Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 28 Thursday, 28 June 2001 Topics: RE: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car release date?? Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Re: TMBG: Linnell journal Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Re: TMBG: What happened to... Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! TMBG: Live Journals... Re: TMBG: What happened to... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Re: TMBG: nashville show Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Mink Car Advance Promo ... TMBG: Article in Creative Loafiing-ATL Re: TMBG: What happened to... Re: TMBG: What happened to... Re: TMBG: Mink Car track list Re[2]: TMBG: nashville show Re: TMBG: Article in Creative Loafiing-ATL Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Re: Re[2]: TMBG: nashville show Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Re: TMBG: Mink Car track list Re: TMBG: Live Journals... Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment TMBG: Missourah Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Re: TMBG: What happened to... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 Re: TMBG: Mink Car track list Re: TMBG: TMBG song = doomed? (was Yeah! Yeah!) Re: TMBG: TMBG song = doomed? (was Yeah! Yeah!) Re:TMBG: nashville show Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:31:29 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Message-ID: Jason Fickley: >Well, the point is I'd rather have something >previously unreleased than reworked versions of Older >and Edith Head. Hey, I agree. Still, it's only two tracks, and it isn't like they didn't warn us that they would be the next studio album. >Why not let the LTW songs be and release two new songs >instead? I think they should have, but it's not really a big deal. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:33:07 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car release date?? Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010626193246.00ac2808@mail.aviationpage.com> It's not today. It's not my birthday so why do you all lunge out at me At 07:25 PM 6/26/2001, you wrote: >It's not MY birthday.. woo-hooooooo! > > >Matt Brown wrote: > > > On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, scratch wrote: > > > > > September 11th. > > > > > > > My birthday. w00t! > > > > -=Matt Brown=- GaTech cs/phys undergrad | > > web: http://thm.askee.net/dynamic/ | "Every Day is a Good Day" > > email: thehangedman@death-star.com | -Zen Proverb > > AIM: THM42 ICQ: 10933909 | ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:43:02 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Message-ID: <9hbhaf$2u83$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I've heard Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Istanbul, Birdhouse, Particle Man on the radio on various stations here in Salt Lake, mostly during 107.5 flashback lunch thingy. X96 played Boss of Me regularly when the MitM soundtrack came out. They also play older stuff, usually later at night. Never in my travels anywhere else have I listened to any one station long enough to hear a TMBG song on the radio. Shaun Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:F203C4Vifda8sJGwTVf00005834@hotmail.com... > Bryan Hoerber: > >Boss of Me was played to death on Local TOP 40 crap stations like KROQ, > >KYSR (Star), and KIIS 102.7. Also KROQ played Dr. Worm sometimes. Sad to > >say but they have a better chance of making it onto the Dr. Demento show > >than any main stream station. > > Especially considering that they keep including "I've Got A Fang" on promos. > I mean, I'd love to hear that song on the radio (more so than "Mr. > Xcrement," certainly), but it probably has less chance of being played than > just about any of their other songs. (And what was that about TMBG not > wanting to be considered a novelty band?) > > Incidentally, what TMBG songs HAVE been played (regularly, not during > interviews with the band and such) on the radio? I don't mean just > recently, but throughout their entire career. I know "Ana Ng" reached > number one on college/alternative charts, and "Birdhouse In Your Soul" was a > really big hit in Britain. I think I've heard reports of "Snail Shell," > "Don't Let's Start," and "S-E-X-X-Y" being played occasionally, and the > kids' show on WXPN (Philadelphia) used to (and maybe still does; I haven't > listened to it in years) play "Particle Man," "Istanbul," "Birdhouse," and > "Why Does The Sun Shine?" (it was actually the first place I heard those > last two). Any other examples of TMBG songs in fairly frequent radio > rotation? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:46:40 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell journal Message-ID: <9hbhh9$2up1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Daniel A Kelley wrote in message news:20010626.213101.-681747.0.NormalLikeYou@juno.com... > hey, that's me! i am the ambassador to missourah, er, missouri! > > On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:00:24 -0600 "makebase" writes: > > > Gary > > > TMBG Ambassador to Missouri > > > ((Note: the ambassadorship to Missourah is, as yet, unclaimed)) You fight for ambassadorship, Gary. Don't let something like an existing, legitimate ambassador stand in your way. Sieze power any way you can! Shaun TMBG ambassador and advocate of usurpation of power ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:57:54 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Message-ID: <3B394BB2.3DE5B6D@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org They were on LTW as previews of the upcoming album. It was in the description on the emusic page and on theymightbegiants.com, and possibly also in the PDF liner notes. -scratch Jason Fickley wrote: > > Well, the point is I'd rather have something > previously unreleased than reworked versions of Older > and Edith Head. > > It just seems like they're dismissing the fact that > LTW was released. > > To me it's no different than if we were getting new > versions of (for example) Dr. Worm and S-E-X-X-Y > instead. It makes no sense. > > Why not let the LTW songs be and release two new songs > instead? > > And where's Thunderbird? :) > > --Jason-- > > --- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Jason Fickley: > > >I just wish they'd at least leave off the Long Tall > > >Weekend tracks and add some new songs. They were > > kinda > > >released already. > > > > They WERE released already, with no "kinda" about > > it. The versions on Mink > > Car will be different from those on LTW, though, so > > at least we're not just > > getting the exact same tracks. > > -- > > May the light shine upon thee, > > Nathan > > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at > > http://explorer.msn.com > > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:12:43 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: What happened to... Message-ID: <3B396B4B.1F7A9354@fruhead.com> Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I guess they wanted to do something different. I agree that the song is > pretty bad (although I've only heard it once), but isn't diversity part of > the appeal of TMBG? I'm sure some people will love it. I don't even think it's bad. I just don't think it sounds like anything John and John would do without the help of someone like Doughty. It's not their style at all. Not even remotely. > Um, they were on Long Tall Weekend. I realize that you know this already, > but I don't think the songs that only appeared on there count as "gone > forever" any more than songs than only appeared on Lincoln, Flood, Apollo > 18, etc. (Is "Narrow Your Eyes" really gone forever?) LTW doesn't count because it's low quality. I want album quality versions of Certain People, Reprehensible, and On the Drag. Plus it's rather hard to come by on CD.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:15:18 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Message-ID: <3B396BE6.E3EDF41@fruhead.com> Jason Fickley wrote: > And where's Thunderbird? :) while we're at it, where's Careless Santa? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:12:51 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.0.20010626231217.00a5d538@mail.aviationpage.com> It's in my car on my Mono Puff - Unsupervised CD At 01:15 AM 6/27/2001 -0400, you wrote: >Jason Fickley wrote: > > > And where's Thunderbird? :) > >while we're at it, where's Careless Santa? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:20:08 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.0.20010626231850.00a5b3a0@mail.aviationpage.com> I played my friend Yeah! Yeah! and I got him hooked on TMBG with Ana Ng. His thoughts on Yeah! Yeah! - "Gidget goes to hell" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:40:19 +1000 From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: Live Journals... Message-ID: That thing cant be real can it?? Gosh, I dont know much about John and John but I never thought they were like that!!! Geeezzzzz "**Bounding and leaping... Like a fearless deer!**" Mascara E-card _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:42:09 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: What happened to... Message-ID: <3B398041.2ACE895@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org lawrence solomon wrote: > > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > I guess they wanted to do something different. I agree that the song is > > pretty bad (although I've only heard it once), but isn't diversity part of > > the appeal of TMBG? I'm sure some people will love it. > > I don't even think it's bad. I just don't think it sounds like anything John > and John would do without the help of someone like Doughty. It's not their > style at all. Not even remotely. > > > Um, they were on Long Tall Weekend. I realize that you know this already, > > but I don't think the songs that only appeared on there count as "gone > > forever" any more than songs than only appeared on Lincoln, Flood, Apollo > > 18, etc. (Is "Narrow Your Eyes" really gone forever?) > > LTW doesn't count because it's low quality. I want album quality versions of > Certain People, Reprehensible, and On the Drag. Plus it's rather hard to come > by on CD.... On The Drag wasn't even on LTW, it was on WUFTM, which is available on CD (I don't know if the emusic promotion is still going but I've seen it at recent shows). Reprehensible is on the UK Boss Of Me single. Certain People is only available on LTW as of now, but since Reprehensible was apparently suitable b-side material, I guess it could show up on whatever gets released as a single here in the US. But if it does and Thunderbird doesn't... I'm going to revolt. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 04:59:45 -0400 From: "Bill Laird" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 Message-ID: <000b01c0fee7$84134610$5385c997@PANTSMACHINE> Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with everyone that Thunderbird NEEDS to be on the new album. I've never even heard it live, sadly. They've never played it at a show I've attended, for some reason (and I've been to more than a couple). Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? Even if it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. I mean, aside from the failure to include Thunderbird, and let's not forget Unreliable Narrator (heh), both of which have been said at various times to be on the "next album," it's still several months until the release of the record. I mean, I just don't know if I can swallow this thing as "for sure" at all. Even if it is, I'm reasonably happy with the track listing. I just hope there's a rerecorded "Bangs," "WUFTM," "Older" and "Edith Head" (NOT the Unltd version.. terrible!). Particularly WUFTM. The Live versions I've heard just had so much energy that the EP version lacked. In any case, it's a good record, and one I'd certainly buy if I weren't already getting it for free from Unlimited. And I can see them releasing another album in six months, just like Radiohead or XTC. I mean..five years.. no album. They've got to have a bunch of stuff we've never even heard OF yet. -Bill, The Last Great Flansburgh Fan _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:12:00 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 Message-ID: <9hc86d$il9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Bill Laird wrote in message news:000b01c0fee7$84134610$5385c997@PANTSMACHINE... > > -Bill, The Last Great Flansburgh Fan I doubt that. I have a friend that is quite the Flansburgher herself. Myself, I'm on the fence. Perhaps I'll make up my mind one day. Shaun, who likes his Flansburghers without pickles. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:44:47 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Message-ID: <3B39C72F.CB6F4A9B@uswest.net> Speaking of Ana Ng.. I put that song on a tape mix for my wife wayyyy back (ok..it was only 1995) when we were dating.... After that, it became 'our' song... Ambassador trivia... 'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan TMBG Ambassador to MN "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > I played my friend Yeah! Yeah! and I got him hooked on TMBG with Ana Ng. > His thoughts on Yeah! Yeah! - "Gidget goes to hell" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:50:17 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: nashville show Message-ID: <3B39C879.C8D1AF74@uswest.net> timeliness? Oooooooohhh, I get it, Paul. At first glance, I thought you were talking about more than one timeline. Once ir ealized where my eyes didn't go, I had a big laugh.. ha-HA! 'WttJ' Jim TMBG Amb to MN Daniel A Kelley wrote: > anyone? or would we all rather talk about peep shows and rant about why > we don't approve of tmbg's timeliness (sp?) of releasing an album? ;-) > > On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:31:49 -0700 Daniel A Kelley > writes: > > hey all, > > > > i'm heading to the nashville show this week, and was wondering if > > anyone > > had any concrete info on the show. i'm in st. louis right now, so i > > don't have access to local papers and such - before i came home for > > the > > summer, i was under the impression that it was a free show at > > riverfront > > park and they were playing with superdrag. the information i found > > here: > > > > http://nashville.citysearch.com/profile/11487178/ > > > > says otherwise.... or am i just reading it wrong? if you know > > what's > > going on with this show, please let me know, before i drive 6 hours > > for a > > big misunderstanding! > > > > thanks! > > daniel > > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:57:29 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Message-ID: <3B39CA29.4F3D7378@uswest.net> Back when I was in college ('87 - '91), I played TMBG usually on every radio show I did... Granted, the college station is only a 10-watt station, but the transmitter was located in town, so the city of Winona, MN heard it.. I'm not sure how many I may have pulled in...but i may have pulled in a few. I gave Them plenty of airplay.. How many points is that worth? "WttJ' Jim TMBG Amb to MN makebase wrote: > I've heard Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Istanbul, Birdhouse, Particle Man on > the radio on various stations here in Salt Lake, mostly during 107.5 > flashback lunch thingy. X96 played Boss of Me regularly when the MitM > soundtrack came out. They also play older stuff, usually later at night. > Never in my travels anywhere else have I listened to any one station long > enough to hear a TMBG song on the radio. > > Shaun > > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message > news:F203C4Vifda8sJGwTVf00005834@hotmail.com... > > Bryan Hoerber: > > >Boss of Me was played to death on Local TOP 40 crap stations like KROQ, > > >KYSR (Star), and KIIS 102.7. Also KROQ played Dr. Worm sometimes. Sad to > > >say but they have a better chance of making it onto the Dr. Demento show > > >than any main stream station. > > > > Especially considering that they keep including "I've Got A Fang" on > promos. > > I mean, I'd love to hear that song on the radio (more so than "Mr. > > Xcrement," certainly), but it probably has less chance of being played > than > > just about any of their other songs. (And what was that about TMBG not > > wanting to be considered a novelty band?) > > > > Incidentally, what TMBG songs HAVE been played (regularly, not during > > interviews with the band and such) on the radio? I don't mean just > > recently, but throughout their entire career. I know "Ana Ng" reached > > number one on college/alternative charts, and "Birdhouse In Your Soul" was > a > > really big hit in Britain. I think I've heard reports of "Snail Shell," > > "Don't Let's Start," and "S-E-X-X-Y" being played occasionally, and the > > kids' show on WXPN (Philadelphia) used to (and maybe still does; I haven't > > listened to it in years) play "Particle Man," "Istanbul," "Birdhouse," and > > "Why Does The Sun Shine?" (it was actually the first place I heard those > > last two). Any other examples of TMBG songs in fairly frequent radio > > rotation? > > -- > > May the light shine upon thee, > > Nathan > > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:59:43 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Mink Car Advance Promo ... Message-ID: <3B39CAAF.BD62D43B@uswest.net> ...ok.... i threw away the previous email....what am i buying here? the Brooklyn Bridge? cool... "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > Of course I have change. Do you want it? > > At 07:09 PM 6/26/2001, you wrote: > >ok....YOU (yes YOU) kill > >me.....BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAAAA...........! All I > >have is a $10. Got change? > > > >'wTTJ' Jim Mohan > >TMBG Ambassador to MN > > > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:12:29 -0400 From: "Bill Seybolt" Subject: TMBG: Article in Creative Loafiing-ATL Message-ID: Great article on the Johns in this week's Creative Loafing (southeast region weekly). Check it out. http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/vibes_feature3.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:00:07 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: What happened to... Message-ID: <3B39D8D7.5A14C6C2@fruhead.com> scratch wrote: > On The Drag wasn't even on LTW, it was on WUFTM, which is available on > CD (I don't know if the emusic promotion is still going but I've seen it > at recent shows). Reprehensible is on the UK Boss Of Me single. > Certain People is only available on LTW as of now, but since > Reprehensible was apparently suitable b-side material, I guess it could > show up on whatever gets released as a single here in the US. But if it > does and Thunderbird doesn't... I'm going to revolt. right right, I just remembered that (all the emusic promotions are running together, ack!), but the quality of the tracks on WUFTM is the same as the quality on LTW - mp3 quality. I don't think the songs were put on CD *then* converted to mp3s, but rather the other way around, which loses quite a bit. That's my main problem with them. if they had made the CDs from the actual recordings it would be fine, but as it stands right now, they don't live up to the quality of the recordings on their real albums. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:47:19 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: What happened to... Message-ID: Lawrence Solomon: > > Um, they were on Long Tall Weekend. I realize that you know this >already, > > but I don't think the songs that only appeared on there count as "gone > > forever" any more than songs than only appeared on Lincoln, Flood, >Apollo > > 18, etc. (Is "Narrow Your Eyes" really gone forever?) > >LTW doesn't count because it's low quality. I want album quality versions >of >Certain People, Reprehensible, and On the Drag. Well, I think the best solution to this would be to release a CD version of LTW, rather than to put these songs on other releases. Unfortunately, that doesn't look like it's going to happen, but maybe after emusic goes belly-up... -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:03:04 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car track list Message-ID: Bill Laird: >Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with everyone that Thunderbird NEEDS to >be on the new album. Yeah! Power to the 'bird! >I've never even heard it live, sadly. They've never >played it at a show I've attended, for some reason (and I've been to more >than a couple). I think they pretty much stopped playing it a year or so ago, and didn't even play it all that much when it was new. >Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is >fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? I think Operator Dot confirmed the track list, at least. Besides, not all of those songs have been on Unlimited. >Even if >it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. Didn't the Johns say something about having the "final master of Mink Car"? >I mean, aside from the failure to include Thunderbird, and let's not forget >Unreliable Narrator (heh), both of which have been said at various times to >be on the "next album," it's still several months until the release of the >record. I don't recall "Unreliable Narrator" ever being slated for release on an album. If that had been used as the title of the album, though, it probably would have appeared on there (if it ever existed, that is; the whole thing sounds suspicious to me). I think "Your Mom's Alright" WAS mentioned (and to radio stations, no less) as a song that would be on Mink Car, though, so its absence is even odder than that of "Thunderbird." >In any case, it's a good record, and one I'd certainly buy if I weren't >already getting it for free from Unlimited. I think most peope here would. >And I can see them releasing >another album in six months, just like Radiohead or XTC. Actually, there was more than a year between the two Apple Venus albums. All of the songs for the second had been written when the first came out, though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:05:40 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: nashville show Message-ID: <1322441268@sterl.com> Peep shows??? I must have missed that part, somewhere in the 40 bleedin emails waiting for me when I got to (ahem) work this morning. Seriously though, folks, the dude has a point here. Here's a guy looking for info on an actual, living, breathing TMBG show, can anyone multi-task away from the ongoing rantathon on possible, hypothetical, rhetorical album selections and the nebulous benefits or deficits thereof to maybe answer him?? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?? Do we have an Ambassador to TN? If so, here's your chance to shine... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: nashville show Author: Daniel A Kelley Date: 06/27/01 12:32 AM anyone? or would we all rather talk about peep shows and rant about why we don't approve of tmbg's timeliness (sp?) of releasing an album? ;-) On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:31:49 -0700 Daniel A Kelley writes: > hey all, > > i'm heading to the nashville show this week, and was wondering if > anyone > had any concrete info on the show. i'm in st. louis right now, so i > don't have access to local papers and such - before i came home for > the > summer, i was under the impression that it was a free show at > riverfront > park and they were playing with superdrag. the information i found > here: > > http://nashville.citysearch.com/profile/11487178/ > > says otherwise.... or am i just reading it wrong? if you know > what's > going on with this show, please let me know, before i drive 6 hours > for a > big misunderstanding! > > thanks! > daniel ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:05:17 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Article in Creative Loafiing-ATL Message-ID: Bill Seyboldt: >Great article on the Johns in this week's Creative Loafing (southeast >region weekly). Check it out. > >http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/vibes_feature3.html "Decidedly current groove-oriented fluorishes"? I thought Flans got that out of his system with Mono Puff. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:08:46 EDT From: Pahteeh@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Advance Promo - Talk about disappointment Message-ID: <126.98ccf0.286b42ee@aol.com> Alot of you seem to be forgetting that there ARE other TMBG fans out there. And they don't all necessarily have access to the internet. Believe it or not folks, NOT EVERYBODY IN THID UNIVERSE OWNS A COMPUTER. I myself happen to be one of these poor unfortunate souls. If it weren't for the fact that I work in a place with internet access (and supervisors who turn a blind eye) I would never have even been on this list, let alone been able to d/l LTW and WUFTM. I never would have heard of the song Thunderbird (which is one of my favorites, btw, and i am VERY disappointed that it might not be on the album.) Anyway my point is that for alot of these people, the songs that are from LTW, etc. are NEW. They've never heard of them. It's actually quite EXCITING for them to be able to hear these songs. In March I saw TMBG for the first time in my hometown (well it was my 4th tmbg show, but my first in Miami) and I saw alot of people there who were not familiar with the Unlimited/LTW/WUTFM tracks at all. I saw an old high school friend of mine at the show whose boyfriend is a fan, and he didn't know half the songs they played! I gave him a bunch of websites he could look up after the show. So, um, yeah. Not to sound preachy or anything. Just a reminder that not every single TMBG fan has heard all of these songs. Back to lurking. :) Some people wrote: [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] Well, the point is I'd rather have something previously unreleased than reworked versions of Older and Edith Head. It just seems like they're dismissing the fact that LTW was released. To me it's no different than if we were getting new versions of (for example) Dr. Worm and S-E-X-X-Y instead. It makes no sense. Why not let the LTW songs be and release two new songs instead? And where's Thunderbird? :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:33:01 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010627073227.00aa9028@mail.aviationpage.com> 'Our' song, the song I had my very first kiss to was Till My Head Falls Off At 04:44 AM 6/27/2001, you wrote: >Speaking of Ana Ng.. > >I put that song on a tape mix for my wife wayyyy back (ok..it was only 1995) >when we were dating.... After that, it became 'our' song... > >Ambassador trivia... > >'Welcome to the Jungle' Jim Mohan >TMBG Ambassador to MN > >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > > I played my friend Yeah! Yeah! and I got him hooked on TMBG with Ana Ng. > > His thoughts on Yeah! Yeah! - "Gidget goes to hell" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:33:09 From: "Lucas Thompson" Subject: Re: Re[2]: TMBG: nashville show Message-ID: Well, if school were in session I'd love to go to the show, but alas I am back home where They aren't playing. Now if only They and I could be there at the same time... ... anyways, I'd be interested in becoming the ambassador to TN, but I'm already the ambassador to Singapore since I was living there for a month while the posts were being handed out, and no one else was there to challenge me... >Peep shows??? I must have missed that part, somewhere in the 40 bleedin >emails waiting for me when I got to (ahem) work this morning. >Seriously though, folks, the dude has a point here. Here's a guy looking >for info on an actual, living, breathing TMBG show, can anyone multi-task >away from the ongoing rantathon on possible, hypothetical, rhetorical album >selections and the nebulous benefits or deficits thereof to maybe answer >him?? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?? >Do we have an Ambassador to TN? If so, here's your chance to shine... > Karin H _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:04:20 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Message-ID: In a message dated 6/27/01 10:33:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, alphafoxtrot@aviationpage.com writes: > My ex-fiancee and I, "our song" was NYC. or She's An Angel. Regardless, I can't fucking STAND to listen to either of those songs anymore. So I try to avoid attaching songs I really, really like to people I might wind up hating. -HX ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:31:09 EDT From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Live Journals... Message-ID: <85.c43ecb8.286b563d@aol.com> Okay, it might just be me, but I never knew that Linnell has a son. What is this about? And how old is this kid? I can't have been in the dark for that long! How terribly pathetic. Not to be nosey or anything, though *cough*. ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com "I wanna be a nonconformist like everybody else" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:39:08 -0500 From: "Gary Kilper" Subject: TMBG: Missourah Message-ID: <003c01c0ff27$b6739750$90169396@dra.com> There is a distinction between Missouri and Missourah. The people that call the state "Missouri" live in either St. Louis or Kansas City, while the rest of the state, incorrectly (but there's nothing wrong with that), pronounces it "Missourah." It's really terrible that state politicians that campaign pronounce the name of the state differently, depending on where they are speaking. Sickening.... That's why I always waste my votes for those races by voting for some random moron in the news that really doesn't deserve to be there (like John Rocker). Anyway, sorry Danny: Missouri is taken. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> From: Daniel A Kelley Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell journal hey, that's me! i am the ambassador to missourah, er, missouri! On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:00:24 -0600 "makebase" writes: > > Gary > > TMBG Ambassador to Missouri > > ((Note: the ambassadorship to Missourah is, as yet, unclaimed)) > > If your will is strong enough, it matters not whether your state is > claimed > or not. :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:23:13 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Yeah! Yeah! Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010627102215.00ab9568@mail.aviationpage.com> That's odd. Notice I used the Past tense 'WAS'. That was my ex-fiancee's and I song. But I can still listen to it. Maybe people who have songs that are from TMBG are doomed? At 08:04 AM 6/27/2001, you wrote: >In a message dated 6/27/01 10:33:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >alphafoxtrot@aviationpage.com writes: > > >>'Our' song, the song I had my very first kiss to was Till My Head Falls Off > > >My ex-fiancee and I, "our song" was NYC. or She's An Angel. Regardless, I >can't fucking STAND to listen to either of those songs anymore. So I try to >avoid attaching songs I really, really like to people I might wind up hating. > >-HX ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:22:44 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: What happened to... Message-ID: <3B3A1664.AB09D0C@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org lawrence solomon wrote: > > scratch wrote: > > > On The Drag wasn't even on LTW, it was on WUFTM, which is available on > > CD (I don't know if the emusic promotion is still going but I've seen it > > at recent shows). Reprehensible is on the UK Boss Of Me single. > > Certain People is only available on LTW as of now, but since > > Reprehensible was apparently suitable b-side material, I guess it could > > show up on whatever gets released as a single here in the US. But if it > > does and Thunderbird doesn't... I'm going to revolt. > > right right, I just remembered that (all the emusic promotions are running > together, ack!), but the quality of the tracks on WUFTM is the same as the > quality on LTW - mp3 quality. I don't think the songs were put on CD *then* > converted to mp3s, but rather the other way around, which loses quite a bit. > That's my main problem with them. if they had made the CDs from the actual > recordings it would be fine, but as it stands right now, they don't live up to > the quality of the recordings on their real albums. Are you sure? They sound higher quality to me (especially Rest Awhile), but I suppose it *could* be my imagination... -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:29:49 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-27 Message-ID: <3B3A180D.CEB9C542@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Bill Laird wrote: > > Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with everyone that Thunderbird NEEDS to > be on the new album. I've never even heard it live, sadly. They've never > played it at a show I've attended, for some reason (and I've been to more > than a couple). They teased me with it at a soundcheck with the doors shut, I could just barely hear it. > Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is > fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? Even if > it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. According to Dot it is both real and finalized, except they're considering removing one track. > I > mean, aside from the failure to include Thunderbird, and let's not forget > Unreliable Narrator (heh), both of which have been said at various times to > be on the "next album," it's still several months until the release of the > record. I mean, I just don't know if I can swallow this thing as "for sure" > at all. Even if it is, I'm reasonably happy with the track listing. I just > hope there's a rerecorded "Bangs," "WUFTM," "Older" and "Edith Head" (NOT > the Unltd version.. terrible!). Particularly WUFTM. The Live versions I've > heard just had so much energy that the EP version lacked. Someone already said which songs were re-recorded, and Edith Head and WUFTM unfortunately were not. > In any case, it's a good record, and one I'd certainly buy if I weren't > already getting it for free from Unlimited. And I can see them releasing > another album in six months, just like Radiohead or XTC. I mean..five > years.. no album. They've got to have a bunch of stuff we've never even > heard OF yet. I'd like them to as well, but I don't see it happening. > -Bill, The Last Great Flansburgh Fan So, umm... are you saying I'm not great? -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:31:49 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car track list Message-ID: <3B3A1885.B2BD0D66@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Actually, there was more than a year between the two Apple Venus albums. > All of the songs for the second had been written when the first came out, > though. That was all due to slippage though. Wasn't it originally scheduled for October or November? -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:52:07 -0400 From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG song = doomed? (was Yeah! Yeah!) Message-ID: >That's odd. Notice I used the Past tense 'WAS'. That was my ex-fiancee's >and I song. But I can still listen to it. >Maybe people who have songs that are from TMBG are doomed? Hmm, that could be...my fiance and I don't have a specific TMBG song, but we're proof that They promote love and happiness, because the only reason we met was through TMBG. Now, what songs would be good to play at the reception? Amy :) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:20:49 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG song = doomed? (was Yeah! Yeah!) Message-ID: Now, what songs would be good to play at the reception? First Kiss? :D Know this, if I *ever* get married, we're SO playing some Dropkick Murphys, Reel Big Fish, and Big D & the Kids Table at the reception. Any girl who would say otherwise? I wouldn't fuckin' marry. -HX ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:00:06 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Giants Radio Waves Message-ID: <9hde2v$1mk5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org You, my friend, obviously listen to 107.5 far more than I do. X96 is my station. Anyway, I also heard them on 98.7 once (don't ask me why I was listening to that, I was in someone else's car). When did they do away with the Flashback lunch? I used to love 107.5 when I worked at my last job, because my breaks occurred during the Flashback Lunch and Who Wants to be an Italian Millionaire. Anyway, you have outclassed me here. If we met in person, I would surrender my sword to you. In lieu of that, I hereby abdicate my throne as Ambassador to Utah, People's Republic of, and recognize yourself as the sole, legitimate TMBG Ambassador to the Great State of Utah. You rock. I live to serve you and the Johns. Shaun, Prominent TMBG Citizen in Utah with no further claim to ambassadorship BTW, you wouldn't have a recording of either of the TMBG End Zone appearances, would you? Jennifer Russell-Fenus wrote: The End plays Boss of Me quite regularly-it was in the Top Five at Ten for about 3 weeks in a row. All the below older songs I have heard as well. Flashback lunch doesn't exist anymore, now it is Kari's Karaoke Lunch, where you have to sing your request. The Johns did a promo for that-"Karaokeeee lunch, karaokeeee dinnn-er". Request a TMBG song and she may play the promo again (801-4,5 or 670-1075. I only heard it once, but I don't always get to listen to the radio at that time of the day. They will also play songs they did Live In The End Zone from their January performance at the studio (which I was at-SO Cool!) Jen Ambassador of Utah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:29:03 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: scratch: > > Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is > > fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? Even >if > > it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. > >According to Dot it is both real and finalized, except they're >considering removing one track. REMOVING one track? Pardon my language, but what the bloody hell? It's already below average for a TMBG album in terms of the number of tracks, and they haven't given us a regular studio album in FIVE YEARS! Now, I'm not saying they OWE us a lot of songs (they can do what they want, after all), but what would be the rationale AGAINST giving us more songs? They presumably have a large backlog, and fans will probably have more of a feeling that it's worth the wait if they get a lot. (Do you know WHICH song they're thinking of removing? If it's "Working Undercover For The Man," I won't mind so much, since it's presumably the same version as the one on the EP that most of us already have. It's probably more likely to be the one song that even Unlimited subscribers haven't heard yet, though.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:53:10 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: > >REMOVING one track? Pardon my language, but what the bloody hell? It's >already below average for a TMBG album in terms of the number of tracks, >and >they haven't given us a regular studio album in FIVE YEARS! Now, I'm not >saying they OWE us a lot of songs (they can do what they want, after all), >but what would be the rationale AGAINST giving us more songs? They >presumably have a large backlog, and fans will probably have more of a >feeling that it's worth the wait if they get a lot. (Do you know WHICH >song >they're thinking of removing? If it's "Working Undercover For The Man," I >won't mind so much, since it's presumably the same version as the one on >the >EP that most of us already have. It's probably more likely to be the one >song that even Unlimited subscribers haven't heard yet, though.) >-- Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 minutes. But NO band would do that... _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:27:35 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: Jon Jenkins: >17 Tracks is A LOT of music...probably too much, actually. Not necessarily. That depends on how long the songs are. Besides, as I said before, it's below average for TMBG. Every TMBG studio album prior to Factory Showroom had at least 18. >I'd rather get >12 tracks of incredible music than 17 tracks with a bunch of really great >songs and a small collection of ones that bomb. And who said any of the tracks will bomb? Wouldn't you rather have 17 tracks of incredible music than 12 tracks of incredible music? True, a few of the songs mentioned here aren't so great, so I have no problem with them being removed, but a lot of songs doesn't necessarily mean some of them are going to be bad. John Henry had 18 tracks, but there are only two I don't really care for ("Why Must I Be Sad?" and "Spy," and even these aren't bad enough to achieve "bomb" status). If I may bring in some non-TMBG work, Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" album has 22 tracks, but I can't find any bombs on it. Of course, what constitutes a good or bad song is a matter of opinion, and, with more tracks, isn't it more likely that there would be something for everyone? The thing is, I can see some of the arguments for a shorter album. There's certainly something to be said for a cohesive package that you listen to in one sitting. If the album flows really well, I'd probably be willing to forgive the fact that they left some stuff off. TMBG has always struck me as a band that didn't make albums this way, though. Not that the songs on any particular album don't sound good together (they do, especially on Lincoln and Apollo 18), but the first five albums sort of established a reputation for putting a LOT of songs on an album. Maybe you can't hear all of John Henry on your drive to work or whatever, but who says you have to listen to the whole thing at once? I guess I have sort of an I-want-to-have-everything kind of mentality when it comes to TMBG songs, so I don't mind having a few duds on an album. >So who cares if they take off one track? After all, it's just a cd anyway It's the first studio album they've released since 1996, and, for all we know, it'll be the only one they release before 2010. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-28 ******************************