Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 30 Friday, 30 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: Tour dates TMBG: Atlanta Show - March 28, 2001 TMBG: Atlanta Show TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 TMBG: Sighting Re: TMBG: Sighting Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:50:29 EST From: TMBGDot@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Tour dates Message-ID: <6a.c8f1da5.27f4b3c5@aol.com> Hi Everyone, There are some new tour dates up at TMBG.com- Check it out! Love Operator Dot ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:31:13 -0500 From: "Bill Seybolt" Subject: TMBG: Atlanta Show - March 28, 2001 Message-ID: Was at the Atlanta show at the Roxy last night. It's a great venue. Regardless where you are, you get a great view of the stage. NoGo was a great opening act. First song was a cover of "Crimson and Clover." These guys were a great choice. Original material was very eclectic. Also covered "Kiss Me, Son of God." TMBG came out around 9:15 AM. Here's the set list... Spaceship intro (or whatever you want to call it... John F. came out in a NoGo t-shirt.) Older Twisting Fingertips (John F: "Two days of rehersal and ten years of trepidation later, we present 'Fingertips.'") I've Got a Fang Boss of Me (Flans jumped the gun... this was supposed to be after Fingertips) Triangle Man Drink Letterbox Actual Size (Dan's drum solo was awesome. John F went into an on-hold dialog during the solo: "Press two if you'd like to hear this drum solo in Spanish.") Spiraling Shape Meet James Ensor Cyclops Rock James K. Polk (canon and all) Spy Maybe I Know Lie Still Little Bottle (complete with the miked stick/tree) Ana Ng Birdhouse Guitar/Lion Sleeps Dig My Grave She's an Angel They Might Be Giants Dr. Worm Encore #1 Robot Parade New York City Encore #2 Lines Upon A Tranquil Bow Istanbul Sleepwalkers There was the obligatory "Hotlanta" and "Why is everything named Peachtree?" commentary from the Johns; but, it was all in jest. The audience was great with an occasional crowd surfer. John L. remarked that the shows should have a "mosh" and "no-mosh" zone. "Kinda like the airport smoking lounges." The crowd agreed. They announced the release of their next album on August 15 and that "No!" was signed by Sony (forgot the specific children's branch of Sony, but you know what it is). At the merchandise stand, they were selling the usual shirts, LP & EP's and TMBG coffee for $5 a bag. (No sign of the demo copies of "No!") The best aspect of the show was simply knowing everything they performed. I've been listening to much of the band via webcasts, emusic and TMBG Radio. So, I was well versed in the playlist. The only negative was the lack of a horn section. I would love to be at a show with a set of horns. But, there's always the next time. Speaking of next time... The guys will be back to Emory University in April. But, the show is for students and I am part of the working world (no offense to those who are students). Anyone out there got any suggestions on getting in (i.e slipping the doorman a yuppie food coupon [$20] to cover the 'I forgot my ID' line)? Email me your suggestions or if you know someone. Would love to catch them again. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:23:55 -0500 From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: Atlanta Show Message-ID: <002001c0b896$90073310$03fe1fac@charlie> The atlanta show was great. Before the show, I was to meet some friends behind the theater. I was slightly early, so we just sat, idling the van. Well, I happened to look behind me, and I see Linnell himself pointing (and no doubt laughing) at my van, surrounded by a few Dans. After I met my friends, we also briefly ran into Flans, prompting a "hey," and a sprint to the bus. Anyway, onto the concert... Ok Go was awesome! They put on a great show, with a wide variety of songs and a coupla covers, with the added bonus of improv rap. Plus, their bassist pretty much had the coolest hair I've ever seen...After their set, and after a bit of an intermission, tmbg came on. This was a great show, they played many of my favorites that the last show I went to lacked (istanbul, the guitar, dr. worm, FINGERTIPS, etc). During Dr. Worm, at the part where it is only linnell singing, he emulated himself singing backwards! Snagged some Ok Go autographs after the show, great stuff. I wish the emory show wasn't closed to non students...any emory students wanna buy me a ticket? :-) Also, did anyone record the concert? Well, twas a great night, in all ways. -Charlie Miller http://flipse.com/dirky/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:15:16 GMT From: Doctor Worm Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Message-ID: <3AC3FA61.F02B9ADA@home.com> Organization: @Home Network 36 tracks? That's more than most of their normal CDs. Is the magazine itself any good? Ever since I heard about Them doing a soundtrack, I've been checking out the site a bit (http://www.mcsweeneys.net). They have some pretty funny stuff. I would reccommend reading Pirate Jokes for Sophisticates. Jay G. wrote: > > Okay, I just got back from a signing/book reading by Dave Eggers, editor of > McSweeny's. I won't bore you with details*, because the real news is that > McSweeny's #6 was available for purchase at the signing. This is the issue > with the TMBG CD. > > The CD is titled "They Might Be Giants vs. McSweeny's" and it contains 44 > tracks, 36 of which are by TMBG. The other tracks are by Micjeal Meridith, > Philip Glass, S.E Williams, Roger Greenawalt & E.K. , Doughty, Arthur > Bradford, Free Coorperation, and John Linnell ("West Virginia"). Each track > corresponds to one of the pieces in the magazine. Some of the TMBG tracks > will be familiar to www.emusic.com users (i.e. 'Bangs' , "She Thinks she's > Edith Head" , "Drinking", and if course the march TMBGU McSweeny's tracks.) > > The magazine itself is a oddly shaped hardbound book, with the CD on a > spidle attached to the inside of the back cover. It has the suggested retail > price of $25 (Canadians pay $30 just because). It should be in stores and > subsribers' hands soon, as it just got off the boat (from Iceland > appearently). > > -Jay > > *One cool thing of note was that Eggers played 'Bangs' from the CD and had a > member come up and try to lipsync to it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:26:11 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Message-ID: In a message dated 3/29/2001 10:19:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, doctorworm@home.com writes: > One word: Fingertips Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:58:39 -0600 From: Daniel A Kelley Subject: Re: TMBG: Sighting Message-ID: <20010329.235922.-205683.2.NormalLikeYou@juno.com> yes, they are on there all the time. i would say almost every other day. On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:26:47 EST BigGuyMike80@aol.com writes: > This is coming from MikeTheGiant: > > I have spotted "Them" on a Q/A web-site. > > HREF="http://truemeaningoflife.com/wisdom.php?topid=16338&responses=1">Th e > Gurus love you. > http://truemeaningoflife.com/wisdom.php?topid=16338& > responses=1 > > it's kinda weird. > > Mike Stabile > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-30 ******************************