Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 42, Number 4 Monday, 4 June 2001 Topics: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... TMBG: Campaign Speech Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 12:25:58 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... Message-ID: Sorry guys. No shirt for you. :> Trademark infringement isn't my idea of a good time. I'd go to prison, and wind up someone's plaything. *Shudder* And who would run the embassy while I was being fawned over by Bubba in cell block D? Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: TMBGDot@aol.com [mailto:TMBGDot@aol.com] Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2001 12:20 PM To: refund@nmt.edu Subject: Re: Quick legality question... In a message dated 6/3/01 11:33:03 AM, refund@nmt.edu writes: << My question to you is: is it legal for me to put 'TMBG' or 'They Might Be Giants' - either one - on a shirt and sell it? >> Another person contacted us about making a shirt a while ago, and the answer is it is not legal to use the name They Might Be Giants or TMBG. It would be trademark infringement, even if you're not making a profit. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 18:10:53 +0100 From: David Poppers Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Ambassador T-shirts... Message-ID: <3B1A6F65.AA458B42@earthlink.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Short answer: They Might Be Giants is a registered trademark. Long Answer: Typed Drawing Word Mark THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: SOUND RECORDINGS, VIDEO RECORDINGS AND MOUSE PADS. FIRST USE: 19860300. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19860300 IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: T-SHIRTS AND HATS. FIRST USE: 19870100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19870100 Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING Serial Number 76245609 Filing Date April 24, 2001 Owner (APPLICANT) TMB Productions (comprised of John Linnell, a citizen of the United States, and John Flansburgh, a citizen of the United States) PARTNERSHIP NEW YORK P.O. Box 176 Palisades NEW YORK 10964 Attorney of Record William M. Borchard Prior Registrations 1643976 Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE (From http://tess.uspto.gov/, the gumment's trademark search thingy) P.S. TMBG didn't turn up any results... maybe it's okay to copy... In a message dated 6/3/01 11:33:03 AM, refund@nmt.edu writes: > > << My question to you is: is it legal for me to > > put 'TMBG' or 'They Might Be Giants' - either one - on a shirt and sell it? > >> > > Another person contacted us about making a shirt a while ago, and the answer > is it is not legal to use the name They Might Be Giants or TMBG. It would be > trademark infringement, even if you're not making a profit. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:06:49 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Campaign Speech Message-ID: <9feq4r$abi$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Ahem. Thank you all for coming here tonight. In view of our desire for freedom from the persistent meddling by state officials in county affairs, in particular the harassment of Giantheads and our county sheriffs by the so-called State Highway Patrol, I, Polaris, hereby declare my county to be a free and independent state to be named Tee-Embigy. If P-p-p... Bush considers this an act of war, then the state of Tee-Embigy shall declare war on the United States of America to claim her independence. No longer must our children be called upon to crush the legitimate struggles of other disaffected peoples, striving for their independence from the forces of tyranny. We have no further comment at this time other than to state that Polaris is now chief of state of Tee-Embigy and Ambassador to Brooklyn. Thank you again and good night. Jennings:George Stephanapolous, your thoughts? Stephanopolous:Well, I'm only a suck-up to the two corporate parties, so I think this guy's speech was ranting and raving. Jennings:Interesting. Gloria? Gloria:Look at the transcript. Don't blame me if the guy's a nut. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #42-4 *****************************