Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 23 Monday, 23 July 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers TMBG: WMBG2 TMBG: Re: tmbg favorite openers TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists TMBG: Misheard lyrics TMBG: Has anyone seen Chuck and Buck? TMBG: Re: Has anyone seen Chuck and Buck? Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics RE: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:44:57 -0700 (PDT) From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Favorite openers Message-ID: <20010722064457.92005.qmail@web13609.mail.yahoo.com> --- Charlie Miller wrote: > My favorite that I've seen is Lincoln, too. You > know, right before > www.thebandlincoln.com was taken down, Chris Temple > himself posted to the > message board, detailing their breakup....he also > said that any new releases > would be under the name "c temple"...anyone know > what hes up to these days?? From John Wozniak, lead singer of Marcy Playground: "Since giving Capitol the ol' heave-ho, I've been writing songs for the next album- aptly entitled "MP#3." Some recent collaborations have been with Jimi HaHa (Jimmy's Chicken Shack), and Chris Temple (Lincoln). The first single will be a song called "The Devil Song." It's a fun lyrical puzzle. It came about much the same way as Sex&Candy (which is a good thing). It's getting a lot of requests at KOSO 93.1 in Modesto, CA- where they've been playing it. #1 most requested, actually. So, I'm pretty happy. Dan Rieser (our drummer) has quit the band. He's happier, and we're happy he's happy- nuff said. Our new recordings feature Noel White on drums (from the Annapolis band "Underfoot"). Touring with us on drums is Gonzalo "Gonzo" Martinez (formerly of Lincoln)." --Jason-- __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:50:06 -0700 From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: WMBG2 Message-ID: YO!! Father Bingo! Let's get some standings or poll stats, pie charts whatever on the WMBG2 voting! Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:21:37 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Message-ID: <46.17ea9250.288c73b1@aol.com> << I don't see anything wrong with Atheists using his name... thinking about it in a different way, if Linnell publicly stated he was a huge fan of, I don't know, pickles, then I don't think anyone would see anything wrong with pickles.com putting "John Linnell of They Might Be Giants likes pickles...do you?">> Yes, I do. You're placing someone's name in a public forum without their permission. Now, John Linnell is indeed a public figure, but anyone on this list knows that he particularly values his privacy, so why gratuitously spread his name around? And the pickle analogy does not hold. Religious beliefs are far more personal and controversial than one's taste in vegetables. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:10:59 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Atheists Message-ID: ><< I don't see anything wrong with Atheists using his name... thinking >about >it in a different way, if Linnell publicly stated he was a huge fan of, I >don't know, pickles, then I don't think anyone would see anything wrong >with >pickles.com putting "John Linnell of They Might Be Giants likes >pickles...do >you?">> > > Yes, I do. You're placing someone's name in a public forum without >their >permission. Now, John Linnell is indeed a public figure, but anyone on >this >list knows that he particularly values his privacy, so why gratuitously >spread his name around? > And the pickle analogy does not hold. Religious beliefs are far more >personal and controversial than one's taste in vegetables. > Well, if people don't think it's right, then someone should tell the website author. I'm just holding up my side of the fence, and I personally think that anything a public figure states factually should be available to be known by whoever wants to know. The site is tactful, it simply has a list of people who have said they don't believe in dieties, a list of people who have said that they are agnostic, and a list of people they're not sure about. It's just a fact sheet, like the site that lists celebs who smoke. It's just for anyone who wants to know. And I really think that if you stopped Linnell on the street to discuss it with him, he really wouldn't care. I'm sure he has bigger things to worry about. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:06:20 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: Hey all I was just surfing the net today and found this site: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/theymightbegiants.shtml You can look up any artist and see what songs people have admittedly misheard lyrics to. Some are pretty interesting and amusing! Jen Official TMBG Ambassador to Utah _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:44:30 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Has anyone seen Chuck and Buck? Message-ID: This has probably been answered before, but in the office scene of Chuck and Buck when Charles unmutes the television and says "I signed this band" it is They Might Be Giants, I'm sure of it but I can't remember what song and it's not credited in the end... Although they do thank John Flansburgh. Anyone know? george ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:12:46 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: Has anyone seen Chuck and Buck? Message-ID: <3B5B5DEE.2DD23387@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Dr. Worm. -scratch Instaboy@aol.com wrote: > > This has probably been answered before, but in the office scene of Chuck and Buck when Charles unmutes the television and says "I signed this band" it is They Might Be Giants, I'm sure of it but I can't remember what song and it's not credited in the end... Although they do thank John Flansburgh. > > Anyone know? > > george ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:52:48 EDT From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: << http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/theymightbegiants.shtml >> I got this from the site: They Might Be Giants', "Become A Robot" Misheard Lyrics: Here's hoping you don't Harbor a penguin or Here's hoping you don't Harbor a deathwish Correct Lyrics: Here's hoping you don't Harbor a wishnik I always thought it was "deathwish". What the hell is a wishnik?? PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:59:26 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: <3B5B930E.9E44D4B@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Wishnik is something John and John made up and put in the liner notes to Then so they wouldn't scare their parents. The line is actually "Here's hoping you don't Harbor a deathwish". -scratch PRMega@aol.com wrote: > > << http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/theymightbegiants.shtml >> > > I got this from the site: > > They Might Be Giants', "Become A Robot" > Misheard Lyrics: > Here's hoping you don't Harbor a penguin > or > Here's hoping you don't Harbor a deathwish > Correct Lyrics: > Here's hoping you don't Harbor a wishnik > > I always thought it was "deathwish". What the hell is a wishnik?? > > PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:11:52 EDT From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: In a message dated 7/22/01 8:00:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time, scratch@the-pentagon.com writes: << Wishnik is something John and John made up and put in the liner notes to Then so they wouldn't scare their parents. The line is actually "Here's hoping you don't Harbor a deathwish".>> Guess it's been a little too long since I looked at the Then liner notes. Thanks, Scratch. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:28:26 EDT From: BethJE@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: <38.1941fc15.288cf3da@aol.com> Isn't a wishnik one of those little troll doll things with the long neon colored hair? Beth Yes, it is. I still have some. > Wishnik is something John and John made up and put in the liner notes to > Then so they wouldn't scare their parents. The line is actually "Here's > hoping you don't Harbor a deathwish". ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:20:57 -0400 From: Amy Greenlese Subject: RE: TMBG: Misheard lyrics Message-ID: This seems like the perfect time to plug my TMBG mondegreen page! www.strangemud.net/~agreen/tmbg/tmbgreen.htm New address! New look! Same mistakes! The original site where people confess to hearing the wrong thing. Submit yours today! Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-23 ******************************