Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 20 Wednesday, 20 June 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: mp3 files TMBG: Re: New York City show coming up, being filmed for the documentary TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head TMBG: Lately I've heard... Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... TMBG: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Goodness TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Goodness Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:32:47 -0700 From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Subject: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: Bryce sayeth: >Okay, having heard the "quiet version" they performed at the Bowery >Ballroom on >April 30, I have to say this June Unlimited version was very >dissatisfying. The >instrumentation from the Long Tall Weekend version, now reused, sounded much >better with the original screaming vocals. To mellow out the song, it wasn't >enough to redo the vocals, they need to redo the whole thing. I *really* hope >they do, if they're putting this on Mink Car. Why are they putting this on Mink Car? I mean, if we're going back to LTW, why not Reprehensible? Or Older for that matter? (OK, I know, MitM soundtrack) While we're on the subject, does anyone else around here think No Answer is an absolutely amazing song that should be re-recorded TOMORROW and go on Mink Car? Maybe it could take the place of one of the Doughty "songs". (grin) PZ p.s. Lest we forget Careless Santa... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:11:38 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: <200106191411.f5JEBnP62156@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 6/19/01 2:32:47 AM, pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us wrote: >Why are they putting this on Mink Car? I mean, if we're going back >to LTW, why not Reprehensible? Or Older for that matter? (OK, I >know, MitM soundtrack) actually, Older will be on it too. >While we're on the subject, does anyone else around here think No >Answer is an absolutely amazing song that should be re-recorded >TOMORROW and go on Mink Car? Maybe it could take the place of one of >the Doughty "songs". (grin) why tomorrow? why not today? -- John David Crafton TMBG Ambassador to the State of Louisiana _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:39:36 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:45:12 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: <11b.7dc238.2860bf78@aol.com> In a message dated 6/19/2001 10:40:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, aceduke@hotmail.com writes: > Actually, it probably won't. They haven't mentioned putting it on the new > Yes, they have, on www.theymightbegiants.com: NEW ALBUM OUT SEPTEMBER 11th Yes, yes, yes- They Might Be Giants' first studio album in five years will be out mid-September on Restless Records. Of course, the album will be hit-packed, and include "Bangs," "I've Got A Fang," "Cyclops Rock," "Finished With Lies," "It's So Loud In Here," "Yeh Yeh," "Another First Kiss," "My Man," "She Thinks She's Edith Head," "Older," and many other new songs and current show favorites. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:50:12 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: New York City show coming up, being filmed for the Message-ID: <001501c0f81f$20a60640$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> documentary Just out of curiosity, how do you know the director? Is he a friend or something? Is there anything you know about the documentary that you can tell us all here on the mailing list? I don't know about you guys, but I'm really curious about the whole thing. It seems like it should be pretty neat. Jon Jenkins ----- Original Message ----- From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" To: Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 4:55 PM Subject: TMBG: New York City show coming up, being filmed for the documentary > I was just talking to AJ Schnack, the director of the upcoming TMBG > documentary who told me that soon a NYC show will be announced - a show that > is being scheduled for late July or early August specifically to be filmed > for his production. He said the place/day has not been decided yet, but keep > on the lookout for more info. He also mentioned that there may be some sort > of audience participation during the show. See you there!! > > -Mike > www.theymightbegiants.org > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:07:31 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: <3B2F94E3.10A734DA@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us wrote: > > Bryce sayeth: > > >Okay, having heard the "quiet version" they performed at the Bowery > >Ballroom on > >April 30, I have to say this June Unlimited version was very > >dissatisfying. The > >instrumentation from the Long Tall Weekend version, now reused, sounded much > >better with the original screaming vocals. To mellow out the song, it wasn't > >enough to redo the vocals, they need to redo the whole thing. I *really* hope > >they do, if they're putting this on Mink Car. > > Why are they putting this on Mink Car? I mean, if we're going back > to LTW, why not Reprehensible? Or Older for that matter? (OK, I > know, MitM soundtrack) Because, as they said when LTW came out, Edith Head and Older were merely previews from the upcoming album, in stores fall of '99.... > While we're on the subject, does anyone else around here think No > Answer is an absolutely amazing song that should be re-recorded > TOMORROW and go on Mink Car? Maybe it could take the place of one of > the Doughty "songs". (grin) Who says they haven't already? I wouldn't be at all surprised either way. And I think if it's not going to be on Mink Car, it will be a very good candidate for TMBG Unlimited. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:39:59 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Message-ID: Hi all, Lately I hear everyone taking about "Mink Car" and the unlimited files but does anyone know whats up with "NO!"? I havent heard a release date, record label, or anything recently for that matter. dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:43:33 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Message-ID: Sadly, it was recently reported on alt.music.tmbg that the deal with Sony Wonder to release No! fell through, so it is once again without a label. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:57:51 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Message-ID: <3B2FA0AF.608CFF38@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Clown Town is *not* going to be on No!. -scratch "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > Oh yea. No. I forgot about that. I heard one of the UnLtd tracks that were > supposed to be on No called Clown Town. I listened to it and I couldn't > believe they wanted to put that on a Children's album. It was very dark and > almost freaky. > > At 11:39 AM 6/19/2001, you wrote: > >Hi all, > > > > Lately I hear everyone taking about "Mink Car" and the unlimited files > > but does anyone know whats up with "NO!"? I havent heard a release date, > > record label, or anything recently for that matter. > > > >dan > >_________________________________________________________________ > >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:08:11 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lately I've heard... Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010619120436.00a98768@mail.aviationpage.com> Hmm... That's good. I couldn't imagine Clown town being on a children's album. I was kind of curious when I read on another site, talking about TMBG UnLtd, about how TMBG fans can preview unreleased songs, like Clown town, Don't Cross the Street, and No off of the soon-to-be-released children's album titled No. At 11:57 AM 6/19/2001, you wrote: >Clown Town is *not* going to be on No!. > >-scratch ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:57:26 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Goodness Message-ID: <4.3.2.7.0.20010619122709.02074f08@pop.cwru.edu> Time to lay some ambassadorship smack down. In this section, the author will ramble, before wrapping up in a tidy conclusion that does involve TMBG. Few months ago, I was sitting at the frat house watching VH1 (shaddup) and we were somehow stuck on/transfixed by/sucked into this pretty awful made-for-TV movie called Friends 'Til the End, starring your favorite and mine, Shannen Doherty. In addition to other worse than senseless things, part of the "plot" involves a band breaking up. In the aftermath, one of the band members, played by Mike Leffel, tries to convince Doherty's character that they should start their own band, just the two of them. The following dialog is...approximated at best, but you get the idea. Doherty - "You can't have a band with just two people." Leffel - "Tell that to *some band I've since forgotten*." Doherty - "Still. That's only one band" Me (Yelling at the TV) - "Tell that to They Might Be Giants!" Leffel - "How about They Might Be Giants?" Pretty much all parties involved were rather stunned. Doherty's character agreed to be in the band, pretty sure TMBG was the clincher there. Everyone else in the room was amazed that I'd come up with that without having seen the movie before. Her agreeing to be in the band was sort of a problem, because it meant she sang more. In which the author remembers old connections and finds new goodies http://www.emusic.com/aasearch.html?rtype=detail_art&id=12056 will pretty much take care of it as long as you're a TMBG Unlimited subscriber. Emusic has three of Cub's albums. They call them C.U.B., which I hadn't seen before, but whatever. I enjoy them from time to time, and you've gotta dig the band that wrote New York City. Dylan "Dig It" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com - www.flipse.com "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:30:13 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Message-ID: <3B3026D5.88C7A55F@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Goodness Would that be the same Mike Leffel who used to post here? -scratch Dylan Flipse wrote: > > Time to lay some ambassadorship smack down. > > In this section, the author will ramble, before wrapping up in a tidy > conclusion that does involve TMBG. > Few months ago, I was sitting at the frat house watching VH1 (shaddup) and > we were somehow stuck on/transfixed by/sucked into this pretty awful > made-for-TV movie called Friends 'Til the End, starring your favorite and > mine, Shannen Doherty. In addition to other worse than senseless things, > part of the "plot" involves a band breaking up. In the aftermath, one of > the band members, played by Mike Leffel, tries to convince Doherty's > character that they should start their own band, just the two of them. The > following dialog is...approximated at best, but you get the idea. > > Doherty - "You can't have a band with just two people." > Leffel - "Tell that to *some band I've since forgotten*." > Doherty - "Still. That's only one band" > Me (Yelling at the TV) - "Tell that to They Might Be Giants!" > Leffel - "How about They Might Be Giants?" > > Pretty much all parties involved were rather stunned. Doherty's character > agreed to be in the band, pretty sure TMBG was the clincher there. Everyone > else in the room was amazed that I'd come up with that without having seen > the movie before. Her agreeing to be in the band was sort of a problem, > because it meant she sang more. > > In which the author remembers old connections and finds new goodies > http://www.emusic.com/aasearch.html?rtype=detail_art&id=12056 will pretty > much take care of it as long as you're a TMBG Unlimited subscriber. Emusic > has three of Cub's albums. They call them C.U.B., which I hadn't seen > before, but whatever. I enjoy them from time to time, and you've gotta dig > the band that wrote New York City. > > Dylan "Dig It" Flipse > > Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com - www.flipse.com > "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part > that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't > thinking of" - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-20 ******************************