Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 43, Number 5 Thursday, 5 July 2001 Topics: TMBG: Vote for your favorite pictures TMBG: staying in the game Re: TMBG: staying in the game TMBG: Unlimited Wish list Re: TMBG: staying in the game Re: TMBG: Re: Unlimited Free Trial Re: TMBG: staying in the game Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:28:25 -0400 From: "Lee" Subject: TMBG: Vote for your favorite pictures Message-ID: <000501c1049d$f8cdd4a0$6401a8c0@rocky1.ct.home.com> Hey everybody, Happy 4th! Here is a little game to play. http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/hsbigphoto.asp?oid=31&mode=2&cf=31 Lee Steel www.megahits.com/lees ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:40:12 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: staying in the game Message-ID: + OK, I have a question: After Factory Showroom, TMBG didn't have a record label (well, except for eMusic) promoting them. So how on earth did They maintain their following and basically not disappear off the face of the earth? Just wonderin'. + ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:58:36 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: staying in the game Message-ID: <9e.16bb9f27.2874972c@aol.com> Well, I think emusic has played a big part in keeping them in the game by giving them an outlet for their music while they were waiting for a label deal. As much as some of their internet fan base bitches about it, the mp3 albums and Unlimited have given them a lot of internet exposure, which, combined with the large section of their fan base that is computer literate, has led to a lot of exposure through word of mouth. I know I've personally gotten several online friends who had no idea about TMBG Unlimited to sign up for it. And of course TMBG have had more side projects going than most bands. Their involvement in high profile projects like the Austin Powers movie and Malcolm in the Middle have certainly played a role in keeping their names in the press. But most importantly, I think, is their own determination. As Flans once said, the band is still active "by sheer force of will." Not all bands that disappear do so because of internal conflict or because they run out of ideas or talent...it takes a *lot* of work to keep a music career going, and many bands simply reach a certain level of success and decide it's not worth it to keep pressing on (at least until the next reunion tour or "Where Are They Now" type special on VH-1). TMBG fans are very, very lucky to like a band that has managed to both stay together and be so incredibly prolific for so long. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:52:37 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: staying in the game Message-ID: <9hvs9m$1fmg$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C10490.9709FB20 Content-Type: text/plain; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I saw them in Vegas I think they mentioned something about being = promoted by Emusic or Wiredplanet.com (is that part of Emusic?), even = performing a rendition of "Radio TMBG" multiple times. I'm guessing = that they did have some kind of backing in the "No Label" era. Shaun wrote in message news:9e.16bb9f27.2874972c@aol.com... Well, I think emusic has played a big part in keeping them in the game = by=20 giving them an outlet for their music while they were waiting for a = label=20 deal. As much as some of their internet fan base bitches about it, = the mp3=20 albums and Unlimited have given them a lot of internet exposure, = which,=20 combined with the large section of their fan base that is computer = literate,=20 has led to a lot of exposure through word of mouth. I know I've = personally=20 gotten several online friends who had no idea about TMBG Unlimited to = sign up=20 for it. And of course TMBG have had more side projects going than = most=20 bands. Their involvement in high profile projects like the Austin = Powers=20 movie and Malcolm in the Middle have certainly played a role in = keeping their=20 names in the press.=20 But most importantly, I think, is their own determination. As Flans = once=20 said, the band is still active "by sheer force of will." Not all = bands that=20 disappear do so because of internal conflict or because they run out = of ideas=20 or talent...it takes a *lot* of work to keep a music career going, and = many=20 bands simply reach a certain level of success and decide it's not = worth it to=20 keep pressing on (at least until the next reunion tour or "Where Are = They=20 Now" type special on VH-1). TMBG fans are very, very lucky to like a = band=20 that has managed to both stay together and be so incredibly prolific = for so=20 long.=20 Kay=20 ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C10490.9709FB20 Content-Type: text/html; ÁÁcharset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
When I saw them in Vegas I think they = mentioned=20 something about being promoted by Emusic or Wiredplanet.com (is that = part of=20 Emusic?), even performing a rendition of "Radio TMBG" multiple=20 times.  I'm guessing that they did have some kind of backing in the = "No=20 Label" era.

Shaun
<Kaylum@aol.com> = wrote in=20 message news:9e.16bb9f27.2874972c@aol.= com...
Well, I think emusic has played = a big part=20 in keeping them in the game by
giving them an outlet for their = music while=20 they were waiting for a label
deal.  As much as some of their = internet fan base bitches about it, the mp3
albums and Unlimited = have=20 given them a lot of internet exposure, which,
combined with the = large=20 section of their fan base that is computer literate,
has led to a = lot of=20 exposure through word of mouth. I know I've personally
gotten = several=20 online friends who had no idea about TMBG Unlimited to sign up
for = it.=20  And of course TMBG have had more side projects going than most=20
bands.  Their involvement in high profile projects like the = Austin=20 Powers
movie and Malcolm in the Middle have certainly played a = role in=20 keeping their
names in the press.

But most importantly, I = think,=20 is their own determination.  As Flans once
said, the band is = still=20 active "by sheer force of will."  Not all bands that =
disappear do so=20 because of internal conflict or because they run out of ideas
or=20 talent...it takes a *lot* of work to keep a music career going, and = many=20
bands simply reach a certain level of success and decide it's not = worth it=20 to
keep pressing on (at least until the next reunion tour or = "Where Are=20 They
Now" type special on VH-1).  TMBG fans are very, very = lucky to=20 like a band
that has managed to both stay together and be so = incredibly=20 prolific for so
long.

Kay
= ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C10490.9709FB20-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 14:14:51 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Unlimited Free Trial Message-ID: > >Yes it is. And you also should get WUFTM if you sign up now, and that >wasn't part of the original deal. > >-scratch Before TMBGU was around, if you downloaded the WUFTM as an MP3 album, EMusic would send you a free CD of WUFTM. At the time, the speakers on my computer weren't working, so I didn't download much back then, but since there was a free CD involved, I did it anyway. The speaker problem was resolved (bought new speakers) so now I can hear WUFTM on either my computer or on one of 3 stereos I own. I actually prefer stuff on CD, as I don'y have to bne at my computer to listen to music. I am working on getting a CD-Rewriter so I can take all the MP3's off my computer and transfer onto a CD (they take up a lot of space on there!) Jen TMBG Ambassador to Utah _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 00:48:16 -0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: staying in the game Message-ID: PosterKid: > OK, I have a question: After Factory Showroom, TMBG didn't have a >record >label (well, except for eMusic) promoting them. Not entirely true. You're forgetting about Severe Tire Damage, originally planned as a one-off on the Restless label (although the band later decided to sign to Restless for Mink Car, too). At least one song from that album was played on the radio, so I guess that counts as "promotion." >So how on earth did They >maintain their following and basically not disappear off the face of the >earth? Well, I kind of get the feeling that even if TMBG DID disappear off the face of the Earth, they'd still maintain their following. (Of course, they wouldn't make any money from it.) You seem to be implying that, if a band stops releasing records, they'll lose all their fans, which doesn't seem to me to be true at all. And, of course, TMBG HASN'T disappeared, and projects like "Malcolm in the Middle" and the Austin Powers theme have probably given them more exposure than Elektra ever did (except possibly with Tiny Toons). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #43-5 *****************************