Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 1 Wednesday, 1 August 2001 Topics: Re:TMBG: Restless....Aint no thang TMBG: TMGB list access (was: Digest #43-24) TMBG: Re: TMGB list access (was: Digest #43-24) Re: TMBG: Re: Bad News About Restless Re: TMBG: Where oh where has my digest gone? TMBG: about that DaS TMBG: Mink Car on Emusic TMBG: Mink Car is Out TMBG: The Mink Car's Artwork and the DaS that hears it TMBG: Here's a review of mink car Re: TMBG: Here's a review of mink car TMBG: The new Cyclops Rock... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:31:01 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Restless....Aint no thang Message-ID: <1973807693@sterl.com> Yeah, unless he's looking to divest himself of his stock options, & doesn't want the value to drop til he does.... But don't mind me, that's just my rigorous indoctrination into the Skeptic Society talking... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: Restless....Aint no thang Author: Erich Date: 07/30/01 8:15 PM this is coming direct from TMBG manager at Resltess Records you have my word and my word is my bond.......um.....James Bond. "Restless will still be around.We have another company looking to fund us." So dont fret you crazy giantheads! Its alllllll good. Erich ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:03:01 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: TMBG: TMGB list access (was: Digest #43-24) Message-ID: <9k6dq1$s6t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" wrote in message news:LAW2-F120LAPDVXLuSb0000de11@hotmail.com... > > But digest is very hard to follow anyway-the number of emails in there can > really vary from day to day, and it was just too hard to follow-it just > totally drove me up the wall, so I switched back to the regular delivery. > It is so much more organized and easier to follow. Will NEVER go back to a > digest version again, on any list. It is so much easier and faster to read > 100 short emails than trying to decipher the important parts in a humongous > file sitting in your inbox just waiting for you to open it. But that is > just my opinion on the topic of digest version email-I'm sure some people > like it, I just don't happen to be one of them! > You should check out the tmbg list new format, and you don't even need Usenet access from your ISP to get it. Details here: http://www.tmbg.org/discussion/mail/ Then you can get really advanced and start giving your posts relevant subject lines. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:10:50 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMGB list access (was: Digest #43-24) Message-ID: <9k6hp6$vrd$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Yer Pal Paul" wrote in message news:9k6dq1$s6t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > You should check out the tmbg list new format, Oops. *news* format, that is. Carry on. YPP ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:44:06 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Bad News About Restless Message-ID: Erich: >Hmmm..... I didnt really believe it at first since the story had so much >focus on the giants, but still I kinda doubt the FINAL straw was the >"failure" of Boss of Me. I mean for one thing it never had a single >released in the US and with a song like that most would end up buying the >single and NOT the album.....like I did. (well i got the promo and now I >have the UK single) and then it would be on the charts ala how its now #21 >on the UK charts and thats significant so now Restless has it as a hit song >in the UK doesnt that count for something? > >Why didnt it get a single release in the U.S.? I think thats wierd. Apparently the single market isn't as large here as it is in Britain. The "Doctor Worm" EP was only commercially released there, as well. I would have liked for there to have been an American commercial EP release, but I suppose the label didn't consider it to be profitable. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:46:41 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Where oh where has my digest gone? Message-ID: Shaun: >Russ Josephson wrote in message >news:<3B657527.AC1759CF@st.com>... > > Hey! > > I haven't gotten my tmbg digest since last Tuesday. > > What's up? > > Russ > >That happened to me every once in a while when I was subscribed to the >digest version (I'm now on the newsgroup version of the mailing list--very >convenient if you ask me). There is an archive at tmbg.org wher you can >read past days' digests (http://www.tmbg.org/discussion/mail/list/). I >used >to check that out when I didn't get the digest for whatever reason it >sometimes doesn't come. I have been mysteriously unsubscribed from the list (in regular format, not digest) a few times. It hasn't happened recently, though. I suppose there are a few bugs in the system. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:32:15 EDT From: Fishandoranges@aol.com Subject: TMBG: about that DaS Message-ID: <49.eb2f9c8.28987ddf@aol.com> erm. i know this was a while ago, but my digests weren't coming, and i have this to add to the conversation on that weird DaS from last week. I was the person that that guy who left the recording was talking about...I wasn't sure if the Johns were promoting him or something, so i went to the site and emailed him...i ended up talking to the guy. apparently, he thought that he figured out a way to leave a message for tmbg by skipping the song. he had tried in the past, but this was the only time that it actually worked...except for not quite. he just wanted the johns to visit his website and listen to his DaS 2 (which, by the way, is terrible quality, though it does have new-ish songs, and the song from his band was really very good.) apparently, they did call his DaS, because they left a message, which is pretty cool....but anyway, it was unintentional and it recorded over the songs by accident...unfortunately now we're back to lazy head and sleepy bones.... sorry if this thread is worn out, i just thought that a first hand account might be appreciated.... -your friendly orange-flavoured fish- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:06:18 -0500 From: Andrew Boyle Subject: TMBG: Mink Car is Out Message-ID: ...at least on eMusic. Some excellent reworking of some of your favorite (or least favorites). BangsÁÁ3:11 Cyclops RockÁÁ2:38 Man, It's So Loud In HereÁÁ3:59 Mr. Xcitement With DoughtyÁÁ3:36 Another First KissÁÁ3:06 I've Got A FangÁÁ2:32 Yeh YehÁÁ2:40 Hopeless Bleak DispairÁÁ3:08 Drink!ÁÁ1:49 My ManÁÁ2:58 OlderÁÁ1:58 Mink CarÁÁ2:09 Wicked Little CrittaÁÁ2:12 Finished With LiesÁÁ3:18 She Thinks She's Edith HeadÁÁ2:37 Working Undercover For The ManÁÁ2:22 I, for one, am happy and giddily await my autographed copy. Andrew Boyle Orlando, FL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:28:11 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: The Mink Car's Artwork and the DaS that hears it Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010731181609.00a7a500@mail.aviationpage.com> The cover art for Mink Car is quite interesting. It reminds me of the instructions for the Model Aircraft I put together. I am downloading Mink Car from eMusic.com while I type this. Very slowly I might add. I watched Flying Tigers starring John Wayne and the download is only up to track 3. So far I like what I hear. But I am easy to please. As far as that DaS recording, here is what I think. It's in the past. Who cares what the intention, if any, was behind that. Maybe we should concentrate on more important things like why Barney plays Peek-A-Boo by himself sometimes. I wonder what the new DaS is now, or if it is that weird recording. *hunts around for his TMBG t-shirt to get the DaS number* It's Lazy Head / Sleepy Bones Ok. Now it's downloading track four. Mr. Xcitement. My thoughts? EWWWWWWWW ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:12:22 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Here's a review of mink car Message-ID: <6a.1160978c.2898bf86@aol.com> Ok i get the digest format of this list so I'm sure there's already a lot of reviews of Mink Car out there, but here's mine! (Just to let you know, I'm not going to compare any songs to of the demo versions we've heard from Unlimited...that's just a waste of time). Mink Car General thoughts.... This is probably TMBG's darkest album yet. More on that later. It seems like Mink Car is a rebuttal to Factory Showroom in some respects. People who don't like FS think that it was too Poppy, that everything on it was too neat and polished. Here many of the songs are intentionally raw and crazy. The first half of the album is a vast departure for TMBG. It sounds like nothing they've ever done before, yet many TMBG elements are there. Then as soon as I've Got a Fang ends the album becomes something you'd expect from the Giants. The second half of the album is much less intense. Let's go through the tracks.... 1 Bangs... It's fun. It's one of those songs that I know will grow on me. I'll love it one day and it will be boring another. It's happy and a tiny bit dark. (his fetish with bangs seems a bit twisted) 2 Cyclops Rock... Wow! TMBG's most raw rockin in-your-face song yet. I love this song! This is something that sounds best being blasted at full volume. Whoever the girl singing at the end is, she adds a nice touch. The lyrics are funny, and sassy and dark. 3 It's So Loud in Here... The single of the album. It's a great choice. This is TMBG's first venture into disco/dance music. It's very catchy without being annoying. It could use about ten seconds of drum beat from the head of the song, but other than that it's great. 4 Mr Xcitement... You gotta love any song that uses the word Hoobalicious! Sure the songs seems like it should be on a Doughty CD, but it fits in with Mink Car just fine for me. 5 Another First Kiss... A nice mellow songs. At this point the album needs to slow down a bit. I'm thinking the ladies will dig this song more than the guys, but some of us guys will secretly love this totally wimpy song. 6 I've Got a Fang... Yes Yes Yes keep rocking! No No No don't stop! Oh wait it did stop rocking in the middle... Thats too bad. But hey now it's rocking again. Dark hard core song for TMBG. Listen to it on headphones! It will melt your brain! 7 Hovering Sombrero... Classic TMBG stuff here. Catchy, and strange. Simple and effective. Kinda depressing lyrics... I feel sorry for that hat. 8 Yeh Yeh... More classic TMBG sound. It's fun. Check out the sax and the Joshua Fried-like voices screaming in the background during one verse. This could have come straight off of Flood or Misc. T. 9 Hopeless Bleak Despair... It really reminds me of something that I can't put my finger on. Whoever said it was a theological song was right. It will really grow on me. I can just tell. Kinda dark song here. 10 Drink... For me this is song is just kinda there. Again it's a dark song. I do like the accordion. Wouldn't miss it if it were cut. 11 My Man... A very happy song that at first sounds very gay. Then you notice it's about being paralized. Then it becomes yet another dark song. It grows on you. One of my favs. 12 Older... Starts out dull. Then it stays dull. Then the last verse is fun. All the sounds together and slightly off kilter make it cool. Fun in concert. I will say that I miss the pause after "time..." 13 Mink Car... Is it about getting hit by a car, loosing money, or making money? It's funny in theory that TMBG wrote an easy listening song. In theory. SKIP! 14 Wicked Little Critta... Silly, strange and catchy! A reprise of the first half of the album here. 15 Finished with Lies... Makes me want to buy Magnavox products. Damn you Magnavox for ruining a good song. This song is a bit dull. I wouldn't miss it. 16 Edith Head... It's Ok till the end. Then the soft speaking doesn't work. 17 Working Undercover for the Man... Pretty funny song. Pretty catchy too. Ends a dark album on a light note. They've made a few better albums, but they've made a few worse. I'm glad that TMBG after seven albums haven't mellowed out. In fact I think they've gotten edgier and louder. It's great to see them try new things. Some people are gonna be furious that it sounds different, but its better than getting stale! I give it an 8 out of 10. Yowza! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 04:55:00 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Here's a review of mink car Message-ID: Gegatron: >Ok i get the digest format of this list so I'm sure there's already a lot >of >reviews of Mink Car out there, but here's mine! Yours is the first that I've seen on this list. >(Just to let you know, I'm >not going to compare any songs to of the demo versions we've heard from >Unlimited...that's just a waste of time). What is this list for, if not for wasting time, though? >It seems like Mink Car is a rebuttal to Factory Showroom in some respects. >People who don't like FS think that it was too Poppy, that everything on it >was too neat and polished. I've seen some complaints to that effect, but I'm not sure it's the most common complaint about it. My two main gripes with FS are that it doesn't have enough songs, and the ones there don't flow as well as on some other albums. I don't know that my opinions are representative of the general TMBG-loving public, though. >6 I've Got a Fang... Yes Yes Yes keep rocking! No No No don't stop! Oh >wait it did stop rocking in the middle... Thats too bad. But hey now it's >rocking again. Dark hard core song for TMBG. Listen to it on headphones! >It will melt your brain! I haven't heard this version of "Fang," but your description, combined with what I already know about it, makes me think that's it's almost the opposite of the bright, happy music with somewhat dark lyrics that is somewhat common for TMBG. Here, we have a rather dark-sounding song with really silly lyrics. >8 Yeh Yeh... More classic TMBG sound. Kind of an interesting comment, considering that TMBG didn't write this one. >10 Drink... For me this is song is just kinda there. Again it's a dark >song. > I do like the accordion. Wouldn't miss it if it were cut. I don't know if I've heard the Mink Car version, but I really like that song. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:48:47 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: The new Cyclops Rock... Message-ID: Is it not PC to say 'like Nixon was sick' anymore, or something? :) I mean, Chucky's fine, but Nixon was funnier. :) Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-1 *****************************