Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 21 Thursday, 21 June 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End TMBG: trading TMBG: Roadshow date? TMBG: Mike Leffel: movie star, humanitarian Re:TMBG: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusi Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Goodness Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Goodness Re: mp3 files (was RE: TMBG: UnLtd) TMBG: Re: Proposed TMBG site TMBG: Re: Proposed TMBG site Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head RE: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:46:28 -0700 From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End Message-ID: > >....this pretty awful >made-for-TV movie called Friends 'Til the End, starring your favorite and >mine, Shannen Doherty. In addition to other worse than senseless things, >part of the "plot" involves a band breaking up. In the aftermath, one of >the band members, played by Mike Leffel.... >Dylan "Dig It" Flipse > >Goodness >Would that be the same Mike Leffel who used to post here? > >-scratch Internet Movie Database has absolutely no record of anyone named Mike Leffel appearing in any film or television production. Are you sure you got the name right? Or maybe you dreamed it? PZ "perhaps when they awake, they will remember everything/ they'll think it was a dream, it will be forgotten then." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:20:02 -0700 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: trading Message-ID: <4.3.2.7.2.20010620000632.00acc220@pop3.xprt.net> Hi. I am interested in obtaining some more high-quality They Might Be Giants recordings to add to my collection. I have a fair amount of items that I can offer to dub for you in the quaint but time-tested high-end cassette format. I'm interested in live shows, radio appearances, really anything that sounds good that I don't already have. I'm willing to trade for cdrs as well, but unfortunately at this time I *do not have a cd burner*. I also will not sell any of the recordings I have for any reason whatsoever. If you email me off of the list, I will send you a list of what I have to offer. Thank you for your time. Kerry ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 04:47:01 EDT From: FreeMiniPops@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Roadshow date? Message-ID: <10c.188727f.2861bd05@aol.com> Can someone please tell me the date of the Roadshow performance in Hamburg, Germany? I'm pretty sure it was sometime in '92, but if you could let me know the day and the month, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! Alex "If this is the age of communication, how come I feel lost in isolation?" - Tommy Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:13:32 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusi Message-ID: <567212852@sterl.com> Dylan Flipse sez: >one of the band members, played by Mike Leffel, Time out, here. I'm old enough to the list to have heard **Many** Leffel refs, & new enough to the list to never have experienced him, but I've never heard a reference to Leffel-the-(even a bad)Movie-Star.... First q: Dylan, do you indulge in any mind-altering substances? Cause my first thought was "What an interesting hallucination !" Second q: If not, how likely is it that he originated the line, & they decided to go with it? Talk about subculture references. Too bad it was in a Shannon Doherty flick. Coulda been worse, though, could have been a Tori Spelling movie.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:52:00 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Message-ID: Goodness scratch: >Would that be the same Mike Leffel who used to post here? Yes and no. That is to say, yes, Dylan is referring to the Mike Leffel who used to post here, but no, he wasn't really in the movie. I guess Dylan hasn't posted enough recently for everyone here to realize this, but he mentions Mike in every post, usually in a context totally irrelevant to the REAL Mike Leffel. Incidentally, if anyone wants to know what Mike has been up to recently, check out . -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:53:52 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG : Friends 'Til the End / SLIGHTLY-TMBG : Emusic Message-ID: <4f.d4973c6.28621300@aol.com> Goodness In a message dated 6/20/01 10:52:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > Incidentally, if anyone wants to know what Mike has been up to recently, > Yes. I ran across Leffel on the message boards for a different webcomic (www.itswalky.com, check out yesterday's strip, haw haw) and was duly amused, since The Leffel was last on the list right before *I* jumped ship a while back. -hoop ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:45:20 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: TMBG: Re: Proposed TMBG site Message-ID: <9gr200$1793$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" wrote in message news:F272RBItJg04FeCEZK2000042a7@hotmail.com... > An idea that I have been throwing around for a little while is to make sort > of an annotated TMBG file, mentioning references in TMBG songs, as well as > just general information on them. If you have any submissions, ideas, or > general comments for this (or, for that matter, if you just want to tell me > why it's a dumb or unnecessary idea), let me know. <> This sounds groovy. Please allow me to point out a really good example of what another fan did for another artist, in the lyrics section of the Black Vault, dedicated to Frank Black (also covering Frank Black and the Catholics). http://www.levitated.net/fb/tLyrics.html He's actually done two really cool things here that could also be applied to a TMBG page. First, right along side the lyrics he has cool links for referenced or related photos, articles, external web pages, mp3 samples, and even a few cool examples of acrostics. Very cool. Second, he has developed something he calls the Black Book that is like a cross-referenced glossary of all the obscure word and phases that pop up in FB lyrics. I'm pretty sure he had originally developed something similar for The Pixies (the Pixies Vault?). Of course, Frank and the Johns are pals, so I'm sure it's perfectly alright to plunder all this guy's best ideas. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:53:20 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: Proposed TMBG site Message-ID: <3B310D40.7A97A4E3@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Yer Pal Paul wrote: > > of all the obscure word and phases that pop up in FB lyrics. I'm pretty > sure he had originally developed something similar for The Pixies (the > Pixies Vault?). http://www.levitated.net/pixies/ -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:20:49 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: PZickler: >Bryce sayeth: > >>Okay, having heard the "quiet version" they performed at the Bowery >>Ballroom on >>April 30, I have to say this June Unlimited version was very >>dissatisfying. The >>instrumentation from the Long Tall Weekend version, now reused, sounded >>much >>better with the original screaming vocals. To mellow out the song, it >>wasn't >>enough to redo the vocals, they need to redo the whole thing. I *really* >>hope >>they do, if they're putting this on Mink Car. > >Why are they putting this on Mink Car? I mean, if we're going back >to LTW, why not Reprehensible? Because the Johns don't recognize which of Their own songs are actually good? Or maybe because they can't think of anything else to do with "Reprehensible" (maybe the Johns don't agree, but I think that one's perfect as it is)? I really don't know. I kind of think that They shouldn't have put ANYTHING from Long Tall Weekend on Mink Car (if they have Mink Car OUTTAKES on Unlimited, then it's not like they were hurting for material), but they DID warn us before, and at least it looks like we'll be getting different versions. >Or Older for that matter? (OK, I know, MitM soundtrack) As someone else mentioned, "Older" WILL be on Mink Car. I hope it's a different version from the LTW one. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:29:00 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: <12e.5450a9.2862a7dc@aol.com> In a message dated 6/20/2001 9:21:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >Why are they putting this on Mink Car? I mean, if we're going back > >to LTW, why not Reprehensible? > > Because the Johns don't recognize which of Their own songs are actually > good? Or maybe because they can't think of anything else to do with > "Reprehensible" (maybe the Johns don't agree, but I think that one's > perfect > as it is)? I really don't know. I agree, I think "Reprehensible" may be one of the best songs Flans ever wrote. Intrestingly enough, it has actually just been reported on alt.music.tmbg that it will be on the British single for "Boss of Me." >> put ANYTHING from Long Tall > Weekend on Mink Car (if they have Mink Car OUTTAKES on Unlimited, then it's > not like they were hurting for material), but they DID warn us before, and > One thing that gives me hope that it will be a different version is that they *just* released the LTW one on the MitM soundtrack. I'm really hoping that they redid it like it was on the FS sessions version, with the cool round going at the end. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:43:24 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: <000601c0f9f3$90578d80$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> For the record, I always thought it was a Linnell written song also. Just sounds like his style of writing. jon jenkins > actually, I think Linnell wrote Reprehensible. there was some interview where > Flans talked about how Linnell sang it and his voice just didn't work for it. > I would guess that in most cases, when they write songs, they'll demo them to > each other, so presumably, they'd not have considered Linnell's voice for it > at all if he hadn't written it.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:41:42 -0400 From: Amy Greenlese Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: The Once and Future Edith Head Message-ID: > for the record, I always thought it was a Linnell written song also. Just > sounds like his style of writing. > > jon jenkins I always assumed Linnell wrote it because of the clarinet solo, which is just one of the reasons the song kicks so much ass. Amy :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-21 ******************************