Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 13 Saturday, 14 April 2001 Topics: TMBG: & U2 TMBG: Re: & U2 Re: TMBG: & U2 TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Re: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Re: TMBG: Re: Hash Pipe and Mr Xcitement Re: TMBG: Can of worms....opening TMBG: lancastershow Re: TMBG: Re: Hash Pipe and Mr Xcitement Re: TMBG: CNN article on TMBG Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG: CNN article on TMBG TMBG: Re: & U2 Re: TMBG: TMBG: Re:tmbg on mtv.com TMBG: LATEST MALICIOUS VIRUSES Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:11:08 -0700 From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: & U2 Message-ID: So I went and saw U2 tonight in Tacoma (basically Seattle) and it was very arockin and stuff but the craziest part was when Bono whips out an accordican after singing 'With or without You' and belts out 'Particle Man' and the crowd just went nuts! they started screaming! It was great. Then to top it off The Johns walk out...except one John has the other Johns head and vice versa! Following them was body with the heads of all three Dans, so them and Bono start singing 'Its a small world' with The Edge in the background making that U2 bing aling dingding sound with his guitar it was and crazy and I think I may have been drugged or something. But I was thinking about names like why is U2 called U2? i guess cause its like YOU TOO are a part of us or something and i was like Oh and then I was thinking I wonder why BT (who collabroted with Doughty on Never Gonna Come Back Down a song that rocks my world by the way) why does he call himself BT is that his initials? or is he like me and doenst like a full BLT sandwhich instead he removes the lettuce all the time and everyone was like "man your eating a BT!" and the name stuck.....or not. Then I started thinking about 'They Might Be Giants' and how we all know its from the movie but no one can pinpoint exactly why they chose it. Some say they got the idea from a ventriloquist? or something. others think something else besides the ventriloquist. but anyway my question for you and essentially the prize for getting this far without clicking delete is did the Johns consider another name? What were those names? I thought 'The Johns" couldve been one or maybe some two things that go together perhaps they could have been called Fish and Chips, Pen and paper, or Carpet and donuts. This concludes my 3AM rant. EEEEEEEEEEERICH!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:29:22 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: & U2 Message-ID: <002b01c0c404$9bb4bb00$7943c7d0@tdk> In several interviews John & John have explained that they had gotten the name from a friend who had a ventriloquist act and who had used the name "They Might Be Giants" for his act before discarding it. This gentleman had procured the name from the film. Here's a clip of such an interview from my website in which They explain this and then go on to say why They thought it was a good name for a band: ftp://tdk:tdk@209.102.96.54/interview_wnrn_091297.mp3 -Mike www.theymightbegiants.org > I started thinking about 'They Might Be Giants' and how we > all know its from the movie but no one can pinpoint exactly why > they chose it. Some say they got the idea from a ventriloquist? > or something. others think something else besides the ventriloquist. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:53:45 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: & U2 Message-ID: >So I went and saw U2 tonight in Tacoma (basically Seattle) and it was very >arockin and stuff but the craziest part was when Bono whips out an >accordican after singing 'With or without You' and belts out 'Particle Man' >and the crowd just went nuts! they started screaming! It was great. Then >to >top it off The Johns walk out...except one John has the other Johns head >and >vice versa! Following them was body with the heads of all three Dans, so >them and Bono start singing 'Its a small world' with The Edge in the >background making that U2 bing aling dingding sound with his guitar it was >and crazy and I think I may have been drugged or something. Um, is any part of this true or are you completely insane? I don't know enough about U2 to know. I assume the heads of the band was either a joke or a severe hallucination, but as far as I know, Bono singing Particle Man isn't THAT unpheasible. And does anyone else remember when Linnell said that They could kick U2's asses in a chicken fight? but anyway my question for you and essentially the prize for >getting this far without clicking delete is did the Johns consider another >name? What were those names? I thought 'The Johns" couldve been one or >maybe >some two things that go together perhaps they could have been called Fish >and Chips, Pen and paper, or Carpet and donuts. > Yeah, Dumptruck. They found out there was a band with that name already, whose music it's fairly easy to find on Napster. They're kind of cool, actually. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:04:31 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Message-ID: I've tried to send a message with attachments three times now, and it hasn't come through, so I finallyjust uploaded them to a friend's old Geocities page. So if the original messages show up some time, sorry. Anyways, I was bored a couple days ago, and I was still really excited about the possible album name Flans gave at theymightbegiants.com, probably too excited, since it was most likely just an off-the-cuff joke. I don't care! I made front and back covers for it anyway, because I can. Turns out that the front looks better in GIF, and the back looks better in JPG, so my apologies to continuity. Tell me what you think, thanks! http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-front.gif http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-back.jpg _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:22:06 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Message-ID: Okay, well, everything's just stupid, and when I click the links, it says file not found, but when I type it in, it works fine. It might just be Hotmail's linking system that messes it up, but if you can't see them, then just manually type in the URLs. Thanks again, sorry for the multitude of posts. >From: "John Ferrer" >Reply-To: "John Ferrer" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory >Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:04:31 > >I've tried to send a message with attachments three times now, and it >hasn't come through, so I finallyjust uploaded them to a friend's old >Geocities page. So if the original messages show up some time, sorry. > >Anyways, I was bored a couple days ago, and I was still really excited >about >the possible album name Flans gave at theymightbegiants.com, probably too >excited, since it was most likely just an off-the-cuff joke. I don't care! >I >made front and back covers for it anyway, because I can. Turns out that >the >front looks better in GIF, and the back looks better in JPG, so my >apologies to continuity. Tell me what you think, thanks! > >http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-front.gif > >http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-back.jpg >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:10:24 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hash Pipe and Mr Xcitement Message-ID: <9b78fm$a6g$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Polaris : > That line was a shortened form of "Every parrot to > his perch," a Spanish equivalent of "To each his own." Thanks, I was wondering about that. I knew you weren't referring to Python, but I figured it was the next logical step. :) > > > When you have a deadline on every production, > > > there is no guarantee of the best possible effort > > > being put into the finished product. It's like > > > people's criticism of a communistic system where > > > everyone is paid the same amount. No incentive > > > to work harder, right? Well, like that, there is no > > > incentive to make a TMBGU package the most > > > artistic it can be. > > > > This is only true while the subscribers are locked in, as > > we are for the full year. If you could buy individual > > months' issues with no committment, this would change > > (especially if you could still buy them after the month is > > over). > > But TMBG are still required to produce each month. This is > what I'm talking about. Right, and I agree that the monthly deadline must be constraining, but that's not what reduces the *incentive* to maximize quality. What reduces the incentive is knowing that you won't lose the customers you have until next January at the earliest. If individual back issues were available, at any time and with no commitment, they would basically be just like albums. Even if you're not able to perfect them in a month, you'd still have the incentive to try. > > Raphael: Cowabunga! Where's the pizza? > > Michaelangelo: Dude, wrong Leonardo. > > Donatello: I think Mike and Raph should be switched there. > Splinter: You are correct, my son. Crap, what's wrong with me?! Must have something to do with the subject line... Bryce Thank you for putting me back in my ... shell. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:55:25 EDT From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Can of worms....opening Message-ID: <82.9a6b44b.2808897d@aol.com> sing it, friend! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:26:27 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Hash Pipe and Mr Xcitement Message-ID: <9b7mla$ogo$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > > > When you have a deadline on every production, > > > > there is no guarantee of the best possible effort > > > > being put into the finished product. It's like > > > > people's criticism of a communistic system where > > > > everyone is paid the same amount. No incentive > > > > to work harder, right? Well, like that, there is no > > > > incentive to make a TMBGU package the most > > > > artistic it can be. > > > > > > This is only true while the subscribers are locked in, as > > > we are for the full year. If you could buy individual > > > months' issues with no committment, this would change > > > (especially if you could still buy them after the month is > > > over). > > > > But TMBG are still required to produce each month. This is > > what I'm talking about. > > Right, and I agree that the monthly deadline must be constraining, but that's not what reduces the > *incentive* to maximize quality. Right. It reduces the *possibility* to maximize quality. > What reduces the incentive is knowing that you won't lose the customers you have until next > January at the earliest. > > If individual back issues were available, at any time and with no commitment, they would basically > be just like albums. Even if > you're not able to perfect them in a month, you'd still have the incentive to try. > > > > > Raphael: Cowabunga! Where's the pizza? > > > Michaelangelo: Dude, wrong Leonardo. > > > > Donatello: I think Mike and Raph should be switched there. > > Splinter: You are correct, my son. > > Crap, what's wrong with me?! Must have something to do with the subject line... Or the fact that you're a Nazi. Now I will finish what I began with your ear! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:28:23 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: CNN article on TMBG Message-ID: <9b7mp5$oki$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/12/tmbg/index.html > > Hot damn. A link to www.tmbg.org on CNN.com. Don't it make y'all tingly? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:27:52 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: Message-ID: <9b7mo5$ojs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > >Shoot. I wanted my last e-mail to have the subject DOCO Krispies. Like Coco > >Krispies only doco.....short.....for.....documentury...................... > >ok bye. > >HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! > > Soundin REAL Presidential, there, Erich. Kinda like Dubya on blotter. Just a > leetle more unintelligible drifting, & you'll be serious President material. > Keep up the good work! How dare you insult Big Brother like that! Remember, we have always been enemies of China. We have always been allies of China. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:33:31 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: Re: TMBG: CNN article on TMBG Message-ID: <9b7n36$out$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Various posters said: > 1. Wasn't "S-E-X-X-Y" somewhat of a hit? I don't believe so. WDTSS was more of a hit. > 2. Linnell sings "I've Got A Match." Yes, he does. Not that the corporate whores care. > 3. Linnell only released one solo album, unless you count the > Hello stuff. Uhh... yagotny gum? > 4. Along those lines, they didn't mention Mono Puff anywhere, and you'd > think they would while they were talking so much about Their other > projects... *Arliss!* > 5. It says near the end that They have never had a platinum record; Flood > supposedly went platinum last year. Wrong. Flood is gold. And it's got some gum. Polaris Jay: Snoochie boochies, little noochies. Player: This guy's an idiot. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:37:29 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: & U2 Message-ID: <9b7nbg$pde$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > So I went and saw U2 tonight in Tacoma (basically Seattle) and it was very > arockin and stuff but the craziest part was when Bono whips out an > accordican after singing 'With or without You' and belts out 'Particle Man' > and the crowd just went nuts! they started screaming! It was great. Then to > top it off The Johns walk out...except one John has the other Johns head and > vice versa! Following them was body with the heads of all three Dans, so > them and Bono start singing 'Its a small world' with The Edge in the > background making that U2 bing aling dingding sound with his guitar it was > and crazy and I think I may have been drugged or something. But I was > thinking about names like why is U2 called U2? i guess cause its like YOU > TOO are a part of us or something and i was like Oh and then I was thinking > I wonder why BT (who collabroted with Doughty on Never Gonna Come Back Down > a song that rocks my world by the way) why does he call himself BT is that > his initials? or is he like me and doenst like a full BLT sandwhich instead > he removes the lettuce all the time and everyone was like "man your eating a > BT!" and the name stuck.....or not. Then I started thinking about 'They > Might Be Giants' and how we all know its from the movie but no one can > pinpoint exactly why they chose it. Some say they got the idea from a > ventriloquist? or something. others think something else besides the > ventriloquist. but anyway my question for you and essentially the prize for > getting this far without clicking delete is did the Johns consider another > name? What were those names? I thought 'The Johns" couldve been one or maybe > some two things that go together perhaps they could have been called Fish > and Chips, Pen and paper, or Carpet and donuts. Whoa. That's some good s**t, man. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:58:07 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Message-ID: <3AD7685F.6614582E@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Polaris wrote: > > > >Shoot. I wanted my last e-mail to have the subject DOCO Krispies. Like > Coco > > >Krispies only > doco.....short.....for.....documentury...................... > > >ok bye. > > >HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! > > > > Soundin REAL Presidential, there, Erich. Kinda like Dubya on blotter. > Just a > > leetle more unintelligible drifting, & you'll be serious President > material. > > Keep up the good work! > > How dare you insult Big Brother like that! Remember, we have always been > enemies of China. We have always been allies of China. Besides, we can't have them holding our country hostile! Maybe they could help us eliminate the terriers (mmm... terriers), but I don't know about those barrifs. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:22:11 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re:tmbg on mtv.com Message-ID: <8.130bed81.2808f233@aol.com> "I did a song called 'Man It's So Loud in Here,' which is kind of about being trapped in a nightclub where you can't hear yourself talk," Schlesinger said. I thought that Adam Schlesinger was brought in for their recording session going on right now. I might be crazy but wasn't Its So Loud In Here recoreded a couple years ago with Joe Nicolo? In '99 there was no mention of Adam at all. This means that they could be rerecording ISLIH, which means that they also might be rerecording Cyclops Rock. I just assumed this studio session was for recording stuff like I've Got a Fang and Museum of Idiots. All I know is that Edith Head and Older better damn well not be the Long Tall Weekend Versions (both already available [malcolm soundtrack and mc sweenys]). Also everyone should check out Atom and His Package's new cd called Redefining Music. It's very good if you like nerd punk. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:01:16 +1000 From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: LATEST MALICIOUS VIRUSES Message-ID: I've actually gotten the snow white e-mail a few times this year... Lyndy > > > > > >This virusmessage (from Compaq Computer > > > > > Corporation) > > > > > > > > > > > >Virus with no cure. > > > > > > > > > > > >Please, send this information to every person in > > > > > your address book. > > > > > > > > > > > >If you receive an e-mail that reads "Upgrade > > > > > Internet" do not open it, as > > > > > >it contains an executable file named "perrin.exe" > > > > > it will erase all the > > > > > >data in your hard drive and it will stay in your > > > > > memory. > > > > > > > > > > > >Every time that you upload any data, that data will > > > > > be automatically > > > > > >erased and you will not be able to use your > > > > > computer again. > > > > > > > > > > > >This information was published yesterday in the CNN > > > > > web site. > > > > > > > > > > > >This is a very dangerous virus. > > > > > > > > > > > >To this date. There is no known anti virus program > > > > > for this particular > > > > > >virus please, forward this information to your > > > > > friends, so that they will > > > > > >be on the alert, also check the list below, sent by > > > > > IBM with the names of > > > > > >some e-mails that, if received. SHOULD NOT BE > > > > > OPENED and must be deleted > > > > > >immediately. Because they contain attached viruses. > > > > > > > > > > > >This way your computer will be safe. > > > > > > > > > > > >The Titles are: > > > > > > > > > > > > 1) buddylst.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 2) calcul8r.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 3) deathpr.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 4) einstein.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 5) happ.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 6) girls.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 7) happy99.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 8) japanese.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 9) keypress.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 10) kitty.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 11) monday.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 12) teletubb.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 13) The Phantom Menace > > > > > > > > > > > > 14) prettypark.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 15) UP-GRADE INTERNET > > > > > > > > > > > > 16) perrin.exe > > > > > > > > > > > > 17) I love You > > > > > > > > > > > > 18) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs > > > > > > > > > > > > i9) CELCOM Screen Saver or CELSAVER.EX > > > > > > > > > > > > 20) Win a Holiday (e-mail) > > > > > > > > > > > > 21) JOIN THE CREW 0 PENPALS Subject: Virus > > > > > > > > > > > > Announced by Microsoft > > > > > > > > > > > > This is VERY SERIOUS!! Please forward to > > > > > everyone you know > > > > > > > > > > > > There is a virus out flow being sent to people > > > > > via E-mail. lt. is > > > > > > considered the A.l.D.S. VIRUS of computers. > > > > > > > > > > > >It will destroy your memory, sound card and > > > > > speakers, your drive and it > > > > > >will infect your mouse or pointing device as well > > > > > as your keyboards, making > > > > > >it so that you can't type and it will not register > > > > > on the screen. It > > > > > >seIf-terminates only after it eats 5MB of hard > > > > > drive space and will delete > > > > > >all programs. > > > > > > > > > > > > It will come via an E-mail called "(OPEN. VERY > > > > > COOL!:)" DELETE IT > > > > > >immediately'! It will basically render your > > > > > computer useless. > > > > > > > > > > > > Pass this on QUICKLY AND TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS > > > > > POSSIBLE. > > > > > > > > > > > > Very Urgent, Must Read > > > > > > > > > > > > Please. > > > > > > > > > > > > If you receive an E-mail Titled "Win A Holiday" > > > > > DO NOT > > > > > > open it. > > > > > > It will erase everything on your hard drive. > > > > > > > > > > > > Forward this letter out to as many people as > > > > > you can. > > > > > > > > > > > > This is a new, very malicious virus and not > > > > > many people > > > > > > know about it. > > > > > > > > > > > > This information was announced yesterday > > > > > morning from > > > > > > Microsoft. > > > > > > > > > > > > Neil Ferrick > > > > > > > > > > > > Compaq Computer Corporation > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >_________________________________________________________________________ > > > > > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at > > > > > http://www.hotmail.com. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > > > Do You Yahoo!? > > > > Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. > > > > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same" -Unknown. _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-13 ******************************