Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 29 Sunday, 29 July 2001 Topics: TMBG: Brunching Shuttlecocks Re: TMBG: Re: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Re: TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Re: TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:24:07 -0400 From: Amy Greenlese Subject: TMBG: Brunching Shuttlecocks Message-ID: Our friends at www.brunching.com have given us a little TMBG reference. Go here http://www.brunching.com/features/internetstudy.html to see it. Amy :) "There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The pleasure is having lots to do and not doing it." --Mayur Patel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:25:48 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: [Nonestica] ages in Oz Message-ID: Jon: >did i miss something...haha Sorry, this was intended for another mailing list I'm on, devoted to the Oz books. (There were, you must understand, many sequels to THE WIZARD OF OZ.) Anyway, neither one automatically replies to the entire list when you hit "reply," and I accidentally typed in the address to this list, rather than that one. > > J. L. Bell: > > >My Del Rey edition refers to "the whole thousand years of his >existence." > > >Was this a misprint?>> > > > > > >Sorry, that was an error in my notes. Either way, a stated age seems to > > >defy Baum's portrayal of the Nomes as immortals--which is not to say >that > > >an immortal's existence has to start near the beginning of time. > > > > I think Baum did mention that immortals had existed since the beginning >of > > time (or the beginning of the world, anyway), but this might have been >an > > exaggeration. Onyx Madden's MYSTERIOUS CHRONICLES gives the Nome King > > parents, which a being who came into existence at the beginning of the >world > > wouldn't have had. > > > > >But a > > >thousand years is less lifetime than the Wizard assigned to Zixi in >ROAD. > > > > True, but he's probably incorrect, considering that Zixi was only seven > > hundred some years old in QUEEN ZIXI OF IX, and Bud and Fluff, who were > > children in that book, are still children in ROAD. > > > > ><> > > > > > >I extrapolated that quality from Baum's remarks about Nomes in general > > >being very strong (though he ties that to their work in the mines, >which > > >may not apply to the king) and Ruggedo's physical resilience during his > > >struggles in many books. He's small, but wiry. > > > > Resilience and stamina do not necessarily indicate brute strength, >though, > > which is what would have been necessary to open the door to the >conjurer's > > cave. Also, wandering around the countryside might have made Ruggedo > > somewhat weaker. (Based on the illustrations, he certainly seems to be >a > > lot skinnier than he was as King of the Nomes.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:09:46 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Message-ID: Last night I went to the On the Bricks show featuring Cake, and one of the opening acts was the Josh Joplin Group, who is apparently doing pretty well. His songs weren't the greatest, but he had a really cool gimmick where he would start off singing a song, and then segueway into a song of his own that sounded like the other. I figure, if you're going to rip someone off, at least recognize the ripped. Anyway, he sang a good but of Racist Friend before he went into his very similiar song whose name I don't know. I think I heard him say "unicorn" a lot, but I hear everyone say that. Constantly. BTW, the crowds at this series have gotten unbelievable towards the end. They appparently counted 30,000 people. I got there just a little after the gates opened, and dawdled around and ended up barely able to see and hear Cake. So if anybody's going to see Ben Folds next week, it's the last one, so expect it to be the most packed event you've ever been to. Camp out the day before with a gun. I warned you. And by the way, Cake absolutely rocked the park, all three square miles of fans and Atlanta residents looking for something to do. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 04:34:53 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Message-ID: >Ben Folds is NOT next week. Next week is Marvelous 3. The 10th is Ben >Folds, along with Remy Zero and Soup, who I hear are both good. (Soup has >an accordion player!) > > Whoops. Sorry for the misinformation, I was thinking of an article I read saying "Cake and Ben Folds to close out On the Bricks." I thought Marvelous 3 was an opening act for Ben Folds. I'm actually glad to hear they haven't dropped down to opening band status. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 00:38:20 EDT From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: A nice little nod from the Josh Joplin Group Message-ID: <8b.9fd500d.2894ed3c@aol.com> In a message dated 7/29/01 12:35:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, aceduke@hotmail.com writes: > I thought Marvelous > Isn't Marvelous 3 the band that did that sweet cover of Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years" for the Me, Myself, and Irene soundtrack! I really liked that. Doc Rick Worm TMBG Ambassador to Ohio I like Steely Dan! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-29 ******************************