Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 25 Sunday, 25 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Re: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-24 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-24 Re: TMBG: Monsters of Mud Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:06:00 -0800 From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <> Me too, me too. It sounds like the Sesame Street theme song as rewritten by Elvis Costello and arranged by Brian Wilson back in 1966 (gotta love those fake-Mike Love backing vocals). I love the whole thing, start to finish -- and that's rare for me with TMBG songs these days. I love that it's totally for kids, and Linnell still manages to throw in a line like "All of our values have been challenged by the Monsters of Mud." Perfect. Stuff like this is why I haven't given up on TMBG. For every "Your Mom's Alright" or "Dr. Worm" (songs where I shake my head and say "Come on. You're the same band that wrote 'Where Your Eyes Don't Go' and 'Birdhouse' and many, MANY other works of genius...I know you're busy writing Daily Show music or whatever, but try, a LITTLE, for us!?") there's an "Older" or an "On Earth My Nina" or a "Museum of Idiots." But sometimes I really wonder about these guys. Why would they put "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" on an official studio album and not "Sensurround"? _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:10:54 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: Why would they put "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" on >an >official studio album and not "Sensurround"? On the contarary of what some people believe to be true, it's not just for you. I think more importantly it's what the John's like that comes first. They're always saying that they dont write songs and say "Oh thats sounds good people will eat that up" they do it cause they like it...sure 'How can I sing like a Girl" is not a 'Birdhouse' or the kick ass now currently my favorite and i listen to it everyday Monsters of Mud. But maybe there was more underneath that the John's liked about it. the lyrics, a guitar riff or the fact that the backstory is a funny story that they all like to laugh about. People we have had this discussion before.... No band is 100% EVERY SONG IS NOT GOING BE THE THERE BEST SONG EVER. Whats stopping them from writing a song like 'I've got a Fang'? Nothing. Absolutly nothing. You think they finished that song and thought "Hmmm...3 out of 5 may not like it...let's shelve it" NO! they said "WE like it, put it out" those of you complaining that the quality of unlimited is subpar and the songs are lame well then stop subscribing. They saw the demand was there they offered it up and those who are up for the taking? well allright! not your thing...fine. Quit your bitchin' there not catering just to YOU.... Now let us never speak of this again. Erich _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:17:05 -0700 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-24 Message-ID: Hey All >Museum of Idiots, >and the original Finished with Lies were brilliant but then something >like Monsters of Mud or the Sun is on Fire and I'm a little disapointed >and don't want to hear them for a while. I'd like to know if anyone >shares my feelings on this. Does it seem like sometimes they just don't >try because they don't have to. Like they're sitting there going I can't >believe they liked Monsters of Mud, we could make monsters of money if we >just pump out anything. >anyone? >anyone? Monsters of Mud INSTANTLY became my FAVORITE new sonng on TMBG Unlimited-its so catchy and totally goes back to the way the Johns write music-they write about whatever happens to pop into their heads at the time and make a great song out of it. They are extremeely talented and intelligent-who else do you know that uses words like 'allotheria" and "rhododendron" in their songs and make them work? Not many. They are great that way-They don't follow any rules or seem to care about what people think-they said in a radio gig that now they "actually have verses and choruses in our songs and before, it was just music for nobody" (Jan 30, 2001; KENZ 107.5 FM, SLC Ut. I was at that gig and have the whole End Zone performance recorded off the radio, if anyone is interested in a cassette copy) >ps I'm not saying that all their new songs are bad they're just very >inconsistant, in a great or horrible kind of way. Like why would they >take finished with lies and turn it into what they did. It's on >dial-a-song now. They changed the melody and everything. > >starting now I'm telling the truth I'm finished with//the ideas notes and >words. >did anyone else catch that. TMBG are sort of unpredictable in what They will do next, so I can hardly agree with your point about Them being inconsistent. If they aren't consistent to begin with, how can they ever be inconsistent? It's a quality that makes their music so infectious. I am always curious as to what they will come up with next! I will agree though that there are some of their songs I like less than others, but that isn't going to stop me from listening to those songs altogether. Change is good-just means they are trying to keep their creative juices flowing. A lot of other bands and artists will change a song we were perfectly happy with from the start, thinking they can make it better, and end up not accomplishing their goal. Howard Jones is notorious for this. I hear the demo versions or first releases of his songs and fall in love with them. Then he changes them and releases a different version of the same song, and somehow it isn't as good. Musicians can be perfectionists that way, and it isn't a phenomenon that is limited to just a few artists. >Bear in mind that Monsters of Mud is a kid's song, first off. It's meant >to be simplistic to a point that small children can sing along more >easily. I happen to like it regardless, and while I can't say I like >every new song they've come out with lately, I can say that I've had the >same problems with other albums of Theirs, and it always winds up >rectifying itself later. You can dislike their new stuff if you want, and >I'm sure there are a lot of people who would agree with you, but give the >stuff some time. It might just grow on you. ;) Right on Nicholas! TMBG has a way with growing on you! There are songs that I sort of liked the first time I heard them, and then as I listened to them more I just couldn't getr enough and would play those sonmgs over and over on repeat mode. >Monsters of mud, Your Mom's Alright, I've got a fang and Bangs.... >INSTANTLY >rose to the general area of my favorite TMBG songs list.... who's with me? >HUZZAH! Bangs is an awesome song. I've Got A Fang is very strange, but somehow is very adhesive to brain tissue. I need a little more time to warm up to Your Mom's Alright, but it will become a favorite eventually! Jen People's Republic of Utah _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 19:58:41 From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-24 Message-ID: (while stuffing down General Tso's chicken with white rice on my lunch break...) >I'm just a little urked by TMBG's latest direction. Museum of Idiots, >and the original Finished with Lies were brilliant but then something >like Monsters of Mud or the Sun is on Fire and I'm a little disapointed >and don't want to hear them for a while. I'd like to know if anyone >shares my feelings on this. Does it seem like sometimes they just don't >try because they don't have to. Like they're sitting there going I can't >believe they liked Monsters of Mud, we could make monsters of money if >we just pump out anything. Ok, first I'm biased because I write songs too, and I analyze Their songs maybe a little different than the average listener. I'd like to say I'm simply delighted with most of Their new stuff. 4 of 2, I've Got a Fang, and Boss of Me are all excellently crafted songs. I kinda think They've gone nothing but uphill writing-wise since Apollo 18. They were both very creative on everything up to Apollo 18 for the most part. I dunno. I can't seem to listen to the first half of Apollo 18 and like it as much as the rest of the record. To me, Apollo 18 is a straneg record cause I see it as a turning point. Like the last half of Apollo 18 (except Fingertips) totally makes sense when you play John Henry right after it. It's just that Mammal, My Evil Twin, and later songs like An Unrelated thing, I should be allowed to think, Stompbox, SEXXY, and The Bells don't seem to be thought out as well as Narrow Your Eyes, Dinnerbell, How Can I Sing Like a Girl, and Pet Name. I guess I'm trying to say that in the Apollo 18 to Factory Showroom period, they weren't very consistent with writing well-thought out songs, but now they just seem to be putting more thought and feeling into them. And you get a product that reflects the time spent on it. Either they're more clever, or a little more musically complex, or just have better hooks. I dunno. I guess it's just that I've liked practically everything new that's come out since FS. Where am I going with this? >ps I'm not saying that all their new songs are bad they're just very >inconsistant, in a great or horrible kind of way. Like why would they >take finished with lies and turn it into what they did. It's on >dial-a-song now. They changed the melody and everything. I see it as the other way around. I think they're style has solidified even more now. I think them having a backup band was they best thing that ever happened to them.... again biased, being in a Rock band. =] I will SO be at Toad's Place, and if anyone's going to the Worcester Polytechnic Institute show, come see my band play. The quad that's in front of the auditorium They're playing in that night has a bunch of bands during the daytime. It's called "Indiefest", and my band's called SiMent. So, technically, we're opening for TMBG. Cool, eh? -Dave www.siment.net _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:29:16 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <3ABD1FBD.1C43@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Just a quick thought on the current comparison on quality of work: Elektra could be a factor. I'm not saying that Elektra made They write "bad" songs, but when you're running your own career instead of having a label trying to control you, it might make a difference in your song writing. But I don't know since I've never had a record company deal. -K.C. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-25 ******************************