Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 22 Friday, 22 June 2001 Topics: TMBG: Man it's so loud in here TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here TMBG: Interesting factoid Re: TMBG: Interesting factoid TMBG: Re: Interesting factoid TMBG: Re: Interesting factoid Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:28:16 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com> I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone said that it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my take on it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. Like Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:53:20 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <9gtjaf$281i$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone said that > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my take on > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. Like > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys on Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:18:25 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <5.0.2.1.2.20010621151655.00afc468@mail.aviationpage.com> Well you know what I mean. Just it sounds like a lot of songs that came out of the 80s. Speaking of 80s, eMusic.com has a compilation of songs from the 80's. Guess what is on it? Particle Man. Now correct me if I am wrong but the title cut even states that it is a brand new record for 1990, Flood. At 12:53 PM 6/21/2001, you wrote: >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message >news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone said >that > > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my take on > > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. Like > > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. > >Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys on >Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. > >YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:23:49 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <3B3273F5.A8748CFE@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Well, it was almost certainly written in the 80's, and possibly recorded then too. -scratch "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > Well you know what I mean. Just it sounds like a lot of songs that came out > of the 80s. Speaking of 80s, eMusic.com has a compilation of songs from the > 80's. Guess what is on it? Particle Man. Now correct me if I am wrong but > the title cut even states that it is a brand new record for 1990, Flood. > > At 12:53 PM 6/21/2001, you wrote: > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message > >news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > > > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone said > >that > > > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my take on > > > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. Like > > > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. > > > >Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys on > >Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. > > > >YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:00:46 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <9gu5ef$5mh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Furthermore, if no one told you during that whole Y2K thing, decades and centuries start on the 1 year, not the 0 year. So, 1990 was the last year of the 80's Shaun scratch wrote in message news:3B3273F5.A8748CFE@the-pentagon.com... > Well, it was almost certainly written in the 80's, and possibly recorded > then too. > > -scratch > > "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > > > Well you know what I mean. Just it sounds like a lot of songs that came out > > of the 80s. Speaking of 80s, eMusic.com has a compilation of songs from the > > 80's. Guess what is on it? Particle Man. Now correct me if I am wrong but > > the title cut even states that it is a brand new record for 1990, Flood. > > > > At 12:53 PM 6/21/2001, you wrote: > > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message > > >news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > > > > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone said > > >that > > > > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my take on > > > > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. Like > > > > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. > > > > > >Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys on > > >Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. > > > > > >YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:43:47 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <3B32A2D3.9CD1A2D9@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I don't know about that. I agree that 2000 was the last year of the twentieth century, but to me it makes more sense to say 1999 was the last year of the 1900's, for example. I could be wrong on that though. -scratch makebase wrote: > > Furthermore, if no one told you during that whole Y2K thing, decades and > centuries start on the 1 year, not the 0 year. So, 1990 was the last year > of the 80's > > Shaun > > scratch wrote in message > news:3B3273F5.A8748CFE@the-pentagon.com... > > Well, it was almost certainly written in the 80's, and possibly recorded > > then too. > > > > -scratch > > > > "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > > > > > Well you know what I mean. Just it sounds like a lot of songs that came > out > > > of the 80s. Speaking of 80s, eMusic.com has a compilation of songs from > the > > > 80's. Guess what is on it? Particle Man. Now correct me if I am wrong > but > > > the title cut even states that it is a brand new record for 1990, Flood. > > > > > > At 12:53 PM 6/21/2001, you wrote: > > > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message > > > >news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > > > > > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone > said > > > >that > > > > > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my > take on > > > > > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. > Like > > > > > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. > > > > > > > >Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys > on > > > >Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. > > > > > > > >YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:16:43 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Man it's so loud in here Message-ID: <9gu9t3$dd2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org All the eggheads I know agree that the last year of the 1950's, for example, was 1960. On the other hand, either way, it has nothing to do with the price of rice in China. Shaun scratch wrote in message news:3B32A2D3.9CD1A2D9@the-pentagon.com... > I don't know about that. I agree that 2000 was the last year of the > twentieth century, but to me it makes more sense to say 1999 was the > last year of the 1900's, for example. I could be wrong on that though. > > -scratch > > makebase wrote: > > > > Furthermore, if no one told you during that whole Y2K thing, decades and > > centuries start on the 1 year, not the 0 year. So, 1990 was the last year > > of the 80's > > > > Shaun > > > > scratch wrote in message > > news:3B3273F5.A8748CFE@the-pentagon.com... > > > Well, it was almost certainly written in the 80's, and possibly recorded > > > then too. > > > > > > -scratch > > > > > > "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > > > > > > > Well you know what I mean. Just it sounds like a lot of songs that came > > out > > > > of the 80s. Speaking of 80s, eMusic.com has a compilation of songs from > > the > > > > 80's. Guess what is on it? Particle Man. Now correct me if I am wrong > > but > > > > the title cut even states that it is a brand new record for 1990, Flood. > > > > > > > > At 12:53 PM 6/21/2001, you wrote: > > > > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote in message > > > > >news:5.0.2.1.2.20010621122620.00ab4c88@mail.aviationpage.com... > > > > > > I am listening to Man It's So Loud In Here and I remember someone > > said > > > > >that > > > > > > it sounded like a cookie-cutter techno something or other. Well my > > take on > > > > > > it is that it sounds more like an 80's One-Hit-Wonder style song. > > Like > > > > > > Cindi Lauper or something along those lines. And I really like it. > > > > > > > > > >Is One Hit Wonder a song style? Man-O-Nam! I'd like to see the guys > > on > > > > >Whose Line Is It Anyway tackle that one. > > > > > > > > > >YPP ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:50:15 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Interesting factoid Message-ID: <001d01c0fac6$11117800$10450241@wall1.pa.home.com> I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but new computers being shippied with Windows ME seem to have a copy of Older 'preinstalled' with them. I just got my new dell today and was blown away when, after opening up windows media player, I heard that now infamous older bass line. God bless techie dorks and their good taste in music. Jon Jenkins Proud owner of a 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 processor...and a really small monitor; haha. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:30:12 EDT From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Interesting factoid Message-ID: I'll be damned. I upgraded to Windows ME so out of curiosity I searched for files called "Older". It came up with "older.mid" in a dos folder I never knew I had till just now. Very interesting indeed. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:22:53 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: Interesting factoid Message-ID: <3B32D62D.CA0DDD78@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I don't see what difference that would make though. Just because they may not personally use WinME doesn't mean that it couldn't be included anyway. -scratch David Poppers wrote: > > This is sorta confusing because I'm pretty damn sure TMBG use Apple's > computers. > I'm pretty sure that the computer mentioned in the liner notes of THEN > (which caught on fire) was one of the original Macintosh computers. I > don't know if they've stuck to Macs since the 80's, though. > > > Jon wrote: > > > > I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but new > > computers being shippied with Windows ME seem to have a copy of Older > > 'preinstalled' with them. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-22 ******************************