Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 22 Sunday, 22 July 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists TMBG: Favorite openers Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers TMBG: off topic-OKGO, fwd message Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:36:38 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Message-ID: <2b.18825fc8.288b0996@aol.com> In a message dated 7/21/01 6:09:02 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << And I don't think that anyone is "outing" Linnell for his beliefs. >> Oh yeah? What do you call putting his name -- surely without his permission -- on a Web site that lists famous atheists? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:50:06 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Favorite openers Message-ID: >My all-time favorite TMBG opening band was Lincoln. Now, I suppose >Lincoln is semi-incorporated into TMBG, minus Chris Temple... I really >wish they wouldn't have broken up. I think my favorite TMBG opener was Brian Dewan. Now *that* was a cool show. --nicole twn *** "All that's left is the one and the zero, and which one are you?" --Peter Mulvey Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:09:17 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Message-ID: >From: PosterKid1@aol.com >Reply-To: PosterKid1@aol.com >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists >Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:36:38 EDT > > >In a message dated 7/21/01 6:09:02 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > ><< And I don't think that anyone is "outing" Linnell for his beliefs. >> > > Oh yeah? What do you call putting his name -- surely without his >permission -- on a Web site that lists famous atheists? Um...I think the point of the website is to celebrate Atheism, and to say "Look, all these famous people are on our side." It's not to say "Don't write these guys fan mail. Instead, hit them with rocks." It's not a big deal. Linnell is a minor celebrity, and if he states that he's an Atheist, I don't see anything wrong with Atheists using his name. I guess I could be biased, being an Atheist, but thinking about it in a different way, if Linnell publicly stated he was a huge fan of, I don't know, pickles, then I don't think anyone would see anything wrong with pickles.com putting "John Linnell of They Might Be Giants likes pickles...do you?" then I don't think anyone would have a problem. I don't see the whole "not any of our business" angle. If he wanted to keep it a secret, then when asked if he believed in God he would say "That's a stupid question, and it doesn't matter." It DOESN'T matter, but it doesn't matter when they ask him what bands he's into either. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:44:43 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Message-ID: <9jct9k$2v59$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I don't see the whole "not any of our business" > angle. If he wanted to keep it a secret, then when asked if he believed in > God he would say "That's a stupid question, and it doesn't matter." True. I read an article where the interviewer asked Linnell: "Tell me about the 'nerd factor,'" to which he simply answered, "No." He wouldn't give the answer unless he wanted to. I sincerely doubt he cares that people know he's an atheist. I don't think it really matters to most of us here, either, other than it's an interesting fact. I'm as "theist" as they come and it doesn't matter to me. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:52:22 -0700 From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Message-ID: <000a01c11259$54dacfa0$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> My favorite that I've seen is Lincoln, too. You know, right before www.thebandlincoln.com was taken down, Chris Temple himself posted to the message board, detailing their breakup....he also said that any new releases would be under the name "c temple"...anyone know what hes up to these days?? I rather liked Ok Go, too. They put on a rather eclectic show. Looking forward to their cd. -Charlie http://flipse.com/dirky/ > >My all-time favorite TMBG opening band was Lincoln. Now, I suppose > >Lincoln is semi-incorporated into TMBG, minus Chris Temple... I really > >wish they wouldn't have broken up. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:09:58 EDT From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Message-ID: <36.18da2076.288b8ff6@aol.com> >My all-time favorite TMBG opening band was Lincoln. My favorite for opening bands is a tie between Lincoln and You Were Spiraling, with OK Go coming in at a close second. Worst opening act was, hands down, Double Dong. Ugh. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:29:44 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Message-ID: I must say, I rather enjoyed OKGO a lot. They were a really rockin' band! I bought their ep at the January TMBG gig in SLC UT and signed up on their email list. (I believe they said their full album is now available. Will see if I still have it and check on that). The band was signing autographs just inside the front door of the venue, while I was buying my CD, and by the time I got through the line and got my copy, they had disappeared someplace backstage :( I really wanted to meet them. That Damian Kulash is a funny guy-I am always amused when I read their email update lists! Jen Official TMBG Ambassador to Utah >From: "Charlie Miller" >Reply-To: "Charlie Miller" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers >Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:52:22 -0700 > >My favorite that I've seen is Lincoln, too. You know, right before >www.thebandlincoln.com was taken down, Chris Temple himself posted to the >message board, detailing their breakup....he also said that any new >releases >would be under the name "c temple"...anyone know what hes up to these >days?? > >I rather liked Ok Go, too. They put on a rather eclectic show. Looking >forward to their cd. >-Charlie >http://flipse.com/dirky/ > > > > >My all-time favorite TMBG opening band was Lincoln. Now, I suppose > > >Lincoln is semi-incorporated into TMBG, minus Chris Temple... I really > > >wish they wouldn't have broken up. > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:36:42 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: off topic-OKGO, fwd message Message-ID: OK-checked on the status of OKGO's latest project-still not finished as of a few weeks ago, as you will read....(quite humourous IMHO! I can see why the Johns picked them as an opening act!) >From: Damian Kulash >To: Damian Kulash >Subject: Child stars, Clint Eastwood, the new OK Go message board. >Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:18:05 +0800 > >hey folks. > >OK Go has been hard at work trying to put together our first full length >release. So far, we've been relatively successful on the musical front >(we're about halfway done), and we've also managed to unearth some >interesting truths about life in L.A: child stars are weird, and aspiring >child stars are weirder. The apartment complex in which we have been >temporarily housed is very near to the Warner Brothers lot, so most of the >other tenants are 10 to 15 year-old entertainers and their parents. The >walls of the adjoining convenience store are covered in signed head shots >of >past residents, all pre-teens with the notable exception of Kid N' Play, >who >are also the only performers we recognized. One young fellow who looks >sort >of like Ricky Schroeder circa '85 signed his photo "Yo yo yo! Thanks for >keepin' it real y'all. FUBU!" You can imagine how entertained and >bewildered we are to be sharing residence with him. > >Anyhow, the real reason I write today is to announce an OK Go message board >that has gone up on the Capitol Records site (www. hollywoodandvine.com). >the direct link is > >HTTP://boards.hollywoodandvine.com/UBB-BIN/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&fo >rum=OKGO&number=38&DaysPrune=60&LastLogin= > >or you can go to Capitol's site and follow links to the message boards. >Currently, the topics under discussion include proposed album titles, the >alleged sexual relationship between bassist Tim Nordwind and myself, and >the >animal films of Clint Eastwood. To give you some idea of the breadth of >the >discourse let me copy some quotes from recent postings: > >"You sound like a character from the Care Bears. I bet you have like 40 >different care Bears. I bet the lead singer of Manhattan transfer is your >dad." > >"Motocross!?!?!? Gosh, what a beautiful fatty nutcake of a world we live >in. >Is it true that your fingers shoot out of your body and produce a viscous, >nerve-deadening milk when you're cornered and sensing danger?" > >"As a discursive entity, 'Every Which Way But Loose' flounders under the >weight of so much ideological cargo. As a piece of lowbrow entertainment, >however, it is unparalleled in its beauty and richness, especially the part >where Clint Eastwood says 'Left turn, Clyde,' and Clyde socks the badguy in >the kisser." > >Anyone can sign up, so I encourage you to join in the fun. I hope you >enjoy. > >Damian > >PS. shameless promotional reminder: our own website, http://www.okgo.net is >still up, and the new online store with both of our $4 cds, t-shirts, >videos, and stickers has already serviced hundreds of orders. stop by. > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-22 ******************************