Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 30 Monday, 30 July 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: The Daily Show/Losers Lounge TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:39:35 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: The Daily Show/Losers Lounge Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010729223935.00810c90@fisticuffs.org> At 01:33 PM 7/26/01 -0500, Jackie York wrote: > Did anyone watch The Daily Show's 5th Anniversary special > last night? At the end they had the new "Daily Show Anthem" > - and it was done by Losers Lounge with vocals by some guy > whose name I forgot and Robin Goldwasser. That would be David Driver, late of Rent and currently of the Driver Quartet, ma'am. I love those two so much it should be illegal. They singlehandedly make the Loser's Lounge worthwhile. -mandy "Goth girl, who is the guy on the leash? Does he wash dishes?" (jwh) ----------- http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:56:10 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <10f.2eb1919.289626ca@aol.com> Since this is the only TMBG forum I haven't seen this in yet, I figured I'd better cut and paste it here. I hope they can still get Mink Car released! TMBG are cursed in the label department, it seems *sigh* From hitsdailydouble.com: RESTLESS ON THE ROPES High-Profile Indie Has Funding Pulled By Regency, Will Let Staff Go July 27, 2001 Another indie looks like it's bitten the dust. Ten-year-old Restless Records, the BMG-distribbed label home for everybody from They Might Be Giants and Spain to Warren G. and DJ Magic Mike, is on the critical list. New Regency Productions, the film/TV company headed by Arnon Milchan which acquired the label in 1997, will pull its financing from the company by the end of August. The label has laid off its promotion department and will let go most of the rest of its employees next month, leaving only a skeleton staff, including President/CEO Joe Regis and promotion head Dave Darus. The company still hopes to make a new deal and is currently negotiating with a prominent Hollywood entertainment company. According to label insiders, the final straw for Regency came with the unsuccessful campaign for They Might Be Giants' theme song for Malcolm in the Middle. The Restless catalog includes such acclaimed artists as the Replacements, the Cramps, the Jayhawks, Soul Asylum, Flaming Lips, Dead Milkmen, Agent Orange, DEVO, Stiff Little Fingers, T.S.O.L., Allan Holdsworth and Ween. They also released the soundtracks to the Fight Club, Freddy Got Fingered, L.A. Confidential and Heavy Metal 2000. The company was founded in 1991 by Regis and William Hein. Restless co-founded ADA with Warner Music Group in '93, but the distribbery is now wholly owned by WMG. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:50:23 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <3B64D97F.6823E81F@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I agree to an extent. I think that the "small amount of promotion" is the only error in the equation though. MitM isn't a mildly popular show, it's a very popular show, and most people seem to like Boss Of Me. I've had way to many conversations that go about like this though: me: blah blah blah they might be giants blah blah blah. them: I remember Istanbul/Particle Man, but I haven't heard anything more recently. me: actually, you probably have. they do the theme to MitM. them: oh really? that's a great song! I think that if it had been given more of a marketing push, it could have been a hit here. -scratch Jason Fickley wrote: > > > According to label insiders, the final straw for > > Regency came with the > > unsuccessful campaign for They Might Be Giants' > > theme song for Malcolm > > in the Middle. > > Restless thought that the theme song from a mildly > popular TV show, performed my a mildly popular band, > backed by a small amount of promotion was going to > tear up the charts? > > If they were banking on the soundtrack to MitM to make > oodles of money then they deserve to go out of > business. > > --Jason-- > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:57:55 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <9k2m0v$h31$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > I think that if it had been given more of a marketing push, it could > have been a hit here. Well, the single was out there..and I did hear it on the radio a few times.. it had all the "push" it needed.. except maybe from fox, who kinda went cheap when showing the video...... Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:03:31 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <3B64DC93.6DBDE456@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Marcus B wrote: > > > I think that if it had been given more of a marketing push, it could > > have been a hit here. > > Well, the single was out there..and I did hear it on the radio a few times.. > it had all the "push" it needed.. except maybe from fox, who kinda went > cheap when showing the video...... No it didn't. Most labels get the songs on the radio constantly, and get the video on MTV at least a few times. Especially if they're staking the future of the company on it. And don't tell me you actually believe that request nonsense, it's all paid for. As it is, most people don't even know there is a MitM soundtrack... -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:06:11 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <9k2mgg$hfh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org >And don't tell me you actually > believe that request nonsense, it's all paid for. Did I ever say this? > As it is, most people > don't even know there is a MitM soundtrack... Yeah, thats what I meant by FOX not really showing the entire video, or really advertising for the soundtrack :-/ Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:14:33 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: <3B64DF29.2CF21563@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Marcus B wrote: > > >And don't tell me you actually > > believe that request nonsense, it's all paid for. > > Did I ever say this? Well, you said that you heard it on the radio a few times. If they really wanted to push it, you would have heard it all the time. > > As it is, most people > > don't even know there is a MitM soundtrack... > > Yeah, thats what I meant by FOX not really showing the entire video, or > really advertising for the soundtrack :-/ True. They should have at least had the little corner credit thingy, then an ad for the soundtrack at the end of the show. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:26:21 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: I heard a lot of Boss of Me on my local radio station in Jan, Feb and March, but not much so after that. I do remember seeing a promo ad for the MitM soundtrack on my local FOX station after the show a few times, right before it was released on Feb 6. So I guess they had SOME marketing, but obviously not enough if the rumors are true about Restless Records. >From: scratch >Reply-To: scratch >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad News About Restless >Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:14:33 -0400 > > > >Marcus B wrote: > > > > >And don't tell me you actually > > > believe that request nonsense, it's all paid for. > > > > Did I ever say this? > >Well, you said that you heard it on the radio a few times. If they >really wanted to push it, you would have heard it all the time. > > > > As it is, most people > > > don't even know there is a MitM soundtrack... > > > > Yeah, thats what I meant by FOX not really showing the entire video, or > > really advertising for the soundtrack :-/ > >True. They should have at least had the little corner credit thingy, >then an ad for the soundtrack at the end of the show. > >-scratch _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-30 ******************************