Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 31 Saturday, 31 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: Winston Salem show 3/29 Re: TMBG: Atlanta Show TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities TMBG: Re: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities TMBG: Sapphire Bullets t-shirts are finally in - order yours today! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:01:48 -0500 From: "Kristin ." Subject: TMBG: Winston Salem show 3/29 Message-ID: Just thought I would let everyone know the setlist from tonight's WONDERFUL show! I just got back, and it is working on 3am, so I'm not putting much commentary or "between song" comments. I'm just too tired to remember it all right now ;) This is one of the best TMBG shows I have seen in a while. Flans came out to meet people after the show, right in front of the stage... That was the first time (out of about a dozen shows) that I have personally seen him do that, so I was thrilled!!!! He signed autographs and even posed for a picture with me! They all seemed to be in a pretty good mood tonight. And Flans was very very nice. Oh and OK Go played "Kiss Me, Son of God" again at this show :) Pretty cool. I've really enjoyed seeing Ok Go, they are fun. Here's the setlist: Crickets Intro Subliminal Particle Man Boss of Me Fingertips She Thinks She's Edith Head She's an Angel Your mom's alright Meet James Ensor Older Purple Toupee Actual Size Spiraling Shape Your Racist Friend Women & Men Drink Hideaway Folk Family Spy ( introducing the pride of Greensboro Eugene Chadbourne) Mr. Tambourine Man (almost played Louie Louie but Flans didn't know the words - of course then again nobody does) Maybe I Know Cowtown Cyclops Rock James K. Polk Birdhouse The Guitar New York City Robot Parade They Might Be Giants Twisting Istanbul Dr. Worm _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:34:26 -0500 From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: Atlanta Show Message-ID: Regarding OK Go... I was hoping that their rap bit was improv, but it isn't ... just a regular rehearsed song.. (although still entertaining!) For anyone who is interested, OK Go's debut album will be out in two weeks (right now they just have a 3 song promo album). I'm sure more information will be on their website soon: www.okgo.net >From: "Charlie Miller" >Reply-To: "Charlie Miller" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Atlanta Show >Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:23:55 -0500 > >The atlanta show was great. Before the show, I was to meet some friends >behind the theater. I was slightly early, so we just sat, idling the van. >Well, I happened to look behind me, and I see Linnell himself pointing (and >no doubt laughing) at my van, surrounded by a few Dans. After I met my >friends, we also briefly ran into Flans, prompting a "hey," and a sprint to >the bus. Anyway, onto the concert... Ok Go was awesome! They put on a >great show, with a wide variety of songs and a coupla covers, with the >added bonus of improv rap. Plus, their bassist pretty much had the coolest >hair I've ever seen...After their set, and after a bit of an intermission, >tmbg came on. This was a great show, they played many of my favorites that >the last show I went to lacked (istanbul, the guitar, dr. worm, FINGERTIPS, >etc). During Dr. Worm, at the part where it is only linnell singing, he >emulated himself singing backwards! Snagged some Ok Go autographs after >the show, great stuff. I wish the emory show wasn't closed to non >students...any emory students wanna buy me a ticket? :-) Also, did anyone >record the concert? Well, twas a great night, in all ways. > >-Charlie Miller >http://flipse.com/dirky/ > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:43:16 EST From: Pahteeh@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Message-ID: <81.8f28d0d.27f61fb4@aol.com> Hey all I just thought I'd ask a question.. (for those of you who apply): Which do you enjoy more, a TMBG concert in NYC or in another city? I'm from Miami, but I've seen Them in NYC 3 times.. This past Sunday was my first time seeing them in my home state.. I don't know, it was a great show and all (except for that asshole who jumped the stage during dr. worm!!! aarrgghh) but for some reason I didn't get the same vibe from the Fla. crowd as I did from the NY crowd. There seemed to be alot of people who only knew a few songs, whereas in NY everybody seemed to know every lyric of every song, which i like better.. I feel more at home there, even tho i'm from here.. Like when I got to the Ft Lauderdale show I saw a girl I went to high school with (who I knew didn't listen to TMBG- she was there with her boyfriend who she said loved them and had never seen them live so she went with him).. So during the whole show I kept on looking at him to see if he was enjoying it, and he was! n'! t even singing along! I mean, I understand that not everybody has TMBGU or even all of Their albums, but come on, during Ana Ng or Particle Man? And when they played the Famous Polka i heard him say the title of the song to his g-friend, so I know he has SOME albums. Anyway it wasn't just him. I was just giving him as an example cuz he was in front of me.. Anyway my point is that everybody didn't seem to be having as good a time in this show.. so yeah um any feedback? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:01:11 -0500 From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Message-ID: <003601c0b943$678068f0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> <<>> While I've never been to a concert in NYC, I've been to 8 TMBG concerts throughout Ohio and Kentucky. I'll give you that the type of crowd present does enhance or possibly hurt the experience, but I think you might be using your own personal criteria for "How I enjoy a concert", and applying it to everyone present. Just because someone's not singing along certainly doesn't mean they're not enjoying the show (and I know I've been to a few different concerts where I would have PAID to shut up the people singing along. :) I know there are times when I'm at a concert that I sing along and dance and do all that, and there are other times (often for the same artist) where I'm a little more reserved. Everyone absorbs and enjoys music in a different manner. As for the Florida vs. New York issue... I guess TMBG gets a lot less exposure in FL, so the crowd isn't going to be nearly as well-versed in the goings-on of a TMBG show. I know people that make an effort to travel to NYC from as far as three hours away almost everytime TMBG performs, and I'm guessing a lot of the crowd is constituted of similar folk. These are the die-hard fans, and I typically would assume they'd be more what you consider "into" the experience. It's great that you finally got to see TMBG in your home state, but don't be so quick to suppose that the crowd didn't enjoy the show! :) At least stereotypically, Florida is a more laid-back state than New York. Maybe that was a factor? I'm done rambling, and I retreat now to my lurker-status. Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:14:20 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Message-ID: <6b.11fd1e0e.27f626fc@aol.com> I have a slightly different perspective, having seen TMBG not only in NYC and my home state (the same show as Patty), but in Atlanta and DC as well. At the three NYC shows I've been to, the crowd was actually very reserved, almost blase' (with some exceptions, of course). Out-of-NYC crowds seem more appreciative since they get to see them a lot less. Granted, I haven't seen any of the legendary NYC shows like the one where they opened for themselves as Sapphire Bullets (I would've killed to have been able to see that one!), but the band doesn't always put quite as much into the NYC shows as they do for out of state shows. They seem to regard the NYC shows as sort of a "training ground" for songs they are in the process of recording or about to go on tour with, which makes the shows a lot looser, which is a good thing, but also less intense. Of course even a less intense tmbg show is still VERY hopping :) As for the Ft. Lauderdale show, I looked back from time to time to see how the crowd was enjoying it, and most of the people I could see seemed to be pretty into it. As a friend told me once, I'd hate to meet the person who could't have a good time at a TMBG show! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:28:14 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeny's #6 Message-ID: <50.138b0794.27f62a3e@aol.com> In a message dated 3/30/01 1:22:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, chadd@iodynamics.com writes: > This month's EMusic tracks were taken from this project -- they're little > short > things like Fingertips. I guess as you flip through the magazine, you hear > these > little songs to go along with the pictures and stories. "Lincoln, > Washington and > that Jefferson Guy" is a great song -- too bad it's 30 seconds long. > > > You are speaking of the February tracks...from the review I read on the NG, > it looks like none of the March tracks are on there (with the exception of > an instrumental version of "Clowntown." And only 8 songs are full length > :/ I still can't wait for it! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:47:12 EST From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Message-ID: Good thread Patty...I was thinking about the same thing. I though the crowd at the ft lauderdale show was very appreciative and knowlegeable of the music..then again, i was there 3 hours early and hung out with other die hards, so i may be jaded. The crowd that was standing way at the front (kay and myself included) seemed to be singing along to most songs. Hell, even the jerk who jumped onstage was singing along to most of the show..On the other hand, I saw two of the thursday shows at the bowery ballroom, the DAS show and the Flood Show..The DAS show had a great crowd that was enjoying the music and seemd to be really into it, while the flood crowd has a lot of posers (poseurs?). Maybe its because it was Flood and it had some recognition, but a lot of the crowd didnt know what the hell was going on and consequently TALKED THROUGH THE ENTIRE SHOW! I think the band plays and tries harder outside of New York, personally..they take NYC for granted, as the crowds in NYC take THEM for granted...and I dont mean that as a bad thing. Hell, you could see them 5 times in November alone!! All that said, given a choice, Id rather see them in NYC, just so I can walk over to Katz or Funky Broome for some grub before or after the show...MMMM, Katz'..aaaahhhhhhhhggggrrrhhh (homer) Given crowd size and behavior, I dont think we'll be seeing the Johns down here again anytime soon... Mario... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:44:52 -0500 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Sapphire Bullets t-shirts are finally in - order yours today! Message-ID: <9a367s$4b2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org And now, the Franklin Mint is proud to present the limited edition Sapphire Bullets commemorative t-shirt. Emblazoned with the Sapphire Bullets logo*, this 100% cotton masterpiece enhances any wardrobe. Warm your torso with this royal blue memento of Sapphire Bullets' appearance at New York's Irving Plaza. Impress your fanboy friends with this arcane and indirect reference to They Might Be Giants. Give double homage to the Johns and Dans, by simultaneously honoring your favorite tribute band of your favorite band, and your favorite band posing as its own tribute band. If you order now, we'll also include Sapphire Bullets 2000-2001 tour info**, absolutely free. Here's how to order: 1. Select your size. These Adult sizes are available: S, M, L, XL, and a very limited number of XXL. $20 each. 2. Select your delivery option. You can pick up your shirt in person from one of our friendly customer service representatives in New York City, or have it mailed to you by USPS Priority Mail. (For domestic mail delivery, a $3.95 shipping charge applies. International shipping is also possible, but prices and delivery times vary.) 3. Send email to our customer service center (bryce@tmbg.org) explaining your selections from 1 and 2. Sapphire Bullets - The Only TMBG Tribute Band That Matters. * Front: http://members.aol.com/brycegh/sb.front.gif (No official endorsement implied. Not shown at actual size. Void where prohibited.) ** Back: http://members.aol.com/brycegh/sb.back.gif (Not shown at actual size. May appear backwards in rear-view mirror. Not sized at actual shows.) Bryce President, CEO Unrelated Things, Ltd. (a nonprofit organization) Here they come. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-31 ******************************