Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 39, Number 6 Tuesday, 6 March 2001 Topics: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited... Re: TMBG: OT: prepositions and beverages Re: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? Re: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? TMBG: Re: TMBG Voice Variations TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-5 Re: NON-TMBG: prepositions and lines Re: TMBG: emusic problems? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-5 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 03:22:41 EST From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? Message-ID: <60.c22bb63.27d4a6d1@aol.com> Does anyone know the date/venue of the Flood show from Emusic? Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 03:43:40 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited... Message-ID: 'All Alone' which was listed under the tmbg crypt section is the one labled track 03..... Erich > Ok... I have a small problem - nothing huge, just a minor oversight on > someone's (probably my) part. I appear to be missing Track 3 from > February's TMBG Unlimited. What is it? Anyone know? > > Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:53:10 -0500 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: OT: prepositions and beverages Message-ID: <980d5s$1eeg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "special J" -ordan : > Do you guys say "on long island" or "in long island" > becuase what i wrote up there sounds normal/correct > to me, but all the city people tend to think it's "on." > Who knows, I'm probably wrong because I say "pop" > and not "soda." As a Manhattan resident-but-not-native (aren't we all), I say "on" Long Island, just as I would say "on" Staten Island or Temptation Island for that matter. Manhattan, on the other hand, sounds really weird with "on." So maybe it has to do with having the word "island" in the name. (Or maybe not: I would say "on Maui." Hmm...) I grew up saying "pop," but met with ridicule in college so I switched over and now call it soda (when I can't specifically say Dr Pepper or Coke or whatever). Neither one bothers me to hear. What does annoy me is the use of the phrase "on line" to mean standing in a line of people waiting for something. Why do New Yorkers do this? Every time I hear somebody say "Next on line!" I want to ask them for their email address. I need to move somplace sane. Bryce A place that's worn. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:47:20 -0500 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? Message-ID: <980gbf$1h4n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org : > Does anyone know the date/venue of > the Flood show from Emusic? Thanks. The venue was the Bowery Ballroom in New York. The date was in November 2000; wasn't it the 29th? That sounds familiar. Bryce The bells are ringing. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:10:01 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Emusic Flood show date? Message-ID: <980haf$1hrf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Close; it was 11/30/00. -Mike "Bryce" wrote in message > > > Does anyone know the date/venue of > > the Flood show from Emusic? Thanks. > > The venue was the Bowery Ballroom in New York. The date was in November 2000; wasn't it the 29th? That sounds familiar. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:08:11 -0800 From: pzickler@hotPOP.com Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Voice Variations Message-ID: >You can get the latest version of this list on the Web: > http://umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt Any chance of the "latest version" being expanded to include recent stuff, i.e. STF, LTW, WUFtM...? PZ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:12:52 -0800 From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-5 Message-ID: <<[1]Do you guys say "on long island" or "in long island" becuase what i wrote up there sounds normal/correct to me, but all the city people tend to think it's "on.">> I say "on" -- but to tell ya the truth, I've never really paid attention to whether Long Islanders have said "on" or "in." Makes sense to be "on" an island, though, unless you were dead, in which case you'd be "in" it. Or perhaps if you've had a Long Island-style Proper Viking Burial, you'd be "under" it. --Jody "in" Brooklyn _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:37:08 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: prepositions and lines Message-ID: Bryce: >As a Manhattan resident-but-not-native (aren't we all) Yes. No babies are born in Manhattan (or is that "on Manhattan"?). >I say "on" Long Island, just as I would say "on" Staten Island or >Temptation >Island for that matter. Manhattan, on the other hand, sounds really weird >with "on." So maybe it has to do with having the word >"island" in the name. (Or maybe not: I would say "on Maui." Hmm...) Well, Manhattan is the name of both a borough and the island on which it is located. If you're talking about the borough, it wouldn't be appropriate to say "on," would it? >What does annoy me is the use of the phrase "on line" to mean standing in a >line of people waiting for something. Why do New >Yorkers do this? Every time I hear somebody say "Next on line!" I want to >ask them for their email address. Should they say, "Next in queue" instead? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:20:12 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: emusic problems? Message-ID: Can I just what an interesting, unusual and good present this is to receive from a parent. Anyone else like to tell us about similar presents from their parent(s)?! And can someone sort out her problem as well! There for the grace of etc. etc Richard >>> 04/03/01 21:10:17 >>> I got a subscription to TMBG unlimited sometime before this Christmas, According to my mom, (who gave me the subscription as a present) we've already been billed for it so it's not a probelm with the credit card.I hope this doesn't count as a nuisance post, I'm just out of ideas and hope that somebody here has had a similar experience or can tell me what to do about it! thanks, ~e~ (Emily) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:52:08 -0700 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #39-5 Message-ID: Hi >I got a subscription to TMBG unlimited sometime before this Christmas, and >so >far have not been able to download a single thing. I've written emusic >several times and nobody's been able to help me. I don't know if it's a >problem with my account, or AOL or emusic or what. I got the "welcome to >TMBG >unlimited" letter a month ago, and got the fleece last week, but i still >can't get any mp3s. Whenever i try to download anything it gives me an >error >message, and nine times out of ten, it won't even let me sign in. Probably nothing wrong with the EMusic system, but try deleting your EMusic player and then reinstalling it. (Or if you aren't using an EMusic PLayer, download one). If that doesn't work, it might be something with your computer sytem. AOL isn't the most reliable ISP I have found out from friends who have used it. Could be something up with them. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #39-6 *****************************