Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 27 Tuesday, 27 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud (none) TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Stage Jumpers TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Re: TMBG: pre-march tmbg unlimited? Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Recher Theatre show / Gigantic Re: TMBG: The old "going downhill" argument Re: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud RE: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud TMBG: TMBG documentary? TMBG: State Songs TMBG: OKGO TMBG: A funny thing I forgot in my review Re: TMBG: Stage Jumpers TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Re: TMBG: OKGO Re: TMBG: Stage Jumpers TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Semi-TMBG: actually more Mono Puff related Re: TMBG: OKGO Re: TMBG: OKGO Re: TMBG: OKGO TMBG: Re: TMBG documentary? Re: Semi-TMBG: actually more Mono Puff related Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:27:38 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Message-ID: <3f.128f7cd2.27f081aa@aol.com> I don't know why, but EVERY time I go to see TMBG, except on Thanksgiving, I always end up on Linnell's side. #Not that I mind, #hehe, but I would like to give Flans equal time for good photo ops and just 'cause I love the guy. #So anyway, we got into Jannus Landing, and sure enough, Flans's side and the middle were full, so I was on Linnell side yet again. #OKGO were on first, and they won the crowd over by covering "Kiss Me, Son of God," which they said they were doing for the first time that night. They weren't bad! #Muckaferguson is still my fave TMBG opening band, though, I think. #Then TMBG came out, and despite being on Linnell's side, I still managed to get some (hopefully) good pics of Flans since that boy didn't stay on his side of the stage for long. #Anyway, here's the 3/24 setlist, not all in correct order: Subliminal (I love when they start with this because it's the first TMBG song I ever heard knowing it was them), Particle Man, SEXXY, Fingertips, James K. Polk (with cannon), Drink, Mr. Tambourine Man, Ana Ng, Maybe I Know (Linnell: #Here's a song we didn't write...YEAH! #Go ahead, hurt our feelings for cheering a song that's not ours...we'll just go kill ourselves."), I've Got a Fang, She's Actual Size, Cyclops Rock, Older (Flans: #"John, that was a very strange, creepy low sound you made. I was scared. #I hope you can remember that for tomorrow." #Linnell: #If there IS a tomorrow"), Birdhouse in Your Soul, Letterbox, Dr. Worm, Why Does the Sun Shine?, Twistin, They Might Be Giants, Hypnotist of Ladies, NYC, Robot Parade (Flans was on fire for this one, bounding back and fourth across the stage), Istanbul, Spy (with Linnell singing the chorus of "Elusive Butterfly of Love"), and Sleepwalkers. #Sadly, my mom and I had to leave right away due to car troubles, so we didn't get to see Flans. 3/25 The Chili Pepper is another outdoor venue, and the weather was nice, if a bit muggy (which may be why Dan Miller didn't wear a hat). #When we got their, TMBG were still warming up, and we got to hear "Drink" and "Til My Head Falls Off." #OKGO opened again, and again did "Kiss Me, Son of God." #When TMBG came out, it was obvious that Flans was a bit wasted, no doubt from overexerting himself the night before. ##The setlist for this show is in accurate order because my dad got one for me :) Older (yes, Linnell did remember the "creepy note), Boss of Me, I've Got a Fang, Fingertips, Particle Man (with "Don't Cry Out Loud" in the middle), Famous Polka, Drink, She's Actual Size, Letterbox, Cyclops Rock, James K. Polk (with cannon), Spy, "Born in a Graveyard" intro for Dan Hickey to do the glockenspiel for Shoehorn with Teeth, followed by the "cd skip version," #in which John and John sing the song very low and very fast, and poor Dan has to figure out where to hit his notes), Thunderbird, #Don't Let's Start, Pet Name, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Guitar, Twistin', Dig My Grave (on the setlist, but not played), and Dr. Worm. #During Dr. Worm, some asshole tried to jump onstage, causing them to cut the encores, which according to the setlist would have been (encore #1) Robot Parade, They Might Be Giants (on the setlist, there's an arrow #pointin from the word They to a box in which Flans #has written "JB HITS!" #Does anyone have a clue what that means?), and (encore #2) Istanbul, and Sleepwalkers. #The jerk who got onstage also apparently caused Flans not to come out, so I didn't get to see him again. #Ah, well, I'm sure I'll have other chances. All in all, two awesome shows! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:56:11 -0500 (EST) From: damek@earthling.net Subject: (none) Message-ID: <010326095611L2.00048@weba4.iname.net> > >They saw the demand was there they offered it up > >and those who are up for the taking? well allright! > > Somebody set up us the bomb. You have no chance to survive > make your time. What you say?! -adam --------------------------------------------------- Get free personalized email at http://www.iname.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:08:03 -0700 (MST) From: Jicholas Wolf Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-ID: All your base are belong to us! I have GOT to get that game... :> Signed, ÁÁNWW On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 damek@earthling.net wrote: > > >They saw the demand was there they offered it up > > >and those who are up for the taking? well allright! > > > > Somebody set up us the bomb. You have no chance to survive > > make your time. > > What you say?! > > -adam > > > --------------------------------------------------- > Get free personalized email at http://www.iname.com > Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:14:08 EST From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Stage Jumpers TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Message-ID: In a message dated 3/26/01 6:34:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, Kaylum@aol.com writes: > The jerk who got onstage also > apparently caused Flans not to come out, so I didn't get to see him again. > Ah, well, I'm sure I'll have other chances. All in all, two awesome > shows! > > This was 3 jerks who not only tried to get onstage, but DID!! They were promptly tossed off the stage and fortunately one of them broke their wrist or forearm. ..i hope its his monkey spanking hand..fucking asshole! Ruined it for the rest of us. It was an otherwise perfect show... Flans was really pissed, they finished Dr worm and we never saw them again. I hope those assholes are proud of themselves. I know, i know, its harsh to be happy someone broke a bone, but so be it...wish they'd cracked their skulls, not like there are any brains to protect. Jerks! Mario ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:30:19 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Recher Theatre show / Gigantic Message-ID: Paul: >Yeah! Matt's Life Savings! The opinion expressing the utter coolness of >this name might have been mine. I think that would be a super groovy name >for the next record. Way, WAY better than the candidate names listed on >the >Emusic poll. The name, of course comes from a comment that one-time list >poster Matt James (I think) made to the effect that he would give his life >savings to get his hands on TMBG's next record (or something). Someone >else >(not me or Matt) then suggested that MLS would be a cool name for their >next >record, and we've been periodically dragging it out as a possible name for >the last six years. I'm pretty sure it was the aforementioned Mike Leffel who came up with "Matt's Life Savings" as a title. This was before I joined the list, but I looked it up in the archives, and I think the thread in question appeared in 1997. >A little bit of Mike Leffel lives on in all of us, Dylan. In fact, you could say we ATE Mike Leffel, and he's in our stomachs right now! No, wait. Scratch that last one. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:55:35 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The old "going downhill" argument Message-ID: Tom Acquisto: >I'm just a little urked by TMBG's latest direction. Museum of Idiots, >and the original Finished with Lies were brilliant but then something >like Monsters of Mud or the Sun is on Fire and I'm a little disapointed >and don't want to hear them for a while. I'd like to know if anyone >shares my feelings on this. Does it seem like sometimes they just don't >try because they don't have to. Like they're sitting there going I can't >believe they liked Monsters of Mud, we could make monsters of money if we >just pump out anything. >anyone? >anyone? Okay, I liked "Monsters Of Mud" (the one time I heard it). "The Sun Is On Fire" is probably just another DAS-only song, and those usually aren't their best-quality material. Also, I like the new "Finished With Lies" better. The old one kind of plodded along, but the new version added some energy. >ps I'm not saying that all their new songs are bad they're just very >inconsistant, in a great or horrible kind of way. Well, that's your opinion, and I can't argue with that. I'm not really sure how they're any more inconsistent now than they have been in the past, though. Do you think every song on the Big Six albums is absolutely wonderful, and it's only the post-FS songs that vary in quality? Is "I'm Def" a whole lot better than "Monsters Of Mud"? Now, I joined after FS had been out for a year, but I've seen my share of this kind of argument, and they've probably been going on for years. Every few months or so, we get these "TMBG has gone downhill, they're selling out, the new songs all suck (except for [insert song name here]), they just want big piles of money, they no longer care about their fans, blah blah blah." Now, I'm not saying I love everything TMBG has ever done. For instance, I'd MUCH rather have this new album we were supposed to get two years ago than all this MP3 and TV theme stuff. I don't think, however, that you can point to a specific date and say, "Yep, THIS is when TMBG started sucking." There's always going to be stuff that the fans (individually, not as a collective; TMBG fans are a very diverse group, after all) like and dislike, and I don't think the fact that you dislike whatever the current Dial-A-Song is provides proof that the band has gone downhill. >Like why would they >take finished with lies and turn it into what they did. It's on >dial-a-song now. They changed the melody and everything. >starting now I'm telling the truth I'm finished with//the ideas notes and >words. >did anyone else catch that. I caught it, but, as I said, I actually liked it better. Perhaps the Johns did as well, or perhaps it was an experiment that went awry, and they'll end up putting the old FWL on the next album. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:11:07 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: Jody Beth Rosen: >Stuff like this is why I haven't given up on TMBG. For every "Your Mom's >Alright" or "Dr. Worm" (songs where I shake my head and say "Come on. >You're >the same band that wrote 'Where Your Eyes Don't Go' and 'Birdhouse' and >many, MANY other works of genius...I know you're busy writing Daily Show >music or whatever, but try, a LITTLE, for us!?") there's an "Older" or an >"On Earth My Nina" or a "Museum of Idiots." But sometimes I really wonder >about these guys. Why would they put "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" on an >official studio album and not "Sensurround"? Gee, maybe because they don't sit down when arranging an album and think, "Would Jody Beth Rosen like this line-up?"? As I mentioned in my last post, TMBG fans are a quite diverse group. I LIKE "Dr. Worm" and "Your Mom's Alright," and I'm not that fond of "Older." Perhaps there's someone else around here who likes "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?" but not "Where Your Eyes Don't Go." This isn't even taking into account that the Johns really don't seem to care too much about what the fans think (and I'm not saying this is a bad thing). As for why "SenSurround" isn't on the album, I read somewhere that the Johns thought it sounded too much like something else already on Factory Showroom ("Spiraling Shape," I think). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:52:55 -0600 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <99oee5$29vm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > >They saw the demand was there they offered it up > >and those who are up for the taking? well allright! > > Somebody set up us the bomb. You have no chance to survive make your time. Uhh, yeah. It's wearing out my welcome mat. And now, a musical interlude for no reason at all. "Rome wasn't built in a day At least that's what they all say But they're so very wrong It didn't take very long I made it in five hours from clay" And now, back to your regularly scheduled program. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:55:31 -0500 From: Adam Piontek Subject: RE: Re[2]: TMBG: Re: Monsters of Mud Message-ID: <2DA8F7F34915D511AE4A00805FF77AB516FFD6@atsbdc002.thoracic.org> > > >They saw the demand was there they offered it up > > >and those who are up for the taking? well allright! > > > > Somebody set up us the bomb. You have no chance to survive > make your > time. > > Uhh, yeah. It's wearing out my welcome mat. so, hit the delete key like everyone else. some people still think it's funny; too bad if it's not "cool" for some people anymore. -adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:27:21 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: TMBG: TMBG documentary? Message-ID: Has this been mentioned? if it has I may have missed it (indeed do such things come to pass) from: http://www.woxy.com/news/032501-2.shtml They Might Be Giants will be the subject of a documentary. Film crews have been covering TMBG shows and studio time, as well as interviewing the band for the project, which is slated to be out in 2002. The documentary has the working title Gigantic. They Might Be Giants will have a new album out August 14th. It doesn't have a title yet, and the Giants are taking suggestions online. ÁÁ--kevin ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:01:16 EST From: Oogaboogabooooo@aol.com Subject: TMBG: State Songs Message-ID: <41.9543e81.27f1243c@aol.com> Does anyone know where I can get the lyrics and chords to State Songs? And are there translations for those songs or are they just meaningless? (I'm pretty sure they have some point, but I lost my CD) MMG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:42:39 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: A funny thing I forgot in my review Message-ID: <61.c95f000.27f1662f@aol.com> Before "Cyclops Rock," Flans said, "This song is available on Napster, but you have to search for 'Yclops-Cay Ock-Ray." hehe Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:29:59 EST From: MikeTheGiant@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: OKGO Message-ID: <64.c65860c.27f17147@aol.com> In a message dated 3/26/01 10:39:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, FrannyGlass42@aol.com writes: << i'm in Love with OKGO, we had a lovely chat post-show at the chili pepper on the 25th, i have pictures, i have memories, i have a crush on the keyboardist. hearts and flours linny >> I saw OKGO open for Them in October, and I loved their music. It's kinda odd, but it's cool. After the show, they were out in the lobby selling their own cds, and stickers, and videos, and stuff, and signing the stuff. I sat there and talked to Damien for quite some time. He personally sends me individual mail from time to time telling me when they're going to be around Baltimore. It's really cool. Mike Stabile "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' " - George Carlin ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:35:09 EST From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Stage Jumpers TMBG 3/24 and 3/25, 2001 Message-ID: In a message dated 3/26/01 7:53:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, mr_realgal@yahoo.com writes: > Some lady yelled at me for cheering at > the show. (insane) The whole time she just stood > there, with a serious face, making rude comments at > Geez, I hate people like that. Back in December, I went to see a band called Wheatus (yes, the "Teenage Dirtbag" guys... but they're much more than that) in concert. They're one of my favorite bands and they put on an excellent live show. But, the whole evening was almost ruined by all the snobby kids their. Because of the mainstream success of their song "Teenage Dirtbag," they ended up with alot of young, teeny bopper type fans (and yes, I am only 15, but certainly NOT a teeny bopper, nor am I a Korn/Limp Bizkit fan). There were mostly just people there who let MTV tell them what's cool. Wheatus made it to MTV (but have sinced vanished from it's airwaves). Anyway, all of these people just thought it was more important to be "cool" rather than have a good time. They were probably trying to impress their friends or something. But I was one of very few totally rocking out to the music, and letting it run through my vains (you all know the feeling, when you can't help but jump and dance and cheer go crazy, cause you're only a few inches away from a good live band). Because of this, I heard random, mindless remarks made around me like "that's so gay" and "stupid," all said with that real teenage smart ass accent (and this is in L.A., were it originated and is even worse). Anyway, I didn't let them ruin it for me. I still really enjoyed the show, and was even brought up on stage during Teenage Dirtbag (easily one of the coolest moments in my young life)! Alex "Nobody likes what I like. That's how I like it." - Harvey Danger ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:46:08 EST From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: OKGO Message-ID: Does OKGO have a website? Alex "Nobody likes what I like. That's how I like it." - Harvey Danger ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:53:30 -0800 From: "NetGuy" Subject: Re: TMBG: OKGO Message-ID: <99pdd9$7hl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org wrote in message news:a5.137c49d4.27f17510@aol.com... Does OKGO have a website? http://okgo.net/ -- "All of those people should be turned into pie" - NetGuy ICQ: 41184142 Aol: geonetguy7 Yahoo: The_netguy MSN: The_netguy@hotmail.com ~;~ : New Design! http://home.talkcity.com/ChaplinCt/the_netguy/ Official a.r.t site: http://alt.romance.teen2.welcome.to/ "Baby check this out I've got something to say, but it's so loud in here! When they stop the drum machine and I can think again, I'll remember what it was" - J. Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:56:06 -0600 From: "Jay G." Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG documentary? Message-ID: <99pdol$825$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Kevin Keeler" wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0103261726060.27589-100000@uwns.underworld.net... > Has this been mentioned? if it has I may have missed it (indeed do such > things come to pass) Yes it was mentioned, and yes it is cool, although I always thought the best title for a TMBG tour movie would be "They Got Lost" -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:59:07 -0800 From: "NetGuy" Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: actually more Mono Puff related Message-ID: <99pdnq$81s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org wrote in message news:fd.3d8cef4.27f174d1@aol.com... I thoroughly enjoy called Toadies. Of "Possum kingdom" fame? With the fembassist? How are they live anyway?... show coming here soon, may just have to go! -- "All of those people should be turned into pie" - NetGuy ICQ: 41184142 Aol: geonetguy7 Yahoo: The_netguy MSN: The_netguy@hotmail.com ~;~ : New Design! http://home.talkcity.com/ChaplinCt/the_netguy/ Official a.r.t site: http://alt.romance.teen2.welcome.to/ "Baby check this out I've got something to say, but it's so loud in here! When they stop the drum machine and I can think again, I'll remember what it was" - J. Linnell ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-27 ******************************