Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 2 Saturday, 2 June 2001 Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG - In the UK! Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassador TMBG: bizarre mono puff "hearing" TMBG: Re: TMBG - In the UK! Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador foo... Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador Re: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador foo... TMBG: Giants in the UK! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Message-ID: <200106010715.f517F0337443@ussenterprise.ufp.org> *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ÁÁThis notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list ÁÁFollow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list ÁÁTo send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. ÁÁIMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT ÁÁWhen you send a message to the list you are sending ÁÁmessages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your ÁÁmessage is one that hundreds of people need to read. ÁÁDo not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not ÁÁsend messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold ÁÁprivate conversations in private e-mail. Sending ÁÁmessages that the list administrator deems off topic ÁÁwill result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites ÁÁThe unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:59:05 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: TMBG: TMBG - In the UK! Message-ID: I can't believe this! The two Johns in the UK and I never knew! Can anyone enlighten us about who Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley are? Hope they enjoyed their visit - we enjoyed having them! Richard ----- Original Message ----- From: TMBG-Announce To: Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:25 PM Subject: John Flansburgh here. June Unlimited lands on the 9th Hey everyone! Just wanted to tell you the June issue of They Might be Giants Unlimited at EMusic is available on June 9th. Pardon the slight delay, but we just got back from the UK with the final master of "Mink Car" under our arms. We were mixing with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley (of "Birdhouse In Your Soul" fame) and are happy to report that the June issue will preview some of our work there, as well as a spontaneously written song captured on John Linnell's video camera called "Tender Is The Mind." The issue will also include a great track from the crypt, plus some recent live tracks. > We have a very limited concert schedule this summer (as we go into training for the big fall tour), but these are the dates- > > 6/8 Fairfax, VA Celebrate Fairfax Festival > 6/27 Newport, RI Newport Sunset Music Festival > 6/28 Nashville, TN Riverfront Park > 6/29 Atlanta, GA 99X Festival > 9/15 Portland, OR Reed College > _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call 01285 884400. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 11:21:37 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassador Message-ID: May I please nominate myself to be you esteemed United Kingdom Ambassador. I thank you in advance Richard Hilton P.S is anyone going to do T-Shirts?! >>> 01/06/01 04:24:30 >>> In a message dated 5/31/01 4:57:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, refund@nmt.edu writes: > Hey, great work! ..If its not too much trouble, I would like to be Special TMBG Caribbean AttachI. I have spread TMBG to Puerto Rico as well as at least three virgin islands. Mario _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call 01285 884400. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call 01285 884400. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:01:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Jenn Scagel Subject: TMBG: bizarre mono puff "hearing" Message-ID: So i was watching Carrie 2 last night (horrible movie) and was shocked and happy to hear a MonoPuff song playing in one of the scenes when a bunch of them are in a car! I heard it and though "gee, that sounds like flansy" and then had to wait an hour to see the credits and find out if it were so - and it was. truly bizarre. jenn ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:45:18 -0400 From: johawny Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG - In the UK! Message-ID: <3B178E5E.65479733@circapress.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > Can anyone enlighten us about who Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley are? They're big shot producers who, in their early-80's heyday, worked with Elvis Costello (on Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World) and Madness (pretty much their whole career), and went on to produce some songs from Flood (Birdhouse, Istanbul, Racist Friend, and We Want a Rock). Plus... Alan Winstanley, I believe, mixed Apollo 18. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:39:54 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador foo... Message-ID: <287211960@sterl.com> Mario sez: > I have spread TMBG to Puerto Rico as well as at least three virgin islands. You'd better watch out with that, they'll revoke your passport. You're supposed to get tested for things like that. Karin H Special Envoy to the ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** Contingent of the Expo 67 Liberation Front ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:16:23 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador Message-ID: <2415294337@sterl.com> Richard Hilton sez: >P.S is anyone going to do T-Shirts?! The hell with the T-shirts, when am I getting my diplomatic plates, so I can double-park outside the Bowery Ballroom with the diplomatic immunity befitting my position??!!?? %) Karin H Special Envoy to the ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** Contingent of the Expo 67 Liberation Front ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:19:00 EDT From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: Re: Re[2]: NON-TMBG: Ambassador foo... Message-ID: <<<> I have spread TMBG to Puerto Rico as well as at least three virgin islands. You'd better watch out with that, they'll revoke your passport. You're supposed to get tested for things like that. Karin H>>>>> Ive had all my shots and I always wear protection!!! Last year, I was lucky enought to rent a large boat with some friends and we traveled the US an British Virgin Islands ..I had brought along like 4 cdr mixes of TMBG to leave with of the friends that went on the trip with me..Instead, I ended up leaving them at these little out of the way bars all around the BVI's..so if you are ever in The Sand Dollar bar in the island of Jost Van Dyke and you heard the Joshua mix of the Worlds Adress, THAT WAS ME!! Same goes for Stanley's Welcome Bar in Tortola... Mario... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:09:35 +0100 From: "Al" Subject: TMBG: Giants in the UK! Message-ID: <003501c0eabd$a6a4a360$c23e893e@005282020097> So, If TMBG are mixing/producing Mink Car in the UK. Does this mean there is a chance of the Johns Touring in the UK? Also What is the story with the Pizza Hut thing. Have they got the permission or not? The reason I ask is on the Radio today I heard the radio advert. One of the lines goes something like this "Look at the crust dad" "Yeah we dont have to rip it off anymore". I forget what exactly it was but there was irony (I thought) in the ripping off bit. AL ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-2 *****************************