Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 28 Monday, 30 April 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: The Larry Sanders Show TMBG: Re: The Larry Sanders Show TMBG: Larry Sanders TMBG: Re: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: Re: The Larry Sanders Show TMBG: WPI Show TMBG: Recent MITM episodes TMBG: Re: Recent MITM episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:17:29 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: The Larry Sanders Show Message-ID: >I don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet, so here it is - TMBG is scheduled to >appear on The Larry Sanders Show on the HBO Comedy network on Monday, May >7, at 11:30 pm Eastern. Ah, cool. On my bday too. Would anyone know how long the show is? Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:38:11 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: The Larry Sanders Show Message-ID: <001801c0d0b1$a2fc33c0$8c43c7d0@tdk> Just so you know, it's a rerun of the episode from '96 in which They perform S-E-X-X-Y. -Mike ----- Original Message ----- > Hey everyone, > I don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet, so here it is > - TMBG is scheduled to appear on The Larry Sanders Show > on the HBO Comedy network on Monday, May 7, at 11:30 pm > Eastern. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:29:46 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:36:07 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: Larry Sanders Message-ID: <00e701c0d0db$41e955c0$8c43c7d0@tdk> The Larry Sanders Show does indeed have musical guests, Sanders introduces TMBG while holding a copy of Factory Showroom, it shows them performing a little and then cuts to a scene backstage where it shows Hank having a discussion with his rabbi (you can hear TMBG playing in the background) and then it cuts to Sanders watching TMBG from his desk and Scott Thompson's character comes over and says something to Sanders followed by, "Great band, aye?" (Thompson is a confirmed TMBG fan) and then it cuts back to a shot of TMBG finishing the song. -Mike ----- Original Message ----- From: John Ferrer To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 6:29 PM Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders Do they just perform the song, or do they do anything else? I've long known about this performance as it's always been one of the two things that show up on the IMdB when you type in one of the Johns' names, the other one being some student film that somehow slept its way into the list. Anyways, as far as I know, the Larry Sanders Show doesn't have musical guests, so is it the kind of thing where the characters go to some hotel where TMBG performs in the lobby, or are the Johns actually part of the script? I know I could just wait and see, but...why would I? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:35:46 -0800 From: Monique Hebert Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Larry Sanders Show Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.0.20010429103005.009f0b40@mail.dork.com> At 09:38 AM 4/29/01 -0400, TDK wrote: >Just so you know, it's a rerun of the episode from '96 in which They perform >S-E-X-X-Y. Were They on another episode? At 06:29 PM 4/29/01 +0000, John Ferrer wrote: >Do they just perform the song, or do they do anything else? They just perform the song, and you don't even get to hear the whole thing because it's a talkover. The scene is mostly Hank hitting on a Rabbi behind the audience, with Them playing in the background. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:16:50 From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: WPI Show Message-ID: Hey all... The Worcester show was great! Unfortunatley, Linnell's voice was gone. They really had a great time there, and it showed. Apparently, they'd just played the two worst shows ever. I'm not sure where they were. I do know at the New Haven show last week, they weren't too happy. Linnell touted his likeness to Jack Klugman (his voice was super low, and couldn't sing very high). So, they played a "concept" show. It was a mainly Flansy set. Which is cool, cause I now realize I like a lot more of his songs than I thought I did. They were all on fire for the whole show. All in top form.. They all played very very well. They did Subliminal, but had Flansy sing Linnell's high "Subliminal" line in the chorus. It worked. Flansy also sang lead in The Sun. A rockin' Twistin' ended the show with Dan Miller taking the initiative of singing Linnell's "Twistiiiiiiiiing" part in the chorus. It was kind of a "John Flansburgh Experience", or "John Flansburgh Blues Explosion" Hmm. Maybe not. It was fun, though. The most fun I've had at a TMBG show since the Bowery Dial-A-Song show. If anyone there saw Scout open, they could probably confirm how much they indeed sucked. Too bad. Not much of a warm-up band. -Dave _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 01:06:43 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Recent MITM episodes Message-ID: Hello all, I just had to voice my opinion on the music in the past two week of "Malcolm". I personally think it has been INCREDIBLE. The Giants have made some sweet little ditties for the shows. If anyone saw this week (sunday, april 29) you may have heard the Linnell Accordion track at the end which i really liked. Anyway, i'm interested in hearing what others had to say about the music as of the last few episodes. Enjoy your week. Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:08:52 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: Recent MITM episodes Message-ID: <3AECBB24.990C560B@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org There was one song on the episode umm.. 2 weeks ago I think that I couldn't get out of my head for a while. -scratch Dan Brosnan wrote: > > Hello all, > > I just had to voice my opinion on the music in the past two week of > "Malcolm". I personally think it has been INCREDIBLE. The Giants have made > some sweet little ditties for the shows. If anyone saw this week (sunday, > april 29) you may have heard the Linnell Accordion track at the end which i > really liked. Anyway, i'm interested in hearing what others had to say > about the music as of the last few episodes. Enjoy your week. > > Dan > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:11:49 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM episodes Message-ID: <8e.14d4a3c7.281e15d5@aol.com> Yes, I noticed that the incidental music has been a bit more distinctly "TMBG'ish" lately. At first it seemed like they were just trying to make some fairly unobtrusive generic background music to add to the mood of the scenes (with the exception of the occasional "classic" TMBG song snippet, always a treat), but now I get the feeling that they've become confident enough with the job to let their style show through more. I also think the episodes have been really funny lately :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:20:57 EDT From: HotelDetective11@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Message-ID: In a message dated 4/29/01 9:07:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bros992@hotmail.com writes: > Hello all, > > ###I just had to voice my opinion on the music in the past two week of > "Malcolm". #I personally think it has been INCREDIBLE. #The Giants have > made > some sweet little ditties for the shows. #If anyone saw this week (sunday, > april 29) you may have heard the Linnell Accordion track at the end which i > really liked. #Anyway, i'm interested in hearing what others had to say > about the music as of the last few episodes. #Enjoy your week. > > ####Dan > i noticed the accordion, too, and must say that it was awesome. i agree with you completely, the shows have been great lately, as well as the music! jessie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:10:20 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Message-ID: <014201c0d11a$b5fd38c0$9b43c7d0@tdk> If someone were to rip a bunch of music from the show and put it online, Fox would be sure to go after that person. And yes, it is feasible for an instrumental soundtack to come out, there are at least two compilations floating around as it is. -Mike ----- Original Message ----- From: John Ferrer To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 1:39 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Someone REALLY needs to create an outlet for all this music. If anyone has the technology to easily get the songs from the small screen to the other small screen, I think it would be a widely appreciated effort. And before someone accuses me of ruining chances of a Malcolm score box set that the Johns would surely put out if the material wasn't already available online...please. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 02:43:14 From: "Lucas Thompson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Message-ID: > >If someone were to rip a bunch of music from the show and put it online, >Fox would be sure to go after that person. And yes, it is feasible for an >instrumental soundtack to come out, there are at least two compilations >floating around as it is. > > -Mike And I for one can vouch that I have never ever ever seen any other Fox copyrighted material on the web. That's right, never. And certainly not whole episodes. Nope. I have never seen entire simpsons episodes available for download. For example. Ever. If anyone did, they would be sued. Not only that, but even if there was, it would be entirely morally corrupt in every concievable way to sample any of that music by downloading it to one's hard drive. Furthermore, just about every television show in the history of forever has had a instrumental only soundtrack made for it. Every show. There's obviously nothing to worry about. It'll come, in time. And time, is marching on... _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:57:53 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent MITM Episodes Message-ID: <017f01c0d121$5a4e9800$9b43c7d0@tdk> Why is it that someone takes offense at every damn thing I say? It's a fact that Fox is very liberal about going after copyright infringement on the web, they have people working for them whos job it is to do nothing but search for such material. And I didn't say it was definite or even probable that an instrumental soundtrack will be released, I said it's feasible. So please, tone down the sarcasm a little? -Mike ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucas Thompson" > And I for one can vouch that I have never ever ever seen any other Fox > copyrighted material on the web. That's right, never. And certainly not > whole episodes. Nope. I have never seen entire simpsons episodes available > for download. For example. Ever. If anyone did, they would be sued. > Not only that, but even if there was, it would be entirely morally corrupt > in every concievable way to sample any of that music by downloading it to > one's hard drive. > Furthermore, just about every television show in the history of forever has > had a instrumental only soundtrack made for it. Every show. There's > obviously nothing to worry about. It'll come, in time. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-28 ******************************