Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 2 Wednesday, 2 May 2001 Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Re:TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com TMBG: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably inaccurate setlist. TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably inaccurate setlis TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with an inaccurate setlist. Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with an inaccurate setlist. Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably inaccurate se Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably inaccurate se Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Message-ID: <200105010715.f417F0d79369@ussenterprise.ufp.org> *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ÁÁThis notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list ÁÁFollow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list ÁÁTo send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. ÁÁIMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT ÁÁWhen you send a message to the list you are sending ÁÁmessages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your ÁÁmessage is one that hundreds of people need to read. ÁÁDo not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not ÁÁsend messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold ÁÁprivate conversations in private e-mail. Sending ÁÁmessages that the list administrator deems off topic ÁÁwill result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites ÁÁThe unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:08:58 -0400 From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Message-ID: <002701c0d248$44b49ee0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> Salon.com mentions TMBG and the McSweeney's disc in the article "Real Life Rock Top 10" at http://www.salon.com/ent/col/marc/2001/05/01/marcus44/index.html. TMBG is number 10. Enjoy! Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:31:54 -0400 From: "Father Bingo" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Message-ID: <9cmkvm$3bm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Make Them Look Can someone explain the purpose of this article to me? I mean, is it a good thing that TMBG are mentioned in it? i'm mighty confused... "Colleen Anne McClanahan" wrote in message news:002701c0d248$44b49ee0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com... > Salon.com mentions TMBG and the McSweeney's disc in the article "Real Life > Rock Top 10" at > http://www.salon.com/ent/col/marc/2001/05/01/marcus44/index.html. TMBG is > number 10. > > Enjoy! > > Colleen Anne > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:21:45 -0400 From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Message-ID: <004e01c0d263$32233fa0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> | > Salon.com mentions TMBG and the McSweeney's disc in the article "Real Life | > Rock Top 10" at | > http://www.salon.com/ent/col/marc/2001/05/01/marcus44/index.html. TMBG is | > number 10. | Can someone explain the purpose of this article to me? I mean, is it a good | thing that TMBG are mentioned in it? i'm mighty confused... Honestly, I'm not sure myself. I just thought I'd share it with everyone. :) Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 14:01:25 -0400 From: Subject: Re:TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Message-ID: <0105019887.AA988740088@smtplink.sterl.com> In an attempt to figure out where this guy was coming from, i read all the other 9 commentaries in his Top 10, & have come to the conclusion that he doesn't want anyone to understand where he's coming from. Every item in his list left me wondering if he's being snidely approving, snidely disapproving, or just being a bitch. Their "concept is the word 'clever' "? And: "Aren't I adorable"? Yes, They are clever, and yes, They are adorable, but what the %$&# does that have to do with their music?? The rest of his little rambles are no better, either. I guess the lesson here is: Not everything that mentions TMBG is worth reading. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG and McSweeney's on Salon.com Author: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Date: 05/01/01 1:21 PM | > Salon.com mentions TMBG and the McSweeney's disc in the article "Real Life | > Rock Top 10" at | > http://www.salon.com/ent/col/marc/2001/05/01/marcus44/index.html. TMBG is | > number 10. | Can someone explain the purpose of this article to me? I mean, is it a good | thing that TMBG are mentioned in it? i'm mighty confused... Honestly, I'm not sure myself. I just thought I'd share it with everyone. :) Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 15:45:37 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably inaccurate Message-ID: <9cn3se$i2f$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org setlist. R O C K I N G I S F U N D A M E N T A L . ---- The They Might Be Giants band performed admirably. Supported by the Band of Dans, John Linnell and John Flansburgh took the stage and launched immediately into their instrumental piece "Drinkin'," followed by "The Ballad of Timothy McSweeney." We apologize if this is not the actual name of the song. We are still waiting for our copy of Issue 6 to arrive in the mail. The readings transpired under the careful supervision of John Hodgman, Former Professional Literary Agent. He observed the readings as a qualified authority, and verified his objectivity in accordance with the rules that govern such things. Arthur Bradford played the guitar as he read his contribution, "Rosalyn's Dog." This captivating tale proved an excellent beginning to the literary festivities. Celebrated cartoonist Chris Ware, of Chicago, presented a storyboard for a children's story about a frog. Although well illustrated, the story was rejected by the author's publishers. Mr. Flansburgh assisted him by setting up the overhead projector and changing the transparencies. Although the audience sympathized strongly with the protagonist, it was generally held that the story would not have been appropriate for children after all. When he had finished, M. Doughty played his "Frog and Banjo" song, taking a bit more artistic license than even he usually does. He then began another song, unrelated to McSweeney's. However, after a few bars he changed his mind and switched to a different song, the name of which escapes us. The different song was also unrelated to McSweeney's. Mark O'Donnell, identical twin and one of ten children, read his very short screenplay "Harsh Truths." His narration included some nice voice characterizations. Afterwards, They Might Be Giants played "Truth in Your Words." Unfortunately, Samantha Hunt was not present to read her "Bathymetry" piece. However, They Might Be Giants performed their corresponding song "Down to the Bottom of the Sea" anyway. Sean Wilsey read his piece about the Texas town of Marfa. His narrative was accompanied by a slide presentation. Neal Pollack concluded the literary portion of the evening with three very entertaining and surprising poems. We recommend his Anthology of American Literature very highly. M. Doughty returned to the stage after the readings were complete, to perform more of his music. He was rocking on the left side. And, did we mention, word? The audience applauded at all the appropriate moments. After a brief intermission and slide presentation, They Might Be Giants returned to the stage and performed these songs: 1. "Robot Parade" (Adult Version) 2. "James K. Polk" 3. "Cyclops Rock" 4. "Fingertips" 5. "I've Got a Fang" 6. "Drink" 7. "Women and Men" 8. "Older" 9. "Your Mom's Alright" 10. "Spider" 11. "She's Actual Size" 12. "Particle Man" 13. "She's an Angel" 14. "Doctor Worm" 15. "New York City" We particularly enjoyed "Your Mom's Alright," and we found this performance of "Fingertips" to be their best to date. Mr. Linnell seemed about 70% recovered from his recent illness. His vocal range was not as broad as usual, but the quality of his singing was as excellent as we have come to expect. Overall, the music and the readings taken together proved to be more than the sum of their parts. It was a magical night. _________ Thank you for reading this, now go buy McSweeney's Issue Six. You won't regret it. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 19:24:53 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably Message-ID: <010401c0d295$edd9ae00$e543c7d0@tdk> inaccurate setlist. I believe you missed The Guitar (following Spider) and Edith Head (the 'quiet version'). -Mike > 1. "Robot Parade" (Adult Version) > 2. "James K. Polk" > 3. "Cyclops Rock" > 4. "Fingertips" > 5. "I've Got a Fang" > 6. "Drink" > 7. "Women and Men" > 8. "Older" > 9. "Your Mom's Alright" > 10. "Spider" > 11. "She's Actual Size" > 12. "Particle Man" > 13. "She's an Angel" > 14. "Doctor Worm" > 15. "New York City" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 19:41:02 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with an inaccurate Message-ID: <9cnhlr$vst$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org setlist. The Demonic Kangaroo : > I believe you missed The Guitar (following Spider) > and Edith Head (the 'quiet version'). Grazie, signore Canguro. Right-a you are. It's-a been a long day. Bryccio ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:25:47 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with an inaccurate Message-ID: <25.14bd0940.2820bc1b@aol.com> setlist. I have to say the show was good over all. Mike was cool and bolted up the stairs and got the table by the railing. I liked hearing everyone who did play and who read. The story about the lonely frog was a little disturbing. Can't quite figure out why he got rejected. There were these pig sedatives and other oddities downstairs they were selling, along with TMBG shirts and videos. Was there any reason for the, the jaws with teeth, and baby pigs? Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 02:10:24 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably Message-ID: inaccurate setlist. [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:23:48 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A review of the McSweeney's show with a probably Message-ID: <012b01c0d2ae$ec85ad60$e543c7d0@tdk> inaccurate setlist. Yeah, They just played it very quietly, except for the intrumental parts. I heard they had done it once before at a recent show. -Mike What's the quiet version? I mean, I'm assuming it's quieter, but is it a new version of the song or was it just something they did for fun? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #41-2 *****************************