Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 17 Wednesday, 18 April 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: vanderbilt show TMBG: mink car TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Re: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Re: TMBG: vanderbilt show Re[2]: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! TMBG: Did dial-a-song blow up? TMBG: TMBG signature drawing... Re: TMBG: mink car TMBG: Hello out there... Re: TMBG: Hello out there... TMBG: Re: Mink Car: The 50's Album TMBG: Vanderbilt show pics... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 03:09:41 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: vanderbilt show Message-ID: <6e.9a1dbe1.280d4635@aol.com> Mike Hooker writes: >who was at the vanderbilt gig? i thought it was an awesome show, they >really cranked. maybe it was a payback to WLIR for all the support , so they >really played hard . Yes! The show was awesome! Personally, I liked the 2nd guy who openned more than the first. Was more tolerable and funny. :) Have to say WLIR was wonderful in helping organize the event. I picked up the "No!" preview while there. Not to sound like an obsessed nut, but I listened to "Sleepwalkers" for about a hour last night. I'm trying to come up with storyboard ideas. I'll post it and try getting some feedback if people are willing. Not sure what my favorite parts of the show were. I loved how they preformed "James K. Polk", "Shoe Horn", "Fingertips", "Lie Still, Little Bottle" (I have a wav of me somewhere singing), and the conducting of random cords everytime either John pointed at one of the band members. They need to bring out The Stick more. A stick is your friend (or is it a cow?). >did anyone think john l. was stoned or hammered or both? he said some stuff that >was more wacky than usual, and the thoughts didnt seem to be flowing too well. >my friend said he saw people walking back and forth from the side of the stage >before the show, refilling a bong with water, but maybe he was stoned :) . Not sure. Someone said he was a bit shy when involving autographs. I was one of the few people left behind talking to a few folks. One being Iggy Pinto, who did lighting tech work during the show. (Incredible job with that.) I will say John F. seemed very hyper, or is he normally like that? One of the plugs in a guitar he was bouncing around with kept popping out. As fer things involving drinks, after the show I asked John F. what was up with all the mugs. He said they just drank a lot of coffee. >i recorded the show. the quality isnt A, the acoustics at the vanderbilt suck big >time, every gig ive recorded there has been less than stellar. i think with some >remastering, i can make it sound real nice . anyone wants to trade, let me know. I saw two people with recorders. One guy was taping random people before the show, asking if anyone had anything they'd like to sing or say. I just mentioned about the prints I had with me I was planning on trying to get autographed (will paste URL at the end). The idea came about from a friend and peaking at photos on TDK's page. Found out from him Kyle Carozza did the cartoon of the two Johns. The other guy I saw at passing. The side was open, missing the tape (which he probably took out) after the show. I had my Canon AE-1 with me. To my amazement, they allowed "still" photography. Two people near the floor railing were very nice and allowed me to stand inbetween them during the show. I was right be low Mr. Flansburg. The shots (not counting the ones of people outside) will be scanned during this or next week. Send an email if you'd like to see my work. Jessie writes: >it was my first they might be giants show and i loved it! it was probably the coolest >thing i've ever seen or done. This was my first show I've been to as well. The James K. Polk canon and The Stick were cool. *thumbs up* >i don't know about linnell being stoned, but does he usually talk more than he did? >he didn't seem to really talk much at all until the second encore when he was >talking about that guy with the shoe and how he has two feet... The shoe was funny. I don't remember what they replied with when he asked why someone was holding up a sneaker the whole time. I think it was something like "I have two feet." Or maybe Linnell said that. *shrugs* Anyway, not sure if he seemed less enthusiastic during the show or not. Like I said, John F. seemed hyper, or is he normally like that? >Did you meet flansburgh after the show? that was probably the best part of it for me >- getting to meet him at my first tmbg concert, and i met all of the dans as well. it >was really cool. I met him. Cool guy, and very very cute. I talked to him for about 3 minutes before the crowds swarmed around me. I showed him the cartoon I drew and brought to the show. It's the two Johns in clothes and swimming gear on a confused cow waiting to go to Cowtown. John F. told me it made him look "very youthful". Dan Miller said it didn't look like John L. in the pic because he has brown hair and doesn't wear sun glasses. To explain, I was planning on coloring it and he wouldn't wear water wings either. :) PLEASE if you've not seen it, go to the following URL: http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=tmbgsigpic.jpg The entire band, Maria Pinto, and her husband Iggy signed it. TDK and the group were given a copy. By any chance, does anyone here know Maria? The email address she gave me bounced. I'm also working on a 180 inversion letters of "They Might / Be Giants". It'll be posted during the week. It's 3AM, paper's done. Need sleeeeep. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:39:01 -0700 From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: mink car Message-ID: I had no idea what a "mink car" was, so I did an internet search. Apparently, "Mink Car" is the title of a Cure song. I wasn't a big enough Cure fan to know that beforehand. My search also brought up the phrase "mink car coat" -- a mink fur coat meant to be worn and shown off in a car. Very '50s. Liberace had one, too. It would be funny if TMBG were riffing on the weird syntax of the non-hyphenated phrase "mink car coat." What is it? Why, a coat you can wear in your mink car, of course! I only got one link that led me to believe there was an actual product known as a "mink car" -- the phrase appeared on a page advertising a magazine about classic scooters, and mentioned that one was used in the movie version of Quadrophenia. That's all I was able to find. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:53:25 -0700 From: "Kristin Munkittrick" Subject: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Message-ID: <001e01c0c74e$2848a580$a5be5380@6sky501> Hey guys- I went to tmbg.com yesterday, and was barraged with thousands (okay, maybe not thousands) of pop up windows that basically incapacitated Explorer. This is the only website that is doing this, so I am pretty sure it isn't a problem on my end. Has anyone else run into this? Kristin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:29:10 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Message-ID: <66.e0ca48e.280dad36@aol.com> I've had that same problem also, but it doesn't happen every time. It was fine when I went back and tried again. furfr ps It WAS thousands! Hey guys- I went to tmbg.com yesterday, and was barraged with thousands (okay, maybe not thousands) of pop up windows that basically incapacitated Explorer. This is the only website that is doing this, so I am pretty sure it isn't a problem on my end. Has anyone else run into this? Kristin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:39:14 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: vanderbilt show Message-ID: <3ADC5591.CF39DE40@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org That's cool. -scratch Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > Mike Hooker writes: > > >who was at the vanderbilt gig? i thought it was an awesome show, they > >really cranked. maybe it was a payback to WLIR for all the support , so they > >really played hard . > > Yes! The show was awesome! Personally, I liked the 2nd guy who openned more > than the first. Was more tolerable and funny. :) Have to say WLIR was > wonderful in helping organize the event. I picked up the "No!" preview while > there. Not to sound like an obsessed nut, but I listened to "Sleepwalkers" > for about a hour last night. I'm trying to come up with storyboard ideas. > I'll post it and try getting some feedback if people are willing. > > Not sure what my favorite parts of the show were. I loved how they preformed > "James K. Polk", "Shoe Horn", "Fingertips", "Lie Still, Little Bottle" (I > have a wav of me somewhere singing), and the conducting of random cords > everytime either John pointed at one of the band members. They need to bring > out The Stick more. A stick is your friend (or is it a cow?). > > >did anyone think john l. was stoned or hammered or both? he said some stuff > that >was more wacky than usual, and the thoughts didnt seem to be flowing > too well. >my friend said he saw people walking back and forth from the side > of the stage >before the show, refilling a bong with water, but maybe he was > stoned :) . > > Not sure. Someone said he was a bit shy when involving autographs. I was one > of the few people left behind talking to a few folks. One being Iggy Pinto, > who did lighting tech work during the show. (Incredible job with that.) I > will say John F. seemed very hyper, or is he normally like that? One of the > plugs in a guitar he was bouncing around with kept popping out. As fer things > involving drinks, after the show I asked John F. what was up with all the > mugs. He said they just drank a lot of coffee. > > >i recorded the show. the quality isnt A, the acoustics at the vanderbilt > suck big >time, every gig ive recorded there has been less than stellar. i > think with some >remastering, i can make it sound real nice . anyone wants to > trade, let me know. > > I saw two people with recorders. One guy was taping random people before the > show, asking if anyone had anything they'd like to sing or say. I just > mentioned about the prints I had with me I was planning on trying to get > autographed (will paste URL at the end). The idea came about from a friend > and peaking at photos on TDK's page. Found out from him Kyle Carozza did the > cartoon of the two Johns. The other guy I saw at passing. The side was open, > missing the tape (which he probably took out) after the show. > > I had my Canon AE-1 with me. To my amazement, they allowed "still" > photography. Two people near the floor railing were very nice and allowed me > to stand inbetween them during the show. I was right be low Mr. Flansburg. > The shots (not counting the ones of people outside) will be scanned during > this or next week. Send an email if you'd like to see my work. > > Jessie writes: > > >it was my first they might be giants show and i loved it! it was probably > the coolest >thing i've ever seen or done. > > This was my first show I've been to as well. The James K. Polk canon and The > Stick were cool. *thumbs up* > > >i don't know about linnell being stoned, but does he usually talk more than > he did? >he didn't seem to really talk much at all until the second encore > when he was >talking about that guy with the shoe and how he has two feet... > > The shoe was funny. I don't remember what they replied with when he asked why > someone was holding up a sneaker the whole time. I think it was something > like "I have two feet." Or maybe Linnell said that. *shrugs* Anyway, not sure > if he seemed less enthusiastic during the show or not. Like I said, John F. > seemed hyper, or is he normally like that? > > >Did you meet flansburgh after the show? that was probably the best part of > it for me >- getting to meet him at my first tmbg concert, and i met all of > the dans as well. it >was really cool. > > I met him. Cool guy, and very very cute. I talked to him for about 3 minutes > before the crowds swarmed around me. I showed him the cartoon I drew and > brought to the show. It's the two Johns in clothes and swimming gear on a > confused cow waiting to go to Cowtown. John F. told me it made him look "very > youthful". Dan Miller said it didn't look like John L. in the pic because he > has brown hair and doesn't wear sun glasses. To explain, I was planning on > coloring it and he wouldn't wear water wings either. :) PLEASE if you've not > seen it, go to the following URL: > > http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=tmbgsigpic.jpg > > The entire band, Maria Pinto, and her husband Iggy signed it. TDK and the > group were given a copy. > > By any chance, does anyone here know Maria? The email address she gave me > bounced. I'm also working on a 180 inversion letters of "They Might / Be > Giants". It'll be posted during the week. It's 3AM, paper's done. Need > sleeeeep. > > Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:44:26 -0400 From: Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Message-ID: <0104179875.AA987518669@smtplink.sterl.com> Sounds like some little aol puppies sharpening their hacker teeth on tmbg.com. That is apparently a pretty easy hack to accomplish, unless the site is well protected. It's pretty commonplace, annoying, and harmless. Hopefully by the time they learn to do real damage, tmbg.com/.org won't be interesting enough for them, & they'll go visit Microsoft or the Pentagon. Or maybe they'll get smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg.com gone screwy??! Author: Date: 04/17/01 10:29 AM I've had that same problem also, but it doesn't happen every time. It was fine when I went back and tried again. furfr ps It WAS thousands! Hey guys- I went to tmbg.com yesterday, and was barraged with thousands (okay, maybe not thousands) of pop up windows that basically incapacitated Explorer. This is the only website that is doing this, so I am pretty sure it isn't a problem on my end. Has anyone else run into this? Kristin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:38:36 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Did dial-a-song blow up? Message-ID: <5b.14cb5c67.280dbd7c@aol.com> Is what Mr. Flansburg (jokingly) told me when I had asked him about it. Currently, if I call into Brooklyn, it's either busy, or just keeps ringing. Did anyone fix it yet? Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:47:21 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG signature drawing... Message-ID: I posted the URL to this in a longer letters. Figure maybe better to put it in a shorter one incase people glanced past it. About a week and a half ago, I finished a cartoon featuring the two Johns in clothes and swimming gear sitting on a confused cow wanting to go to Cowtown. John F. told me it made him look "very youthful". Dan Miller said it didn't look like John L. in the pic because he has brown hair and doesn't wear sun glasses. To explain, I was planning on coloring it and he wouldn't wear water wings either. :) The entire band, Maria Pinto, and her husband Iggy signed it. TDK and the group were given a copy. http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=tmbgsigpic.jpg By any chance, does anyone here know Maria? The email address she gave me bounced. I finished the 180 degree inversion letters of "They Might / Be Giants". It'll be posted during the week. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:08:47 EDT From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: mink car Message-ID: << Apparently, "Mink Car" is the title of a Cure song. I wasn't a big enough Cure fan to know that beforehand. >> My ex-girlfriend *is* a big enough Cure fan, and she says the actual title of the song is "Mint Car". PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:12:55 -0500 From: "XSarahX" Subject: TMBG: Hello out there... Message-ID: <265002001421716125578@antisocial.com> Hi. I'm new. The name is Sarah or XSarahX. I'm 18 years old (19 in August), from Long Island, New York, and I've loved TMBG since the 9th grade. My first TMBG show was at (the now defunct) Tramps in NYC. I saw only the all-ages show because I was only 14. December 31, 1998. I've seen them a lot in recent months because I have more money and also a boyfriend who is willing to accompany me. I went to "Celebrate Brooklyn" over the summer, where myself and a few other fans waited and waited by the back gate (and a set of doors) for some attention from the Johns. Our waiting paid off when we convinced John F. to sign some autographs (he drew his custom "John F" with the face inside the "o" and wrote "TMBG" on mine, it's framed on my wall cause I'm a dork). I also went to the "FLOOD" show (the original!) and one of the other November ones at Bowery Ballroom. Imagine my shock and suprise when I find that they are coming to *my* mall (yes, mine). I saw them play their short little set at Record Town in the South Shore Mall (which is a 5 minute drive from my house). The autographing there bothered me only slightly because I felt like it meant less because now *tons* of people have them. But I wanted a John Linnell autograph so I waited on line and got a nifty picture drawn (it's of the two Johns in a stance much like the "Music self-played is Happiness self-made" one). I also just saw them on Saturday night at the Vanderbilt. My boyfriend and I met up with TDK and helped him out of his backpack problem. I am going to attend the RIF show on the 30th with my best friend (who also went to Record Town with me). I don't have much else to say right now. I ordered the McSweeney's book & disk off of tmbg.com and I know that eBay has some up for sale. I bought the "NO!" preview at the Vanderbilt and was thrilled because the only version of "Sleepwalkers" I had before was a cut-off napster version. Anyway, I just wanted to announce my presence and to say "Hi" because I only found this little group yesterday. Thanks for reading if you got this far. XSarahX *~* http://xsariferx.homestead.com I'm on the web, check me out! "I love mud." _____________________________________________ Free email with personality! Over 200 domains! http://www.MyOwnEmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:31:27 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello out there... Message-ID: ::waves:: I'm new to the list also, and a fellow Long Islander. I got into TMBG at about 1994, from a friend of mine. I'd seen the Tiny Toons videos sometime before, but didn't realize who they were at the time (still a big animation fan). I copied Brian's CD to tape, which I listened while I drew. Sometime later a friend pointed out (this was in 1999) that they had a release of a complation of music videos. I still watch it from time to time, especially when I draw. I have to say that they really inspire me for things. Are they working on any up coming video projects besides the documentary? Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:07:25 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car: The 50's Album Message-ID: <9bibcs$108s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org John Ferrer : > http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-front.gif > http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-back.jpg I was impressed, they look great! Visually appropriate, too. (I'm sorry I hadn't posted that yet.) > Even though Secret Mountain Labaratory is SO last week. Well, maybe it'll become the next Superfueled Freaksicle. Lord knows there are an album's worth of isolated recordings from various sources. I would definitely print out your cover for my home-burned copy. > Isn't "Yeh Yeh" a cover of a 50's song? '60s I thought, but regardless, your assertion makes sense to me. The '50s have an easily identifiable visual style that the liner notes could emulate (while distorting somewhat, in the spirit of the songs themselves). Perhaps they could look like a sales brochure for this surreal pelt-mobile. So yeah, even though "Mink Car" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, I think it's workable. My next question is, does it have mink hubcaps? And how do you cool the engine with all that fur trapping the heat? It'd need one monster of a radiator grill. Bryce Clown car, drives far. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:23:52 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Vanderbilt show pics... Message-ID: 4 shots from the April 14th I posted today to Yiffnet Attic. Sometime during this or next week I will have the rest uploaded to my AOL account. Enjoy: http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=purplehaze.jpg (accidently posted the 200% version, just shrink it half way) http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=johnl.jpg http://solfire.com/yna/showimage.php?ident=ErikaLeigh&name=johnf.jpg Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-17 ******************************