Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 1 Monday, 2 April 2001 Topics: TMBG: April TMBG Unlimited is up! TMBG: Asheville, NC 3/30 TMBG: going to 4/17 show? Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities TMBG: More on the Asheville show TMBG: Re: More on the Asheville show TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? TMBG: Connections to Literature TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? TMBG: The Oblongs premier TMBG: INSECT HOSPITAL RELEASE TODAY! TMBG: Re: INSECT HOSPITAL RELEASE TODAY! Re: TMBG: INSECT HOSPITAL RELEASE TODAY! (Now with corrected spelling!) TMBG: An apropos day, I suppose. TMBG: norfolk show, and why they should never play the Boathouse again Re: TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:10:09 EST From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: April TMBG Unlimited is up! Message-ID: <8c.488b70e.27f71511@aol.com> Looks like we almost have all of No! now, hehe Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:35:34 -0500 From: scitamb.2@juno.com Subject: TMBG: going to 4/17 show? Message-ID: <20010331.093924.-170255.1.scitamb.2@juno.com> Looking for driving companion for 4/17 show at Toad's. I am coming from RI-willing to travel alone to meet someone as far as Putnam, CT or Seekonk/Attleboro, MA! I just need someone to drive with for the bulk of the distance. I'm about 2 hours from Toad's. I can drive and pay for gas. If you are coming from the North or East, you will be basically driving by here... Please reply privately!! Skye ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:18:35 EST From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in NYC vs. Other Cities Message-ID: Hello 41- As someone who has seen TMBG in many states as well as in NYC many times I think I'll chime in. I would like to disagree with the statement that TMBG just coasts through the shows in NYC while they try harder (or whatever) in outside cities. I've seen shows where TMBG has mentioned that this is an NYC crowd and that they're different from other crowds. The NYC crowd usually expects more than the average show because of the fact that they play there so often. NYC generally gets more of the experimental shows and "special shows" where TMBG has to learn new songs. Whereas in other cities there is basically one set show that is performed. On several tours I've seen them 4-5 days in a row in different non-NYC cities to see virtually the same set. ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:27:26 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: More on the Asheville show Message-ID: Well, this was only my second show, so I don't know how to rank it, but as of now, I would have no trouble describing it as "the greatest thing ever." Flansburgh seemed to be having a whole lot of fun, and he was funnier than I've ever seen or heard him on various live tracks, interviews, quotes, and whatnot. The OkGo story's been covered, so I'll gladly spare those details, but when They finally came out, I thought the explanation was pretty darn funny. First Flans noted the large amount of people there. "If we had known there had been THIS many people, we would have shaved." (They both very obviously hadn't, Flans had a full moustache that was very cool.) Then he apologized for the delay and then went on to say, "You know, we've been touring with this band OkGo for a while now, and the truth is...they're NARKS!" This prompted much cheering, as most of us were naturally angry with OkGo since we didn't know what had happened yet. Flans said that they found an FBI file on their opening act in the back of the bus earlier, and that they had been involved with some "fucked-up stuff," and that he and Linnell had no choice but to turn them in to the authorities. After "NYC," Flans and Linnell had some fun with the awkwardly designed venue, including the "kidney-shaped stage." Then they mentioned the Presidential Cannon, and how this was exactly the type of place they probably should'nt use it, because "our lawyers aren't that good." The crowd managed to convince Linnell to fire it off before they started the song, after clearing an area. Then Flans dedicated "WUFTM" to their hardcore-criminal opening band. "Radio TMBG" was played twice, because the first time Flans just didn't feel too good about it. "I feel like I let a lot of people down. Mostly myself." Flans took much delight in introducing another John, their glockenspiel tech man, who was a true original because he was the only person from Nebraska who lived in the Bronx, and he was the only professional glockenspiel tech guy in the world. After "Shoehorn," Flans explained that they have a box of things which they always keep locked except when they go to a place they've never played before, and one thing in that box was the CD skip version of "Shoehorn," which Dan played perfectly. "Older" had the longest pause between Time marching on and still marching on I've heard yet, and the crowd ate up every millisecond of it. They went straight into the best version of "Twisting" I've ever heard, including a little bit of lovely imrpov right before returning to the intro keyboard part the second time. Introducing "Thunderbird," Linnell said "We're going to play some new songs. We have a lot of new songs, because we've been collecting material for a new album for a very, very long time. These songs aren't available anywhere...except YOU KNOW WHERE. You BASTARDS!" I actually don't think most people got it. Before "Drink," Flans said, "You know, a lot of people plug their websites, so I hate to do this, but if give us your e-mail, we'll send you free stuff FOREVER!" He said that "Drink" was one of the songs offered, so he was apparently talking about TMBG Unlimited and not their website, and he directed everyone to "depechemode.com." "Istanbul" had the superlong acoustic Miller intro that they used on the Flood Show that was on Unlimited. For "Lie Still," Flans explained that they were going to do things differently for the next song, and directed everyone to raise their left or right hand in front of their face and snap to Hickey's tempo. The difference was that for Asheville, we got to do the "Bohemian beatnik version," which also required us to half-close our eyes and sway unstably back and forth, always snapping, for all of "Lie Still, Little Bottle." "SEXXY" and "Fingertips" were both the same versions that I've been hearing on MP3's, but of course they're so much more rocking live, and after "Fingertips" I followed the suggestion of someone else on this list (I don't remember who) and yelled for "Space Suit," instucting my friends to do the same. Someone ahead of me a bit started at the exact same time we did, and a guy behind us started in afterwards, so I know They heard us, but They didn't respond, so maybe it wasn't the greatest idea. Flans decided to play "Pet Name" because they usually play it in the dark, and he wanted to give their lighting guy a chance to "smoke a menthol cigarette and take a break from his job of smoking menthol cigarettes." One floor light was left on for Weinkauf, but as soon as the song started, Flans immediately yelled to stop and turn the lights back on. "You know something's too fucked up when the guitar TOUCHES THE GROUND." Miller switched guitars, and they tried again, and did fine. "Robot Parade" was incredible. I don't know if they always play it like that, I assume so, and I don't even know what they used. It didn't sound like a vocoder, and I thought he was just singing along to a CD, but there was some talking towards the end and it sounded the same way. If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about, you can better explain. "Don't Let's Start" was also the best I've ever heard. Linnell held out "everybody diiiiies" for nearly a minute and then went straight into "They want what they're not and I wish they would stop saying " "Birdhouse" was nothing special, but "The Guitar" was maybe the best part of the show, with a little bit of godly improv. Linnell donned his accordion, and intorduced "Boss of Me" by saying, "This is a song from a TV show." The song was great, and afterwards, a few crowd members attempted to help him out with the name of the show, which he had quite a lot of fun ignoring. "Yeah. TV show." I assume it was just to be funny, but I suppose it's possible that it was some hint of discord between Them and the show, but then again, I tend to look too hard. Before "Particle Man," he told us his theory that "John and John, the original founders of They Might Be Giants, must have been high or something when they wrote this song." Linnell got more into it then I've ever seen him before, which isn't much, but it was still fun. "Famous Polka" was extremely cool, and if the rest of the show hadn't been solid evidence that the Band of Dans is the best band ever, then this song was. Then Linnell said it was time for them to go, but that they hadn't done enough songs about worms, so they did one, and left. It didn't take very long to get them to come back, and they played "They Might Be Giants" like they've been playing it lately and "Spy," with oh my god, the best improv I've heard for it yet. Maybe it was just because it's the first time I've actually seen them while they do it, but I don't think so. It was great. Flans concucted it byt bringing down his raised fists with Miller and Hickey for a while, constructing quite a cool little groove, then he went to the mike, still leading the groove, stopped it, used his high voice to sing "I found this new melody device at an antique store!" More groove. Stop. "But it was $400, and I was like, man, what are you..." he then just stared blankly for a while, perhaps pondering whether or not to add an expected end to the sentence, such as "...kidding me?" but he decided against it and started the groove again, which everyone thought was great. Then he went through the pointing to each member, then incorporated the audience, then started pointing to specific strings on Weinkauf's bass, which was really cool, and then there was some other random stuff, and the greatest "we love you" bit ever. Conducting general quarter-note pounding from the band, he started into "Words cannot express! The love! We feel! For YOU! We love! You! We love! You! Words cannot express! The love! We feel! For you! You!" Then they left again, and it took a little longer to get them out again, leading to stomping, and a briefly circulated chant of "John! John! John!" started by myself, and they came out, reiterated how much they loved us, redirected us to "depechemode.com," obviously didn't really know what else to say, and decided on "Sleepwalkers." Flans said that the new album would be out the August 15th, and that shortly after "No!" would be released on Sony whatever-it's-called, a "real company that produces real children's albums, and knows the importance of adult contemporary children's music." Linnell piped in, "It's a new genre, really. There's going to be a lot of new stations popping up with ACCM." Then they went into the song, thanked us profusely, and were gone. Flans immediately came back out and sat down on the edge of the stage, and there wasn't even that big of a crowd. He signed my dollar bill, as it was all I had, and I unfortunately was too excited to say anything remotely clever or memorable, or, well, anything at all. As he was signing for me, he asked if anyone had some gum or anything, and my friend had some Dentine Ice, which Flans was very excited about, and God-blessed him. After going to the merch table and coming back towards the exit, we saw that he was sitting there with only two people in line, so we went over and the gum guy chatted with him a little, and gave him HIS autograph. Flans pocketed it and said he'd cherish it. I again failed to speak. Oh well. I was there. About OkGo, just to make sure I don't give anyone the wrong impression who hasn't seen them yet, Flans talked about them a whole lot, and told us it was a shame we couldn't see them, and that it would be weird for us later, because they were definately going places. Their yet-to-be-released full CD was playing before the show, and it was really, really cool, and I bought the 3-song disc and haven't listened to it yet, because I just woke up. Anyways, for the one or two of you who read this whole thing, sorry for my rambling, it was just a very cool show and the niftiest night of my life. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:05:59 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Re: More on the Asheville show Message-ID: That was an excellent portrail of your night man. I felt like i was there. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:23:09 EST From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Message-ID: <68.d5f5a02.27f7dcfd@aol.com> this afternoon, as I turned on the tv, something miraculous happened. the tv had been left on comedy central, and an old Saturday Night Live was on. i was about to change the channel, when i caught a glimpse of a familiar cartoon character on TV Funhouse. Amazingly enough, it was the Hello Bird! I was amazed, but it most certainly was the drunken birdy that just happened to be on the mug in my hand. the cartoon showed him in character too, he was supposed to be buying things for his friends, but but multiple beers instead. it was amazing! has anybody seen this before, and does it happen often? it was a pretty exciting moment for me. jessie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:34:37 -0500 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Message-ID: <9a64ba$2mnm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Actually, there were only two of these; they were on the first two editions of the 1999 season of Saturday Night Live. The one with the bird was the first one, the second one involved a ship similar to the one on the Then cover - no bird in that one. -Mike > I know I've seen it before, but it may have been the same episode. > Tony Millionaire, who drew the bird, the art for Then, the World Tour > 2040 shirt, and Sock Monkey comics, did a few shorts for SNL, > and I think they all involved the birds. I'm surprised it's not mentioned > more. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:12:15 -0800 From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Message-ID: Yeah I saw those. I loved it and I love reading makkies.....in which the bird appeared in last week. He was just sitting with that drunk X in his eyes....speaking of the Hello bird I'm getting him tattoed on my leg this week with TMBG underneath him. Anyone else got tmbg related tatoos? I figure of all the tatoos to get this is defenitly forever cause ill be giants fan forever. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:20:49 -0800 From: garrett27@juno.com Subject: TMBG: Connections to Literature Message-ID: <20010331.202049.-1799625.0.Garrett27@juno.com> I was wondering if anyone else noticed a connection between the Dial-A-Song song "No Answer" and Robert Browning's poem "My Last Duchess". I just felt like listening to No Answer today and when I heard the first verse it reminded me of Browning's poem, which had been analyzed in detail in my AP Lit class. The connections I found were: the whole idea of the Duke's (who's not named in the poem...thus "Duke of something's wife drowned" in the song) wife being dead, him looking at her picture - which is what's going on in the poem, talking about her looking alive/wanting to know what it's like to be alive, "And the eyes of the portrait seem to follow him around"(TMBG) ... and Browning's Duke speaks of "the depth and passion of its earnest glance" referring to the painting, and "Though she's a wonder, there isn't any answer"(TMBG) ... "I call that piece a wonder..."(Browning). I love it how They do cool connections to things. I bet there are some more that I don't know about, but there's the reference to Plato's allegory of the people in the cave, and Allen Ginsburg's "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness" from Howl. Anybody else know some more? Garrett ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:05:13 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference Message-ID: It has been a long time since I followed any kind of sports but my cousin Doug just told me this: Doug: on NHL tonite they just said "What John Flansburgh is to They Might be Giants , Ziggy Palafy is to the LA Kings" So... unless this person plays guitar for the LA Kings I don't quite get the reference but its amusing all the same... heh -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "well the clock's heart it hangs inside its open chest with hands stretched towards the calendar hanging itself" - Bright Eyes ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Message-ID: <200104010715.f317F0F03347@ussenterprise.ufp.org> *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ÁÁThis notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list ÁÁFollow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list ÁÁTo send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. ÁÁIMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT ÁÁWhen you send a message to the list you are sending ÁÁmessages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your ÁÁmessage is one that hundreds of people need to read. ÁÁDo not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not ÁÁsend messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold ÁÁprivate conversations in private e-mail. Sending ÁÁmessages that the list administrator deems off topic ÁÁwill result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites ÁÁThe unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:11:07 -0500 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference Message-ID: <3AC75781.290A@bgnet.bgsu.edu> John Buccigross says that type of thing all the time. Not necessarily about Flans, but about all kinds of 'rock stars.' Doughty and Soul Coughing used to get mentioned alot back in the day. I think the gist is that both are key components to a good show for their respective 'groups'. Giants aren't much without Flans, Kings aren't much without Palffy. They are a common reference on ESPN, since there are two major teams called the Giants and the phrase can be used about teams that could be getting good (we're not sure if they are giants yet). -K.C. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:26:18 -0700 From: "Lani O" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Bird on SNL? Message-ID: <001801c0bad9$48292720$70220a18@sttln1.wa.home.com> I have the WDTSS man on my tummy. I mean, a tattoo of him. Well, I guess that was my spring message to the list. Maybe I'll write again this summer. So uninvolved...but I can't pass up a TMBG tattoo message, no sir. Lani O. "We struck down Evil with the mighty Sword of Teamwork and the Hammer of Not Bickering." -The Shoveller www.lanio.net Have you visited www.thehungersite.com today? ----- Original Message ----- Yeah I saw those. I loved it and I love reading makkies.....in which the bird appeared in last week. He was just sitting with that drunk X in his eyes....speaking of the Hello bird I'm getting him tattoed on my leg this week with TMBG underneath him. Anyone else got tmbg related tatoos? I figure of all the tatoos to get this is defenitly forever cause ill be giants fan forever. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:41:38 EDT From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: TMBG: The Oblongs premier Message-ID: I just saw a commercial for The Oblongs. The show debuts tonight on the WB network at 7:30. Now, I'm on the West Coast, so this may be different for you folks in eastern and central time zones. Check your local listings. Alex "Nobody likes what I like. That's how I like it." - Harvey Danger ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:02:08 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: INSECT HOSPITAL RELEASE TODAY! Message-ID: <9a7u6v$142e$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Coughaprilfoolscough -Mike "Justin McElroy" wrote > I'm sure by now you're all very excited about > today's release of the newest TMBG album "Insect > Hospital" featuring such tracks as "She's Doing ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 15:12:51 -0400 From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: INSECT HOSPITAL RELEASE TODAY! (Now with corrected Message-ID: spelling!) I'm sure by now you're all very excited about today's release of the newestTMBG album "Insect Hospital" featuring such tracks as "She's Doing Time in Jail", "North Dakota Stomp", and of course, all the B-Sides from the Elektra years. Just thought I'd remind everyone to head over to TMBG.com to pick up their copy. Enjoy! Justin McElroy ___________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:14:47 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: TMBG: An apropos day, I suppose. Message-ID: <34.131653d2.27f8d827@aol.com> After over a year off the list, the Hoop has returned to the TMBG-list. I'm sure most of you have totally forgotten me. That's OK. For the interested, there's a review of the 3/24 show in Atlanta up on my site, http://www.sexsexworld.com Check it out. -HX ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:29:19 -0700 From: "NetGuy" Subject: Re: TMBG: amusing little tmbg reference Message-ID: <9a7vir$15dn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org K.C. wrote in message news:3AC75781.290A@bgnet.bgsu.edu... > Giants aren't much without Flans Except a still very great group.... *Hides* I like Flans, but come on Linnell is just as important if not .09% more. -- ICQ: 41184142 Aol: geonetguy7 Yahoo: The_netguy MSN: The_netguy@hotmail.com http://home.talkcity.com/ChaplinCt/the_netguy/ http://alt.romance.teen2.welcome.to/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-1 *****************************