Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 18 Thursday, 19 April 2001 Topics: (none) TMBG: Mink Car Mystery TMBG: Re: Mink Car Mystery TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... TMBG: McSweeny's Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... TMBG: 50s-60s tie in with Mink Car Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... Re: TMBG: RIP Joey Ramone Re: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... TMBG: Sleepwalker storyboarding idea... TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... Re: TMBG: Mink Car: The 50's Album Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Re: TMBG: "Unreliable Narrator" TMBG: ultra-short pittsburgh review Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:16:29 -0700 From: "NeRdBeAsTeR MaChInE" Subject: (none) Message-ID: <20010418121629.DKRB28488.mta10.onebox.com@onebox.com> i am also new to the list. my name is sarah as well. well actually ive been on the list for about 5 monthes but i havent really said anything. believe it or not ive never been to a tmbg show. i started listening to tmbg the day that flood came out. that's about 10 or 11 years. my prom is in a few wks but tmbg are finally coming to ohio the same day so im finally going to get to see them. i cant wait to meet the johns. whew, now i feel a little included. -- nerdbeast@bolt.com - email (513) 766-2001 ext. 7343 - voicemail/fax ___________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE Bolt Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax, all in one place - sign up at http://www.bolt.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:27:18 EDT From: Pahteeh@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Mink Car Mystery Message-ID: Hey all just thought I'd mention this since no one has yet.. I called Dial-A-Song yesterday while in my photo class (i had a calling card) (oh yeah i'm from Florida by the way.. not a local call over here :( ) and They have a song up appropriately titled (i should suppose):Mink Car!!! I tried to jot all the words down, but I'm sure I got a few phrases mixed up. So anyways I guess it'll be on the new album, since it is the title. Here's what I got: It's knocking off my diamond wig Knocking me off the platinum ground Woke up in a beautiful dream Alone Alone (it might have said alone 3 times, i'm not sure) I got hit by a mink car Hit by a mink car Driven by a guitar And the silver shepard says That it's all in your head When you're 24 karat dead Dead Dead (again, don't remember how many times it was repeated) Then the chorus was repeated... So I guess this solves the Mink Car Mystery!! Oh yeah, and then Flansburgh says that the new album *might* be out September 15th.. He didn't sound too sure though :( So yeah that's my story.. Call DAS!!! It's an ok song.. kinda mellow... ok well bye patty ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:11:52 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Mystery Message-ID: <9bkaua$2p6e$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Sounds pretty demo-y, it might be under development. Flansburgh's vocals are really good, though. Very smooth and precise. Here are the complete lyrics. > It's knocking off my diamond wig Knocking me down onto the platinum ground > Woke up in a beautiful dream > Alone > Alone > > I got hit by a mink car > Hit by a mink car driven by a guitar And the silver chauffeur says that it's all in your head > When you're 24 karats dead > Dead I got hit by a mink car Hit by a mink car driven by a guitar And the silver chauffeur says that it's all in your head When you're 24 karats dead Dead Dead Dead Dead Bryce Then came a knock on the door, which was odd, and the picture abruptly changed. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:15:22 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... Message-ID: I have a copy of the "No!" preview. I wanted to write out the lyrics from "Sleepwalkers", but some of them I wasn't sure what they were. It's an absolute beautiful song, and the xylophone being heard reminds me of a child's crib mobiel. There's a "?" by the one I'm not sure of. Here's what I got: See them over there See them up and down the road Their arms held out ahead, And their eyes, Their eyes are closed Don't make any noise, Cry out loud, Or stamp your feet You'll wake the girls and boys Who are walking in their sleep Everynight They throw aside their blankets, Swing their feet and stand up, And move out to the street Like they're under a spell And together they roam across the country And they're walking in their sleep You'll recognize them when you see them ?They're on both in their stalking feet It seems like they want something, But- (music picks up) We don't know what is is, But here they come again Yes, here they come again (music slows) Move aside them Let the people go by They don't see you, Thinking that they're home in their beds They must not be disturbed When they're wandering all across the country, And they're walking in their sleep Perhaps when they awake, They'll remember everything They'll think it was a dream It will be forgotten then But don't make any noise, Cry out loud, Or stamp your feet You'll wake the girls and boys Who are walking in their sleep Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:39:33 -0500 From: Andrew Boyle Subject: TMBG: McSweeny's Message-ID: Hello all, Just got mine! Lots of fine tunes. I feel like it is Christmas morning but I can't scream "Yippee!" because it came at work. But I can listen. 11 or 12 songs we already know (Edith Head, West Virginia, etc.) but that leaves 32 or 33 that I know I haven't heard. I can run down the other known songs if anyone wants. I am on the digest so let me know directly at my email if anyone think I should. The Doughty track (Frog and Banjo, #26) is worth my money by itself. I will go ahead and spoil it: Track 25 "Gazing Out Toward" is saying "Quit Looking at Me, quit looking, ..." over and over. I will have to let them sink in more. I am a happy fan. I might even read the book! Nice to meet you. Andrew Boyle Orlando, FL "That's a very melancholy numeral." ÁÁ-M. Doughty Frog and Banjo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:08:19 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: 50s-60s tie in with Mink Car Message-ID: Here's yet another tie in: i was on ebay and i noticed that the 2001 tour poster has an upright vacuum cleaner featured in the background. That's very 50s housewife to me. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:37:28 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... Message-ID: <37.13d7520b.280f2ad9@aol.com> Thank you everyone that msg me on corrections. Also, I appologize fer spelling Mr. Flansburgh's name in previous posts. I forgot the "H" probably cause it really isn't heard at the end. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:29:31 -0000 From: "Eugene Jarvis" Subject: Re: TMBG: RIP Joey Ramone Message-ID: Now THIS is something that truley sucks. I know alot of my crap doesn't get read, and for the most part I'm probably typing to myself, but I suggest a 3-hour span of no one posting anything... like a moment of silence. I mean, come on, Joey Ramone is, like, the GOD of punk. A not only did their music change the face of Punk (not to mention CREATED the face of Punk), but their lyrics really meant something to those of us who just plain had enough. So come on, what do you say??? ---------------------------------------------------------- My Website: http://stalkingsarah.20m.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "Sittin' here in Queens, Eatin' refried beans, ---------------- We're in all the magazines, "Serial Man" Gulpin' down thorazines. ---------------- Josh Buckland We ain't got no friends, A.K.A "Eugene Jarvis" Our troubles never end, --------------------- No Christmas card to send, Daddy likes men..." -Joey Ramone _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:55:01 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Mountain Labaratory Message-ID: > >Well I thought they were very good. Are you now going to do a Pink Car?! >BTW Is this something you do for a living? >Richard I started on one for Mink Car, but to tell you the truth, the idea's not as appealing now that the title is official. I sort of figured they wouldn't use Secret Mountain LabOratory, but I just thought it was cool and came up with something for it. Now that there's definately going to be a real Mink Car cover, making one would probably put me on an unhealthy spiral of confusion, not to mention anger for myself and others. I'm not really sure why this would happen, but something just tells me it would, so I'm being careful. But hey, if I have enough free time, maybe I'll finish what I started. And no, I don't do it for a living, but I have a lot of image editors, and I've done lots of graphic design,mostly for my own websites. Thanks everybody for the kind comments! > > >>> "John Ferrer" 13/04/01 15:04:31 >>> >I've tried to send a message with attachments three times now, and it >hasn't come through, so I finallyjust uploaded them to a friend's old >Geocities page. So if the original messages show up some time, sorry. > >Anyways, I was bored a couple days ago, and I was still really excited >about >the possible album name Flans gave at theymightbegiants.com, probably too >excited, since it was most likely just an off-the-cuff joke. I don't care! >I >made front and back covers for it anyway, because I can. Turns out that >the >front looks better in GIF, and the back looks better in JPG, so my >apologies to continuity. Tell me what you think, thanks! > >http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-front.gif > >http://www.geocities.com/zombiechef/secretmountainlabaratory-back.jpg >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > >________________________________________________________________________ >This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet, >delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. >For further information visit: >http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp > > > >________________________________________________________________________ >This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet, >delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. >For further information visit: >http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:10:50 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... Message-ID: "Sleepwalkers" reminds me a whole lot of Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning." Any takers? I think this is definately one of the prettiest, coolest songs They've done in a while. The last one I can remember that just struck me as being so beautiful was "Spiralling Shape," another it reminds me of. It almost doesn't belong on a children's album if you ask me. My younger siblings are a little bored by it. In fact, a lot of the people I play it for are bored by it, but they just don't know! It's also funny to see people brighten up a little when the music kicks up, only to be disappointed by having it go right back again, which I think is the coolest thing ever. Sorry for breaking the moment of silence for our pal Joey, but I'm going to be busy for a couple days. As they say in the schoolhouses of America, "Okay...starting...NOW!" >From: Film2Edit@aol.com >Reply-To: Film2Edit@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Need help on transcribing a song... >Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:15:22 EDT > >I have a copy of the "No!" preview. I wanted to write out the lyrics from >"Sleepwalkers", but some of them I wasn't sure what they were. It's an >absolute beautiful song, and the xylophone being heard reminds me of a >child's crib mobiel. There's a "?" by the one I'm not sure of. Here's what >I >got: > >See them over there >See them up and down the road >Their arms held out ahead, >And their eyes, >Their eyes are closed > >Don't make any noise, >Cry out loud, >Or stamp your feet >You'll wake the girls and boys >Who are walking in their sleep > >Everynight >They throw aside their blankets, >Swing their feet and stand up, >And move out to the street >Like they're under a spell > >And together they roam across the country >And they're walking in their sleep > >You'll recognize them when you see them >?They're on both in their stalking feet >It seems like they want something, >But- > >(music picks up) > >We don't know what is is, >But here they come again >Yes, here they come again > >(music slows) > >Move aside them >Let the people go by >They don't see you, >Thinking that they're home in their beds >They must not be disturbed > >When they're wandering all across the country, >And they're walking in their sleep > >Perhaps when they awake, >They'll remember everything >They'll think it was a dream >It will be forgotten then > >But don't make any noise, >Cry out loud, >Or stamp your feet >You'll wake the girls and boys >Who are walking in their sleep > > > > >Talk 2 u later-Erika _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:45:03 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Sleepwalker storyboarding idea... Message-ID: Can't say I've heard "Sunday Morning" to compare it to. If anyone has a mp3 of it, would love to list. It is a very pretty song. I've been listening to it obsessely trying to come up with possible storyboard ideas for maybe an animation. I'm weird that way. I know it's about sleepwalkers, but was getting ideas (not an interpretation). Title and credits are scene as the intro starts. The premiss for it a young girl (maybe about 6) sharing a bedroom with her younger brother (about 4). He gets up, drops his teddy bear on the side of the bed, and starts walking down the stairs to the front door. His sister noticing this follows him. To her surprise, many zombie like children (with eyes closed) start walking down a surburban street. Before she can chase after her brother (as the beat and music pick up) they are all lifted ghost-like into the air, still sleep walking. This continues until the music calms down, and there is a blinding flash. When the light disappears back to darkness, the girl sees nothing. Running back to her house and up the stairs she looks out the window. Nothing but houses and trees to be found. She turns back to seeing her brother softly slumbering. Picking up the bear, she places it next to him. She hugs him and closes her eyes. The shot pans back out, reveling she was really sleeping. As the song comes to an end. Her brother looks over at his sister, smiling, walks over to the window, and closes the draps. (song ends) So, whatcha all think? Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:07:39 -0700 From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Message-ID: Mink Car: At first it sounded a ton like Wierd Al singing it was wierd. I liked the song but i think its wierd that they'd have a title track. they're breaking the mold here and my head is about to explode!!!!!! Erich ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:03:21 From: "Lucas Thompson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Message-ID: >From: "-=eRiCh=-" >Reply-To: "-=eRiCh=-" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) >Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:07:39 -0700 > >Mink Car: At first it sounded a ton like Wierd Al singing it was wierd. I >liked the song but i think its wierd that they'd have a title track. >they're >breaking the mold here and my head is about to explode!!!!!! > >Erich hehe... I bet it won't even be on the cd... it'd be more like them to put the title track on the single only ;) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:10:10 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Message-ID: <9d.145698a1.280f6ac2@aol.com> > I > >liked the song but i think its wierd that they'd have a title track. > >they're > > Hehe, people were saying the same thing back when Flans said the title was going to be Unreliable Narrator. That seems so long ago now... Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:58:39 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: The 50's Album Message-ID: John Ferrer: >I think "Wicked Little Critta," "Museum of Idiots," and "Unreliable >Narrator" would all fit in well too, so I hope they're included. So you've HEARD "Unreliable Narrator"? Are you referring to that "Substitute Teacher" song? I know that was once referred to as "Unreliable Narrator," and I guess it could be, but it seems unlikely to me, for several reasons: 1. Flansburgh sings the Subsitute song. When he first mentioned "Unreliable Narrator," he said that Linnell had written it. There are some songs written by one John and sung by the other, but the other way 'round is much more common. 2. Flans said that "Unreliable Narrator" was his favorite TMBG song. This is a matter of opinion, of course, but I find it somewhat unlikely that Flans would consider "I'm The Substitute Now" to be the band's best-ever song. 3. I don't recall when the interview in which Flans first mentioned UN was held, but wasn't it after "Substitute Teacher" had been on Radio TMBG for a little while? Flans said in the interview that "Linnell just wrote it." I could be wrong, though, and "just wrote it" doesn't necessarily mean much. Isn't Flans still calling "Cyclops Rock" a new song? 4. What the bling does the Substitute Teacher song have to do with an unreliable narrator? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ And if you were talking about a different song, where did you hear it? _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:07:32 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car (the Song) Message-ID: Erich: >Mink Car: At first it sounded a ton like Wierd Al singing it was wierd. I >liked the song but i think its wierd that they'd have a title track. >they're >breaking the mold here and my head is about to explode!!!!!! As Kay has already mentioned, people were saying this same thing back when "Unreliable Narrator" was the tentative album title. I'm not really sure it's as big of a deal as you make it sound, though. Have the Johns ever said anything against having a title track on an album? XTC's Andy Partridge did, but, last time I checked, he wasn't in TMBG. Just because none of the TMBG albums that have been released so far (and there really haven't been that many) have title tracks doesn't really suggest that this a trend They have to keep up. Besides, two of the TMBG albums, as well as State Songs, have "themes," and both Mono Puff albums have title tracks. If They call the song "Theme From Mink Car," will you feel better? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ The song "They Might Be Giants" wasn't on the album "They Might Be Giants." So maybe the song "Mink Car" won't be on the album "Mink Car," either. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:40:20 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Unreliable Narrator" Message-ID: <9blmpl$15ij$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff : [several excellent snipped points] > 4. What the bling does the Substitute Teacher > song have to do with an unreliable narrator? Yes, exactly. That was an Emusic blunder. Of all the new songs we've had a chance to hear, if any could sensibly be called "Unreliable Narrator," it would have to be Finished with Lies. Wasn't it written about that same time? I think it's an excellent fit. However, if there really is an as-yet-unheard song named Unreliable Narrator, I don't have a problem with that. :) Bryce The truth is where the sculptor's chisel chipped away the lie. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:44:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: ultra-short pittsburgh review Message-ID: great show, in the top 10 of shows I have seen probably tons of energy despite flans being sick lots of funny banter hopped up on coffee ana ng they might be giants marmalade more later Josh -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "well the clock's heart it hangs inside its open chest with hands stretched towards the calendar hanging itself" - Bright Eyes ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-18 ******************************