Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 40, Number 3 Wednesday, 4 April 2001 Topics: TMBG: April Unlimited TMBG: Re: Oblongs TMBG: Telstar TMBG: Re: Oblongs TMBG: sapphire bullets tshirts TMBG: McSweeney's #6 TMBG: Educational TMBG Songs TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets tshirts Re: TMBG: Educational TMBG Songs Re: TMBG: Telstar TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality TMBG: bathymetry TMBG: An Answer of Fact and a Probably Less Satisfying Response to a Questio Re: TMBG: bathymetry TMBG: Re: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Re: TMBG: Re: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Re: TMBG: Re: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets tshirts Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality TMBG: NYC: Headfone Follies 4 wks left! TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Re: TMBG: Telstar Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 TMBG: check out this website! Re: TMBG: April Unlimited TMBG: Unlimited Klutziness Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 03:09:32 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: April Unlimited Message-ID: <33.12f6f185.27fad12c@aol.com> Since no one else has reviewed these tracks yet I'll do it! Finished with Lies: Good version! Much better than the dull slow one. For some reason it sounds like the music being played in a noxema commercial. I can see a beautiful teenaged couple frolicking at a carnival to this music, then a cut away to the girl rinsing her acne free face with Noxema brand face wash. Shooting Star: Another good one, but does this sound a little over modulated to anyone else? The beginning sounds a lot like Istanbul now sounds live with Dan Miller. It's good to hear a song with both Flans and Linnell vocals in it. It makes you realize that they are still in this thing together. Wicked Little Critter: The best track this month! Gotta love those Massachusetts accents! I'm really enjoying all the tracks with TMBG collaborating with the Elegant Two. I dont know who they are but they help give the giants more edge (which is always a good thing). Ram On: I'm not familiar with the original version but this one is pretty snazzy. Again it's nice and weird. I'm thinking of using this track as the theme in my final film I'm shooting for school. (The movie's about Big Mouth Billy Bass making someone go insane). Oranges and Graphic Design: Nice to hear a near CD quality version of this song (but it sounds a little over modulated too). Gotta love the bridge part about working the day, night and graveyard shifts. Chopping Block Testimonial: Silly! Again it's nice to hear Flans and Linnell with vocals. I wouldn't let some of my friends hear this because they'd use this as an excuse to say that TMBG is totally selling out. No!: "No is No" sounds like an anit-rape compaign to me (but then i'm a sicko). Still I like this song. I Am a Grocery Bag: Silly weird and cool. You can never complain about a song when It's 30 seconds long. Fibber Island: This is the first track I've heard off of No that seems to me as a true children's song. It's great. I know that if I was a kid I'd love this one. The instrumental "jam" at the end will be great for dreamy kids and stoners alike. Sleepwalkers: I love the live version of this song and was really looking foreward to what the studio version sounded like. I was a tiny bit disappointed. It's very simple. Sure it's a children's album but i thought it would be more trippy/dreamy than it turned out to be. It's still a great song. I hope they give us What is Everyone Staring At in the months to come. All in All it's the best month yet for unlimited. I am finding that ten bucks a month is totally worth it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:01:21 -0700 From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: Re: Oblongs Message-ID: >I hated it. It was terrible. It was just as offensive as South Park, but >not >as funny. I don't think I laughed once, and I'm not a lawyer or feminist or >anything. It's doomed. Pilot episodes almost always suck. I'm willing to give this show a chance to grow on me, because I really like the characters. If the show takes off, they might do a Simpsons and hire some better writers. The concept is great. I think the animation world is ready for a lovable family of working-class mutants who live in a polluted town. I love the recent trend of screwed-up cartoon families on TV...funny how cartoons can be a more accurate depiction of real life than sitcoms can. In a way, the show fits in pretty well with the TMBG aesthetic -- so many of their lyrics are about people who don't fit in -- physically, psychologically. Even Their name (and I realize the original reference is to a line in Don Quixote) alludes to a kind of perceived freakishness. Hmmm...you know, Malcolm in the Middle and The Oblongs are pretty similar shows, now that I think about it. I can totally see the Johns identifying with the MitM characters. I'm very glad they're not doing the music for Friends. My point (and I do have one): The dialogue was kinda dumb, but I think the show has a lot of potential. And good things for The Oblongs mean good things for TMBG. --This piece of pomposity has been brought to you by Jody. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:44:13 -0700 From: "Jody Beth Rosen" Subject: TMBG: Telstar Message-ID: I'm listening to "Telstar" by The Tornados, probably the most famous song produced by Joe Meek. I know the Giants are influenced by Meek (and have a Blue Men song up on Radio TMBG), but I'm hearing a bit of a musical similarity between "Telstar" and "Space Suit" (mainly in the "ahhh-ahhh" vocals). Has Flansburgh ever mentioned that Meek's sound was a direct influence on "Space Suit"? I'm just curious. Also, one of the February TMBGU tracks (can't remember which, because I somehow didn't save it to my hard drive) sounded VERY Meek-ish. Can anyone help me out with the title? And do you know if there are plans to release this song? For a popular band, They have really stupendous taste in music. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 05:26:47 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: Oblongs Message-ID: <9ac585$21e6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org It's just too bad that the Oblongs's regular time slot will be 8:30pm Sundays, against Malcolm.. -Mike "Jody Beth Rosen" wrote > Hmmm...you know, Malcolm in the Middle and > The Oblongs are pretty similar shows, now that > I think about it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:33:00 EDT From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: TMBG: sapphire bullets tshirts Message-ID: <6a.cb3403b.27fb2b0c@aol.com> Received mine yesterday! sweet! Well done man! Everyone, get one of these limited editions shirts, you'll be glad you did.. Mario ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:16:19 -0400 From: "Kristin ." Subject: TMBG: McSweeney's #6 Message-ID: I have been looking all over for McSweeney's (trying to find websites, etc, for the bookstores listed on mcsweeneys.net and everything). I found one semi-local bookstore that claims to carry it, but they don't have it yet. But here's what I did find.. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1420775866 Perhaps this is more expensive than it is in the stores (does anyone know?). It doesn't matter to me, I just want my copy :) Either way, it's one place to get it if you don't live in a big city... _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:26:44 -0400 From: "Kristin ." Subject: TMBG: Educational TMBG Songs Message-ID: I'm sure we have all been through this thread before, but... I'm looking for "real" educational songs for a CD that I'm making for a co-worker and his two daughters (all tmbg fans!). Stretches are ok as fillers, but I would like as many of them as possible to be fairly educational. Here are some songs off the top of my head.. I'm sure that there are many more!! Thanks for your help. James K. Polk Why Does the Sun Shine? Istanbul (ok, so it doesn't teach much but they like it) Mammal Edison Museum A Shooting Star is not a Star John Lee Supertaster In the Middle Possibly: New York City (for the landmarks, and they already love the song) Where Do They Make Balloons? (is this out anywhere yet? mp3? was it released on emusic yet?) Sleepwalkers (somewhat informative if not educational) No! Of course there are some songs like Meet James Ensor that have some historical figure mentioned, but aren't really educational themselves... Those might be ok if I need filler. Some tracks from McSweeney's (I don't know what) might be good but I don't know what they are yet! (such as Lincoln, Washington, and that Jefferson Guy). _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:33:08 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets tshirts Message-ID: <001501c0bc74$eadaa600$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> Tru Dat. The shirts kick ass. I wore mine to school today and while I did not receive any direct comments, I did hear one girl being to sing Saphire Bullets after looking directly at my shirt. I got a kick out of that. Anyone who has not ordered one yet, do so now! They're not even pricy! What are you waiting for; e-mail bryce today! JenkiJon ~"For the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world."~ Albert Camus ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:33 AM Subject: TMBG: sapphire bullets tshirts > Received mine yesterday! sweet! Well done man! Everyone, get one of these limited editions shirts, you'll be glad you did.. > > Mario ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:55:08 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Educational TMBG Songs Message-ID: <71.c20d919.27fb849c@aol.com> I would include "Lazy Head and Sleepy Bones" for a neat little lesson on how there is more than one way to say something :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:16:52 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Message-ID: Did I accidentally miss an e-mail explaining this month's Unlimited tracks? I'm a little lost without Flans's explanation of the tracks, and people seem to know what's going on more than I do, such as the fact that "Finished With Lies" is a version done with the Elegant Too. And also, perhaps this is stupid, but for some reason I just don't feel especially comfortable downloading all these No! tracks. It's actually NOT a question of morality, because I'm paying for it, but it's the same reason I didn't sneak around to find all my Christmas presents as a kid. I'd like some surprises. But at the same time, the album won't be out until (at least) September, and the Johns have deemed these okay to download, but still. So I guess my question is just if by some chance, anyone else is dealing with this. And what are the odds of different versions being on the album then these? Have the Johns said if they're done with this yet, or are these still demos? I'll definately get them if there will be something to compare and contrast to later. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:39:15 -0400 From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Message-ID: I know exactly what you mean... I am a little bummed that it seems like we will never really have any major surprises anymore. Remember what it was like when we got a brand new album of brand new songs (all at once)?? Those were the days... I like getting new stuff, but I agree that I would also like to be surprised again, with a whole album all at once. It's really disappointing that things like "She Thinks She's Edith Head" will be on the new album when we have been hearing it for soooo long. I'm sure we will have some surprises (at least that is what I keep telling myself), but it just isn't the same. Of course, I download them and listen to them anyway. Same reason that every time I see a show I peek at the setlist before they start playing, even though I tell myself not to do it. I just can't help myself. :) I also snuck around looking for my Christmas presents as a kid (of course my parents hid my presents much better than the children's album is hidden). Btw, you can see the explanations of tracks on the emusic site (there are little links next to each track, or you can search emusic for "They Might Be Giants" and get a list of all albums, which will include an April Unlimited album). _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:45:34 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Message-ID: <9c.d1b1186.27fb9e7e@aol.com> So I guess my question is just if by some chance, anyone else is dealing with this. And what are the odds of different versions being on the album then these? Have the Johns said if they're done with this yet, or are these still demos? I'll definately get them if there will be something to compare and contrast to later. > > I kinda doubt that the versions will be any different, but the No! cd will > include the flash animation done by the Chopping Block for each song, so > that's something. And hopefully they'll hold out at least a song or two as > a surprise for us diehards. Who knows, there may even be a hidden track. > Yes, it's kind of unfair that we Unlimited subscribers already have most of > the stuff on No! and the McSweeny's cd, but I chock it up to the price one > pays for having to have everything sooner than later. Plus, if not for > Unlimited, we wouldn't have "Clowntown" or "Monsters of Mud," which won't > be on No! And keep in mind that the Johns not only deemed these songs "ok > to download," they *want* us to :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:07:43 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: An Answer of Fact and a Probably Less Satisfying Response to Message-ID: <9adi1v$9t9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org a Question of Morality John Ferrer : > Did I accidentally miss an e-mail explaining this month's Unlimited tracks? It looks like the email didn't go out this month. But there is the same info that you'd normally find in such an email, here: http://www.emusic.com/albums/25447 > for some reason I just don't feel especially comfortable > downloading all these No! tracks. [GI Joe with Kung Fu Snip] > it's the same reason I didn't sneak around to find all my > Christmas presents as a kid. I'd like some surprises. That's just your superego talking. Now for the id's perspective... Personally, I prefer getting the smaller surprises every month. Look at it this way: putting off hearing it isn't going to make it any newer to you when you do hear it for the first time. The longer you wait, the less time you'll have to enjoy it before you shuffle off this mortal coil. There's no way to tell what the future holds, so I want mine now. Gimme gimme gimme! Instant gratification, woo hoo! Go id! Bryce IDONTWANNNAAAAAA! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:37:59 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: bathymetry Message-ID: <37.1307cd77.27fbaac7@aol.com> > I just picked up the new McSweeney's, and it's identified on there as > "Bathymetry for Two." It was called something else on TMBGU. On TMBG U it's "Down to the Bottom of the Sea" Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:03:04 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Message-ID: I think because Flans said somewhere that No will be out after the next rock album. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:19:35 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets tshirts Message-ID: <3ACA5A87.5E91EA7@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Aww... all I got was a single stare. If I was a female person I would have thought he was being "yucky" (10 bonus points to anyone who can tell me what that's a reference to). -scratch Jon wrote: > > Tru Dat. The shirts kick ass. I wore mine to school today and while I did > not receive any direct comments, I did hear one girl being to sing Saphire > Bullets after looking directly at my shirt. I got a kick out of that. > > Anyone who has not ordered one yet, do so now! They're not even pricy! > What are you waiting for; e-mail bryce today! > > JenkiJon > > ~"For the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened > myself to the gentle indifference of the world."~ Albert Camus > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: > Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:33 AM > Subject: TMBG: sapphire bullets tshirts > > > Received mine yesterday! sweet! Well done man! Everyone, get one of > these limited editions shirts, you'll be glad you did.. > > > > Mario ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:57:26 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: A Question of Fact and a Question of Morality Message-ID: <3ACA7176.50ADEE9A@fruhead.com> "Kristin ." wrote: > > I know exactly what you mean... I am a little bummed that it seems like we > will never really have any major surprises anymore. Remember what it was > like when we got a brand new album of brand new songs (all at once)?? Those > were the days... I like getting new stuff, but I agree that I would also but were we *ever* totally surprised? I mean, before John Henry came out, they had already performed the entire album at shows except for Subliminal, NyQuil Driver, Window, Stomp Box, and End of the Tour. And before Factory Showroom, we were prepared for everything except Metal Detector, I Can Hear You, and The Bells are Ringing, although Bells had appeared on DAS earlier that year, and I Can Year You had a small audience, I believe. Apollo 18 had many more unplayed tracks when it was released. but that's partly because it was released only 2 months after they resumed touring after a year off, and because there were many tracks they just didn't even attempt (like The Guitar) without a full band. it was also the last album they made that contained material from the Early Years (WDHYF and Space Suit) but there was something else different in 1992 - the internet as we know it was, well.... new... relatively speaking. not everyone had email accounts, let along web pages, or even web access. very few people did, so word didn't spread as quickly. if someone saw a show in England in February, 1992 where they played Narrow Your Eyes, for example, it's not likely that anyone in the States would even know of a song by that title until they saw a show... but now, we're here on the mailing list, with however many people there are on it, analysing their every move, picking apart every song the instant it gets played. sending around CDs of shows, discussing the new material, and so on. and this has been going on since the mid-90s, I think. I joined the list in 1995, and when FS came out, I found it, well... unsuprising. I had already heard most of the songs before I even saw a show in the summer of 1996. so even without emusic and mp3s, we're still going to be bombarded with information about new stuff... -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:12:58 -0400 From: Subject: TMBG: NYC: Headfone Follies 4 wks left! Message-ID: <98634667101@escape.com> Dear People-- There are only FOUR SATURDAY NIGHTS LEFT TO GO before HEADFONE FOLLIES closes at the end of April. It's been an amazing extended run, but this is really IT folks. What a remarkable 3 1/2 months we've had. Or will have had. HEADFONE FOLLIES uses high-tech and headphones to make performers do raw amazing things, to a throbbing synchronized musical backup. Or as HERE puts it: it's "Not just like an opera from Mars. It's like a really good opera from Mars." HEADFONE FOLLIES is now running EVERY SATURDAY in April, all at 10:30pm, at HERE, 6th Avenue between Spring and Broome, New York City. That's April 7, 14, 21 and 28. The FOLLIES is sort of a greatest-hits of 10 years worth of my headphone-driven pieces, which have been performed at Bang On A Can, Lincoln Center, in Eastern Europe, Amsterdam and Jerusalem, etc.--but only in bits and pieces, and, in the case of the centerpiece, HEADSET SEXTET, unfinished until now. Each week has a different cast, because each performer can do each part only ONCE. Over our 16 shows from January to April we've engaged some astonishingly great performers that I still can't believe I snagged--just a few, off the top of my head: Kate Valk, Penny Arcade, Syd Straw, Kyle deCamp, Tom Buckner, Eve Beglarian, more than half of the members of the great theater group Elevator Repair Service, Morgan Jenness, Elizabeth Zimmer, Robin Goldwasser, Jonathan Feinberg, Kitty Brazelton, Mary Birdsong, Steven Rattazzi, Jan Leslie Harding, Iris Rose, Hope Clark, Pamela Z, Cynthia Hopkins, Raquel Cion, Jordana Toback, Christen Clifford, Maria Striar, Jarboe, Joanna P. Adler and that's not even half of the list. They have ALL been great. Many of the people who have returned to see the show two and three times have told me they enjoy seeing just how different each performance really is. Information is at http://www.here.org ...but I'll post the specifics at the bottom. Note also that HERE has a very nice cafe, open both before and after the show. I wouldn't want you to have to miss it just because you didn't know. Thanks for reading. joshua fried Joshua@echonyc.comÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁhttp://www.echonyc.com/~joshua = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Somehow, you're on Joshua Fried's mailing list. Don't want to be? Just reply with a blank message and it will be taken care of, with sincere apologies. Want to know more? See http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = HERE ART CENTER presents HEADFONE FOLLIES for seven headphone-driven performers and taped musical accompaniment. Created and composed by Joshua Fried Extended by popular demand Saturdays * April 7, 14, 21, 28 * 10:30pm * $12 HERE Arts Center 145 6th Ave (Spring & Broome) Info & tickets: www.here.org * 212.647.0202 STARRING: 7 April * Movers & Shakers Amy Baker, Georgia Corner, Kyle deCamp, David Figueroa, Aaron Landsman, Sheridan Roberts, Vanessa Walters 14 April * Genre Benders -- Music Maniacs Eve Beglarian, Hope Clark, Jonathan Feinberg, Cynthia Hopkins, Ivan Other, Pamela Z, Elizabeth Zimmer 21 April * ERS members meet downtown All-stars Penny Arcade, Raquel Cion, John Collins, Kyle deCamp, Daphne Gaines, Katherine Profeta, Susie Sokol 28 April * Closing night Paul Boocock, Raquel Cion, Marissa Copeland, Cynthia Hopkins, Rohana Kenin, Aaron Landsman, Jordana Toback = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = In HEADPHONE-DRIVEN PERFORMANCE performers try to imitate vocal sounds that are played over headphones. The performers have never heard these sounds before, and yet they are asked to reproduce the input *as it happens*--with every word, pitch and expression accurate and *no lag time WHATEVER*. This last requirement makes the task quite impossible and the result resembles a strange, dramatic and mostly indecipherable new language--even though the source material is, for the most part, plain English. Here and there an intelligible word or phrase emerges. In some sections, simple movement directives are added, electronic signal tones cueing the performers to listen for instructions. To preserve the necessary element of surprise, each performer can execute a given role only once. Mock-up tapes are used for auditions, training and rehearsal. Headphone-driven performance is not an improvisation. The compositions are highly structured; and yet there is not--and cannot be--a written score. Most of the input material is speech, not song, and much of it is highly dramatic. This work is characterized by highly organized interplay between performers and musical accompaniment. The accompaniment and all of the headphone parts come from a single 8-channel digital tape. Headphone-driven performance focuses attention on the present moment--no one knows what will happen next, and the performers can't afford to look back. The audience shares in the very real sense of tension and danger. Raw emotions become abstracted and aestheticized; vocal behaviors happen that would otherwise simply be unobtainable. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = HERE ART CENTERÁÁÁÁÁÁwww.here.orgÁÁÁÁÁÁ212-647-0202 NYSCA + New York State Council on The Arts + State of the Arts = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = joshua@echonyc.comÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁhttp://www.echonyc.com/~joshua ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:26:08 -0500 From: "Jay G." Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Message-ID: <9adt81$m93$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org $25 is the cover price, so that's what you'd pay in a store. I definately wouldn't pay more than $25, not including shipping. So you'll pay for shipping but save on sales tax. "Kristin ." wrote in message news:F85xLDp7mvjkO22ZhCl000263c6@hotmail.com... > I have been looking all over for McSweeney's (trying to find websites, etc, > for the bookstores listed on mcsweeneys.net and everything). I found one > semi-local bookstore that claims to carry it, but they don't have it yet. > > But here's what I did find.. > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1420775866 > > Perhaps this is more expensive than it is in the stores (does anyone know?). > It doesn't matter to me, I just want my copy :) Either way, it's one > place to get it if you don't live in a big city... > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:29:41 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Telstar Message-ID: <3ACA7905.5E9D16E1@fruhead.com> John Ferrer wrote: > Flans originally wrote the song in high school for a class project, making > it technically the oldest TMBG song. So I sort of doubt it. However, I don't > know how much was changed for the album version. I'm guessing the sci-fi > sound effects and haunting vocals weren't part of the original, but then > again, we're talking about John Flansburgh, who is more likely to dull > things down for the album. The original might have had some dying puppy > sound effects too. actually, the song was the first song written after TMBG formed, or the first one they wrote together, or something. Flansburgh had this to say about it on tmbg.com's Q&A: "That song was written to incorporate a bunch of chords I had learned under the instruction of Jack DeSalvo, a guitarist I took lessons from in the early eighties. It was originally titled "I'll Remember 3rd Street" to reflect its jazzy origins, but once the recording was made with the spacey synth part its final title seemed more appropriate." I'm pretty sure the oldest song TMBG has, other than covers, is Cowtown, which Linnell wrote in the late 70s, but as far as I know, was never performed or recorded by The Mundanes (he may have written it after he left the band) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:45:19 -0400 From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Message-ID: You will only pay $25 if you buy it from this guy, plus $3 in shipping. (It's not a regular auction, he has 25 copies) I don't think that is too bad if the cover price is $25 :) Especially considering that I can't get the darn thing around here! >From: "Jay G." >Reply-To: "Jay G." >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:26:08 -0500 > >$25 is the cover price, so that's what you'd pay in a store. I definately >wouldn't pay more than $25, not including shipping. So you'll pay >for shipping but save on sales tax. > > >"Kristin ." wrote in message >news:F85xLDp7mvjkO22ZhCl000263c6@hotmail.com... > > I have been looking all over for McSweeney's (trying to find websites, >etc, > > for the bookstores listed on mcsweeneys.net and everything). I found >one > > semi-local bookstore that claims to carry it, but they don't have it >yet. > > > > But here's what I did find.. > > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1420775866 > > > > Perhaps this is more expensive than it is in the stores (does anyone >know?). > > It doesn't matter to me, I just want my copy :) Either way, it's one > > place to get it if you don't live in a big city... > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:01:55 -0400 From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Message-ID: AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! So sorry to frighten anyone who thunk me dead... :) I had to fight the little voices that told me to stay cloaked in lurkedness... In my inevitable periods of "I got too freakin far behind on reading all the posts" must have caused me to miss this. WHAT IS THIS McSweeney's thing, and HOW ON EARTH did I miss it?!?!?!? That will be all from me... Thank you for not throwing things at me... Augie "huh?" Wan -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Kristin . Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:45 PM To: Jay@tmbg.org; tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 You will only pay $25 if you buy it from this guy, plus $3 in shipping. (It's not a regular auction, he has 25 copies) I don't think that is too bad if the cover price is $25 :) Especially considering that I can't get the darn thing around here! >From: "Jay G." >Reply-To: "Jay G." >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:26:08 -0500 > >$25 is the cover price, so that's what you'd pay in a store. I definately >wouldn't pay more than $25, not including shipping. So you'll pay >for shipping but save on sales tax. > > >"Kristin ." wrote in message >news:F85xLDp7mvjkO22ZhCl000263c6@hotmail.com... > > I have been looking all over for McSweeney's (trying to find websites, >etc, > > for the bookstores listed on mcsweeneys.net and everything). I found >one > > semi-local bookstore that claims to carry it, but they don't have it >yet. > > > > But here's what I did find.. > > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1420775866 > > > > Perhaps this is more expensive than it is in the stores (does anyone >know?). > > It doesn't matter to me, I just want my copy :) Either way, it's one > > place to get it if you don't live in a big city... > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:26:51 -0500 From: Daniel A Kelley Subject: TMBG: check out this website! Message-ID: <20010403.212652.-411989.0.NormalLikeYou@juno.com> hey everyone, check this totally out! http://truemeaningoflife.com/wisdom.php?topid=16520&responses=2 later, daniel http://www.4sum5sum.com ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:11:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: Re: TMBG: April Unlimited Message-ID: <20010404031114.54444.qmail@web12105.mail.yahoo.com> <> WHEEEEEEE!!!! and I'll make short n' sweet coments that either disagree or agree *tee hee* <> Yee Gads! It reminded me of The Police playing music for a Flat TV comercial P.S. This was my first time hearing Finished With Lies, (and yet I've been listening to them gleefully for the past 8 years, have been to 3 concerts, managed to get all their albums, even hooked up with Napster when truly desperate *hangs head in utter shame*, and am finally subscribed to TMBGU(which I like better) and have been fully aware of this songs existence, just never got the chance to hear it *sigh*) <> BLOOGOOGOOGOOGOOGOOOOOOOG That Song Rocks!!!! So much fun!!! :D But not my personal fav of the month... <> EEEEEEKKKKKK!! You Are My Hero!!!!!!!! <> Dude, this song made me go crazy, I didn'a know whut 2 think <> "Solving E-problems for EEvrybody" 8`) <> OOK! A buddy of mine pointed out it'd be a great song to drink AKA (NyQuil) with ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH the MIDGETS, they're EVERYWHERE!!!! <> Personally, this is my fav. song of the month. I can almost see Linnell singing this to me (think Birdhouse vidio "SQUEEEEEEEL") as I drift of to La-La-Linnell land (the land of Z's) His son is SO lucky *picturing Linnell with Accordian in Hand, leaning over little Henry's crib... with FULL BAND BACKUP!!!!!!* j/k <> OHMYGOLLY! OHMYGOSH! I'm still recovering from the joys of last month, I have found Atheist Heaven! The Muppet level has shot through the roof!!! And t's loads more dependable than Napster (where I experience tons of Tranfer Errors *I gots a phone line modem*), not to mention 100% guilt free, and a lifetime supply of brains WOO HOO ===== Mysterio Gal "Sure," he says with a smile, "we know a lot more now and have the benefit of having made a tremendous amount of mistakes!" --Crichton commenting on future game programming mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:12:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Mysterio Gal Subject: TMBG: Unlimited Klutziness Message-ID: <20010404031252.53107.qmail@web12108.mail.yahoo.com> Sorry to those of you who received multiples of my last message, I get Klutzy when I'm excited ===== Mysterio Gal "Sure," he says with a smile, "we know a lot more now and have the benefit of having made a tremendous amount of mistakes!" --Crichton commenting on future game programming mr_realgal@yahoo.com Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:23:39 -0400 From: "Kristin ." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 Message-ID: Perhaps this generated TOO much publicity for the guy selling McSweeney's on ebay. He has bids for all the books now (some even more than $25 - up to $30). I'm not sure how he is going to handle it since he sends confirmation that you have won the bid as soon as you bid on it... And then I believe that people have overbid other "successful" bids as well. HRM. >From: "AugieWan" >Reply-To: "AugieWan" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:01:55 -0400 > >AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! > >So sorry to frighten anyone who thunk me dead... :) > >I had to fight the little voices that told me to stay cloaked in >lurkedness... In my inevitable periods of "I got too freakin far behind on >reading all the posts" must have caused me to miss this. > >WHAT IS THIS McSweeney's thing, and HOW ON EARTH did I miss it?!?!?!? > >That will be all from me... Thank you for not throwing things at me... > >Augie "huh?" Wan > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On >Behalf Of Kristin . >Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:45 PM >To: Jay@tmbg.org; tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 > > >You will only pay $25 if you buy it from this guy, plus $3 in shipping. >(It's not a regular auction, he has 25 copies) I don't think that is too >bad if the cover price is $25 :) Especially considering that I can't get >the darn thing around here! > > > >From: "Jay G." > >Reply-To: "Jay G." > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: TMBG: Re: McSweeney's #6 > >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:26:08 -0500 > > > >$25 is the cover price, so that's what you'd pay in a store. I definately > >wouldn't pay more than $25, not including shipping. So you'll pay > >for shipping but save on sales tax. > > > > > >"Kristin ." wrote in message > >news:F85xLDp7mvjkO22ZhCl000263c6@hotmail.com... > > > I have been looking all over for McSweeney's (trying to find websites, > >etc, > > > for the bookstores listed on mcsweeneys.net and everything). I found > >one > > > semi-local bookstore that claims to carry it, but they don't have it > >yet. > > > > > > But here's what I did find.. > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1420775866 > > > > > > Perhaps this is more expensive than it is in the stores (does anyone > >know?). > > > It doesn't matter to me, I just want my copy :) Either way, it's >one > > > place to get it if you don't live in a big city... > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > > > > > >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #40-3 *****************************