Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 11 Monday, 11 June 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT TMBG: Re: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT TMBG: Rants and sigs... Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 TMBG: Re: top ten sad songs TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-10 Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT TMBG: Dial-A-Song June 10 Re: TMBG: Let's play "Find A Scapegoat!" Re: TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts, Legality of Re: TMBG: 10 Things Every TMBG Fan Should Know Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Re: TMBG: Re: top ten sad songs Re: TMBG:I've lost respect for TMBG TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-10 TMBG: Top Ten. TMBG: RE: t-shirt whining Re: TMBG: Top Ten. TMBG: ok maybe i'm crazy but... TMBG: Re: TMBG Top Ten TMBG: longest list post ever!!! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:12:50 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <3B230FE2.9E5BF7BF@uswest.net> yes..the price is high, but it's a concert T...those are always high... I think I paid $20 for a TMBG T during the Apollo 18 tour, and then I lost it several months later. THAT really cheesed me! If you want a cheaper T, make your own... 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan TMBG Ambassador to MN Kate Larson wrote: > I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing respect > for TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, > yes I do understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To > be honest, I was happy that I actually got a response back from > Flansburgh. Ok, so maybe I just wanted to complain a bit. And maybe > "losing respect" was an exxageration of my emotions. But still, the > real problem here is that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's > why I was so bitter to start with. Come on now, don't any of you > agree??? > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:21:01 EDT From: LimeZinger@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: In a message dated 6/10/01 2:11:57 AM, mohan1@uswest.net writes: > But still, the >> real problem here is that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's >> why I was so bitter to start with. Come on now, don't any of you >> agree??? >> should i complain about the cost of a new volkswagen jetta? no, i bought a used one instead... no one *makes* you do anything; i don't think. you don't have to go to concerts, and you don't have to buy merchandise. and conversely, band members don't have to give autographs. sarah http://glimmer.org/sarah/ "queens love me!" - gene rayburn ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:22:39 -0400 From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: TMBG: Re: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <007e01c0f175$bfd13380$196d96ce@maxweb.com> Original post: <<<| I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing respect for TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, yes I do understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To be honest, I was happy that I actually got a response back from Flansburgh. Ok, so maybe I just wanted to complain a bit. And maybe "losing respect" was an exxageration of my emotions. But still, the real problem here is that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's why I was so bitter to start with. Come on now, don't any of you agree??? >>> I don't agree at all. You were chasing them down in their private time. I think sometimes people have irrational expectations of celebrities/public figures. While I'm sure they're thankful they have fans as loyal as us, they don't OWE us anything. Last month I saw TMBG at Oberlin, and we got there quite early. As we were walking around the campus, I passed John Linnell on a sidewalk. Him and his friend, me and my boyfriend were the only people around in sight, and I didn't say anything to him. I know he likes his distance from people, and I'll respect that. I've enjoyed TMBG for awhile now, and as thanks I'll not harass them, but instead give them the space they deserve. Eh, not to sound preachy. I've had friends that have had the same reaction about other artists, and whoever the artist is, my feelings are the same: They don't owe any of us jack. And I'm guessing no one held a gun up to your head and FORCED you to buy the $25 t shirt. I've seen TMBG 9 times, and I've yet to purchase a single t shirt, but I have been fortunate to get in to see Them for as little as $5. That alone makes me a happy fan... :) I'm sorry if the tone of this letter is snappy, but it's late and I'm tired, and on painkillers for an ear infection. :) Whee. And that is all. Colleen Anned ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:38:50 -0500 From: ":: julie ::" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <002a01c0f178$02928460$631a9b18@cctx.clearsource.net> i think $25 is a little steep for a shirt, but if you like them enough you'll buy it. face it. if i ever found a tmbg baby tee, i would probably pay up to $50 for it. extra large band t-shirts suck!! julie Kate Larson wrote in message news:F65vyGp9dnjUoisAY5i0001354e@hotmail.com... I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing respect for TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, yes I do understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To be honest, I was happy that I actually got a response back from Flansburgh. Ok, so maybe I just wanted to complain a bit. And maybe "losing respect" was an exxageration of my emotions. But still, the real problem here is that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's why I was so bitter to start with. Come on now, don't any of you agree???=20 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:53:30 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Rants and sigs... Message-ID: <118.1c3789.2854736b@aol.com> After reading about this going back and forth, I need to add some input on this subject because I can sympathize. Would you want some total stranger out of no where chasing, coming after you, or approciating you in a ill mattered way (wheither it being badgering, or annoying) out of no where? I don't want to sound bad, but how you did that was pretty rude. The one time I had asked for autographed, it was when members of the band were hanging out talking to folks after the show, except Mr. Flansburgh, who unfortunately got mobbed at the table he was signing things at. Was a pleasure talking to him for a few mins. What I had signed was a print of a drawing I'd done that the Johns and group had insired me to do. I also gave them a copy as a thank you. Now, on the subject I can relate to. Many of you may not know me, but I'm pretty known as a cartoonist. I've gone to a number of art/anthrophormorphic/sci-fi conventions, and end up getting over loaded with sketch books (Anthrocon 2000 got REALLY bad). That, and every time I'm at a con, people follow me around. It can get really aggrivating to a point I had to hide out in my hotel room so I had some time alone, or could just hang out with a few folks. That's just my feeling when people get to me. Usually if I'm just hanging out, I don't mind doodling in a book. Another thing on the autograph subject is that I study hand writing. At big events (usually non-family ones), I ask people to sign a shirt I'll have with me. Usually I bring them to conventions. Often I'll get on different shirts the same signature. Comparing hand writing gets interesting. BTW, if you ever wanna forge a signature, look at the original upside down. Try it! ^_^ Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:58:45 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: >That's true...They did that Coke spot.... so that >means THEY'VE SOLD OUT! HOWCOULD THEY?!! WHAT WERE >THEY THINKING?!! I'LL NEVER BUY....wha? I candownload >it off Napster? Cool. That wasn't selling out. That was very creative. I'm not sure where I heard that ad, but being it was for radio, was pretty damn cool. Kraft did a similar one for their Cheese and Macaroni where the channels were flipping on TV, and each one featured something in some "form" relating to the product. Some were pretty funny (I think they've done at least 2 of these). Now, when they start doing ads involving baked beans, I think they've lost it. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:11:44 -0400 From: "D.V. Caputo" Subject: TMBG: Re: top ten sad songs Message-ID: hmm...my list for the top 10 sad TMBG songs would be: 10.Which Describes how you're feeling(demo version) 9.Why Must I Be Sad? 8.I've Got a Match 7.The Day 6.I'll sink Manhattan 5.narrow Your Eyes 4.Your own worst Enemy 3.They'll Need A Crane 2.Road Movie To Berlin 1.The End of The Tour ..just my 2 dollars(opinion prices have raised due to inflation)! -D.V. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:15:29 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-10 Message-ID: <9a.156badfe.28547891@aol.com> What's with the Bright Eyes hating? george ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:19:29 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610001904.00abfe98@mail.aviationpage.com> Oh yea, needed 10. Sorry Mine are based on lyrics and mood of the music. 10. One More Parade 9. Hide away folk family 8. Road Movie to Berlin 7. Lucky Ball & Chain 6. Destination Moon 5. Snail Shell 4. Spiraling Shape 3. Pencil Rain 2. Mr. Me 1. End of the Tour ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:19:41 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610001935.00ac1478@mail.aviationpage.com> I think my Live on Stage Tour (Feb 3, 2001) was $20 as well. They are high priced but totally worth it. Even though I can go to their website and get the same exact shirt. At 11:12 PM 6/9/2001, you wrote: >yes..the price is high, but it's a concert T...those are always high... I >think I paid $20 for a TMBG T during the Apollo 18 tour, and then I lost >it several months later. THAT really cheesed me! > >If you want a cheaper T, make your own... > >'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan >TMBG Ambassador to MN ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:20:00 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song June 10 Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610001957.00abffd8@mail.aviationpage.com> I must have that song in a better format! That song that is on there right now sounds great, I guess it is called "And he Gets No Answer." I kind of did wish they would give the names of the songs when they play them. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:20:22 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Let's play "Find A Scapegoat!" Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610002017.00a60570@mail.aviationpage.com> Well I have a little bit of everything in my collection. Jimmy Buffett, Glen Miller, Bush, Fountains of Wayne, and some even more off the wall stuff like Tipsy. At 12:56 PM 6/8/2001, you wrote: >I was under the impression that Fountains of Wayne were fairly popular >among TMBG fans. I guess I'm wrong. It doesn't matter, because I can't >really say I hate Adam Schlesinger anymore now that I've heard the new So >Loud, because it's probably going to be my second favorite song on the >album, if Thunderbird gets on there. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:21:57 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts, Legality of Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610002151.00abd1d0@mail.aviationpage.com> Yea, no kidding. If I am going to be Ambassador to California, I want people to be only slightly confused when they see They Might Be Giants. Not completely confused when they see TMBG. It's fun watching people behind me at the stop light trying to figure out what They Might Be Giants means flying over the drinking bird. I got the bird and TMBG turned into a calvin-type window sticker. The only think I can guess they are thinking is "What is that? Well it's not calvin peeing on anything." At 12:51 PM 6/7/2001, you wrote: > I'm still not convinced that it is illegal to print the phrase "They > Might Be >Giants" on a non-profit T-shirt but lets say that it is. Do you really >think The >Johns or anyone else involved would care? That would be pathetic if they >did. How >many do you think are going to be distributed anyway? 25? 50? 100? That won't >even get you a cease and desist letter. I for one am not interested in a >T-shirt >with an altered or portion of the band's name. > > -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:22:52 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: 10 Things Every TMBG Fan Should Know Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610002247.00ac3938@mail.aviationpage.com> That's good because the opener they had at HoB on Feb 3rd, OK GO, sucked hard! >4. Linnell's wife gave birth to Siamese triplets with eight fingers on >each hand. They grew at an accelerated rate, and have now formed a band >of their own, which will open for TMBG at future shows. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:23:11 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610002302.00acd3f0@mail.aviationpage.com> [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:25:17 -0500 From: ":: julie ::" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <012a01c0f17e$7ff7e660$631a9b18@cctx.clearsource.net> i think $25 is a little steep for a shirt, but if you like them enough you'll buy it. face it. it's the whole supply & demand thing. it's not like you can find tmbg stuff at walmart. if i ever found a tmbg baby tee, i would probably pay up to $50 for it. extra large band t-shirts suck!! julie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- styloroc.net icq - 23124220 Kate Larson wrote in message news:F65vyGp9dnjUoisAY5i0001354e@hotmail.com... I'm the one who wrote the last email complaining about losing respect for TMBG. Ok... first of all, I was not stalking, and second of all, yes I do understand how they wouldn't want to give out autographs. To be honest, I was happy that I actually got a response back from Flansburgh. Ok, so maybe I just wanted to complain a bit. And maybe "losing respect" was an exxageration of my emotions. But still, the real problem here is that they were charging 25$ for t-shirts. That's why I was so bitter to start with. Come on now, don't any of you agree???=20 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:32:30 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610003011.00ac4e78@mail.aviationpage.com> [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:36:29 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <20010610073629.92515.qmail@web11607.mail.yahoo.com> I am a lurker 99% of the time but I have to comment on this... >Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:13:57 -0400 (EDT) >From: Josh Axelrad >Subject: Re: TMBG: Actually...I like it! >Message-ID: 100000@tmbg.cc.cmu.edu> >OK, >Its not that it is techno that irritates me >personally... I like that >TMBG >figures out all kinds of different kinds of music to >explore... and I >agree that the techno beat seems to go with the >song... >However, its is a horrible derivative techno song... >its not ground >breaking or unique really... its taking a very >straight forward techno >style beat and setting the song to it... It takes a >song which was >really >special and interesting and makes it cookie cutter in >a way... > >bah... I dunno > >-- >Jish >TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page >http://www.tmbg.net/ > >"well the clock's heart it hangs inside its open chest > with hands stretched towards the calendar hanging >itself" - Bright >Eyes The new version of It's So Loud In Here is hardly a horrible derivative techno song... If you have ever listened to any "real" techno music you would realize this. I agree that the drum beat of the song is a techno (maybe even a horrible derivative techno) beat but that is the only element of the song that even resembles techno. The bass line in the song has an obvious disco feel to it (remember Funkytown by Lipps Inc.) which complements the lyrics of the song nicely. The lyric melody is not even close to anything that is truly techno and with a perfect harmony behind it - is VERY Giantish. The song is still interesting, special, and far from any cookie-cutter techno song. I am not saying that when I first heard the new version that I wasn't surprised, but They themselves even said: "Man, It's So Loud In Here Completely reorchestrated with the help of producer Adam Schlesinger (who's also in Fountains of Wayne), this song doesn't sound like anything we would have ever done by ourselves, probably. It pays homage to one or two well known bands from the mid-1980's, but we're hoping the song will be so successful that eventually people will hear them and be reminded of us." When I first heard a live version of this song I loved the guitar riff that started it off and I was somewhat disappointed that the new version did not include this, but a true TMBG fan would understand and respect Their judgement...Upon a few more listens I realized that the new version rocks hardcore. This reminds me of all the complaining over Another First Kiss. As musicians well know, it takes many recordings and many different mixdowns to get a song to sound the way that it was originally intended. The lyrics and the whole point of this song suggest a slower and albeit sappier sound than that of the STD version. They realized this and that is precisely why they remixed the song the way that They did. They remixed it to sound the way that They originally intended it to. Again, any true TMBG fan would understand this and respect and love the song the way that it is supposed to be. Keep The Love Flowin, Rob ===== 'And although I like you anyway check out your haircut... A proscenium to stage a face that needs no make-up.' - John L. "Bangs" __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:42:59 -0500 From: ":: julie ::" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <015201c0f180$f9184880$631a9b18@cctx.clearsource.net> i just wish that whoever is in charge of tmbg marketing, they have to figure that a semi-large portion of fans are smaller people (and girls) that would like to sport their tmbg attire without the shirt hanging down to their knees. this is why i have yet to own a tmbg shirt. i can't find a tmbg sticker for my car either, anyone know where i can buy/steal/beg for one? julie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- styloroc.net icq - 21324220 ----- Original Message ----- From: Bryan T. Hoerber To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 2:32 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT I like the X-Large band Ts. I don't normally wear any branded shirts or clothing for that matter. With my large TMBG shirt I got from the concert I wear it then throw another shit on over it. I will probably end up doing that with the KSPC shirts. I spend more time branding my Rav and my computer with the things I absolutely enjoy. TMBG being one of them. I wish I got an X-Large TMBG shirt so I could retire my Skunk Works TShirt that I sleep in and get a new comfy TMBG one. At 12:25 AM 6/10/2001, you wrote: i think $25 is a little steep for a shirt, but if you like them enough you'll buy it. face it. it's the whole supply & demand thing. it's not like you can find tmbg stuff at walmart. if i ever found a tmbg baby tee, i would probably pay up to $50 for it. extra large band t-shirts suck!! julie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:47:47 EDT From: LimeZinger@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: In a message dated 6/10/01 3:43:47 AM, julie@styloroc.net writes: >i just wish that whoever is in charge of tmbg marketing, they have to figure >that a semi-large portion of fans are smaller people (and girls) that would >like to sport their tmbg attire without the shirt hanging down to their >knees. this is why i have yet to own a tmbg shirt. i can't find a tmbg >sticker for my car either, anyone know where i can buy/steal/beg for one? at the last show i went to, they had a shirt i wanted (it was like a sky blue colour) but only in kids' size. i bought it - YES $25... for my little sister. i tried it on, and it does fit me fine. i'm small. as for the stickers, i know that they at least used to have them on the website... i bought one (though i have it in the window with an evil radiohead bear, i can't bear to stick anything on my car)..i think it was $3 or something. not sure if they're still available. but there's always ebay (where i got the radiohead sticker, actually ;)).. sarah http://glimmer.org/sarah/ "queens love me!" - gene rayburn ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:55:04 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010610005421.00acd1e8@mail.aviationpage.com> [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:47:58 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-9 Message-ID: <3B235E6D.ECD6D70C@uswest.net> Erika.... Calm down..... I make a little joking... ha ha ...Now that ad They did for those acne pads was wayyyyyyy out there.... Jim Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > >That's true...They did that Coke spot.... so that >means THEY'VE SOLD OUT! HOWCOULD THEY?!! WHAT WERE >THEY THINKING?!! I'LL NEVER BUY....wha? I candownload >it off Napster? Cool. > > That wasn't selling out. That was very creative. I'm not sure where I heard that ad, but being it was for radio, was pretty damn cool. Kraft did a similar one for their Cheese and Macaroni where the channels were flipping on TV, and each one featured something in some "form" relating to the product. Some were pretty funny (I think they've done at least 2 of these). > > Now, when they start doing ads involving baked beans, I think they've lost it. > > Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:42:32 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so I didn't get the autograph...BUT Message-ID: <3B238758.6B07@bgnet.bgsu.edu> There's plenty of us out here who ain't puny. The only one of the TMBG shirts that fits me is the guitar/accordian XXL from the STD tour. All of the others were banished to undershirt land. You'd think they'd sell a Flans (monster size) and a Linnell (smaller size)... So this whole size problem works both ways. No further questions... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:02:55 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: top ten sad songs Message-ID: <28.169548ab.2854e61f@aol.com> The End of The Tour I think is probably the saddest one. After I read the interpretations of it, the meaning of the song changed for me. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:53:05 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: Re: TMBG:I've lost respect for TMBG Message-ID: Kate Sith wrote: >>I saw TMBG for the 4th time in concert last month at Northeastern >>University. I've been a die hard fan since 6th grade and I always try to >>get an autograph. After a great concert, TMBG fled off the stage to a back >>parking lot. Instead of waiting along side the fence, I cleverly went >>around the building to a side street. Just as I get there, Linnel and >>Flansburg are driving out of the driveway. Let me add, Flansburg was >>driving and Linnel was in the passenger seat. It was a shitty green car. >>Anyway, as they were slowly driving by, I was 2 feet from the car and the >>windows were rolled down. "Yes!!! Finally my chance," I thought. So, I >>politely say, "John! Can i get an autograph?" And Flansburgh replies, >>"Noooo, we're MEAN! We're PRICKS! But thanks for coming down to the show!" >>And then they drove off. I was really dissappointed. They couldn't give >>one stinking autograph! And plus, I was pissed for having paid a WHOPPING >>25$!!! for a damn t-shirt. I've lost respect for TMBG. It seems they have >>become a sell-out. >> >>Kate >> > >-Kate Sith >TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan > Honestly now, that is hillarious. That is so John & John and you must admit that if it happened to anyone else it would be very funny. That, in my mind, is quite a unique moment with tmbg. dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:36:18 -0700 From: "James LeVeque" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-10 Message-ID: > > Call Them a 'sell-out' when They start hocking Diet Coke or granola bars... > ...or pizza. ~blue_j --James LeVeque-- =blue-j.livejournal.com= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:50:54 -0400 From: "Ana Ng" Subject: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: Okay, here's my list: 12. The Famous Polka 11. Siftin' 10. Hell Hotel 9. Sleeping In The Flowers 8. Destination Moon 7. The Statue Got Me High 6. They'll Need A Crane 5. Pet Name 4. Narrow Your Eyes 3. The End Of The Tour 2. I've Got A Match 1. I Blame You I know, I know; it has twelve, but I couldn't leave out The Famous Polka and Siftin'. Well, that's my opinion; I think I'm going to go back to my little world and resume my lurking. Ondine, TMBG Ambassador from KY (718) 387-6962 They Might Be Giants Dial-a-Song service. Just a regular call to Brooklyn. Free when you call from work. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:36:08 -0400 From: "Jen Childs" Subject: TMBG: RE: t-shirt whining Message-ID: <007d01c0f1fd$bf2ef740$2a000a0a@raven> So buy your t-shirt online if you don't want to pay $25. Everyone knows a show is usually the most expensive place to buy a band shirt. ÁÁ- Jen@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:44:38 +0100 From: David Poppers Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <3B2387D6.D37D56A7@earthlink.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I don't get it- how is Siftin' a sad song? I always thought it was HAPPY. Siftin'! SIFTIN'! SIIIIIIFFFFFFFTTTTTTIIIIINNNN'!!!!!!!! lalalalala (etc.) Pi Ana Ng wrote: > > Okay, here's my list: > > 12. The Famous Polka > 11. Siftin' > I know, I know; it has twelve, but I couldn't leave out The Famous Polka and > Siftin'. Well, that's my opinion; I think I'm going to go back to my little > world and resume my lurking. > > Ondine, TMBG Ambassador from KY > > (718) 387-6962 They Might Be Giants Dial-a-Song service. Just a regular call > to Brooklyn. Free when you call from work. > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:57:14 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: ok maybe i'm crazy but... Message-ID: <34.16535628.28559b9a@aol.com> doesn't My Man sound kinda gay? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:59:43 -0700 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Top Ten Message-ID: > >Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:15:53 -0400 >From: "Kate Sith" >Subject: TMBG: Top Ten. >Message-ID: > >Hey, folks. I was just wondering what y'all would list as the top ten >saddest TMBG songs. I thought this would be an interesting question to >pose, considering how different some people's interps can be. > >-Kate Sith >TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan > > >>10. Hide Away Folk Family >>9. Road Movie to Berlin >>8. If I Wasn't Shy >>7. Piece of Dirt >>6. Unforgotten >>5. Your Own Worst Enemy >>4. Narrow Your Eyes >>3. I Blame You >>2. They'll Need a Crane > >1. The End of the Tour I always felt Their saddest songs were also their best. To this fine list I must add (off the top of my head) * Ana Ng (which I would put at #1) *Unrelated Thing *Lucky Ball and Chain *It's Not My Birthday and many others! Oh, and to the English person who asked a few days ago about the West Wing: Yes, season two has just ended here, and you're going to absolutely love it. Transcendent TV. PZ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:51:29 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: longest list post ever!!! Message-ID: <9g1mlj$5ua$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > Now, when they start doing ads involving baked beans, I think they've lost it. from the other tmbg ng i thought you all might enjoy... > Yes. "Boat of Car" is going to be heard in Cadillac commercials. > "Spider" will be played in an exterminator's ad > A Taco Bell commercial will feature "Dinner Bell," > "Older" will be used by a life insurance company, > "Hovering Sombrero" is the new theme for some hat shop. > Doctor Worm advertising worming pills for pets. > Cowtown could make a good name for a meat market > 'till my head falls off' for an Advil spot :) >Meet James Ensor--an art gallery >She's Actual Size--Weight Watchers? >Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses >SenSurround--Stereo speakers and now for something completely different.... tmbg pink: Everything right is wrong again = hospital Puppet head = novelty shop Number 3 = foreign language courses Don't lets start = marriage counseling Hide away folk family = family getaway 32 footsteps = workout video Toddler hiway = toys r us Rabid child = vaccination shots Nothings gonna change my clothes = the gap Hotel detective = detective agency She's an angel = personals ad Youth culture killed my dog = road kill prevention Boat of car = all terrain vehicle Absolutely bills mood = alcohol (absolute) Chess piece face = chess club I hope that I get old before I die = life insurance agency Alienations for the rich = boarding school The day = wedding planner Rhythm section want ad = newspaper want ads Lincoln Ana Ng = dating service Cowtown = novelty ranch Lie still lil bottle= ummm pills Purple toupee = wig store for the weird Cage and aquarium = pet store Where your eyes don't go = eye glasses Piece of dirt = home gardening Mr. Me = men's wear Pencil rain = office depot Worlds address = travel agency I've got a match = camping supplies Santa's beard = costume shop You'll miss me = answering machine message They'll need a crane = construction company Shoehorn with teeth = shoe store Stand on your own head = yoga Snowball in hell = ummm those lil stands where they sell snow cones or a furnace seller Flood Theme from flood = newscasters background music for disasters Birdhouse in your soul = knick knack store Lucky ball and chain = prison Istanbul not Constantinople = faulty map Dead = funeral parlor Your racist friend = name of a new soap opera Particle man = micro biology Twisting = you bastards! What have you done?!?! Pizza hut We want a rock = jewelry store Someone keeps moving my chair = furniture store Hearing aid = do I really need to type it again? Minimum wage = Mc Donald's Letterbox = postal service Whistling in the dark = electric company Hot cha = spicy restaurant Women and men = adults store Sapphire bullets of pure love = NRA The Might Be Giants = best band ever!!!!!!! Road movie to Berlin = Indiana Jones and the last crusade Misc. T Hey Mr. DJ I thought you said we had a deal = radio lawyer Lady is a tramp = Disney movie Birds fly = Hitchcock film The worlds address = apparel Nightgown of the sullen moon = dream theme I'll sink Manhattan = the movie Deep Impact It's not my birthday = Alice in wonderland Hello radio = Flans radio station Mr. Klaw = crab and lobster buffet The biggest one = any fast food meal For Science = an experimental bar tender 13 = tmbg fans worst nightmare Hotel detective = private eye The famous polka = Weird Al theme *shudders* When it rains it snows = Iowa We're the replacements = the band, the movie Don't lets start = car repair service Apollo 18 Dig my grave = cemetery I palindrome I = smart peeps games with too much time on their hands She's actual size = stand up posters My evil twin = Austin powers and Dr. Evil Mammal = animal planet The statue got me high = New York's liberty Spider = extermination / preservation The guitar = instrument store Dinner bell = Texas restaurant Narrow your eyes = scenic scenes Hall of heads = futurama first episode Which describes how your feeling = psychiatrists See the constellation = observatory If I wasn't shy = office space the movie Turn around = dance Hypnotist of ladies = Johnny depps theme (sigh ;) Fingertips = massage professionals Space suit = star trek John Henry Subliminal = commercials in theatres Snail shell = agoraphobic theme Sleeping in the flowers = Flowerama Unrelated thing = Negativland theme Aka driver = truckers I should be allowed to think = teen theme Extra savoir faire = men's big and tall Why must I be sad = hallmark card 'miss you' dropout Spy = US and china O do not forsake me = drama club asking for money No one knows my plan = me Dirt bike = outdoors store Destination moon = Apollo missions A self called nowhere = Iowa Meet James Ensor = an art gallery Thermostat = furnace repair Window = windows 2000 Out of jail = Willy (hehehe) Stomp box = late night club The end of the tour = tour guide finale Factory showroom token back to brooklyn = subway S-E-X-X-Y = adults store for peoples with bad chromosomes till my head falls off = toy makers how can I sing like a girl = chorus classes Exquisite dead guy = historical societies featured dead guy Metal detector = treasure hunters necessities New York City = um yeah Your own worst enemy = Weird Al and Cher XTC vs. Adam Ant = the brawl outside the rock and roll hall of fame Spiraling shape = best tmbg song ever!!!!! (for the next 4 min.. lalala) James k Polk = tribute song of course Pet name = wolfie I can hear you = hearing aid The bells are ringing = bellbottom store wolfie thank you, thank you, (cheering wildly in distance) (turns off tape) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-11 ******************************