Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 20 Thursday, 24 May 2001 Topics: TMBG: Songs on the new album... TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Re: TMBG: Song definately on the new TMBG album... TMBG: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Re: TMBG: Songs on the new album... Re: TMBG: Song definately on the new TMBG album... TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Re: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero TMBG: songs on new album Re: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Re: TMBG: SenSurround revisited Re: TMBG: SenSurround revisited Re: TMBG: songs on new album Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 02:50:32 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: Songs on the new album... Message-ID: The samplers say something like the following: Sampler #1 (received in March or April): Boss of Me (Malcolm in the Middle soundtrack) Mr. Xcitement & I've Got a Fang (from the upcoming album!) Sampler #2 (received yesterday): Bangs (Available on McSweeny's) Wicked Little Critta & Your Mom's Alright (from the upcoming album in stores Aug 15th) Theme from the Oblongs (from The Oblongs) The theme is only 20 seconds, thought there'd be a full-song, but nope. So, we can elimiate that...probably... I know there are other sources you can get info from on the tracklisting, I just thought I'd tell everyone what radio is being told: that "I've Got a Fang," "Mr. Xcitement," "Wicked Little Critta," & "Your Mom's Alright" are on the new album. Record companies, by the by, tend not to deceive radio, its usually considered a bad practice to do so, though I'm not procluding any track that may be on the next album, I can tell you these 4 are definates* from one of the best sources available. --Jason Glastetter http://www.mp3.com/poingly *not a 100% guarantee, because record companies are human and have messed up. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:49:49 -0700 From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Message-ID: Wierd commercials. Pizza Hut is dumb if they thought they could do that unnoticed.... Its cool though. It doesnt really sound like the original song though. I wonder if its altered or redone by a TMBG sounding guy. Erich > Someone from alt.music.tmbg posted two of the commercials here: > http://www.spoot.f9.co.uk/tmbgadverts/ > > > > > "Bongo" wrote in message > news:3B09BE35.990A516A@pacificnet.net... > > > > Father Bingo wrote: > > > > > Apparently there's a Pizza Hut television commercial that's using a > > song > > > that sounds surprisingly similar to TMBG's "Twisting." If it's > > anything like > > > Tom Waits vs. Frito Lay (the junk food company had a commercial using > > a song > > > that sounded a lot like Wait's "Step Right Up" but not as performed by > > him, > > > so he sued Frito Lay and won $3.5 million) then our favorite Twin > > Quasars of > > > Rock could be appearing in a court near you. Says Operator Dot in a > > public > > > post to a.m.tmbg, "Management already knows about it, and we are > > looking > > > into it." > > > > Are they still playing the commercial? I gotta hear it. I'd also love > > to see > > the Waits inspired Fritos commercial. > > > > -B O N G O > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:56:33 -0700 From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: Re: TMBG: Song definately on the new TMBG album... Message-ID: >Other possibilities: >Boss of Me (on first sampler, MITM Soundtrack) >Bangs (on 2nd sampler, McSweeney's #6) >There to the Oblongs (on 2nd sampler, Oblongs) >"Bangs" is going to be on there, according to theymightbegiants.com. I sort >of doubt that the other two will be on there, although I wouldn't mind it if >they were. Im glad you think that cause many have whined about the possibility of Boss bieng on the new album but thats is so not uncommon for a soundtrack song to be on bands new album, if someone happens by Mink Car at the local music store and Boss of Me catches there eye then hey Kaching! Another CD sold for the Johns. >As for "Mr. >Xcitement" and "Your Mom's Alright" both being on there, that would be >pretty weird. What, is Doughty now an official member of the band? I hope your joking cause thats hardly the truth. Just cause no one else (really) has collaborated on an album with TMBG doesnt mean they cant ever do it. I for one think its rad. Lotsa bands have collaboarations with other artist on albums, granted rap artists do it a TON more but still its nothing out of the ordinary. How else would these songs get released? EP I suppose but eh, what for? Dont be surprised if we see one of them being a single and a video. I for one with that would be both tubular and narley. Doughty and the Johns in a video together??? yeeeeessss. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:10:40 -0700 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Message-ID: Has anyone inquired with Operator Dot or any other official TMBG source on this? I feel quite certain that Pizza Hut would NEVER use part of a published, copyrighted song without getting permission and probably even paying royalties. If the Johns and/or their record label (Electra on this one?) don't know about this, I'd eat my hat. I get to pick the hat. PZ > > >Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:29:00 -0500 (EST) >From: Ryan Staib >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut >Message-ID: > >ÁÁUm, are those two clips on that site the actual ads? If so, the >song doesn't just *sound* like Twisting, it *is* Twisting. It's sped up, >with the vocals down a little bit, but it's definately the last 10 or so >seconds of the song. > >RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:16:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG vs. Pizza Hut Message-ID: > Has anyone inquired with Operator Dot or any other official TMBG > source on this? Operator Dot said on the newsgroup that management has been contacted, is aware of the situation, and is deciding what the next step will be. -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:19:43 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on the new album... Message-ID: Jason Glastetter: >Sampler #1 (received in March or April): >Boss of Me (Malcolm in the Middle soundtrack) >Mr. Xcitement & I've Got a Fang (from the upcoming album!) > >Sampler #2 (received yesterday): >Bangs (Available on McSweeny's) >Wicked Little Critta & Your Mom's Alright (from the upcoming album in >stores Aug 15th) >Theme from the Oblongs (from The Oblongs) I suppose both "Your Mom's Alright" and "Mr. Xcitement" WILL be on there, then. I don't have a problem with that, but it's kind of strange. >The theme is only 20 seconds, thought there'd be a full-song, but nope. >So, we can elimiate that...probably... You never can tell with TMBG... >I know there are other sources you can get info from on the tracklisting, >I just thought I'd tell everyone what radio is being told: that "I've Got >a Fang," "Mr. Xcitement," "Wicked Little Critta," & "Your Mom's Alright" >are on the new album. Combined with the information at theymightbegiants.com, I guess these songs are all definites: Bangs I've Got A Fang Cyclops Rock Finished With Lies It's So Loud In Here Yeh Yeh Another First Kiss My Man She Thinks She's Edith Head Older (yes, again) Wicked Little Critta Mr. Xcitement Your Mom's Alright Other possibilities are: Thunderbird (Flans has said that this would "probably" show up on the next album.) Hovering Sombero (There was talk of the Johns having recorded this for the album back in 1999 (the recording was back in 1999, I mean, not the album).) Drink Mink Car (It has the same title as the album, anyway.) Boss Of Me (less likely than the others, though, since it's already been released) I seem to recall reading that "Working Undercover For The Man," "Rest Awhile," and "On The Drag" were all slated for release on the next album, but this was BEFORE the Working Undercover EP, so there's a good chance that we won't see all of these on there. (That would be half of the EP, after all.) I do wonder if we'll be getting "It's Not A Game," which was supposed to be on the EP, but ended up not being replaced with "On The Drag." Anyway, that's thirteen definites, and at least four strong possibilities. I'm certainly hoping that this album will end up having a number of tracks closer to John Henry than to Factory Showroom, although it's not definite. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:26:04 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Song definately on the new TMBG album... Message-ID: Erich: > >"Bangs" is going to be on there, according to theymightbegiants.com. I >sort > >of doubt that the other two will be on there, although I wouldn't mind it >if > >they were. > >Im glad you think that cause many have whined about the possibility of Boss >bieng on the new album but thats is so not uncommon for a soundtrack song >to >be on bands new album, if someone happens by Mink Car at the local music >store and Boss of Me catches there eye then hey Kaching! Another CD sold >for >the Johns. That's true, and it might be a good reason for "Boss Of Me" to be on there. Then again, that could deter TMBG fans from buying the "Malcolm in the Middle" soundtrack, since it would leave no exclusive TMBG releases on there. (I'm not planning on buying it anyway, but I wouldn't doubt that some people here bought it JUST for "Boss Of Me.") > >As for "Mr. > >Xcitement" and "Your Mom's Alright" both being on there, that would be > >pretty weird. What, is Doughty now an official member of the band? > >I hope your joking cause thats hardly the truth. Just cause no one else >(really) has collaborated on an album with TMBG doesnt mean they cant ever >do it. I for one think its rad. Lotsa bands have collaboarations with other >artist on albums, granted rap artists do it a TON more but still its >nothing >out of the ordinary. I just think it's kind of weird. It's not like the whole album is a TMBG/Doughty collaboration, but they've never had a guest artist perform two songs on an album before. (Then again, they've also never had a real title track, and Mink Car looks like it might have one, so maybe it's just new stuff all around for this album.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:07:26 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:13:31 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Message-ID: <104.3cb9da7.283d9e1b@aol.com> I like them both. I just wish we'd finally get an album version of Sensurround. It's such a cool song... I know Linnell said a while back in a webchat that he'd like to 'revisit" it... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:14:36 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Message-ID: John Ferrer: >Just to check around, am I the only one who really likes these songs? No. I do, and I'm sure many other people do. >I didn't ever even stop to think that there might be a chance at them >not >being on the album, because I think they very well might be my two > >favorite songs, and it's just dawning on me that I haven't heard >anybody >else express love for either of them. I have, but most of it was expressed some time ago. I don't think it's so much a question of these songs not being good as it is that they've been out of the public eye. As far as I know, "Thunderbird" hasn't been played live in a LONG time. A new version of "Hovering Sombrero" was on Dial-A-Song a few months ago, but it was already a fairly old song by then. I think there's a good chance that one or both of them will be on Mink Car, but they really haven't been publicized. Perhaps the Johns don't consider them to be their best material. It does seem kind of odd that they'd be promoting novelty songs like "Wicked Little Critta" and "I've Got A Fang" (not that I don't like these songs, but they hardly sound like they're going to be the band's next hits) over more fully-developed material like "Thunderbird" and "Hovering Sombrero," but there you go. >Also, Linnell distinctly said Thunderbird would be on the album when I >saw >Them in concert back in May, if that changes anything. Maybe? >Please? No? >Argh. Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't. They sometimes change their minds about these things. Still, I'd say it's a good sign. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:07:26 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Thunderbird and Sombrero Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:18:53 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: SenSurround revisited Message-ID: EmarZero: >I just wish we'd finally get an album version of Sensurround. It's such a >cool song... I know Linnell said a while back in a webchat that he'd like >to >'revisit" it... That might be cool. (In fact, it almost certainly WOULD be cool.) That song DOES already have two versions, though, so maybe it's better that, for the present, they focus on releasing stuff we HAVEN'T heard. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:22:41 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: SenSurround revisited Message-ID: In a message dated 5/23/01 8:19:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > That might be cool. (In fact, it almost certainly WOULD be cool.) That > song DOES already have two versions, though, so maybe it's better that, for > Sensurround! The song so nice, they recorded it THRICE! c'mon... it works, and you know it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #41-20 ******************************