Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 28 Saturday, 28 July 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re: I'm Impressed! TMBG: Re: State Songs at EBay for one cent TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... TMBG: Virus Alert.... Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Re[2]: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Re[2]: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... TMBG: Re: State Songs at EBay for one cent TMBG: Re: Virus Alert.... Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic TMBG: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz TMBG: Re: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Furby Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:49:15 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: I'm Impressed! Message-ID: <9jr32u$4gn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Jon wrote in message news:000f01c11653$e92cab80$10450241@mshome.net... > The brits have great taste in music...alaways have. Well, except for those pesky Spice Girls. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:18:23 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs at EBay for one cent Message-ID: If you don't already have State Songs by John L. you may like to bid for it at EBay. It's currently at |0.01 with one bidder! Great CD and worth a bit more than $0.01. Richard _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:03:29 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <2971436174@sterl.com> Richard Hilton, that is - or anyone else (named Richard or not) who can help... The mention of what good musical taste Blokes have (I call them Blokes cause I've heard that they don't particularly like "Brits", & "bloke" is kinda like "dude", so they shouldn't mind too much. If you do, let me know, & I'll stop post haste...) made me vaguely remember some British band from about '80 or so, they had a song called "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part III". Starts off with "Summer, Buddy Holly, the Bolshoi Ballet..." then I forget the exact rest. Been dredging my brains trying to come up with the name of the guy. Any clues?? I don't think they were ever big over here, I happened to be there at the time. Also, while we're off the sub, who was that guy, George Formby or Forsby or Furby, or something, he seemed to be kind of a joke, like Jerry Lewis, only he sang. Had a ukelele, I think, but not like Tiny Tim, he was more like that Freddy & the Dreamers guy. Like I said, a joke. he wasn't current at the time, though, seemed to be like from the '50s or so. My poor fried brains only remember enough to know that they should remember more. I hope you're old enough to help, but not old enough to not remember anymore... Okay, back to our regularly scheduled TMBG-related topics.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:26:25 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: TMBG: Virus Alert.... Message-ID: <35369967@sterl.com> Just got an email here @work from no one I've ever heard of, sub: line was "Memo", with two attachments. Message was something like "Hi there! How are you? I send you this file to ask your opinion. Bye!" Being the suspicious paranoid that I am, I fwd:ed it to our puter guy, who confirmed that it's a fairly nasty self-perpetuating address book raider. Don't know if it's new, or if I just haven't heard of it, but justin case.... Happy Friday! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:01:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Matt James Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <200107271502.LAA29195@fellspt.charm.net> I thikn that was Ian Dury and the Blockheads, knew a mate who listened to him a long time ago. -Matt > > Richard Hilton, that is - or anyone else (named Richard or not) who can help... > The mention of what good musical taste Blokes have (I call them Blokes cause I've heard that they don't particularly like "Brits", & "bloke" is kinda like "dude", so they shouldn't mind too much. If you do, let me know, & I'll stop post haste...) made me vaguely remember some British band from about '80 or so, they had a song called "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part III". Starts off with "Summer, Buddy Holly, the Bolshoi Ballet..." then I forget the exact rest. Been dredging my brains trying to come up with the name of the guy. Any clues?? I don't think they were ever big over here, I happened to be there at the time. > Also, while we're off the sub, who was that guy, George Formby or Forsby or Furby, or something, he seemed to be kind of a joke, like Jerry Lewis, only he sang. Had a ukelele, I think, but not like Tiny Tim, he was more like that Freddy & the Dreamers guy. Like I said, a joke. he wasn't current at the time, though, seemed to be like from the '50s or so. > My poor fried brains only remember enough to know that they should remember more. I hope you're old enough to help, but not old enough to not remember anymore... > Okay, back to our regularly scheduled TMBG-related topics.... > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > > --MIME MULTIPART BOUNDARY=.996242609:+'2 > Content-Type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII > Content-Id: <2971436174-3@sterl.com> > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > > > > > > >

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> size=2>Richard Hilton, that is - or anyone else (named Richard or not) who can > help...

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000>The mention of what good musical > taste Blokes have (I call them Blokes cause I've heard that they don't > particularly like "Brits", & "bloke" is kinda like "dude", so they shouldn't > mind too much.  If you do, let me know, & I'll stop post > haste...)  made me vaguely remember some British band from about '80 or so, > they had a song called "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part III".  Starts off with > "Summer, Buddy Holly, the Bolshoi Ballet..."  then I forget the exact > rest.  Been dredging my brains trying to come up with the name of the > guy.  Any clues??  I don't think they were ever big over here, I > happened to be there at the time.

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000>Also, while we're off the sub, who > was that guy, George Formby or Forsby or Furby, or something, he seemed to be > kind of a joke, like Jerry Lewis, only he sang.  Had a ukelele, I think, > but not like Tiny Tim, he was more like that Freddy & the Dreamers > guy.  Like I said, a joke.  he wasn't current at the time, though, > seemed to be like from the '50s or so.

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000>My poor fried brains only remember > enough to know that they should remember more.  I hope you're old enough to > help, but not old enough to not remember anymore... 

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000>Okay, back to our regularly > scheduled TMBG-related topics....

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000> size=2>            Karin > H

>

style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; TEXT-INDENT: 0in"> color=#000000>** FREE THE EXPO 67 > **

> > --MIME MULTIPART BOUNDARY=.996242609:+'2-- > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:09:27 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <4202721314@sterl.com> Matt James, the Saviour of My Brain, sez: >I thikn that was Ian Dury and the Blockheads, knew a mate who >listened to him a long time ago. >-Matt YES !!!!! Ian Drury & the Blockheads !! How could I forget... My mind is humming quietly in gratitude. Thanks, Matt - - Karin H Whew ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:11:29 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <3974923700@sterl.com> Any help with George Furby, while you're at it? KH **FTE67** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:52:39 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs at EBay for one cent Message-ID: And it's up to $3 with one day and 13 hours to go. The highest bidder is 'the mad poet'. Are you on the list?! Richard >>> "Richard Hilton" 27/07/01 09:18:23 >>> If you don't already have State Songs by John L. you may like to bid for it at EBay. It's currently at |0.01 with one bidder! Great CD and worth a bit more than $0.01. Richard _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:06:40 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Virus Alert.... Message-ID: <9js725$12qg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I got this en espanol :P wrote in message news:35369967@sterl.com... > Just got an email here @work from no one I've ever heard of, sub: line was > "Memo", with two attachments. > > Message was something like "Hi there! How are you? I send you this file to ask > your opinion. Bye!" > > Being the suspicious paranoid that I am, I fwd:ed it to our puter guy, who > confirmed that it's a fairly nasty self-perpetuating address book raider. Don't > know if it's new, or if I just haven't heard of it, but justin case.... > Happy Friday! > > Karin H > ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:15:16 +0100 From: David Poppers Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic Message-ID: <3B613123.72E58678@earthlink.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Actually, I told one of my friends to download Older off of Emusic, and he enjoyed it. He isn't a raving fan, but dammit, Older made him appreciate TMBG. Personally, I like older. Why does this list like to knock it so much? There are plenty of "worse" songs than Older, many of them which have been released. I'd take Older over, say "Extra-Savoir Faire" or "Lucky Ball and Chain" any day. pi. Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > >Good lord. What is it with Older? > > I have no idea. Remember when they weren't going to put it on an album at > all? While I certainly don't mind that it was released, ONE release is > enough! And why they would use that song as a sample of the album is beyond > me. "You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older" is > hardly a good example of TMBG's lyrical prowess, and it seems as if it would > be highly unlikely to attract new fans. > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:15:16 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <9jsb9i$16pj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C11695.CBCAFAA0 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable wrote in message news:2971436174@sterl.com... Richard Hilton, that is - or anyone else (named Richard or not) who = can help... The mention of what good musical taste Blokes have (I call them Blokes = cause I've heard that they don't particularly like "Brits", & "bloke" is = kinda like "dude", so they shouldn't mind too much. If you do, let me = know, & I'll stop post haste) I never thought of that, but I imagine Canadians wouldn't want to be = called "Can-cans," and we wouldn't want to be called "Ams" (or, with the = way global politics are heading, "The Rogue Nation"). What would our = cousins in the United Kingdom of Great Brittain and Northern Ireland = prefer to be called? --=20 Shaun www.tmbg.cc ------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C11695.CBCAFAA0 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<karinh@sterl.com> = wrote in=20 message news:2971436174@sterl.com...
=

Richard Hilton, that is - or anyone else (named Richard or = not) who can=20 help...

The mention of what = good musical=20 taste Blokes have (I call them Blokes cause I've heard that they don't = particularly like "Brits", & "bloke" is kinda like "dude", so they = shouldn't mind too much.  If you do, let me know, & I'll stop = post=20 haste)

I never thought of that, but I imagine = Canadians=20 wouldn't want to be called "Can-cans," and we wouldn't want to be called = "Ams"=20 (or, with the way global politics are heading, "The Rogue = Nation").  What=20 would our cousins in the United Kingdom of Great Brittain and Northern = Ireland=20 prefer to be called?

--
Shaun
www.tmbg.cc

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C11695.CBCAFAA0-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:30:04 -0700 From: garrett27@juno.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic Message-ID: <20010727.123004.-2061923.0.Garrett27@juno.com> The only thing I have against Older (I actually do like the song quite a bit, but...) is that it seems like it's been on nearly everything that the Johns have recently done (MitM, LTW, Mink Car, plus it being the special free download for LTW, and wasn't it on UnLtd?), and it got multiple performances on TV, and it just doesn't seem like *that* great of a song to put as much focus on as it has been. Garrett ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:29:06 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: This Week at EMusic Message-ID: David Poppers: >Actually, I told one of my friends to download Older off of Emusic, and >he enjoyed it. He isn't a raving fan, but dammit, Older made him >appreciate TMBG. Personally, I like older. Why does this list like to >knock it so much? I wouldn't say not wanting it to be on yet another album counts as "knocking it." I don't want "It's Not My Birthday" or "Dinner Bell" to be on Mink Car, either, and those are probably my two favorite TMBG songs. >There are plenty of "worse" songs than Older, many of >them which have been released. True, but "Older" has already been released. >I'd take Older over, say "Extra-Savoir >Faire" or "Lucky Ball and Chain" any day. I like both of those songs better than "Older." I'd take "Older" over "Spy" or "Hearing Aid," though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:55:38 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz Message-ID: J. L. Bell: >My Del Rey edition refers to "the whole thousand years of his existence." >Was this a misprint?>> > >Sorry, that was an error in my notes. Either way, a stated age seems to >defy Baum's portrayal of the Nomes as immortals--which is not to say that >an immortal's existence has to start near the beginning of time. I think Baum did mention that immortals had existed since the beginning of time (or the beginning of the world, anyway), but this might have been an exaggeration. Onyx Madden's MYSTERIOUS CHRONICLES gives the Nome King parents, which a being who came into existence at the beginning of the world wouldn't have had. >But a >thousand years is less lifetime than the Wizard assigned to Zixi in ROAD. True, but he's probably incorrect, considering that Zixi was only seven hundred some years old in QUEEN ZIXI OF IX, and Bud and Fluff, who were children in that book, are still children in ROAD. ><> > >I extrapolated that quality from Baum's remarks about Nomes in general >being very strong (though he ties that to their work in the mines, which >may not apply to the king) and Ruggedo's physical resilience during his >struggles in many books. He's small, but wiry. Resilience and stamina do not necessarily indicate brute strength, though, which is what would have been necessary to open the door to the conjurer's cave. Also, wandering around the countryside might have made Ruggedo somewhat weaker. (Based on the illustrations, he certainly seems to be a lot skinnier than he was as King of the Nomes.) Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:09:20 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz Message-ID: <000601c116f9$8d289780$10450241@mshome.net> did i miss something...haha ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 7:55 PM Subject: TMBG: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz > J. L. Bell: > >My Del Rey edition refers to "the whole thousand years of his existence." > >Was this a misprint?>> > > > >Sorry, that was an error in my notes. Either way, a stated age seems to > >defy Baum's portrayal of the Nomes as immortals--which is not to say that > >an immortal's existence has to start near the beginning of time. > > I think Baum did mention that immortals had existed since the beginning of > time (or the beginning of the world, anyway), but this might have been an > exaggeration. Onyx Madden's MYSTERIOUS CHRONICLES gives the Nome King > parents, which a being who came into existence at the beginning of the world > wouldn't have had. > > >But a > >thousand years is less lifetime than the Wizard assigned to Zixi in ROAD. > > True, but he's probably incorrect, considering that Zixi was only seven > hundred some years old in QUEEN ZIXI OF IX, and Bud and Fluff, who were > children in that book, are still children in ROAD. > > ><> > > > >I extrapolated that quality from Baum's remarks about Nomes in general > >being very strong (though he ties that to their work in the mines, which > >may not apply to the king) and Ruggedo's physical resilience during his > >struggles in many books. He's small, but wiry. > > Resilience and stamina do not necessarily indicate brute strength, though, > which is what would have been necessary to open the door to the conjurer's > cave. Also, wandering around the countryside might have made Ruggedo > somewhat weaker. (Based on the illustrations, he certainly seems to be a > lot skinnier than he was as King of the Nomes.) > > Nathan > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:32:30 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: Hey Richard..... Message-ID: <9jtise$29v4$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0082_01C116FC.C9080440 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable if anything i think we should all post hastely > If you do, let me know, & I'll stop post haste =20 wolfie when all the world is thrown to waste=20 post haste ------=_NextPart_000_0082_01C116FC.C9080440 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
if anything i think we should all post=20 hastely

> If you do, let me know, & I'll = stop post=20 haste           &n= bsp;

wolfie
when all the world is thrown to waste =
post haste
------=_NextPart_000_0082_01C116FC.C9080440-- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:41:01 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: Hey Furby Message-ID: <9jtjcd$2aff$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > Also, while we're off the sub, who was that Furby whew glad you got off, i think he needed a break "me ta s-e-x-x-y sa" or in rocky horror fasion: "toucha toucha toucha touch me i wanna be diiirty, thrill me chill me fulfill me, the creature of the night" - new and improved furby > he seemed to be kind of a joke, like Jerry Lewis, only he sang. > > Okay, back to our regularly scheduled TMBG-related topics.... yeah like that will happen any time soon.... wolfie >Like I said, a joke. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-28 ******************************