Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 15 Friday, 15 June 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG ripping off YFF Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Re: TMBG: Man, It's so demo-y in here Re: TMBG: See the Connie Re: TMBG: Man, It's so demo-y in here Re[2]: TMBG: Top Ten. TMBG: Re: TMBG ripping off YFF Re: TMBG: TMBG in the UK! (97.3% Off Topic) TMBG: Show this Weekend TMBG: Re: Happy Birthday John L/Ambassadorship challenge NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Re: NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Re: NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:07:33 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG ripping off YFF Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010614020733.00829670@fisticuffs.org> >Know how Flansy mentions the Young Fresh Fellows in that song? I got >curious, and picked up a YFF CD. "Because we hate you" I think is the title. >Well, the song "Drum Set" starts out with a beat like.. c'mon.. you're all >smart... the drum beat in the breakdown (right before the solo) of >Twistin!!! dude. the young fresh fellows CD was just released this year. "twisting" is, uh, slightly older. just sayin'. and, yes, the new YFF/minus 5 rules hardcore. -mandy It's not cool to sound like a fool. http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:36:00 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <7c.17262aa9.2859b550@aol.com> >Oh Rocky! Bullwinkle! (it had to be said) Talk 2 u later - Erika, TMBG Ambassadoress to LI ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:39:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > >Oh Rocky! > > Bullwinkle! (it had to be said) > > Talk 2 u later - Erika, TMBG Ambassadoress to LI > shouldn't that be "Talk 2 u l8r" ? every letter counts! ÁÁ--kevin (bored) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:56:53 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <7d.16728e2a.2859ba35@aol.com> >shouldn't that be "Talk 2 u l8r" ? To explain my 5 year old signature. I used to used the u's and r's and god knows what horribly for a long long time, due to a friend of mine. It was what I thought was "cool". Well, turned out a lot of people found it annoying. I used to signed emails with just "-Erika", then "Talk 2 u later-Erika". Kept that one. I don't do the u's and r's thing anymore, though DO make the occational typos and grammatical errors I will trip over once in a while. BTW, it's 5 years later, and my friend still types in newbie type. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:15:24 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, It's so demo-y in here Message-ID: <20010614071524.87204.qmail@web11606.mail.yahoo.com> Nathan: >There's certainly something in that. I DO prefer to >find things I like >about songs, and, really, I could probably tell you >something I liked >about >every single TMBG song, even the ones I don't like >that much. >Nonetheless, >there's nothing necessarily wrong with offering a >negative opinion on a >song, and it really doesn't take that much time and >energy. It may not necessarily be wrong... But the time and energy would still be better spent on positive things. >> >If someone doesn't like a new version >> >>of a >> >>song, why wouldn't they complain about it? >> >>Complaining about a song is not a form of respect and >>if you do not respect a band you are not a true fan. >Well, I DO respect TMBG, but I'm not sure the >statement is entirely >true. Oh, but it is... It has to be. >Just for the sake of argument, couldn't I think the >Johns are big >doofuses >who make bad decisions, yet still enjoy their music? Sure you could think the John's are big doofuses who make bad decisions; sure you could still enjoy their music, but just because you enjoy their music does not make you a true fan. Being a true fan entails more than JUST enjoying the music. If you actually felt that way about the Johns you would NOT be a true fan. I think you must have missed the whole point that I was trying to get across. >> >Because their complaining won't accomplish anything, >> >and no one's >> >forcing >> >them to listen to it? >> >>Exactly. >That's true, and I'm sorry if I looked like I was >encouraging people to >complain. Of course, there's a fine line between >complaint and >constructive >criticism. I don't agree with that at all. How can you say that there is a fine line between complaint and constructive criticism... One is negative, disrespectful, and just plain annoying - while the latter is positive and thought-provoking. >While I agree that posts saying things >like "Gee, that new >version of 'It's So Loud In Here' really sucks!" >serve no real purpose >other >than to make the poster sound whiny and get most of >the list mad at him >or >her, I would encourage constructive criticism (along >the lines of "I >think >the live version of 'It's So Loud In Here' was better >than this >Schlesinger >mix because..."). After all, isn't that partially >what the list is >for? I agree with you totally on that, and I don't think nearly enough of that type of discussion happens on this list. Keep The Love Flowin, Rob ===== 'There is nothing... nothing more important than the truth.' __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Spot the hottest trends in music, movies, and more. http://buzz.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:57:52 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: See the Connie Message-ID: Bryan Hoerber: >Ok, Ok. Let me apologize in advance for this. I bet you all are sick and >tired of the interpretations but I couldn't hold this one back. Well, I tend to like interpretations, and anyone who doesn't will probably delete your post upon reading these first few lines, so no harm done. >I was looking at the interpretations of "See The Constellation" on the web >site. Mine seems to be way off base and taking a little different route. > >I think it is about someone missing a train that has to be somewhere. >The line "You're train is gone, won't be coming back. See the Constellation >right across the sky. No cigar no lady on his arms just a guy made of dots >and lines." makes me think that. This could be a valid take on the first verse, but how does it relate to the chorus, or the other two verses? Or do you think the first verse is about a different subject than the rest of the song? (Incidentally, is it "see the constellation RIGHT across the sky," as you say, or is it "...RIDE across the sky"? If the latter, it could serve as support for your interpretation, since the singer wanted to be RIDING a train.) >I also think that they are talking about >the Lockheed Constellation that was used in wars and for commercial >flights. That's what I got from the reference of the No Cigar and No Lady >on his Arm. Kind of like the nose-art that some airplanes had. I'd say that's reaching a bit. Were there ever actually cigars and ladies painted on the Lockheed planes, or is it just a case of "this makes me think of this"? Contrary to what it may seem, I'm not trying to tear your interpretation apart, just to make you think a little more about it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:10:03 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Man, It's so demo-y in here Message-ID: Rob: > >Just for the sake of argument, couldn't I think the > >Johns are big > >doofuses > >who make bad decisions, yet still enjoy their music? > >Sure you could think the John's are big doofuses who >make bad decisions; sure you could still enjoy their >music, but just because you enjoy their music does not >make you a true fan. Being a true fan entails more >than JUST enjoying the music. If you actually felt >that way about the Johns you would NOT be a true fan. Okay, I can buy that. >I think you must have missed the whole point that I >was trying to get across. I don't think I missed it so much as I wanted further clarification. > >> >Because their complaining won't accomplish >anything, > >> >and no one's > >> >forcing > >> >them to listen to it? > >> > >>Exactly. > > >That's true, and I'm sorry if I looked like I was > >encouraging people to > >complain. Of course, there's a fine line between > >complaint and > >constructive > >criticism. > >I don't agree with that at all. How can you say that >there is a fine line between complaint and >constructive criticism... One is negative, >disrespectful, and just plain annoying - while the >latter is positive and thought-provoking. Well, maybe there's a THICK line between one and the other. Does that sound better? Of course, this works both ways. There's also a difference between constructive PRAISE and simply saying, "Hey, all of these songs are great!" -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:40:05 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: Top Ten. Message-ID: <2901149068@sterl.com> Hey, if it's good enough for Prince..... ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Top Ten. Author: Film2Edit@aol.com Date: 06/14/01 2:56 AM >shouldn't that be "Talk 2 u l8r" ? To explain my 5 year old signature. I used to used the u's and r's and god knows what horribly for a long long time, due to a friend of mine. It was what I thought was "cool". Well, turned out a lot of people found it annoying. I used to signed emails with just "-Erika", then "Talk 2 u later-Erika". Kept that one. I don't do the u's and r's thing anymore, though DO make the occational typos and grammatical errors I will trip over once in a while. BTW, it's 5 years later, and my friend still types in newbie type. Talk 2 u later-Erika ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:38:33 -0700 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG ripping off YFF Message-ID: The song also mentions The dB's, another seminal '80's band. In this case, I'm not sure there's a specific musical reference, but subject-wise "Twistin" kinda parallels a song called "Amplifier", which is about a guy whose girl left him and now he's about to kill himself, cuz she took everything *except* his amplifier. The video featured the lead singer hanging himself with a guitar cord, kinda twisting in the wind, I suppose. Then of course there's the line in Twistin about turning off your Marshall stack... PZ *considering whether to accept the nomination as TMBG Ambassador from Washington* > >From: "Dave Novak" >Subject: TMBG: TMBG ripping off YFF >Message-ID: > >Ok.. all this talk of the "Twistin'" Pizza Hut commercial got me thinking. > >Know how Flansy mentions the Young Fresh Fellows in that song? I got >curious, and picked up a YFF CD. "Because we hate you" I think is the title. >Well, the song "Drum Set" starts out with a beat like.. c'mon.. you're all >smart... the drum beat in the breakdown (right before the solo) of >Twistin!!! > >Now, of course I realize this isn't ripping off, but more of a paying homage >to YFF... Pick up the CD if you haven't. It's good. > >-Dave >www.siment.net ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:50:35 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in the UK! (97.3% Off Topic) Message-ID: <3B28F94E.A2813424@pacificnet.net> Richard Hilton wrote: > Monday 16th July, Shepherds Bush Empire, London - ticket prices |12.50 (ish). > > Who's coming?! > > Richard ~ your UK Ambassador ~ > Get your Radiohead to do some more US shows this summer and I'll try to get our TMBG to do some more UK shows. I'm willing to pay the equivalent of many of your squigley "|" thingys to see Radiohead. By the way, TMBG does have some connections to Radiohead but I'm too tired to explain at the moment. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:56:42 -0400 From: Subject: TMBG: Show this Weekend Message-ID: <000a01c0f4fb$5ed8a980$12050a0a@lees> If any of you TMBG fans are in the Connecticut area and looking for some fun. MidLifeCrisis will be playing at O'Hagan's Pub in Burlington Saturday 6-16 and performing their version of Istanbul as played on WMBG2 radio Live365. www.megahits.com/lees Show starts at 10pm. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:48:27 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: Happy Birthday John L/Ambassadorship challenge Message-ID: <9gbbj1$hoa$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C0F4E9.746AFDA0 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Consider this a coup, my delusional friend. I demand you resign your = post before I start taking hostages. Shaun LEGITIMATE and DISENFRANCHISED Ambassador to the People's Republic of = Utah Jennifer Russell-Fenus wrote in message = news:LAW2-F115FnwpGR881N00006e2c@hotmail.com... Jen OFFICIAL Ambassador to The People's Republic of Utah -------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C0F4E9.746AFDA0 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Consider this a coup, my delusional = friend.  I=20 demand you resign your post before I start taking hostages.

Shaun
LEGITIMATE and DISENFRANCHISED = Ambassador to the=20 People's Republic of Utah
Jennifer Russell-Fenus <batmanusdmychina@hotmail.com= >=20 wrote in message news:LAW2-F115FnwpG= R881N00006e2c@hotmail.com...
Jen
OFFICIAL Ambassador to The People's Republic of Utah

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C0F4E9.746AFDA0-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:58:31 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Message-ID: ...has been updated. ÁÁI have officially closed the Pennsylvania election and, with a lead of 2 votes to 0 to 0, Dylan Flipse, the Incumbent, has been reelected. Congrats to him. :) We still have one election running - that of Missouri. Hop on over to http://www.nmt.edu/~refund/ambassador.html and click on the Missouri link to send me your vote. The Utah situation isn't really a bid for election so much as a military action, so I'll leave that up to them. New Mexico will remain neutral, in the interests of peace. :) Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:06:47 -0400 From: "Bill Seybolt" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Message-ID: If no one has claimed it, I would like to take the TMBG Ambassador of Georgia. I know it will take an enormous amount of time and energy (none of which I have). But, I will take it, nonetheless. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:49:15 -0500 From: "NetGuy" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Ambassador page... Message-ID: <9gc7s0$1v4v$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Media Land Nicholas Wolf wrote in message news:OBEJKCONOOCJPIKHLPGIAEJACBAA.refund@nmt.edu... New > Mexico will remain neutral, in the interests of peace. :) That Is a releif! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-15 ******************************