Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 41, Number 6 Sunday, 6 May 2001 Topics: TMBG: Another First Kiss TMBG: Cleveland show on 5/02/01 -- Opened by Muckafurgason TMBG: Re: Cleveland show on 5/02/01 -- Opened by Muckafurgason -- Correction TMBG: Re: Another First Kiss Re: TMBG: Another First Kiss RE: TMBG: Another First Kiss Re: TMBG: Another First Kiss TMBG: mike doughty Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 10:50:12 EDT From: Pahteeh@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Another First Kiss Message-ID: <6a.dd28f23.28256d25@aol.com> Wow!! This version of Another First Kiss sounds nothing like the live one I've heard! I love them both!! Just a thought, doesn't it kinda remind you of Weird Al? Flans sounds just like Weird Al in the song "Those were the good old days." Anyone agree? Disagree? ok well just thought i'd mention it ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 13:07:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show on 5/02/01 -- Opened by Muckafurgason Message-ID: I've been lurking on this list for a long time, but I don't write in unless I want something, so: Did anyone get a bootleg of the May 2nd Cleveland show at the Odeon? The opening act, Muckafurgason, completely took me by surprise. To call these boys "the best opening act I've ever seen in my life" would be doing them a great disservice. These guys are as worthy of opening-act status as a lion is worthy of ordering from McDonald's. For those of you who weren't there, or who like listening to strangers describe their musical preferences, I'll try to explain my impression of them like this: the band consists of three guys who swap intruments after each and every song. Their lyrics remind me of the kinds of things I hear from both TMBG and Sifl & Olly. In other words, they cracked me up and also rocked out pretty well. One example sticks in my mind: they performed a musical skit showing two guys rolling up to a fast food drive-thru and placing an order. I was pretty excited right there because, hey, how often do you see that at a live show? But it was the little things they did, like saying that three burgers cost 5 bucks (or so), and that two burgers cost 20 cents. After that, they busted into a rap (which I later discovered was called "Lunch") featuring the lingustic stylings of "M.C. Spell." I can't remember the words, but it seemed like they were making everything up on the spot and having a lot of fun, too. Anyway, if anybody's got a bootleg of the Muckafurgason, the opening act on that night, let me know. I'd like to get my hands on it. Joe P.S. I found a few of their songs on Napster, but they seemed a little flat compared to the live show. That's why I want to see if anyone's got a bootleg. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 13:25:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: Cleveland show on 5/02/01 -- Opened by Muckafurgason -- Message-ID: Correction > Did anyone get a bootleg of the May 2nd Cleveland show at the Odeon? Whoops. I meant to say "Friday, May 4th". Also, while I'm thinking about it, I noticed at the show that John F. introduced a few songs as coming off of Mink Car. These were (if my memory's correct) Drink, Cyclops Rock, I've Got a Fang, and probably one other that I can't remember right now. So, it looks like we will already have all of Mink Car when it comes out. I, for one, am a little sad about this. I always like getting a new album and hearing things I haven't heard before. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 13:11:08 -0700 From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Re: Another First Kiss Message-ID: I was thinking the very same thing. Flans sounds like Al in Mink Car too. its funky. Wouldnt it be wierd if this was released as a single and they made this nice video for it with flans in black and white staring into the camera looking all serious then looking away say out of a window with the rain pouring down and behind him just out of focus a beatiful woman is sleeping. It would be all 80's and stuff. But then maybe they could have this serious song with a funny video....Ha. Erich > Wow!! This version of Another First Kiss sounds nothing like the live one I've heard! I love them both!! Just a thought, doesn't it kinda remind you of Weird Al? Flans sounds just like Weird Al in the song "Those were the good old days." Anyone agree? Disagree? ok well just thought i'd mention it > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 16:35:58 EDT From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Another First Kiss Message-ID: <41.b1ed699.2825be2e@aol.com> Wow, I wasn't going to say anything but I can't hold it in anymore. What the HELL is with this First Kiss? Am I the only one that thinks its complete garbage? Not only that its really bad, but its CONFUSING. Is it a joke? Is it a parody? Why would they do this? First Kiss was never one of my favorite songs, though Ive been liking it more and more, but now....good god. Its so....fake...The music sounds like some radio ballad that plays in a McDonalds that would make me puke, except its FLANSBURGH singing it. What do I do? I have no idea how to react to this song, except with shock and anger. I thought it was cool that Adam S. was producing them, but if this is his doing, then my GOD. What if they did this to another cool song of theirs, like, Cage and Aquarium or something? Im not sure if my point is getting across. I just really can not comprehend this at ALL. Mostly I dont know if I should take it seriously or not. Its dripping sentiment but in this disgusting way... Im not saying TMBG shouldnt be sentimental. I love when they show some human emotions....like flansburghs apollo 18 songs, or John Henry, etc ... They just never did it in this OBVIOUS tug at your heart strings way...They dug deeper than that and captured something without telling you exactly what it is.....Im listening to Another First Kiss now and its just...so....bad. Its funny they added "Another" to it because its ANOTHER version of the song. So its like ... Another "First Kiss". Ok nevermind. This is the only song of theirs (ONLY) that makes me embarrassed to be a fan....Everyone I know knows me as a huge tmbg fan, if this song gets out I'll be ruined. Well on another note, I love Mink Car a lot. All McGyver On It, is pretty cool.... It sounds a lot like a weird al song B-52s style parody song, Mr. Popeil... What in gods name is Tigerella? Linnell has really gone insane. I dont know if this is good or not....I dont mind it as a dial a song cause thats their forum to do stuff like that (sometimes my favorite stuff) but lately they seem to be showcasing these things more (I cant believe Fang is on the new album, i was 100% sure when i heard it on das thats the only place it would be...) Im a bit perturbed by the Crypt.... I love that they put They Might Be Giants 85 on it but the quality isnt as good as I thought it would be... Also its kind of weird that the crypt has mp3s that anyone could probably get from TDKs site (maybe better quality but...still)...you know what I mean. Also the Linnell Gets the Flu show is a very odd choice for a concert. Instead of that they should just have like the full 1985 demo album up. Yeah. The show is cool and all but its just...so many messups and its sometimes unpleasant to listen to cause I feel bad for Linnell. Wow this is the only time Ive complained about tmbg unlimited. Ive really loved it every month but Another First Kiss just made me explode. I apologize. -Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 20:18:03 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another First Kiss Message-ID: <9d25d3$1lpa$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I always thought First Kiss was a little awkward, musically. Another First Kiss is so much more polished; I like it a lot better, especially the chorus. I think the new arrangement is a better fit with the lyrics, too. To me, the original evokes the exuberance of a (truly) first kiss, its joyful energy driven by a release of tension. The new arrangement better characterizes the stable contentment of a long-term relationship, in which the partners are more secure. Besides, slow is the new fast. :) Bryce To kiss you a hundred times. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 00:34:02 -0500 From: Daniel A Kelley Subject: TMBG: mike doughty Message-ID: <20010506.003403.-220293.0.NormalLikeYou@juno.com> hey everyone, this isn't fully TMBG-related, but it kinda is... or it'd at least interest a lot of people on the list... i wanted to tell you all that i saw mike doughty tonight. he played a solo acoustic thing at nashville's riverstages festival (which is basically a huge hippie fest, but it's been very entertaining - both the bands and crowd-watching!)... he did a lot of soul coughing tunes, and some of his solo stuff, mixed in with various segments of the best pop of our day (britney spears, backstreet boys, etc.). he also "took requests", which basically means when everyone screamed a song they wanted him to play, he'd play it if it was next on his set list... my friend and i were shouting for "your mom's alright", but he laughed at us and said "i'd need a lot more for that - see, this is all i have, just this - it's not that much" (while holding up his guitar)... oh well ;-) we then figured "mr. xcitement" was out of the question. he was definitely one of the most entertaining performers i've ever seen! i recorded it with a minidisc recorder, and it sounds really good. however, during the next few days, i'm going to be really busy (with exams and work and what not), but i might be able to squeeze in an hour or so and put the show into mp3 and upload it somewhere, if any of you are interested... so please let me know if there's an interest out there, otherwise i won't bother, and will just keep the hilarity to myself! later, daniel ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #41-6 *****************************