unfounded issue that only causes bitterness and/or apathy (if the two can coexist). It's not worth going there. Typing another word on the matter would be a waste of my time. -Spencer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:10:34 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: If you want people to read your opinion you should prolly read others and you would find that EVERY SINGLE POST AGREED WITH YOU. The dumb sellout post was sarcastic. You just really showed you ass. Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Spencer Owen" To: Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 5:02 PM Subject: TMBG: Selling out, selling in... > I want to make it clear before I continue that I have not read, and consequently deleted on sight, every message regarding "selling out" in their subject. Now that I've said that, here's my opinion. It may have been already articulated by someone, but these are simply my two cents which I would have contributed regardless. > > Selling out is a completely RIDICULOUS proposition. I live my life avoiding that phrase. In fact, this will probably be my first and last word on the matter for a long time, but I will read any continuing discussion if it remains healthy and insult-free (and I don't know if it will, based on a message referring to "Dumb Sellouts" which I deleted even more quickly than the others). > > This is what I believe to be the meaning of selling out (if there is indeed a tangible, constant meaning to the phrase): changing or straying from one's natural path of creative vision and aspiration for NO OTHER REASON than more money and popularity and fame. It either happens a lot more than people might think, or it rarely happens at all. We can't say for sure unless we work in the record industry. > > TMBG are not sellouts. TMBG are making music that fits with what they feel they want to do. They want to spread this music to an audience that is as large as possible. If they were selling out, their next album would not be a children's album released on a small label. They would have their rock record already finished, and they would still be releasing it on Elektra. Sure, they have a hit single. But when people started hearing "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on the radio, or when people saw "Ana Ng" on MTV, or when FLOOD sold platinum after so many years, was that considered selling out? I see TMBG's career as virtually the antithesis of selling out - doing as they feel while successfully making a living at it. > > As for the internet music issue, it's entirely their perogative. People can like or not like how the internet music thing is handled, but it seems to be a way that TMBG felt their music could be distributed to one of their biggest fanbases while they worked on their new albums and could still make a living. I personally don't have a problem with it. If you can't access it, or if you don't like the music displayed on it, that's your problem, and you have every right to be annoyed, but absolutely no right whatsoever to call them something they aren't. > > The only way I would even consider that TMBG were selling out is if they released an ENTIRE album, in all seriousness, with a major marketing campaign, of one or more of the following: a) Diane Warren-style ballads, b) Backstreet Boys-style teeny-bopper pop, c) Creed-style grunge-lite, or d) Papa Roach-style rap metal. And even then I wouldn't quite be convinced. "Selling out" is a touchy, stupid, unfounded issue that only causes bitterness and/or apathy (if the two can coexist). It's not worth going there. Typing another word on the matter would be a waste of my time. > > -Spencer > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:18:38 -0000 From: "Eugene Jarvis" Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: >This is what I believe to be the meaning of selling out (if there is > >indeed a tangible, constant meaning to the phrase): changing or >straying >from one's natural path of creative vision and aspiration for >NO OTHER >REASON than more money and popularity and fame. It either >happens a lot >more than people might think, or it rarely happens at >all. We can't say >for sure unless we work in the record industry. > So then, would you say Chumbawamba sold out after having an anti-pop-culture attitude for so long and then rolling in their new found popularity? I mean, I believe at one time they even hated the idea of music videos, but damn, don't think they didn't jump at the idea to make one when Tubthumping hit it big... ---------------------------------------------------------- My Website: http://stalkingsarah.20m.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "Do you Like the taste? Stuff it in your face, ---------------- It's not nice to waste "Serial Man" We're not happy 'till we're chokin' ---------------- Josh Buckland So we eat some more, A.K.A "Eugene Jarvis" Throw up on the floor --------------------- Go back to the store, We're so hungry, so pathetic.." -Alice Cooper _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:24:35 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: TMBG: Yet another dream *phew* Message-ID: <20010205222435.63885.qmail@web12101.mail.yahoo.com> Here we go again: I had a hell of a dream last night. It all started with the TMBG list. I discovered a way to contact John and John in order to make requests. I asked John Linnell to write a song about being Superman, and asked Flansie to write one about Batman. I went surfing around, killing time till I got my response. I was shocked that I received it at all. The songs were short, but amazing. I was trying to tell my mom about it when I suddenly found my self in the presence of Xavier, Scott, and Jean, (Note: Third person Perspective, purely as an observer) Scott was telling the professor about the two songs, which led Xavier to conclude that John and John were the Yin and Yang of the multiverse. And through there music, Scott and Jean could reach a whole new level of being. Scott and Jean both eagerly agreed to give it a try. This is where things get a little vague because my mother is making repeated attemps at getting me out of bed. On the first try, Scott and Jean believe they have attained "the power", but learn on the second try, that "the power" is more obvious then expected. It involves tapping, with the index finger, a glowing blue/red enchanted ruby, housed on the ceremonial staff, 3 times. Upon doing this, the users forehead should glow in the same colour as that of the stone. It was Jean who figured it out by accident. Scott repeated the steps, and when his forehead began to glow a bright red, he dropped the stone in fright. The stone began to roll down a steep hillside (this is where everything looks like an old school video game (think side scroll Nintendo)) and Scott began to chase after it. The two Psychic mutants tried to stop him, unsuccessfully. By the time they reached him he was already walking on water, on a journey to the local grocery store ===== Mysterio Gal "Tit'num. Nippler -- Nibplern -- nippblelen -- in my tit." --A drunken Cyclops explains to Wolvie that he's not the only guy with hard metal in his body--Liquid Sunshine mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:34:43 -0600 From: Mitch Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: <3A7F2A83.8626D275@tmbg.org> Christina Rockwell wrote: > If you want people to read your opinion you should prolly read others and > you would find that EVERY SINGLE POST AGREED WITH YOU. The dumb sellout post > was sarcastic. > You just really showed you ass. Whoa, when did the list get taken over by rabid animals? This isn't in the spirit of peace and harmony that all TMBG fans should embrace! Take your anger and channel it into enjoyment of the song "John Lee Supertaster". I am at work, and I would be ten times more productive if they would play that song over the PA system. Then again, ten times zero is zero. Mitch! www.mitcharf.com "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:17:04 +0000 (UTC) From: not-for-mail@ufp.org Subject: TMBG: This is a test. Message-ID: <95nc9a$2cuv$2@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a test. 1568 / ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:42:27 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: Ms. Bitterness / New TMBG songs Message-ID: Regarding Chumbawamba, or however you spell it: Yes, it sounds that way, but I don't really care, either. I never really liked them. Regarding the bitter, angry Christina Rockwell message, which, oddly, I haven't gotten, except through Mitch Harding's reply: I dug through the trash and read the messages, for your benefit, and I've come to the conclusion that I still would have sent the exact same message if I had read the thread. Granted, I apologize for getting you riled up and making you swear unnecessarily at me, but I'm with Mr. Harding. Why get so upset? And I duly promise that I will read every thread I wish to comment on. I'm also with Mr. Harding in that "John Lee Supertaster" is a good song, but I must add that "Bangs" is their best song in four years. Simply ridiculously awesome. -Spencer ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:48:01 +0000 (UTC) From: not-for-mail@ufp.org Subject: TMBG: This is a test. Message-ID: <95ne38$2euu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a test. 1700 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:58:56 EST From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: <4f.710bacb.27b09840@aol.com> In a message dated 2/5/01 5:04:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, SOwen@windwardschool.org writes: > I want to make it clear before I continue that I have not read, and > consequently deleted on sight, every message regarding "selling out" in > (and I don't know if it will, based on a message referring to "Dumb Sellouts" which I deleted even more quickly than the others). Spencer: Didnt you ever hear the term "Dont judge a book by its cover?'. My post on "Dumb Sellouts" was in fact an announcement about a 2 page TMBG spread in entertainment weekly. Had you read the thread, you would have seen the "joke" develop. To state that you deleted every post on a subject and then go into a lengthy opinion on it makes no sense. What if youd' said : Hey list, you all dont know what you're talking about and your opinions suck so I delete them, but here is what I have to think. Sounds pretty arrogant, dont you think. Narrow minded at best. And, given your well formed opinion, i know that is not the case. If you avoid all material that you may not like, and surround yourself with only people who share your point of view, you''ll be voting republican in no time. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, dont let it happen to you. Mario ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:24:37 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: This is why I love Mario Also.. I wasn't angry. :D Chrissy (who wonders if Mario is back on Costello-l because she is) ---- Spencer: Didnt you ever hear the term "Dont judge a book by its cover?'. My post on "Dumb Sellouts" was in fact an announcement about a 2 page TMBG spread in entertainment weekly. Had you read the thread, you would have seen the "joke" develop. To state that you deleted every post on a subject and then go into a lengthy opinion on it makes no sense. What if youd' said : Hey list, you all dont know what you're talking about and your opinions suck so I delete them, but here is what I have to think. Sounds pretty arrogant, dont you think. Narrow minded at best. And, given your well formed opinion, i know that is not the case. If you avoid all material that you may not like, and surround yourself with only people who share your point of view, you''ll be voting republican in no time. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, dont let it happen to you. Mario ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:12:28 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: Fw: Delivery problems: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: so like i dunno if people have been having this sent to them everytime you post or not.. can this be taken care of leo? ----- Original Message ----- From: "MAILER-DAEMON" To: Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 7:30 PM Subject: Delivery problems: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... The recipient is unknown Warning, delivery failure! This is a status message indicating that a message could not be delivered to 1 or more recipients. Original message subject: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Date received: 05-Feb-2001 16:30:06 -0800 Recipients and delivery history ggr@wlg.com ---- Transcript of session follows --- 05-Feb-2001 16:30:06 -0800 Received via SMTP from USSENTERPRISE.UFP.ORG 05-Feb-2001 16:30:42 -0800 ggr@wlg.com is unknown ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:36:56 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: What's been going on. Message-ID: <20010205203656.A86343@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets ÁÁSome of you have noticed some problems with the news server, and a few other oddities. I figure it's time I share what's going on. ÁÁOver the weekend all of www.tmbg.org (along with www.tmbg.com, www.monopuff.org, www.dialasong.com, and www.theymightbegiants.com) moved to a new machine. This includes all the associated bits (the mail forwarding, news server, etc). ÁÁWhat does this mean? Well, hopefully nothing. The goal was not to have anyone notice, which was almost pulled off had it not been for problems with the news server. I think the news server issues have now been sorted out. All of the e-mail and web stuff seems to be working just fine. ÁÁWhat's still broken? Some song clips were being streamed via Real Media, which is still down. That should be back in another day or so. Also, the ftp server is still disabled, and may not come back at all. I think all the ftp files will move to the web server (most were there anyway). ÁÁIf you see something broken besides the Real Media and FTP stuff, please e-mail me so I can look into it. ÁÁFor those who are curious about the upgrade, some more information. The new server is bigger and better, but not because it needs to be just because it's new. The prime reason for the move is that the old server desperately needed many upgrades, and it was easier to migrate then to move. All in all most of the new features make my life easier, but there are a few externally visable improvements. Notably the server now speaks IPv6 on the 6Bone, and shorly all of the web sites I host will be available on IPv6 as well. ÁÁAnd now back to your normal TMBG news... -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:43:45 EST From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Yet another dream *phew* Message-ID: I'm tellin ya man, those damn nachos cause weird TMBG dreams. I had one where Flans was in my english class. I also had one where i was in this room with tables with the whole band and Linnell kept running away when I got too close. So eat Twinikies before bed you'll have dreams about your friends from just down the street being from Australia. Unless you already live there it's quite odd. I'll have to try something new tonight. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 03:46:28 From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #38-5 Message-ID: >Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:20:23 -0600 >From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" >Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out..i think not >Message-ID: <3A7D5717.9A540F45@uswest.net> > >Dan Brosnan wrote: > > > Thankyou for your time. If anyone has a stance on the subject i'd be >very > > interested in a reply. > >One person screams "SELL OUT" .....Well, I scream "KISS ME, SON OF GOD" > >------------------------------ They will simply not sell out. I'm I'm sure of one thing in life, they will never sell out. "Why?" you ask? They refuse to affiliate Themselves with anything. When They came around to Toad's Place in New Haven a couple years ago, I tried as hard as I could to get my band to open for them. We could've opened for them if Their contract allowed local openers. I honestly think this is Their decision, and not Their management company's. Then, I tried to get my radio station to set a little booth up at the show (I was promotion director of my college radio station), but they denied that, too. What I'm trying to say is They just refuse to be affiliated with anything at all. They never want to be "stuck" to one thing. It's like not wanting to be boxed into one thing. Know what I mean? -Dave _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:10:57 -0600 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... Message-ID: <3A7F7951.30A36503@uswest.net> The mind is a terrible thing. period. > A mind is a terrible thing to waste, dont let it happen to you. > > Mario ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:51:31 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Dumb Sellouts in Entertainment Weekly!!! Message-ID: <6f.10c6178c.27b0dcd3@aol.com> In a message dated 2/4/2001 1:49:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, Vazco@aol.com writes: > It a weird issue actually, it has a mock magazine inside called > EWInternet..the story prominently features the boys. > I went to Borders today, and they had the right issue (Feb. 9, Hopkins on the cover), but no EWInternet inside :( I checked every issue they had, too. Is this extra only for EW subscribers or did anyone find it on the newsstand? Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:49:00 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: Linnell finds the camera! Message-ID: hadsfasfa!!! I have to say I haven't been that excited about a TMBG appearance in a long time! I *LOVE* how Linnell finds the camera that is on him and stares into it and makes cute faces and its just great. It is something I first noticed when I saw the video bootlegs... Anyway, I think they have great chemistry on TV and I wonder what the "normal" people of the world thought of the appearance... anybody know any normal people? linnell seemed sooo young and happy and agh... heh Jishy P.S. anybody ever seen Dan Miller play that guitar before?? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:57:32 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell finds the camera! Message-ID: So yeah... Linnell looked totally hot.. so did Danny Weinkauf like my new beau. Anyway, I thought that as Jared in Saphire Bullets, Linnell looked kinda old.. but on tv he looks younger.. regardless he was cute.. and the song was very energenic. This could mean that I might actually LIKE tmbg.. which scares me. Bangs is an incredible song. Is the version that is on TMBG unlimited the same as the one that has been going around for a bit? When is TMBG on later? Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Axelrad" To: Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 12:49 AM Subject: TMBG: Linnell finds the camera! > hadsfasfa!!! > > I have to say I haven't been that excited about a TMBG appearance in a > long time! I *LOVE* how Linnell finds the camera that is on him and stares > into it and makes cute faces and its just great. It is something I first > noticed when I saw the video bootlegs... > > Anyway, I think they have great chemistry on TV and I wonder what the > "normal" people of the world thought of the appearance... anybody know any > normal people? > > linnell seemed sooo young and happy and agh... heh > > Jishy > > P.S. anybody ever seen Dan Miller play that guitar before?? > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:47:25 EST From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: on Leno Message-ID: I'd give the performance a B but the mixing a D+. I could barely hear the horns and couldn't hear the keyboard at all. It almost seems like tmbg are sick of this song already. They both seemed to be wearing forced smiles. I did get a kick out of Linnell jumping up and down and waving his arms in the air and dan millers guitar solo was pretty damn good. Lets just hope they're better tomorrow on kilborne (not that they were too bad here). Also i sure hope that Older is a new version on the Malcolm CD. There's gonna be one sad little boy if it is the Long Tall Weekend version (i can't imagine them using that crappy version on something that is so mainstream). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:53:17 EST From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: oh yeah... Message-ID: Remember what i just said? About the malcolm cd being mainstream? I know i do! Anyhoo about this whole "selling out" business... I always thought that to "sell out" you would have to change your existing sound drastically in order to ride on a current trend. Take Cherry Popping Daddies. They were a total Ska band, then they changed their sound completely and BANG their music is on the preview for My Favorite Martian! I'd say that tmbg are definately a lot more mainstream than they have been in the last few years BUT they are definately not selling out. Plus they are just too damn weird to ever become totally mainstream. There will always be the "for sciences" and the "spiders" and the "exquisite dead guys" on their albums that will just totally weird out the average listener. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-6 *****************************