Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 10 Sunday, 10 June 2001 Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassadorship TMBG: Gained respect for TMBG TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG:I've lost respect for TMBG TMBG: Giants in the UK TMBG: Mondegreens Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 TMBG: I'm happy... Re: TMBG: I'm your boyfriend now Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG: Top Ten. TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 01:38:53 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassadorship Message-ID: <9fsjsh$1gb4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I haven't posted in six months at least, and I've been unable to check the list in a month or so, but I am so mad I missed my chance to become Ambassador to Utah. I would therefore like to pronounce myself TMBG Ambassador to the People's Republic of Utah, the legitimate yet disenfranchised government of the Behive State and announce my intention to forcibly remove Ms. Jennifer Russell-Fenus from the post that rightfully belongs to me. I invite all to join the Revolution and support my cause! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 03:15:30 -0500 From: TOM J ACQUISTO Subject: TMBG: Gained respect for TMBG Message-ID: <20010609.031531.-839315.2.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> In response to the person who lost respect for tmbg because they didn't want to give your lame ass (the ass crazy enough to chase their car) an autograph, I must say that I would do the same thing in their position. Why do you even want an autograph?? Why are scribbles on a piece of paper so important, and how could you even consider it more important than the music they produce. I personally have more respect for them after reading what happened. If they want to do you a favor like taking the time to draw out those elaborate face and antler autographs then that's their choice--not their responsibility. Sometimes they do. You probably don't give change to every bum you see on the corner,every time. Especially if their in your face and personal car window. nick ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 08:17:23 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <11e.ee3db.28536dd4@aol.com> Wow, I expect to hear the "sell out" label tossed around on punk lists where there are a bunch of impressionable teenagers, but I'd figured this list would be one where it would be escapable. Some people never grow comfortable with giving autographs. Never. The fact that they were humorous with you at least gives you a funny story to tell, which will last far longer than a scribble from a sharpie. Well, maybe not. But hey, I was raised by Hallmark cards. Sentimentality is my life. george p.s. I love every one of you. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:15:06 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <3B223D7A.AC75EDC4@uswest.net> I agree....No one owes you an autograph. Very similar were all those whiny Beatle fans back in the 60s who thought they were being ignored by the band...wouldn't give autographs. Just because you buy their music, doesn't give you shares of the band. The only dividend you should expect is good music. Anything else is a nice perk. I once saw Jason Robards in the Rochester airport. He was standing there alone. I didn't want to harass him because he probably didn't need it. We just stared at each other for about 10 seconds. Now I kinda wish I did ask for an autograph, since he's passed on.. Call Them a 'sell-out' when They start hocking Diet Coke or granola bars... 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan TMBG Ambassador to MN Instaboy@aol.com wrote: > Wow, I expect to hear the "sell out" label tossed around on punk lists where there are a bunch of impressionable teenagers, but I'd figured this list would be one where it would be escapable. > > Some people never grow comfortable with giving autographs. Never. The fact that they were humorous with you at least gives you a funny story to tell, which will last far longer than a scribble from a sharpie. > > Well, maybe not. But hey, I was raised by Hallmark cards. Sentimentality is my life. > > george > > p.s. I love every one of you. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 15:34:00 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG:I've lost respect for TMBG Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:19:01 +0100 From: "Al" Subject: TMBG: Giants in the UK Message-ID: <000e01c0f108$b0bd4400$414d893e@005282020097> Really excited........... Can't wait.............. Must seeee. These are the word spilling out of my mind. Oh and.... At last. What I personally would have thought would be fun was if they did one of the UK festivals, but thats just my opinion. AL P.s. The mcsweeneys I orderd was from the mcsweeneys website direct. Hmmph ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 13:23:40 -0400 From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: Mondegreens Message-ID: I just updated my TMBG mondegreen page for your viewing enjoyment! What's a mondegreen, you ask? Well, head on over to http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html to find out! Amy :) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:12:00 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <33.163a8df2.2853c0f0@aol.com> I also notice that a lot of bands are more reluctant to autograph things these days because they fear people will just turn around and sell it on eBay... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:35:23 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: I'm happy... Message-ID: ...and I'll tell you why. First, Flans' email said they'd spend the end of August in the Southwest. I eagerly await a list of dates and locations - maybe I'll actually get to see them again. :) Second, I absolutely love this month's installment of TMBG Unlimited. The live shows are nice, but they're not the most important thing in my book. The new material provided this month is absolutely amazing. 'My Man' is an incredible song, and has been stuck in my head night and day since I first heard it. The new version of 'Man, It's So Loud in Here' is absolutely perfect. :) 'Yeah! Yeah!' is a catchy little tune. 'I'm Your Boyfriend Now' is hillarious... They never cease to amaze me. Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 20:17:30 -0400 From: "volcana!" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm your boyfriend now Message-ID: <02c001c0f142$be5745e0$9ffa3ad0@bdi330> > "well the clock's heart it hangs inside its open chest > with hands stretched towards the calendar hanging itself" - Bright Eyes i'm sorry, sir, but i really must inform you that conor oberst or any mention thereof is just Not Allowed within the same message as john and john. thank you, and have a lovely day. -mandy (not at home) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:26:06 +0100 From: David Poppers Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <3B224E1D.4AD23445@earthlink.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org ÁÁErr, I'm pretty sure TMBG have already "hocked" Coca-Cola on the radio. Not Diet Coke, though- so I guess they're still in the clear with you, hm? Who wants to wear my sandals stained with Coca-Cola? Pi does. Pi does. James & Kimberly Mohan wrote: > Call Them a 'sell-out' when They start hocking Diet Coke or granola bars... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 21:16:25 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <3B22D879.CAC8E7AC@uswest.net> I've seen that happen.... yeah, but who's gonna buy it? Not I, for one. Instaboy@aol.com wrote: > I also notice that a lot of bands are more reluctant to autograph things these days because they fear people will just turn around and sell it on eBay... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:15:53 -0400 From: "Kate Sith" Subject: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: Hey, folks. I was just wondering what y'all would list as the top ten saddest TMBG songs. I thought this would be an interesting question to pose, considering how different some people's interps can be. -Kate Sith TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan ------------------------------------------------------------ "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." -E. Robertson "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." -J. Linnell _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 21:20:29 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <3B22D96D.9816C857@uswest.net> That's true...They did that Coke spot.... so that means THEY'VE SOLD OUT! HOW COULD THEY?!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!! I'LL NEVER BUY....wha? I can download it off Napster? Cool. 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan TMBG Ambassador to MN David Poppers wrote: > Err, I'm pretty sure TMBG have already "hocked" Coca-Cola on the radio. > Not Diet Coke, though- so I guess they're still in the clear with you, hm? > > Who wants to wear my sandals stained with Coca-Cola? > > Pi does. Pi does. > > James & Kimberly Mohan wrote: > > > Call Them a 'sell-out' when They start hocking Diet Coke or granola bars... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:34:19 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <3B22EABB.CD12D8E6@fruhead.com> Kate Sith wrote: > Hey, folks. I was just wondering what y'all would list as the top ten > saddest TMBG songs. I thought this would be an interesting question to > pose, considering how different some people's interps can be. hmmm. a very interesting question. I think in a lot of these songs, the sadness is in the lyrics, but sometimes the lyrics don't convey it nearly as well as the music does. but by the same token, I think the lyrics of a song like Don't Let's Start are kind of sad, but the music is *way* too upbeat to even come close to being considered here. 10. Hide Away Folk Family 9. Road Movie to Berlin 8. If I Wasn't Shy 7. Piece of Dirt 6. Unforgotten 5. Your Own Worst Enemy 4. Narrow Your Eyes 3. I Blame You 2. They'll Need a Crane 1. The End of the Tour now there's a mix tape that'll get everyone depressed real fast. :) > "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep > Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." > -E. Robertson was writing "E." really that much easier then writing "Ed?" :) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:35:18 -0400 From: "Kate Larson" Subject: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:44:04 -0400 From: "Kate Sith" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: >From: lawrence solomon >Reply-To: lawrence solomon >CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. >Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:34:19 -0400 >hmmm. a very interesting question. I think in a lot of these songs, the >sadness is in the lyrics, but sometimes the lyrics don't convey it nearly >as >well as the music does. but by the same token, I think the lyrics of a >song >like Don't Let's Start are kind of sad, but the music is *way* too upbeat >to >even come close to being considered here. > Hm, good point. ^^ I really like that, though, when the sad lyrics go with the upbeat music. BNL does that a lot, must be one of the many things they picked up from TMBG. >10. Hide Away Folk Family >9. Road Movie to Berlin >8. If I Wasn't Shy >7. Piece of Dirt >6. Unforgotten >5. Your Own Worst Enemy >4. Narrow Your Eyes >3. I Blame You >2. They'll Need a Crane >1. The End of the Tour > >now there's a mix tape that'll get everyone depressed real fast. :) > Heh, oddly enough, the sad ones are what make me feel better when I'm depressed. That's partly why I started this thread, I needed some good sad songs to listen to. > > "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep > > Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." > > -E. Robertson > >was writing "E." really that much easier then writing "Ed?" :) Naw, but it does look more professional or official that way...or something... ^_~ -Kate Sith TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan ------------------------------------------------------------ "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." -E. Robertson "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." -J. Linnell _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:33:54 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <9fv0u8$2490$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0F13C.A5C421C0 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I don't agree. Sorry. They work hard doing what they do and $25 isn't = that bad for a shirt. It's not like you're going to make an entire = wardrobe out of TMBG t-shirts. That would be a real problem. Kate Larson wrote in message = news:F65vyGp9dnjUoisAY5i0001354e@hotmail.com... I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing respect = for TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, yes = I do understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To be = honest, I was happy that I actually got a response back from Flansburgh. = Ok, so maybe I just wanted to complain a bit. And maybe "losing respect" = was an exxageration of my emotions. But still, the real problem here is = that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's why I was so bitter to = start with. Come on now, don't any of you agree???=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0F13C.A5C421C0 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
I don't agree.  = Sorry.  They work=20 hard doing what they do and $25 isn't that bad for a shirt.  It's = not like=20 you're going to make an entire wardrobe out of TMBG t-shirts.  That = would=20 be a real problem.
Kate Larson <klarson92@hotmail.com> = wrote in=20 message news:F65vyGp9dnjUoi= sAY5i0001354e@hotmail.com...
I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing = respect for=20 TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, yes I = do=20 understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To be = honest, I was=20 happy that I actually got a response back from Flansburgh. Ok, so = maybe I just=20 wanted to complain a bit. And maybe "losing respect" was an = exxageration of my=20 emotions. But still, the real problem here is that = they were=20 charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's why I was so bitter to start with. = Come on=20 now, don't any of you agree???

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0F13C.A5C421C0-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-10 ******************************