Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 14 Thursday, 14 June 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here TMBG: Ambassador-ship Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here Re: TMBG: TMBG in Toyfare Re: TMBG: TMBG in the UK! TMBG: Woo UK Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here TMBG: The new Unltd Traks Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here TMBG: Happy Birthday John L/Ambassadorship challenge TMBG: TMBG ripping off YFF TMBG: Re: Woo UK Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Top Ten. TMBG: See the Connie Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:24:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here Message-ID: <20010613072405.66569.qmail@web11605.mail.yahoo.com> Nathan: >Rob: >>The bass line in the song has an >>obvious disco feel to it (remember Funkytown by Lipps >>Inc.) > >Do I HAVE to remember that song? > No, you don't have to. :) >>When I first heard a live version of this song I loved >>the guitar riff that started it off and I was somewhat >>disappointed that the new version did not include >>this, but a true TMBG fan would understand and respect >>Their judgement...Upon a few more listens I realized >>that the new version rocks hardcore. >> >>This reminds me of all the complaining over Another >>First Kiss. As musicians well know, it takes many >>recordings and many different mixdowns to get a song >>to sound the way that it was originally intended. The >>lyrics and the whole point of this song suggest a >>slower and albeit sappier sound than that of the STD >>version. They realized this and that is precisely why >>they remixed the song the way that They did. They >>remixed it to sound the way that They originally >>intended it to. Again, any true TMBG fan would >>understand this and respect and love the song the way >>that it is supposed to be. >And how do YOU know what a true TMBG fan would do? >Do you set the >standards >for this? Does a "true" fan have to like every >single song the band >does, >and every decision they make? If someone doesn't >like a new version of >a >song, why wouldn't they complain about it? I know >there are some songs >that >I preferred in demo form ("Token Back To Brooklyn" >comes to mind), and >some >where the band made some decisions for the album >versions that I wish >they >hadn't made (lyrical alterations in "They Might Be >Giants," >over-embellishment of "Hope That I Get Old Before I >Die" with random >synthesizer sounds, removal of the big finish >from "Kiss Me, Son Of >God," >etc.). Does this mean I'm not a true fan? I am sorry if I offended anyone else with that comment... Upon reading it again I realized that it did sound a little pretentious, but that is not what I had intended. First of all I never said that a true TMBG fan has to LIKE every single song that They do or LIKE every decision they make, I said that a true TMBG fan would respect and understand the songs the way They were intended to sound. Of course there are some demos that I prefer over studio mixdowns, but if you are a true fan of the band you will take the time to listen to the studio versions more closely and find the things that you DO like about them rather than wasting time and energy complaining about how much better the demos were. >If someone doesn't like a new version >>of a >>song, why wouldn't they complain about it? Complaining about a song is not a form of respect and if you do not respect a band you are not a true fan. >Because their complaining won't accomplish anything, >and no one's >forcing >them to listen to it? Exactly. I am not claiming to set the standards for "true" fandom but the definition of true in the dictionary beside me is: ...Faithful, steadfast, adhering, loyal, honorable, reliable, unfailing, devoted, genuine, dependable... Put each one of those words in the place of true and you will get my definition for a true fan. Sorry again if I offended anyone. Keep The Love Flowin', Rob ===== 'There is nothing... nothing more important than the truth.' __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:39:20 +1000 From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Ambassador-ship Message-ID: Is it too late for me to say I wanna be the TMBG Ambassador of Australia??? Lyndy (sam) "Me, me ...pick me" "**Bounding and leaping... Like a fearless deer!**" Mascara E-card _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:24:02 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <3B274D52.AA313671@uswest.net> y'know, i don't believe I've ever been saddened by one of Their songs...even one of Their sad songs.... I've always had fun while listening....even the sad stuff... Does that make me sick & twisted? Which reminds me of Steve Martin once said, "You can never have a sad song while playing the banjo. [He begins playing..] Oh, Death and Grief and Sorrow and Murder.." Why must I be sad? 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan TMBG Ambassador to MN John Ferrer wrote: > >Someone already commented on "Siftin'", but I find "The Famous > >Polka" to be an even odder choice. What's sad about it? Perhaps the > line "But > >when the phone inside her ribcage rings it's not for me" could be sad > in the > >right context, but I don't think this song IS the right context. The > song > >seems to me to be about those people who say, "Oh, I have SO much in > >common with [insert celebrity name here; it could even be one of the > Johns]! > >Why won't he/she marry me?" It's a little too silly to be a sad song, > I'd > >say. Then again, this is probably a good example as to how different > fans view > >certain songs in different ways. > >-- Obviously. I think it's one of the saddest songs ever. It's funny > too, but it depresses the crap out of me. In basically four lines, > they say so much. A guy loves a girl he can never have, but he's > filled with a ridiculous amount of optimism so that he doesn't lose > hope. At the same time, the character is pathetic and admirable. Am I > thinking too much? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean I don't believe > it. > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:33:23 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here Message-ID: <3B274F83.EC6AD87A@uswest.net> *sigh* why do people have to whine and complain? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwwww..... Kate Sith wrote: > >From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" > >Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here > >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:46:12 -0000 > > If someone doesn't like a new version > >of a > >song, why wouldn't they complain about it? > > Because their complaining won't accomplish anything, and no one's forcing > them to listen to it? > > -Kate Sith > TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > "Pinch me, 'cause I'm still asleep > Please god, tell me that I'm still asleep." > -E. Robertson > > "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time > Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." > -J. Linnell > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:47:51 -0000 From: "Eugene Jarvis" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Toyfare Message-ID: > >Who can beat up these 'Giants'? Try Malcolm in the Middle. > >In the video for "Boss of Me," ..... Damn!! I got all excited when I saw the subject line. I was hoping the making figures of Them for release in stores. Damn, damn, damn. Hey, maybe should flood MacFarlane toys with requests for them. Kinda like when all th list members tried to "flood" (haha) MTV's TRL with requests to play Doctor Worm. ---------------------------------------------------------- My Website: http://stalkingsarah.20m.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "My eyes are blind but I can see The snowflakes glisten on the trees ---------------- The sun no longer sets me free "Serial Man" I feel the snowflakes freezing me. ---------------- Josh Buckland Crystal world with winter flowers A.K.A "Eugene Jarvis" Turn my days to frozen hours -------------------- Lying snowblind in th sun Will my ice-age ever come?" -"Snowblind", Black Sabbath _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:23:18 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in the UK! Message-ID: <001c01c0f353$9c519000$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> > Wasn't the band Bush named after Shepherds Bush? I always thoguht Bush took their name from...well, (sorry if i offend anyone) poontang. However, Maybe that was just my young, teenage mind interperting things incorrectly...who knows. jon jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:39:02 +0100 From: "Al" Subject: TMBG: Woo UK Message-ID: <003201c0f438$1f02d880$d89d893e@005282020097> Well, I'll try to get there at "the Bush" with my friends. It's always awkward during the week for me to do stuff with work, but I'll try. I missed the Garage Gigs, so I'll Try. AL ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:53:34 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here Message-ID: Bryan Hoerber: >My take on the Demo recordings. I think some people like those better >because they are unrefined, original, and raw. I think that's part of it, but not all of it. Sure, demos are raw, but sometimes they have ideas or styles that people wish the band would have carried over to the finished product. Take "Don't Let's Start," for instance. The demo version has sort of a calypso sound. They could have worked with that sound and polished it for the finished version, but instead they gave the song a completely different style. "When It Rains It Snows" started with a music box/lullaby feel, and it changed to an accordion-based waltz, heavy on the hi-hat. Now, I'm not saying that I liked the demo styles better for these two songs, but it might have been interesting if they had developed the original sounds, rather than changing the styles. I think this is sort of what people are saying about the more recent recordings. They're not saying that the demo of "Finished With Lies" should have been put on Mink Car, but rather that the band should have recorded the slow version in the studio, instead of making it into a more upbeat song. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:01:43 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: The new Unltd Traks Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010613115802.00aa9880@mail.aviationpage.com> Hmmm... I love them! I can't wait for the new album now. Although She Thinks She's Edith Head has been done to death I love this version a lot more than the LTW version. The vocals are a lot better in my opinion. Now the live tracks, I have so many of them I am not impressed by them anymore. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:05:08 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, it's so demo-y in here Message-ID: Rob: >I am sorry if I offended anyone else with that >comment... Upon reading it again I realized that it >did sound a little pretentious, but that is not what I >had intended. First of all I never said that a true >TMBG fan has to LIKE every single song that They do or >LIKE every decision they make, I said that a true TMBG >fan would respect and understand the songs the way >They were intended to sound. Of course there are some >demos that I prefer over studio mixdowns, but if you >are a true fan of the band you will take the time to >listen to the studio versions more closely and find >the things that you DO like about them rather than >wasting time and energy complaining about how much >better the demos were. There's certainly something in that. I DO prefer to find things I like about songs, and, really, I could probably tell you something I liked about every single TMBG song, even the ones I don't like that much. Nonetheless, there's nothing necessarily wrong with offering a negative opinion on a song, and it really doesn't take that much time and energy. > >If someone doesn't like a new version > >>of a > >>song, why wouldn't they complain about it? > >Complaining about a song is not a form of respect and >if you do not respect a band you are not a true fan. Well, I DO respect TMBG, but I'm not sure the statement is entirely true. Just for the sake of argument, couldn't I think the Johns are big doofuses who make bad decisions, yet still enjoy their music? > >Because their complaining won't accomplish anything, > >and no one's > >forcing > >them to listen to it? > >Exactly. That's true, and I'm sorry if I looked like I was encouraging people to complain. Of course, there's a fine line between complaint and constructive criticism. While I agree that posts saying things like "Gee, that new version of 'It's So Loud In Here' really sucks!" serve no real purpose other than to make the poster sound whiny and get most of the list mad at him or her, I would encourage constructive criticism (along the lines of "I think the live version of 'It's So Loud In Here' was better than this Schlesinger mix because..."). After all, isn't that partially what the list is for? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:10:41 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday John L/Ambassadorship challenge Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:23:33 From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: TMBG ripping off YFF Message-ID: Ok.. all this talk of the "Twistin'" Pizza Hut commercial got me thinking. Know how Flansy mentions the Young Fresh Fellows in that song? I got curious, and picked up a YFF CD. "Because we hate you" I think is the title. Well, the song "Drum Set" starts out with a beat like.. c'mon.. you're all smart... the drum beat in the breakdown (right before the solo) of Twistin!!! Now, of course I realize this isn't ripping off, but more of a paying homage to YFF... Pick up the CD if you haven't. It's good. -Dave www.siment.net _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:50:31 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: Woo UK Message-ID: <9g9fqd$j7h$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C0F463.A14A13A0 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Well, I'll try to get there at "the Bush" with my friends. It's always = awkward during the week for me to do stuff with work, but I'll try. I = missed the Garage Gigs, so I'll Try. so are you gonna try or what? wolfie official tmbg ambassador *of iowa *(is it "of" or "to" ?) ------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C0F463.A14A13A0 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Well, I'll try to get there at "the = Bush" with my=20 friends. It's always awkward during the week for me to do stuff with = work, but=20 I'll try.  I missed the Garage Gigs, so I'll = Try.
so are you gonna try or = what?

wolfie
official tmbg ambassador *of = iowa
*(is it "of" or "to" = ?)
------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C0F463.A14A13A0-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:15:28 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <9g9h98$lml$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Oh, I have SO much in common with > [insert celebrity name here; it could even be one of the Johns]! Why won't > he/she marry me?" yey! its another he/she !!! the rocky horror cast awaits the he/she's response to the curtain call.... wolfie magenta with linnell hair having dilutions of grandeur. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:23:08 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010613222305.00ac2e50@mail.aviationpage.com> Oh Rocky! At 12:15 AM 6/14/2001, you wrote: >"Oh, I have SO much in common with > > [insert celebrity name here; it could even be one of the Johns]! Why >won't > > he/she marry me?" > >yey! its another he/she !!! >the rocky horror cast awaits the he/she's response to the curtain call.... > >wolfie >magenta with linnell hair having dilutions of grandeur. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:23:39 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <9g9hoj$mbo$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C0F468.42502A60 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Which reminds me of Steve Martin once said, "You can never have a sad = song while playing the banjo. [He begins playing..] Oh, Death and Grief = and Sorrow and Murder.."=20 you've seen my quote page! yeah! wolfie www.geocities.com/wolfie180g www.geocities.com/wolfie180g/quote_day.html=20 ------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C0F468.42502A60 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Which reminds me of Steve Martin once said, "You can never have a = sad song=20 while playing the banjo. [He begins playing..] Oh, Death and Grief and = Sorrow=20 and Murder.."

you've seen my quote = page!=20 yeah!

wolfie
www.geocities.com/wolfie180g=
www.geocities= .com/wolfie180g/quote_day.html=20

------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C0F468.42502A60-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:30:04 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: See the Connie Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010613222521.00ac2fe0@mail.aviationpage.com> Ok, Ok. Let me apologize in advance for this. I bet you all are sick and tired of the interpretations but I couldn't hold this one back. I was looking at the interpretations of "See The Constellation" on the web site. Mine seems to be way off base and taking a little different route. I think it is about someone missing a train that has to be somewhere. The line "You're train is gone, won't be coming back. See the Constellation right across the sky. No cigar no lady on his arms just a guy made of dots and lines." makes me think that. I also think that they are talking about the Lockheed Constellation that was used in wars and for commercial flights. That's what I got from the reference of the No Cigar and No Lady on his Arm. Kind of like the nose-art that some airplanes had. As for the elevator music that someone mentioned that is at the end of the song. It almost sounds like the bass melody for Why Does The Sun Shine. But I don't know. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-14 ******************************