Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 29 Friday, 29 June 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? TMBG: Counterfit Fake...journals. Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? TMBG: Live Journals Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? TMBG: Album Sales Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Album Sales Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? TMBG: best tmbg song ever Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 Re: TMBG: Proposed TMBG site TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Re: TMBG: best tmbg song ever TMBG: errr... TMBG: Re: errr... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:33:50 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3A513E.2AD5764C@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Hmm... I just had a thought. Has anyone checked the promo for bonus tracks? -scratch Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Jon Jenkins: > >17 Tracks is A LOT of music...probably too much, actually. > > Not necessarily. That depends on how long the songs are. Besides, as I > said before, it's below average for TMBG. Every TMBG studio album prior to > Factory Showroom had at least 18. > > >I'd rather get > >12 tracks of incredible music than 17 tracks with a bunch of really great > >songs and a small collection of ones that bomb. > > And who said any of the tracks will bomb? Wouldn't you rather have 17 > tracks of incredible music than 12 tracks of incredible music? True, a few > of the songs mentioned here aren't so great, so I have no problem with them > being removed, but a lot of songs doesn't necessarily mean some of them are > going to be bad. John Henry had 18 tracks, but there are only two I don't > really care for ("Why Must I Be Sad?" and "Spy," and even these aren't bad > enough to achieve "bomb" status). If I may bring in some non-TMBG work, > Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" album has 22 tracks, but I can't find > any bombs on it. Of course, what constitutes a good or bad song is a matter > of opinion, and, with more tracks, isn't it more likely that there would be > something for everyone? > > The thing is, I can see some of the arguments for a shorter album. There's > certainly something to be said for a cohesive package that you listen to in > one sitting. If the album flows really well, I'd probably be willing to > forgive the fact that they left some stuff off. TMBG has always struck me > as a band that didn't make albums this way, though. Not that the songs on > any particular album don't sound good together (they do, especially on > Lincoln and Apollo 18), but the first five albums sort of established a > reputation for putting a LOT of songs on an album. Maybe you can't hear all > of John Henry on your drive to work or whatever, but who says you have to > listen to the whole thing at once? I guess I have sort of an > I-want-to-have-everything kind of mentality when it comes to TMBG songs, so > I don't mind having a few duds on an album. > > >So who cares if they take off one track? After all, it's just a cd anyway > > It's the first studio album they've released since 1996, and, for all we > know, it'll be the only one they release before 2010. > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:36:07 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: John Ferrer: >>REMOVING one track? Pardon my language, but what the bloody hell? It's >>already below average for a TMBG album in terms of the number of tracks, >>and >>they haven't given us a regular studio album in FIVE YEARS! Now, I'm not >>saying they OWE us a lot of songs (they can do what they want, after all), >>but what would be the rationale AGAINST giving us more songs? They >>presumably have a large backlog, and fans will probably have more of a >>feeling that it's worth the wait if they get a lot. (Do you know WHICH >>song >>they're thinking of removing? If it's "Working Undercover For The Man," I >>won't mind so much, since it's presumably the same version as the one on >>the >>EP that most of us already have. It's probably more likely to be the one >>song that even Unlimited subscribers haven't heard yet, though.) >>-- > >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no >reason to. Yeah, there's really no reason to think that, although I wouldn't mind it if they did. I also wouldn't mind if they took off "Bangs" (not because it's a bad song, but because I already have it on the McSweeney's disc), "Older" (yeah, it's a new version, but, really, it's not a particularly great song), and maybe something else that I can't think of right now. Still, I think a BETTER solution would be to leave these tracks on and add MORE stuff, but that might not be economically feasible. (I have a feeling that MONEY plays a significant role in this, after all.) Besides, if they take off a track I don't like, they might end up releasing that as an EP B-side, rather than something I WOULD like. I admit that my earlier post was pretty whiny. I'm sure the album will be great, regardless of how many tracks are on it. I guess I was just hoping for another album of John Henry length, and the Johns have dashed those hopes, and are now thinking of dashing them even further. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:44:21 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <9hdk6g$1teg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:F169VYp21opxTQ5Aqol000069d1@hotmail.com... > John Henry had 18 tracks John Henry had 20 tracks, and I agree with you on "Spy." It wasn't my favorite track, but JH is my favorite album. BTW, I thought that "Snail Shell" wasn't the greatest pick for the single off that album. In fact, I have questioned the pick of singles before. I think "Subliminal" or "Sleeping in the Flowers" would have been more radio friendly from JH. I also think that "Till My Head Falls Off" would have been a better choice for the single from Factory Showroom. But then, I'm neither a John, nor a record label exec. Shaun TMBG Citezen in Utah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:52:59 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <9hdkmp$1u4s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:F238wlMlCPbkccOQZVI000028d3@hotmail.com... > Yeah, there's really no reason to think that, although I wouldn't mind it if > they did. I also wouldn't mind if they took off "Bangs" (not because it's a > bad song, but because I already have it on the McSweeney's disc), "Older" > (yeah, it's a new version, but, really, it's not a particularly great song), > and maybe something else that I can't think of right now. Still, I think a > BETTER solution would be to leave these tracks on and add MORE stuff, but > that might not be economically feasible. (I have a feeling that MONEY plays > a significant role in this, after all.) Besides, if they take off a track I > don't like, they might end up releasing that as an EP B-side, rather than > something I WOULD like. > > I admit that my earlier post was pretty whiny. I'm sure the album will be > great, regardless of how many tracks are on it. I guess I was just hoping > for another album of John Henry length, and the Johns have dashed those > hopes, and are now thinking of dashing them even further. > -- Another great album of John Henry length would be divine. But then, a great album like Factory Showroom of similar length would be great too. As for which songs make it on an album and which ones don't, why do you think that is the case? One might think they are attempting to create a certain flavor or sound, which wouldn't allow them to just put on everything that hasn't yet been released. Or, they could be trying to compile a marketable collection of songs, an album that would have general appeal, rather than just satisfy song-crazy ultra fans from the internet. Or, they may have other plans for some of the songs that seem like obvious choices for the album. I have no idea why some songs make it and some don't Shaun ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:57:56 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3A56E4.72624D82@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org makebase wrote: > > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message > news:F169VYp21opxTQ5Aqol000069d1@hotmail.com... > > John Henry had 18 tracks > > John Henry had 20 tracks, and I agree with you on "Spy." It wasn't my > favorite track, but JH is my favorite album. > > BTW, I thought that "Snail Shell" wasn't the greatest pick for the single > off that album. In fact, I have questioned the pick of singles before. I > think "Subliminal" or "Sleeping in the Flowers" would have been more radio > friendly from JH. I also think that "Till My Head Falls Off" would have > been a better choice for the single from Factory Showroom. But then, I'm > neither a John, nor a record label exec. Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were expecting to release more singles... -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:03:28 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <9hdlca$1uvn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org scratch wrote in message news:3B3A56E4.72624D82@the-pentagon.com... > > Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only > commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers > and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were > expecting to release more singles... Really, I didn't know the other two were released as singles. Did they make it to CD5 release? I've never seen them on tmbg.com for sale. But, then again, heaven forbid you go to tmbg.com without the latest version of Flash. Shaun ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:09:24 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <9hdllf$1vg7$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Wait, I guess if the other two weren't "commercially available..." Never mind. makebase wrote in message news:9hdlca$1uvn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > scratch wrote in message > news:3B3A56E4.72624D82@the-pentagon.com... > > > > Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only > > commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers > > and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were > > expecting to release more singles... > > Really, I didn't know the other two were released as singles. Did they make > it to CD5 release? I've never seen them on tmbg.com for sale. But, then > again, heaven forbid you go to tmbg.com without the latest version of Flash. > > Shaun > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:10:12 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3A59C4.8417F2AE@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org makebase wrote: > > scratch wrote in message > news:3B3A56E4.72624D82@the-pentagon.com... > > > > Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only > > commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers > > and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were > > expecting to release more singles... > > Really, I didn't know the other two were released as singles. Did they make > it to CD5 release? I've never seen them on tmbg.com for sale. But, then > again, heaven forbid you go to tmbg.com without the latest version of Flash. AKA Driver was a 1 track, Sleeping In The Flowers was a 2 track with a radio edit. They aren't on TMBG.com because they were promos, but you can find them on ebay a lot. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:38:21 -0700 (PDT) From: "Rob C. - Canadian Ambassador" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <20010627223821.86224.qmail@web13804.mail.yahoo.com> >I mean, they could be going a long time with no >album and then giving us an >album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in >at under 30 minutes. But NO >band would do that... ...wait a minute, you mean Weezer!! That's what you mean!! You're talking about Weezer, right?! Well, am I right?? Am I?? I'm some smart, ain't I?? Robbie ===== I'll slap you in the mouth, I'm Neil Diamond! __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:48:09 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3A62A9.DBA74D40@fruhead.com> makebase wrote: > Another great album of John Henry length would be divine. unfortunately, that will never happen. they've said a bunch of times that they felt it was a mistake to make the album so long, because people don't tend to listen to one CD for a full hour, and that Flansburgh considers End of the Tour one of the strongest tracks on the album and was afraid it would just be forgotten. So odds are Mink Car, and other future albums, will, like Factory Showroom, be in the 40-50 minute range. but it's not time that makes the big difference - it's number of songs. Factory Showroom, I believe, is almost exactly the same length as Flood, and yet it has 6 fewer songs. the songs are much longer, which means there's less overall content, which, to me, was one of the disappointing features of it. and most people don't like or dislike just parts of songs - if you don't like a song, you'll skip it, and percentage wise, that's much greater on Factory Showroom than skipping one song on John Henry or even Mink Car. (basically, a song is a complete "unit.") -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:00:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell-Pierce Subject: TMBG: Counterfit Fake...journals. Message-ID: Okay, so the journals may be fake - but they might also be them deliberately writing things to make them look like they're fake and thus decieving the minds of non-believers out there. Me? I don't really care. It's kind of fun. And I can use my livejournal to promote my mailing list (non TMBG related, cause I just can't top this one... :) ), and ramble. And, really, shameless self-promotion and literary wanking's all I care about. That and lurking. Which I aim to do once more. :) Lurking Beth, who really oughta switch this to her excite account at some point. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:44:26 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010627174409.00ac6660@mail.aviationpage.com> Two words, Mono Puff At 01:53 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no >reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter >what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not >complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then >giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 >minutes. But NO band would do that... >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:51:37 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010627175130.00aac2e0@mail.aviationpage.com> Oh wow, last paragraph was probably reading more into a track than I thought possible. I never considered a song a "unit" before. That's what we have MP3 for. If you look at it that way get yourself a cheap MP3 Discman and burn all your TMBG albums into MP3 format on a single CDr. I think there is enough room for all the releases, a few singles. I did it. Then when one comes on that you don't like or are tired of, skip it, and randomly pull up one of the other 400-500 tracks on that CD. "they felt it was a mistake to make the album so long, because people don't tend to listen to one CD for a full hour" This is why the people that give surveys are scared of me. I listen to John Henry more than an hour, I listen to it for weeks! Seriously. When I pull out a CD it stays in my player in the car for a few weeks and I listen to it all the way through at least a dozen times. And I have to agree, EOTT is a strong song, but I doubt it will be forgotten by anyone who owns the album. At 03:48 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: >makebase wrote: > > > Another great album of John Henry length would be divine. > >unfortunately, that will never happen. they've said a bunch of times that >they felt it was a mistake to make the album so long, because people don't >tend to listen to one CD for a full hour, and that Flansburgh considers End of >the Tour one of the strongest tracks on the album and was afraid it would just >be forgotten. > >So odds are Mink Car, and other future albums, will, like Factory Showroom, be >in the 40-50 minute range. > >but it's not time that makes the big difference - it's number of songs. >Factory Showroom, I believe, is almost exactly the same length as Flood, and >yet it has 6 fewer songs. the songs are much longer, which means there's less >overall content, which, to me, was one of the disappointing features of it. >and most people don't like or dislike just parts of songs - if you don't like >a song, you'll skip it, and percentage wise, that's much greater on Factory >Showroom than skipping one song on John Henry or even Mink Car. (basically, a >song is a complete "unit.") >-- > lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com > "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." > -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:49:43 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3A8D37.3E2EF241@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > Two words, Mono Puff What do you mean? Both of their albums had more than 10 songs, and there was only two years in between. -scratch > At 01:53 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: > > >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no > >reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter > >what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not > >complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then > >giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 > >minutes. But NO band would do that... > >_________________________________________________________________ > >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:00:37 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010627190017.00aae0c8@mail.aviationpage.com> But if I remember correctly they are both really short. At 06:49 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: >"Bryan T. Hoerber" wrote: > > > > Two words, Mono Puff > >What do you mean? Both of their albums had more than 10 songs, and >there was only two years in between. > >-scratch > > > At 01:53 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: > > > > >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no > > >reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter > > >what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not > > >complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then > > >giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 > > >minutes. But NO band would do that... > > >_________________________________________________________________ > > >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:35:19 -0400 From: "Matt Breslin" Subject: TMBG: Live Journals Message-ID: Hi I am chimpoo *roar* I just joined the list today so I could post this. I don't know how much this has been discussed before, but I am writing to clear up things about the John Flansburgh live journal. The John Flansburgh journal is NOT REAL. I know this because I made it. I apologize to anyone who believed it, but I wasn't trying to trick anybody. The journal is so obviously fake I can't believe people took it seriously at all. I even already declared it fake on the news group. It was only intended to be read by about 5 to 10 people who were in on the inside jokes. I really have no idea how it got so out of control, considering I only showed it to 5 people. I also don't know who made the copy-cat band of dans and john linnell journals so I can't tell you anything about that. Anyway, to anyone who was fooled I apologize. You're welcome to keep reading the journal if you think it's funny, but if you don't just pretend it doesn't exist. Thank you. -chimpoo _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:59:30 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: scratch: >Hmm... I just had a thought. Has anyone checked the promo for bonus >tracks? I had thought of that, too. They might also throw on a bonus track for the final version that WASN'T on the promo. If there is one, however, it'll probably be just a short song or an oddity (witness "Token Back To Brooklyn," the Apes tracks, and, while it's not really TMBG, the hidden track on It's Fun To Steal), so don't count on "Thunderbird" or whatever being there as a hidden track. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:16:58 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: Shaun: >As for which songs make it on an album and which ones don't, why do you >think that is the case? One might think they are attempting to create a >certain flavor or sound, which wouldn't allow them to just put on >everything >that hasn't yet been released. That's a possibility, in which case not putting on everything makes sense. Is creating a mood really typical for TMBG albums, though? Apollo 18 seems to have a certain kind of feeling/theme running through it, and John Henry feels like the tracks belong together, but other albums (Factory Showroom, for instance) are really too diverse to have one mood or theme (not that this is a bad thing). If there IS a mood or theme to Mink Car, I guess we'll have to hear the whole thing before we can tell what it is. >Or, they could be trying to compile a >marketable collection of songs, an album that would have general appeal, >rather than just satisfy song-crazy ultra fans from the internet. Perhaps. Then again, do you really think "I've Got A Fang" or "Older" will have general appeal? I think they generally put on songs that they think sound good on the album, perhaps with a nod in the direction of marketability, but I don't know that that's the main factor. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:22:15 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: scratch: >makebase wrote: > > > > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message > > news:F169VYp21opxTQ5Aqol000069d1@hotmail.com... > > > John Henry had 18 tracks > > > > John Henry had 20 tracks, and I agree with you on "Spy." I meant to write that everything up through John Henry had AT LEAST eighteen tracks. > > BTW, I thought that "Snail Shell" wasn't the greatest pick for the >single > > off that album. In fact, I have questioned the pick of singles before. >I > > think "Subliminal" or "Sleeping in the Flowers" would have been more >radio > > friendly from JH. I also think that "Till My Head Falls Off" would have > > been a better choice for the single from Factory Showroom. But then, >I'm > > neither a John, nor a record label exec. > >Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only >commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers >and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were >expecting to release more singles... I heard somewhere that "Till My Head Falls Off" was a planned single, with "Hell Hotel" as a B-side. I don't know how accurate this information was, but I'm still hoping that we'll get "Hell Hotel" as a B-side on a single from Mink Car. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:25:40 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: scratch: >AKA Driver was a 1 track, Sleeping In The Flowers was a 2 track with a >radio edit. They aren't on TMBG.com because they were promos, but you >can find them on ebay a lot. Was there a remix of "Sleeping In The Flowers," or were the two tracks just the regular song and the radio edit? And what was changed for the radio edit? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:30:58 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: Lawrence Solomon: >but it's not time that makes the big difference - it's number of songs. >Factory Showroom, I believe, is almost exactly the same length as Flood, >and >yet it has 6 fewer songs. Flood, Apollo 18, and Factory Showroom all clock in at 43 minutes and some seconds. That isn't taking "Token Back To Brooklyn" into account, though, so I guess FS is actually about a minute longer than those other two. I don't know how long the pink album and Lincoln are. >the songs are much longer, which means there's less >overall content, which, to me, was one of the disappointing features of it. >and most people don't like or dislike just parts of songs - if you don't >like >a song, you'll skip it, and percentage wise, that's much greater on Factory >Showroom than skipping one song on John Henry or even Mink Car. >(basically, a >song is a complete "unit.") I agree with the percentage thing. A track you don't like stands out more on an album with less songs. On the other hand, I think you CAN like or dislike parts of songs. I think the recorder fade-out of "XTC Vs. Adam Ant" is pretty cool, even though I don't like the song very much. I like "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?", but it's a little on the longish side. I generally don't skip songs, though (unless I'm in a hurry to hear one particular song), so the skipping factor is pretty much moot for me. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:33:22 -0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Album Sales Message-ID: Hi all, Just a quick question for anyone who can answer. Does anyone know how many albums approx tmbg has sold and has Flood OFFICIALLY gone platinum yet? Also, what besides Flood is their best selling album. I would asume the Pink album but I'm not at all sure of that. Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:38:26 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AA6B2.2179298D@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > scratch: > >makebase wrote: > > > > > > Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message > > > news:F169VYp21opxTQ5Aqol000069d1@hotmail.com... > > > > John Henry had 18 tracks > > > > > > John Henry had 20 tracks, and I agree with you on "Spy." > > I meant to write that everything up through John Henry had AT LEAST eighteen > tracks. > > > > BTW, I thought that "Snail Shell" wasn't the greatest pick for the > >single > > > off that album. In fact, I have questioned the pick of singles before. > >I > > > think "Subliminal" or "Sleeping in the Flowers" would have been more > >radio > > > friendly from JH. I also think that "Till My Head Falls Off" would have > > > been a better choice for the single from Factory Showroom. But then, > >I'm > > > neither a John, nor a record label exec. > > > >Snail Shell wasn't the only single from John Henry, it was just the only > >commercially available single from John Henry. Sleeping In The Flowers > >and AKA Driver were radio singles. As for FS, I think they were > >expecting to release more singles... > > I heard somewhere that "Till My Head Falls Off" was a planned single, with > "Hell Hotel" as a B-side. I don't know how accurate this information was, > but I'm still hoping that we'll get "Hell Hotel" as a B-side on a single > from Mink Car. A new recording of it, or another Statue Got Me High EP? I read on a website somewhere that they re-recorded She's Actual Size during the Factory Showroom sessions, but I don't know how believable that is. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:40:27 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AA72B.8DFE7EE5@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > scratch: > >AKA Driver was a 1 track, Sleeping In The Flowers was a 2 track with a > >radio edit. They aren't on TMBG.com because they were promos, but you > >can find them on ebay a lot. > > Was there a remix of "Sleeping In The Flowers," or were the two tracks just > the regular song and the radio edit? And what was changed for the radio > edit? Just the regular song and the edit. An extra chorus was moved to the beginning, and the ending was shortened. There *may* have been something else I'm not remembering right now. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 04:08:09 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: scratch: > > I heard somewhere that "Till My Head Falls Off" was a planned single, >with > > "Hell Hotel" as a B-side. I don't know how accurate this information >was, > > but I'm still hoping that we'll get "Hell Hotel" as a B-side on a single > > from Mink Car. > >A new recording of it, or another Statue Got Me High EP? Either way. I kind of just want it out there, since it's the only demo tape song that has never been officially released in any form (well, unless you count the demo tape itself as a release). Simply putting the demo tape version on there would be cheap and simple. (Incidentally, does anyone know of the accuracy of that story about the TMHFO EP and "Hell Hotel," and, if it's true, was the song re-recorded? If not, it's kind of odd that they wouldn't have used it yet, since most of the FS Sessions backlog songs appeared on Long Tall Weekend.) >I read on a >website somewhere that they re-recorded She's Actual Size during the >Factory Showroom sessions, but I don't know how believable that is. A live version, or another studio version? Do we know for sure that that isn't what ended up on Severe Tire Damage? (Actually, this question would be pretty easy to answer; a drumming credit for Dan Hickey would mean it wasn't part of the FS sessions. I don't have the CD handy right now, though.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:14:39 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AAF2F.2C372CEA@fruhead.com> scratch wrote: > Just the regular song and the edit. An extra chorus was moved to the > beginning, and the ending was shortened. There *may* have been > something else I'm not remembering right now. wasn't it basically the live version? starts with the chorus, goes in to "tell my boss that I've been fired" immediately after the chorus following the second verse, skipping the instrumental verse? or is that *just* the live version? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:17:22 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AAFD2.BDDEE80B@fruhead.com> scratch wrote: > A new recording of it, or another Statue Got Me High EP? I read on a > website somewhere that they re-recorded She's Actual Size during the > Factory Showroom sessions, but I don't know how believable that is. my guess is no. the sessions tape leaked with enough blank space that if She's Actual Size had been recorded it would have been on there. (unless it was recorded at the same time as We've Got a World that Swings) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:21:33 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Album Sales Message-ID: <3B3AB0CD.56725B8B@fruhead.com> Dan Brosnan wrote: > Just a quick question for anyone who can answer. Does anyone know how > many albums approx tmbg has sold and has Flood OFFICIALLY gone platinum yet? > Also, what besides Flood is their best selling album. I would asume the > Pink album but I'm not at all sure of that. according to the RIAA website, Flood went Gold in 1993, but has not gone platinum. I don't know of any sites that list actual sales figures, but my guess would be that Flood is in the 900k range. I remember seeing something about Apollo 18 selling something like 200k, and John Henry doing slightly worse. I don't know how any of the more recent albums have done (I'd guess about the same or worse). As for best selling other than Flood, I'd say probably Apollo 18, despite its poor showing, simply because it did follow Flood on Elektra (and remember, Flood didn't go gold until 1993, which means people were still buying it for a year after Apollo 18 had come out) and they still had a bit of name recognition. although I know Lincoln sold extremely well for a non-major label release, but I doubt it's sold more than 200k. -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:27:27 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AB22F.94A3A0D8@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org lawrence solomon wrote: > > scratch wrote: > > > A new recording of it, or another Statue Got Me High EP? I read on a > > website somewhere that they re-recorded She's Actual Size during the > > Factory Showroom sessions, but I don't know how believable that is. > > my guess is no. the sessions tape leaked with enough blank space that if > She's Actual Size had been recorded it would have been on there. (unless it > was recorded at the same time as We've Got a World that Swings) The site specifically mentioned that it was absent from the bootleg tape... I really don't remember much more, I found the site years ago. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:30:15 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AB2D7.69867EAB@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org lawrence solomon wrote: > > scratch wrote: > > > Just the regular song and the edit. An extra chorus was moved to the > > beginning, and the ending was shortened. There *may* have been > > something else I'm not remembering right now. > > wasn't it basically the live version? > > starts with the chorus, goes in to "tell my boss that I've been fired" > immediately after the chorus following the second verse, skipping the > instrumental verse? or is that *just* the live version? No, the instrumental verse is there. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:32:29 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AB35D.439368EA@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > scratch: > > > I heard somewhere that "Till My Head Falls Off" was a planned single, > >with > > > "Hell Hotel" as a B-side. I don't know how accurate this information > >was, > > > but I'm still hoping that we'll get "Hell Hotel" as a B-side on a single > > > from Mink Car. > > > >A new recording of it, or another Statue Got Me High EP? > > Either way. I kind of just want it out there, since it's the only demo tape > song that has never been officially released in any form (well, unless you > count the demo tape itself as a release). Simply putting the demo tape > version on there would be cheap and simple. (Incidentally, does anyone know > of the accuracy of that story about the TMHFO EP and "Hell Hotel," and, if > it's true, was the song re-recorded? If not, it's kind of odd that they > wouldn't have used it yet, since most of the FS Sessions backlog songs > appeared on Long Tall Weekend.) That's all true. It'd be really interesting to hear them do it now, although I think it would lose something... > >I read on a > >website somewhere that they re-recorded She's Actual Size during the > >Factory Showroom sessions, but I don't know how believable that is. > > A live version, or another studio version? Do we know for sure that that > isn't what ended up on Severe Tire Damage? (Actually, this question would > be pretty easy to answer; a drumming credit for Dan Hickey would mean it > wasn't part of the FS sessions. I don't have the CD handy right now, > though.) I assumed it meant studio, since they've been doing live versions of it since it came out. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:34:28 -0700 (PDT) From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <20010628053428.44511.qmail@web13602.mail.yahoo.com> --- scratch wrote: > > > lawrence solomon wrote: > > > > scratch wrote: > > > > > Just the regular song and the edit. An extra > chorus was moved to the > > > beginning, and the ending was shortened. There > *may* have been > > > something else I'm not remembering right now. > > > > wasn't it basically the live version? > > > > starts with the chorus, goes in to "tell my boss > that I've been fired" > > immediately after the chorus following the second > verse, skipping the > > instrumental verse? or is that *just* the live > version? > > No, the instrumental verse is there. > > -scratch I own the promo but it's in another city right now so I don't have access to it. However, if I remember correctly, the edit starts out with the chorus - a capella. Immediately after the chorus the music kicks in and you hear "I've got a crush...", etc. --Jason-- __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:54:53 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: best tmbg song ever Message-ID: <000e01c0ff96$da35a560$10450241@mshome.net> Certain People I Could Name...best TMBG song ever! I don't know what it is about the song, but it just rocks so much. I listened to it about 5 times in a row before writing this e-mail and deciding it was the best tmbg song... What does everyone else consider to be the best (or their favorite) song by the johns? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:16:43 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <9hei77$2ueh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Mono Puff only went a couple of years between albums, and then the second album was as strong as the first, in my opinion. Are they done now, though? Is Flansburgh too busy putting out TMBG albums now? Bryan T. Hoerber wrote in message news:5.1.0.14.2.20010627174409.00ac6660@mail.aviationpage.com... > Two words, Mono Puff > At 01:53 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: > > >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no > >reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter > >what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not > >complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then > >giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 > >minutes. But NO band would do that... > >_________________________________________________________________ > >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:32:32 -0400 From: "Bill Laird" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 Message-ID: <000a01c0ff9c$1d603800$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE> >>Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is >>fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? >I think Operator Dot confirmed the track list, at least. Besides, not all >of those songs have been on Unlimited. Okay. Not to insult anyone, but I don't know Operator Dot, and I don't have any real information on whether or not she speaks for TMBG. Like I said, no offense to her, or anyone, but I didn't read when say that, and unless it's from the Johns, I wouldn't take it as gospel anyway. And all but one of the songs on the supposed track list has been released. Mr. Xcitement was on a sampler which has, in turn, shown up on Napster. The other song, Hopeless, Bleak Dispair.. well. If the CD is a fake (and, I mean.. nobody has it yet, do they?) then it's.. well.. fake. And if it's mp3s pressed on a CD, it could well be maybe one of the songs from, say, twistid's site renamed. Possibly a cleaned up Dial-a-song (No Answer?) or a Malcolm instumental. Not casting aspersions on anyone, but it'll take more than an ebay listing, a fake John Flansburgh livejournal, and a bunch of listees to make me swallow a track listing. It could go either way, but I'll decide it's so when a John says. >>Even if >>it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. >Didn't the Johns say something about having the "final master of Mink Car"? Well, for most bands when you have a "Final master" you have a bunch of songs that have been recorded more or less the way you want them. It's not necessarily ready to be pressed. I mean, the "final master" of Factory showroom included Reprehensible, On the Drag and a couple of others as I recall. I just can't really swallow that with the apparent support of Thunderbird (and there seems to be a lot of it), that they'd just ignore it in favor of the less popular Edith Head and I've Got a Fang. >>I mean, aside from the failure to include Thunderbird, and let's not forget >>Unreliable Narrator (heh), both of which have been said at various times to >>be on the "next album," it's still several months until the release of the >>record. >I don't recall "Unreliable Narrator" ever being slated for release on an >album. If that had been used as the title of the album, though, it probably >would have appeared on there (if it ever existed, that is; the whole thing >sounds suspicious to me). I think "Your Mom's Alright" WAS mentioned (and >to radio stations, no less) as a song that would be on Mink Car, though, so >its absence is even odder than that of "Thunderbird." Yes, Unrealiable Narrator was, supposedly, a song. It was mentioned by Flansburgh in a chat promoting Long Tall Weekend as "a song Linnell just wrote" which he considered "possibly the best They Might Be Giants song ever" and he suggested that it would be the title track for the new album, way back when. To my knowledge it has never been played live or released in any form, although "Im the Substitute" was misnamed "Unreliable Narrator" when it was released as an Emusic freebie. There, of course, was some debate, as to whether or not it was really misnamed, but it was generally agreed that 1) it was sung by Flansburgh and sounded like a Flansburgh-written song and 2) The title "Unreliable Narrator" made no sense as the name for that song. So, in theory, the song Unreliable Narrator still exists, just nobody but those close to The Johns have heard it, despite Flansburgh's apparent love of it. >>In any case, it's a good record, and one I'd certainly buy if I weren't >>already getting it for free from Unlimited. >I think most peope here would. I dunno, there's a lotta bitching. >>And I can see them releasing >>another album in six months, just like Radiohead or XTC. >Actually, there was more than a year between the two Apple Venus albums. >All of the songs for the second had been written when the first came out, >though. Well, yeah. You know what I mean. Bill, The (Second to) Last Great Flansburgh Fan _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:42:16 -0400 From: "Ana Ng" Subject: Re: TMBG: Proposed TMBG site Message-ID: Okay, so this post is some ten days late, but I was on a tour of Europe, so this is my first chance to read these. Sorry if someone has already said something along the lines of this; I haven't read all of the threads yet. Anyway; about the site. Sounds like a great idea. This may be considered duplicating information by some, but I suggest that we have chords on that site as well. I'm willing to do as many as possible (I'm a student with summers off; I have nothing else to do). I think I've found a few at TMBG.org that weren't exactly in the right (or, at least, that's what it sounds like to me), so I'll check and/or re-figure out the chords to all of their songs (or as many as possible) to ensure that we're not duplicating information here. Also, TMBG.org doesn't have any chords (or any information at all, for that matter) on any of the UnLtd tracks. I could include those, along with whatever else you fine people suggest that I'm unaware of. Good idea? Bad idea? Need some feedback here. Ondine, TMBG Ambassador from KY (718) 387-6962 They Might Be Giants Dial-a-Song service. Just a regular call to Brooklyn. Free when you call from work. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:43:49 -0400 From: "Bill Laird" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 Message-ID: <000e01c0ff9d$b0c51bf0$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE> >> Have we even determined whether or not that promo on ebay is >> fake (or, rather, some dude pressing unlimited tracks onto a CD-R)? Even if >> it is real, I have a hard time believing the track listing is finalized. >According to Dot it is both real and finalized, except they're >considering removing one track. Okay, it appears I'm the only one who has no idea how or why we believe everything Dot says. Once again, I'm not saying she's not a reliable source, just that there's no MORE reliable source than boys named John or Dan. >> I >> mean, aside from the failure to include Thunderbird, and let's not forget >>Unreliable Narrator (heh), both of which have been said at various times to >>be on the "next album," it's still several months until the release of the >>record. I mean, I just don't know if I can swallow this thing as "for sure" >>at all. Even if it is, I'm reasonably happy with the track listing. I just >> hope there's a rerecorded "Bangs," "WUFTM," "Older" and "Edith Head" (NOT >> the Unltd version.. terrible!). Particularly WUFTM. The Live versions I've >> heard just had so much energy that the EP version lacked. >Someone already said which songs were re-recorded, and Edith Head and >WUFTM unfortunately were not. Yeah, I read that, and I believe it as much as I believe the track listing. Which is, once again, not to say that I disbelieve it, just that The Johns have said nothing. >> In any case, it's a good record, and one I'd certainly buy if I weren't >> already getting it for free from Unlimited. And I can see them releasing >> another album in six months, just like Radiohead or XTC. I mean..five >> years.. no album. They've got to have a bunch of stuff we've never even >> heard OF yet. >I'd like them to as well, but I don't see it happening. Moreso than in the past, anyway, without meddling Elektra to whine about "market saturation." ("aww.. Elektra fucked us again." -John Flansburgh, 1996, the first time I met him, on why Superfueled Freaksickle didn't come out) >> -Bill, The Last Great Flansburgh Fan >So, umm... are you saying I'm not great? Yes. Okay, no There's just a lot of Flans-hate. :) -B _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:46:47 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #42-28 Message-ID: <9hek29$30r2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Bill Laird wrote in message news:000a01c0ff9c$1d603800$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE... > sampler which has, in turn, shown up on Napster. The other song, Hopeless, Speaking of Napster, I have a question. When I was at my last job, I was lucky enough to be able to listen to music as I worked, so I recorded selected tracks from all of my CDs as mp3s on my hard drive. Napster, as I understand it, searches its members hard drives for the mp3 requested and downloads from the computer with the best connection. So, if someone at my work on the same computer network had Napster on their computer, not mine, would people have been able to get the mp3s off my hard drive? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:48:22 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Is the track list final? Message-ID: <3B3AD336.5BDC0F49@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org The problem is Hal Cragin moved to California, so he's not around much anymore... -scratch makebase wrote: > > Mono Puff only went a couple of years between albums, and then the second > album was as strong as the first, in my opinion. Are they done now, though? > Is Flansburgh too busy putting out TMBG albums now? > > Bryan T. Hoerber wrote in message > news:5.1.0.14.2.20010627174409.00ac6660@mail.aviationpage.com... > > Two words, Mono Puff > > At 01:53 PM 6/27/2001, you wrote: > > > > >Uh, I was sort of assuming it was Mr. Xcitement, but I guess I have no > > >reason to. But from what I hear, that would be a good thing. No matter > > >what, though, 16 is still by far a large number of tracks, so let's not > > >complain. I mean, they could be going a long time with no album and then > > >giving us an album with only 10 mediocre songs, clocking in at under 30 > > >minutes. But NO band would do that... > > >_________________________________________________________________ > > >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:02:23 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: best tmbg song ever Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010628000213.00a68170@mail.aviationpage.com> The Guitar At 10:54 PM 6/27/2001, Jon wrote: >Certain People I Could Name...best TMBG song ever! > >I don't know what it is about the song, but it just rocks so much. I >listened to it about 5 times in a row before writing this e-mail and >deciding it was the best tmbg song... > >What does everyone else consider to be the best (or their favorite) song >by the johns? > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:59:39 -0400 From: "Bill Laird" Subject: TMBG: errr... Message-ID: <000a01c0ff9f$e7944230$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE> So, anyway, I take back my doubts of Operator Dot. TDK sought me out and IMed me about it. I've read her posts before and she seems remarkably informed, but, hey, anyone can be informed. I am now aware of her credentials, and withdraw my statements about her. Please no flaming. Still, though, I'll swallow the track listing when a John says it, and/or when I see it on the shelf. But that's my old cynical self. I am never just a hat. -Bill, the (third to) last great flansburgh fan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:24:40 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: errr... Message-ID: <9hem6l$176$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00B6_01C0FF71.1A8CDB40 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can you fill the rest of us in? I had always assumed she has high = credentials, but I don't know what they are. I'm not asking for a = resume, but how (and how close) is she connected to TMBG? Bill Laird wrote in message = news:000a01c0ff9f$e7944230$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE... So, anyway, I take back my doubts of Operator Dot. TDK sought me out = and IMed me about it. I've read her posts before and she seems = remarkably informed, but, hey, anyone can be informed. I am now aware of = her credentials, and withdraw my statements about her. Please no = flaming. Still, though, I'll swallow the track listing when a John says = it, and/or when I see it on the shelf. But that's my old cynical self. =20 I am never just a hat. =20 -Bill, the (third to) last great flansburgh fan ------=_NextPart_000_00B6_01C0FF71.1A8CDB40 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Can you fill the rest of us in?  I = had always=20 assumed she has high credentials, but I don't know what they are.  = I'm not=20 asking for a resume, but how (and how close) is she connected to=20 TMBG?
Bill Laird <sensurround@anti-earth.org= >=20 wrote in message news:000a01c0ff= 9f$e7944230$9185c997@PANTSMACHINE...
So, anyway, I take back my = doubts=20 of Operator Dot. TDK sought me out and IMed me about it. I've = read her=20 posts before and she seems remarkably informed, but, hey, anyone can = be=20 informed. I am now aware of her credentials, and withdraw my = statements about=20 her. Please no flaming. Still, though, I'll swallow the track listing = when a=20 John says it, and/or when I see it on the shelf. But that's my old = cynical=20 self.

I am never just a hat.

-Bill, the (third to) last great = flansburgh=20 fan
------=_NextPart_000_00B6_01C0FF71.1A8CDB40-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-29 ******************************