Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 24 Saturday, 24 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: No! finds a home! TMBG: Sony Wonder Records offices say no! Re: TMBG: TMBG Feature-length Documentary: Hitting Theaters Next Year! Re: TMBG: TMBG : Recher Theatre show / Gigantic Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans in my local paper! McSweeny's, Malcolm, Re: TMBG: TMBG Feature-length Documentary: Hitting Theaters Next Year! Re:TMBG: Re: Oblongs TMBG: McSweeny's Re: TMBG: McSweeny's Re: TMBG: McSweeny's TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Access or No Re: TMBG: McSweeny's TMBG: Monsters of Mud TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Re: TMBG: Monsters of Mud Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:17:53 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: No! finds a home! Message-ID: Adam Varn, of Twistid fame (or is it infamy, hehe), posted a review of last night's show in Tallahassee, FL, and he reports that Flans announced that No! will be released on Sony Wonder Records, yay! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:03:59 -0800 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Feature-length Documentary: Hitting Theaters Next Message-ID: <3ABB49BB.B934C1A6@pacificnet.net> Year! The Demonic Kangaroo wrote: > Today, I had a discussion with AJ Schnack, who works with Bonfire Films of > America and is directing the upcoming They Might Be Giants feature-length > documentary. When I read this, the first thing I did was glance at my calendar to see if its April 1st already. No, if it was we'd be seeing the usual post about Linnell being killed in an auto accident and Flansburgh choking to death on a ham sandwich. Then I thought of the time when someone on the list reported that Johns were in negotiations to do an animated series starring themselves. A link to a web site called The Onion was included. Foolishly, I got excited. Back then I didn't know The Onion is a satirical site and I really believed the story. Considering, this comes from TDK, I'll go ahead and believe it. Its great news but I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing it show up at theaters. If it does, I'll bet it will be a very, very, very, limited release. Consider the theatrical run of Radiohead's "Meeting People is Easy". Here in L.A. it got shown at a couple of midnight shows. And Radiohead is much more well know than TMBG. Also, wasn't there a Barenaked Ladies movie recently? (Or did I dream that?) BNL is much more popular and known than TMBG and that movie's theatrical run was almost non-existent. It seems that some small films are screened theatrically for technical reasons or contractual obligations. My bet is if it hits the big screen, you will have to drive to New York or Los Angeles and it will be screening at 11 AM on Sunday morning in a college campus auditorium. I'm exaggerating ...but only slightly. I'm guessing it would play in New York because its near a large portion of TMBG's biggest fans. And L.A. because that's where Bonfire Films is located. When it comes to video, 4 weeks later, you'll have to special order it. I know I'm being negative But I hope I'm wrong. I think what could give it a slightly bigger releases is if "Our Name Is John" (or whatever its going to be called) is a hit of some kind and that is a possibility. Good luck to them all. (And us on getting to see it.) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:12:32 -0800 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Recher Theatre show / Gigantic Message-ID: <3ABB4BBC.57791AC6@pacificnet.net> Dylan Flipse wrote: > > > Oh yah, there was some new stuff at the merch table. New tshirt, in a red > available in a nice range of sizes. Same design, but in light blue, youth > large only. And for $7, some of your very own TMBG coffee. > Is that still the "John Henry Blend"? How long can coffe beans stay fresh? Or is it in new packaging? Maybe its the new "Unreliable Narrarator Blend" -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:18:18 -0800 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview with Flans in my local paper! McSweeny's, Message-ID: <3ABB4D14.8FAA52F8@pacificnet.net> Malcolm, mainstream, & more > ...37 short songs for a CD > that will accompany the new issue of McSweeny's (in stores March 20). > Hey! Wait a second! "March 20"! You mean its out already? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:55:32 -0500 From: "Lee Steel" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Feature-length Documentary: Hitting Theaters Next Message-ID: <009f01c0b3a0$edac3880$17050a0a@ergogroup.com> Year! They Might Be Giants will perform at Toads Place in New Haven, Connecticut on April 17th with opening band OKGO. Hope to see some of you there. Lee ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:29:14 -0500 From: Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: Oblongs Message-ID: <0103239853.AA985357757@smtplink.sterl.com> >> Que "buttknobs"? Must have been before my time, I'd love to catch up.... >> Karin H >Buttknobs suck! >--nicole "lactose intolerant" wonder nerd Umm, okay.... Thanks for clearing that up for me! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:54:47 -0700 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: McSweeny's Message-ID: Hey... Anyone know what volume of McSweeny's I should be buying, by chance? :> Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:26:14 -0500 From: "andrew blase" Subject: Re: TMBG: McSweeny's Message-ID: Issue #6 >From: "Nicholas Wolf" >Reply-To: "Nicholas Wolf" >To: >Subject: TMBG: McSweeny's >Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:54:47 -0700 > >Hey... Anyone know what volume of McSweeny's I should be buying, by >chance? >:> > >Signed, >ÁÁNicholas Wolf >ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:31:42 -0500 From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: McSweeny's Message-ID: Where can we get it? I have called a few places around here and they don't know what I'm talking about. >From: "Nicholas Wolf" >Reply-To: "Nicholas Wolf" >To: >Subject: TMBG: McSweeny's >Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:54:47 -0700 > >Hey... Anyone know what volume of McSweeny's I should be buying, by >chance? >:> > >Signed, >ÁÁNicholas Wolf >ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:54:08 -0600 From: TOM J ACQUISTO Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Access or No Message-ID: <20010323.175409.-873377.0.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> >Well, then why would you sign up with TMBG-U at all? Why wouldn't you just wait until it's not available anymore and then go, "WELP! It's not availble. Guess I'll burn it to CD now!" Because many people don't want to wait, they want that page of brand new TMBG material right when it comes out. They want it, they crave it. That's why TMBG Unlimited exists. TMBG fans can't wait for a new album of quality songs. So they pay for songs like Mr. Fang, sure there's a catchy horn part but listen to the lyrics, I mean come on. I'm just a little urked by TMBG's latest direction. Museum of Idiots, and the original Finished with Lies were brilliant but then something like Monsters of Mud or the Sun is on Fire and I'm a little disapointed and don't want to hear them for a while. I'd like to know if anyone shares my feelings on this. Does it seem like sometimes they just don't try because they don't have to. Like they're sitting there going I can't believe they liked Monsters of Mud, we could make monsters of money if we just pump out anything. anyone? anyone? nick ps I'm not saying that all their new songs are bad they're just very inconsistant, in a great or horrible kind of way. Like why would they take finished with lies and turn it into what they did. It's on dial-a-song now. They changed the melody and everything. starting now I'm telling the truth I'm finished with//the ideas notes and words. did anyone else catch that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:52:41 -0700 (MST) From: Jicholas Wolf Subject: Re: TMBG: McSweeny's Message-ID: Go to www.mcsweenys.net, I think it is. At the bottom of the page they have a bunch of links to lists of stores all over the US that carry the magazine. I can't get it here, but my brother can in Oregon. Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Kristin . wrote: > Where can we get it? I have called a few places around here and they don't > know what I'm talking about. > > > >From: "Nicholas Wolf" > >Reply-To: "Nicholas Wolf" > >To: > >Subject: TMBG: McSweeny's > >Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:54:47 -0700 > > > >Hey... Anyone know what volume of McSweeny's I should be buying, by > >chance? > >:> > > > >Signed, > >ÁÁNicholas Wolf > >ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:57:47 -0700 (MST) From: Jicholas Wolf Subject: TMBG: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: Bear in mind that Monsters of Mud is a kid's song, first off. It's meant to be simplistic to a point that small children can sing along more easily. I happen to like it regardless, and while I can't say I like every new song they've come out with lately, I can say that I've had the same problems with other albums of Theirs, and it always winds up rectifying itself later. You can dislike their new stuff if you want, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would agree with you, but give the stuff some time. It might just grow on you. ;) Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:43:10 -0800 From: "NetGuy" Subject: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <99h54a$25kq$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Jicholas Wolf wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0103231655330.26326-100000@eldorado.nmt.edu... > Bear in mind that Monsters of Mud is a kid's song, first off. It's meant > to be simplistic to a point that small children can sing along more > easily. I happen to like it regardless Monsters of mud, Your Mom's Alright, I've got a fang and Bangs.... INSTANTLY rose to the general area of my favorite TMBG songs list.... who's with me? HUZZAH! -- "All of those people should be turned into pie" - NetGuy ICQ: 41184142 Aol: geonetguy7 Yahoo: The_netguy MSN: The_netguy@hotmail.com ~;~ : New Design! http://home.talkcity.com/ChaplinCt/the_netguy/ Official a.r.t site: http://alt.romance.teen2.welcome.to/ "Baby check this out I've got something to say, but it's so loud in here! When they stop the drum machine and I can think again, I'll remember what it was" - J. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:10:30 -0800 (PST) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <20010324061030.80227.qmail@web12103.mail.yahoo.com> I feel I should point out that I'm obssessed with this song!!!!!!! I even programmed it into my Sims game so I could repeat it endlessly, Egads! I wanna vidio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monster Muppets!!!! And Linnell's monster voice makes me crazy with lust *bloogoogoogoog* *still can't believe I'll see them tomorow* ===== Mysterio Gal "Sure," he says with a smile, "we know a lot more now and have the benefit of having made a tremendous amount of mistakes!" --Crichton commenting on future game programming mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-24 ******************************