Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 38, Number 7 Wednesday, 7 February 2001 Topics: TMBG: TMBG ON LENO TMBG: Re: TMBG ON LENO Re[2]: TMBG: Selling out..i think not TMBG: Selling out--NOT! Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited - 2 Re: TMBG: on Leno Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited - 2 TMBG: Yeah, She Bangs Re: TMBG: Yeah, She Bangs TMBG: Stone Roses TMBG: RE: The Stone Roses and Unlimited 2 downloads TMBG: Tonight show is replayed. TMBG: Re: Stone Roses TMBG: Re: Selling out, selling in... TMBG: RE: Unlimited 2 downloads TMBG: EW - no insert mag? TMBG: Oops TMBG: RE: Leno and THE DANS TMBG: Apologies TMBG: TRL!!! TMBG: Glittery Suits! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:03:11 EST From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG ON LENO Message-ID: <8d.2098e45.27b15e1f@aol.com> Ahhhh...I fell asleed AND the VCR taped an hour of snow...my technological shortcomings are showing. I know that they run the Tonight show again like at 3am or something, but i dont recall if its the next night or next week..does anyone know when they would show it again? Did the play Boss of me only? thanks gang, mario ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:08:46 -0500 From: Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Selling out..i think not Message-ID: <0102069814.AA981472130@smtplink.sterl.com> I especially love this part: >Yes, that's right, TMBG: > the band that's been selling out for 18 years now with nothing to show > for it. Boy's got a way with a phrase..... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** (Hey, Ryan, is that letter a testimony to the Indiana educational system, or were you born with a flair for irony?) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:07:08 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Subject: TMBG: Selling out--NOT! Message-ID: <3A80131C.46D9A40C@st.com> Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc > The recipient is unknown > > Warning, delivery failure! This is a status message indicating that a message could not be > delivered to 1 or more recipients. > > Original message subject: TMBG: Selling out--NOT! > Date received: 05-Feb-2001 09:32:09 -0800 > > Recipients and delivery history > > ggr@wlg.com > ---- Transcript of session follows --- > 05-Feb-2001 09:32:09 -0800 Received via SMTP from USSENTERPRISE.UFP.ORG > 05-Feb-2001 09:32:55 -0800 ggr@wlg.com is unknown > > Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:36:56 -0500 > From: Leo Bicknell > Subject: TMBG: What's been going on. > Message-ID: <20010205203656.A86343@ussenterprise.ufp.org> > Organization: United Federation of Planets > > Some of you have noticed some problems with the news server, > and a few other oddities. Ohhhh no! My witty chatter was bounced by the list-server yesterday. I just have to repost it: Waah waah waah! TMBG has sold out! I liked them better when they were totally unknown, and I was soooo cool because I liked them and nobody else did. Their music always stay just like the early stuff. In fact, if they become any more popular, I won't like them any more, and will burn my Flood CD, and only listen to their old demo tape and dial-a-song recordings. They should boycott any TV apperarances, and play for my birthday party. They are just not loyal to me, their greatest fan -- "I'M THE BIGGEST ONE" after all. I watched the new VH1-"Behind the Music" about Huey Lewis and the News last night. Boy, these guys lost most of their fans because they didn't keep churning out albums according to the same formula, and instead, followed their own passion. Selling out is just the opposite--trying to guess what's popular and then trying to hit that moving target. Actually TMBG should keep trying new things and then grab all the fame and money while they can. I think that they are handling themselves quite well. They are able to make a comfortable living by writing, playing, and selling their music. They are both very talented gugs, and they deserve to use their talents to pay their bills. Somebody mentioned that they were looking for TMBG videos. They should visit my ... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS VIDEO BOOTLEG PROJECT at http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg.htm Bookmark it today! Link it to your TMBG page! And if you like Joe Jackson, or want to find out who Graham Mabey usually plays with, check out my Joe Jackson page at http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/joej.htm ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:57:25 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited - 2 Message-ID: 1) Hovering Sombrero 2) Bangs - two new songs supposedly from the rock album. 3) Lincoln, Washington, and That Jefferson Guy 4) Down to the Bottom of the Sea 5) It's Getting Late 6) The Army's Tired Now 7) Truth in Your Words 8) Budnitz #1 - tracks from the new McSweeney's. 9) John Lee Supertaster 10) In the Middle - from "NO!". 11) Your Mom's Alright - collab. w/Doughty (duh). ...and the track that's "from the crypt" this week is "All Alone," the "country ballad" (yeah, sure) from Brave New World about the germ on the moon. Peace out in Baghdad, y'all. -Spencer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:13:56 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: on Leno Message-ID: <3A8046F1.5F1E@bgnet.bgsu.edu> I have to agree on the mixing part. That really sucked. But I did enjoy the performance. Linnell's bouncing and waving thing looked very old-school TMBG, but at the same time, it's kind of novel for non-fans. Yep, they should do better on Kilborne. I thought it was funny that Koppel was there with the BNW series last year. A reunion of sorts. -- K.C. Kless "Sic. Non. Forsan. Nescio. Potesne iterare?" Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:22:22 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited - 2 Message-ID: <3A8048EA.7436@bgnet.bgsu.edu> I can't say that Bangs is that great at all. I don't know why. Your Mom's Alright is a very cool song. John Lee at least sounds much better than the preview of the session we got back last spring/summer. This little edition is filled with lots of awesome instrumental parts, and I almost wish The Army's Tired Now was entirely instrumental. It would sound much cooler that way. I'm glad they have developed as musicians: in the early years, especially with limited means they produced very lyrically cool songs. Now, the opposite is true, many songs (especially after all this MitM work) have duller lyrics and remarkable instrumental features. That's really cool. -- K.C. Kless "Sic. Non. Forsan. Nescio. Potesne iterare?" Commissioner, Triumvir Fantasy Sports docworm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:09:50 -0500 From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: TMBG: Yeah, She Bangs Message-ID: There seems to be a lot of debate on Bangs and I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I personally love it when TMBG does a love song, it's rare and that what makes it really good. I love songs where they sort of Deify the girl. Songs like "She's An Angel". TMBG have a really great way of expressing love in a novel way that is completely thier own. "Bangs" has this great sense of John really being in love with this girl and that's what makes it so touching. I love TMBG songs that I can sing to my girl friend and "Bangs" is definately one of those. Peas Out, Justin _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:24:22 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeah, She Bangs Message-ID: I totally know what you mean about "Bangs" being a love song. I mean, I thought about it, and at first I thought that it was sort of a weird fetishistic thing ("I'm only holding your hand / So I can look at your... / Bangs"), which, to be honest, would not be out of Linnell's lyrical range. But then I realized that it is indeed one of those songs where it's just a unique way of expressing true love. The line about the "face that needs no makeup" sort of clinched it for me, as well as: "And although I like you anyway, check out your haircut..." It makes Linnell sound like a sweet, incredibly articulate teenager. Although the lyrics are neat, though, I have to say I think it's one of Linnell's best melodies. It honestly has rarely left my head since the first time I heard it on Feb. 1. Everything about the song is perfectly arranged; the guitar line that compliments the verses starting with the second is genius in its simplicity. It's nice and long for a TMBG song, too - three and a half minutes. I wish they'd played this live in Anaheim. Not to say it wasn't an awesome show anyway, but still. I wish they'd played it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:07:57 -0500 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Stone Roses Message-ID: <001601c08faf$56516ec0$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> All this talk about the new TMBG song "Bangs" (which, I should add, is a very catchy tune) has reminded me of this song by a great band I used to listen to back in the day. They were called The Stone Roses. The song I am thinking of is called She Bangs The Drums. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of these guys, becaue I don't remember them as being a very popular band despite their talent. If you've never heard them before, I suggest you go download the song I mentioned off Napster. Its a safe bet that a TMBG fan would enjoy it. I know that this message is astronomically off-topic, but the conversation of late has been somewhat annoying and childish, so I thought I would throw something worthwhile into your mailbox. Go check out the Stone Roses! Jon ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:20:15 -0500 (EST) From: Matt James Subject: TMBG: RE: The Stone Roses and Unlimited 2 downloads Message-ID: <200102062020.PAA22441@fellspt.charm.net> > All this talk about the new TMBG song "Bangs" (which, I should add, is a = > very catchy tune) has reminded me of this song by a great band I used to = > listen to back in the day. They were called The Stone Roses. The song = > I am thinking of is called She Bangs The Drums. =20 > > I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of these guys, becaue = > I don't remember them as being a very popular band despite their talent. > > If you've never heard them before, I suggest you go download the song I = > mentioned off Napster. Its a safe bet that a TMBG fan would enjoy it. > > I know that this message is astronomically off-topic, but the = > conversation of late has been somewhat annoying and childish, so I = > thought I would throw something worthwhile into your mailbox. Go check = > out the Stone Roses! > > Jon I can't say I was a huge Stone Roses fan, but I did get the single Fools Gold which was very good. I think there were around about 10 or so years ago, a band from Britain? I remember talking to a friend and noticing how they had quite a cult following. One thing that turned me off on them was the horrible single, Second Coming they came out with a number of years back. I'm sorry to say I didn't investigate them much beyond that, I was planning to but never got around to it. Speaking of the new TMBG downloads of Unlimited 2, when I downloaded all of the songs, 2 of them, All Alone and one other I've written down at home did not contain a complete song. I need to try to download these 2 again to see if there might have been a glitch in my modem connection, I hope it was. I know that the songs weren't complete because Flans or Linnell would be in the middle of a lyric and then Windows Media Player would just get to the end and stop. Has anyone experienced this? -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:01:39 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Tonight show is replayed. Message-ID: <95posj$l1f$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Just thought you'd like to know that NBC repeats the Tonight Show one week after the original airing at 2:05am.. so last night's edition with TMBG will be replayed on Monday the 12th (technicly Tuesday the 13th) at 2:05am eastern standard time. -MIke ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:37:43 -0500 From: "Christina Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Stone Roses Message-ID: hey jon, I remember the stone roses being somewhat popular. I didn't really listen to commecrial radio in HS so its possible that I remember their popularity to be bigger than it was since they were played a lot on the station that I listened to. They are good. She bangs the Drums is a good song too. Anyway adios, and you all should drive up to new york next time there is a show here. They last one was too cool. I will totally see y'all at the next philly show ;-). Chrissy ----- Original Message ----- From: Jon To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 3:07 PM Subject: TMBG: Stone Roses All this talk about the new TMBG song "Bangs" (which, I should add, is a very catchy tune) has reminded me of this song by a great band I used to listen to back in the day. They were called The Stone Roses. The song I am thinking of is called She Bangs The Drums. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of these guys, becaue I don't remember them as being a very popular band despite their talent. If you've never heard them before, I suggest you go download the song I mentioned off Napster. Its a safe bet that a TMBG fan would enjoy it. I know that this message is astronomically off-topic, but the conversation of late has been somewhat annoying and childish, so I thought I would throw something worthwhile into your mailbox. Go check out the Stone Roses! Jon ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:24:55 -0800 From: "Spencer Owen" Subject: TMBG: RE: Unlimited 2 downloads Message-ID: > Speaking of the new TMBG downloads of Unlimited 2, when I downloaded all > of the songs, 2 of them, All Alone and one other I've written down at home > did not contain a complete song. I need to try to download these 2 again > to see if there might have been a glitch in my modem connection, I hope it was. It probably was. I downloaded each song fully. I think it was just your connection. - Spencer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:00:35 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: EW - no insert mag? Message-ID: When I looked at the Feb. 9th issue of Entertainment Weekly in the store there was not a EW Internet insert magazine :( Has anybody else noticed this? Is it only inserted in the copies sent to individuals on subscriptions? -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "Now I'm wishing you here and wishing you dead simultaneously" - Sean Altman ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:10:07 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Oops Message-ID: <53.205efe2.27b1ec5f@aol.com> I hit send before I could finish the email..I attatched a file of the EW pic for those of us not fortunate enough to find the insert. Enjoy! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:21:51 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: RE: Leno and THE DANS Message-ID: Ladies and Gentleman!, Well i felt that tmbg played better on Conan(awhile back) than on Leno but i really liked how animated they were. Linnel's bouncing around was neat (for the fans more than the lay person) and Flansburgh and Wienkauf were sweet. I loved Danny's guitar. They didn't give much attention to Dan hickey. Anyway all in all i give it a B/B+. ***Just a side question: I think the BAND OF DANS are by far the coolest band john and john have played with. Agree/ disagree? dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:24:29 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Apologies Message-ID: About that missing attachment, I got it off of a post on the TMBG web board, but I was going to unattach it since I didn't really have permission to do that. Then when I sent the message, it started uploading, so I thought it was sent. Apparently, it wasn't. I'm really sorry! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:28:30 EST From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TRL!!! Message-ID: <77.fe6fd0b.27b20cce@aol.com> Hey did anyone just happen to see TRL at about 9:00? (tuesday evening) they had They!! no, i don't watch trl...heh...somehow a friend of mine knew this...John Norris came on and started talking about the soundtrack and then said it had some 'pretty consistantly cool music'. apparently there was a party in LA, and mtv was there (of course). so they showed some footage from it. although they NEVER spoke to They, They were in almost every shot in the background. Also, they said that it features music from 'a band who's almost as weird as the show' or something to that effect, 'they might be giants'. hehe!! that was REALLY exciting. they also played a clip of the video....and the second part too, the part they didn't play on tv (with flans being barbecued...) sorry....but that was a very exciting moment.... jessie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #38-7 *****************************