Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 10 Friday, 10 August 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: BIG NEWS & and question Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it RE: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it TMBG: We've got Mink Car... Re: TMBG: We've got Mink Car... TMBG: No "No!" TMBG: dial a song TMBG: eMusic, new Album, and TechTV Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:12:19 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: BIG NEWS & and question Message-ID: Well it looks the same as the UK one. Which reminds me, I still have some UK 'Boss of Me' singles for sale at cost plus postage. It doesn't look as though it is coming out on Mink Car so how else are you going to get a copy? Apart from buy one from Australia! Email me off list if you want details Cheers Richard >>> "Dan Brosnan" 09/08/01 04:43:26 >>> Hi all, Big News: NEW TOUR DATES UP AT www.theymightbegiants.com and MORE TO COME! Hopefully they will hit all of our towns, Question: On Ebay there is an auction for a "Boss Of Me Aussie Cd". Is it the same as the UK single? Thanks - Dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:36:20 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not have The first two albums already. It was clearly a gimmick to sell more copies of the bar/none stuff by adding b-sides into the package and marketing it like a box-set. I don't care how they market it. I just wish that there *was* a new Misc T type of record, For the people who already owned Lincoln and TMBG pink. (which I suspect was most people who like TMBG anyway) -BRIAN >From: "makebase" >Reply-To: "makebase" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it >Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:07:27 -0600 > >I always thought that Then was a great deal. For one, I know of TMBG fans >that previously didn't have the Bar/None material. Second, for those of us >that did, we still got an entire album's worth of "new" material (material >that had not been readily available previously--I know a lot of it came >from >the demo tape, but I still don't have one of those after all these years.) >Getting Then was like getting "Misc T--the c-sides" or something. Also, >new >fans can just buy then, rather than having to buy TMBG, Lincoln and Misc T >now. > >-- >Shaun >www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > >Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message >news:F259wC6RZT26XOIRUlR00001de9@hotmail.com... > > Mitch! > > I know you will argue this point, but they *did* release lincoln >again... >as > > half of that 2cd early years... i thought that was a pretty cheap >trick. > > it should have been one cd of old stuff, since anyone who would have >bought > > it already had Lincoln and the pink/blue dog album. > > > > as for the new album: MR Xcitement is still shit. the rest is good >because > > it is TMBG, and what would they be w/out experimentation and new >directions. > > > > personally I was a bit disappointed by Black Francis' new Record for > > catholic people. > > > > -BRIAN > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:54:27 From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: >I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not have The >first two albums already. I can think of two people off the top of my head. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:07:57 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <30.18ee7d2d.28a4014d@aol.com> >>I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not have The first two albums already. I didn't have them. I had the others, but not those two. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:20:36 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <12c.2b04c6d.28a40444@aol.com> In a message dated 8/9/01 9:37:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lemurini@hotmail.com writes: > I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not have The > first two albums already. Me. > the bar/none stuff by adding > Yeah, and it was also a damn good way for people who might have gotten into TMBG through a friend to pick up a LOT of early stuff in one fell swoop, and for cheap, too. (Compare Then at $30 with three albums at $17 a pop...) -HX "I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) "Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!!" -Drunken Dutchmen www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:05:54 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kucn7$1cm7$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org You can get the bonus stuff alone from Emusic. As for the rest of your argument, it's like saying, "Why do I keep seeing Flood in record stores? I already have it. I can't think of a TMBG fan that doesn't. They should stop selling it. I don't want to buy it again." Well, not exactly I guess, because they're not enticing you to get "bonus" material by also buying Flood, but I assure you, there were/are enough people buying Then that didn't have the Bar/None stuff to make it worthwhile. You may be correct that it possibly wasn't a good deal for "you," seeing how you'd end up paying $30 for an EP's worth of new tracks (since you have the demo tape too), but such is not the case for everyone. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message news:F177y134IpLcEcLsXJB00002e2f@hotmail.com... > > Listen People- I am not saying it was morally wrong to include the > b-sides/demos with Lincoln and the Pink album. What I am saying was wrong > was that the b-sides/demos were *not* released as a separate album... if i > didn't have the first two already, then I would also have thought it was > great to get it all at a bargain price. the bad part was that I didn't want > to spend money on duplicate stuff, so I didn't. Plus I already had a copy > of the demo tape. > > -BRIAN > > > >From: EmarZero@aol.com > >Reply-To: EmarZero@aol.com > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it > >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:20:36 EDT > > > >In a message dated 8/9/01 9:37:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > >lemurini@hotmail.com writes: > > > > > > > I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not have > >The > > > first two albums already. > > > >Me. > > > > > the bar/none stuff by adding > > > > > > >Yeah, and it was also a damn good way for people who might have gotten into > >TMBG through a friend to pick up a LOT of early stuff in one fell swoop, > >and > >for cheap, too. (Compare Then at $30 with three albums at $17 a pop...) > > > >-HX > > > > > >"I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) > > > >"Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!!" -Drunken > >Dutchmen > > > >www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:33:41 -0400 From: johawny Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <3B72C965.46C9BE6@circapress.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > You may be correct > that it possibly wasn't a good deal for "you," seeing how you'd end up > paying $30 for an EP's worth of new tracks (since you have the demo tape > too), but such is not the case for everyone. Well, there was easily more than one EP's worth of bonus stuff too (15 tracks or something, right?). And the albums themselves were re-mastered. I had The Pink Album, Lincoln, and Misc T before buying Then and it still seemed like a bargain to me. Liner notes and whatnot. Plus it's nice to have it all on two discs. I remember Flansburgh saying something to the effect that they thought the two-disc set was a non-pretentious way to keep their early catalogue accessible and available. Oh, and lastly: Weep Day. Can't beat it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:09:53 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: Yeah, I remember in the beginning all I had were these tapes that some guy named Mitch made for his brother... In fact, I had never heard TMBG before, and I refused to admit they were the best band in the world. Then this "Mitch" guy made me stay up all night long and put maybe 4 songs from apollo18 and 3 songs from Lincoln on repeat all night long on his CD player. By morning, I had either been conditioned or brainwashed, but I loved TMBG. God I wish I knew what had happened to the man responsible for my love of TMBG... -BRIAN >From: Furfr@aol.com >To: >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it >Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:05:20 EDT > >lol I had them on homemade cassettes my brother made for me. I guess it >wasn't until after I saw a Then show that I became a TRUE freak fan and >needed them for real. ;) > >jennifer > >In a message dated Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:49:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >"Lemur Lemurhead" writes: > > > Buth those were the best!!! Didn't anyone tell you? > > :) > > -Brian > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:25:31 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: Yeah, I do have the other stuff from e-music, and that is good. and I think a better analogy for my argument would be: "they just re-released flood, with 4 extra tracks. that sucks- I have to buy flood again to get the extrta 4 tracks I don't have..." It would be better to sell un-released material separately from old stuff... packaging new things with old is a very old gimmick to increase sales of whatever isn't selling so great anymore. I whole-heartedly support the continued publishing of Flood, etc. but, its a cheap trick to take advantage of the average tmbg fan's fanaticism to get them to buy something like them:... -Brian >From: "makebase" >Reply-To: "makebase" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:05:54 -0600 > >You can get the bonus stuff alone from Emusic. As for the rest of your >argument, it's like saying, "Why do I keep seeing Flood in record stores? >I >already have it. I can't think of a TMBG fan that doesn't. They should >stop selling it. I don't want to buy it again." Well, not exactly I >guess, >because they're not enticing you to get "bonus" material by also buying >Flood, but I assure you, there were/are enough people buying Then that >didn't have the Bar/None stuff to make it worthwhile. You may be correct >that it possibly wasn't a good deal for "you," seeing how you'd end up >paying $30 for an EP's worth of new tracks (since you have the demo tape >too), but such is not the case for everyone. > >-- >Shaun >www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > >Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message >news:F177y134IpLcEcLsXJB00002e2f@hotmail.com... > > > > Listen People- I am not saying it was morally wrong to include the > > b-sides/demos with Lincoln and the Pink album. What I am saying was >wrong > > was that the b-sides/demos were *not* released as a separate album... >if >i > > didn't have the first two already, then I would also have thought it was > > great to get it all at a bargain price. the bad part was that I didn't >want > > to spend money on duplicate stuff, so I didn't. Plus I already had a >copy > > of the demo tape. > > > > -BRIAN > > > > > > >From: EmarZero@aol.com > > >Reply-To: EmarZero@aol.com > > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it > > >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:20:36 EDT > > > > > >In a message dated 8/9/01 9:37:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > > >lemurini@hotmail.com writes: > > > > > > > > > > I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not >have > > >The > > > > first two albums already. > > > > > >Me. > > > > > > > the bar/none stuff by adding > > > > > > > > > >Yeah, and it was also a damn good way for people who might have gotten >into > > >TMBG through a friend to pick up a LOT of early stuff in one fell >swoop, > > >and > > >for cheap, too. (Compare Then at $30 with three albums at $17 a >pop...) > > > > > >-HX > > > > > > > > >"I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) > > > > > >"Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu >!!!!!!!!!" -Drunken > > >Dutchmen > > > > > >www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:34:40 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: I would officially like to stop this inane thread... I wouldn't buy Then: but I know a lot of people who did. 'nuff said. didn't mean to bring up an argument... -BRIAN _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:42:22 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: Maybe, "Terrorists threatened to blow up children in a day care if we re-released hell hotel" would have been an acceptable justification for such an oversight. Maybe. -Brian ps. The fact that hell hotel was not on then was probably one of the reasons I did not buy then: in fact I would gladly pay 30 dollars for a remastered version of the demo-tape on cd. but no... >From: John Walker >To: 'Lemur Lemurhead' >Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:35:56 -0400 > > > No "hell hotel"? > > WTF was up with that? > > >There is no acceptable explanation for that oversight that I've ever heard. > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:49:31 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: I feel the need to remind everyone that we pay 10 dollars a month to be spoiled. and in return, we have the version we like best. if i hate the album version, I can just keep listening to the one I liked better. If I think robert lowell should be on mink car, i will make a cd with it on there in place of mr.xcitement, and pretend! -BRIAN >We HAVE been spoiled, but we've also been given a very rare opprotunity to >hear how the songs from out favorite artists grow and change over time. >It's very educational and at the same time gives us (or, the lucky ones of >us) some different versions of songs along the way. I, for one, can't wait >until the official release of Mink Car, and I'll be waiting in line to pick >one up on the first day, unlike I did for the new Cake CD which I now can't >find anywhere. > >Bleh. > >-Casey > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:59:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Matt James Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: Brian, ÁÁBelieve it or not there are a number of new TMBG fans that aren't fanatics or have not heard of TMBG but went to a show and thought, "Hey, these guys are good". This saves them a lot of money to get both albums plus the other stuff in one shot. ÁÁOn the other end of the spectrum you have folks on this list who most likely have all of the albums. They may have a number or all of the singles. They're fanatics and they want all of the artwork so they buy the vinyl albums and so on. It sounds like you might be one of these and the camp you describe with "the average tmbg fan's fanaticism" would push that person to be a collector, not just merely someone who buys some albums. They'd be happy to purchase Then because of the extra tracks or because of the artwork or whatnot. And like you said, if you really just want the extra stuff you can go on to e-music and get it, or you might have a DAS tape with it or a demo tape. It's out there separately. But the fact that you are a fanatic doesn't seem to fit the attitude of a fanatic. I'm not sure if I'm conveying that properly or not. If you were someone who simply was into TMBG for a little while in the late 80s early 90s maybe got a couple of their albums and those just happened to be the Pink album and Lincoln, well then I could see full reason why you wouldn't want to buy Then, it wouldn't be worth it to you. -Matt On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Lemur Lemurhead wrote: > Yeah, I do have the other stuff from e-music, and that is good. and I think > a better analogy for my argument would be: "they just re-released flood, > with 4 extra tracks. that sucks- I have to buy flood again to get the > extrta 4 tracks I don't have..." It would be better to sell un-released > material separately from old stuff... packaging new things with old is a > very old gimmick to increase sales of whatever isn't selling so great > anymore. I whole-heartedly support the continued publishing of Flood, etc. > but, its a cheap trick to take advantage of the average tmbg fan's > fanaticism to get them to buy something like them:... > > -Brian > > > > >From: "makebase" > >Reply-To: "makebase" > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it > >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:05:54 -0600 > > > >You can get the bonus stuff alone from Emusic. As for the rest of your > >argument, it's like saying, "Why do I keep seeing Flood in record stores? > >I > >already have it. I can't think of a TMBG fan that doesn't. They should > >stop selling it. I don't want to buy it again." Well, not exactly I > >guess, > >because they're not enticing you to get "bonus" material by also buying > >Flood, but I assure you, there were/are enough people buying Then that > >didn't have the Bar/None stuff to make it worthwhile. You may be correct > >that it possibly wasn't a good deal for "you," seeing how you'd end up > >paying $30 for an EP's worth of new tracks (since you have the demo tape > >too), but such is not the case for everyone. > > > >-- > >Shaun > >www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > > > > >Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message > >news:F177y134IpLcEcLsXJB00002e2f@hotmail.com... > > > > > > Listen People- I am not saying it was morally wrong to include the > > > b-sides/demos with Lincoln and the Pink album. What I am saying was > >wrong > > > was that the b-sides/demos were *not* released as a separate album... > >if > >i > > > didn't have the first two already, then I would also have thought it was > > > great to get it all at a bargain price. the bad part was that I didn't > >want > > > to spend money on duplicate stuff, so I didn't. Plus I already had a > >copy > > > of the demo tape. > > > > > > -BRIAN > > > > > > > > > >From: EmarZero@aol.com > > > >Reply-To: EmarZero@aol.com > > > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it > > > >Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:20:36 EDT > > > > > > > >In a message dated 8/9/01 9:37:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > > > >lemurini@hotmail.com writes: > > > > > > > > > > > > > I can't think of a single person who likes TMBG and who does not > >have > > > >The > > > > > first two albums already. > > > > > > > >Me. > > > > > > > > > the bar/none stuff by adding > > > > > > > > > > > > >Yeah, and it was also a damn good way for people who might have gotten > >into > > > >TMBG through a friend to pick up a LOT of early stuff in one fell > >swoop, > > > >and > > > >for cheap, too. (Compare Then at $30 with three albums at $17 a > >pop...) > > > > > > > >-HX > > > > > > > > > > > >"I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) > > > > > > > >"Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu > >!!!!!!!!!" -Drunken > > > >Dutchmen > > > > > > > >www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. > > > > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at > >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > > > > > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:00:25 -0500 From: Mitch Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <3B72EBD9.4A964A58@tmbg.org> Lemur Lemurhead wrote: > God I wish I knew what had happened to the man responsible for my love of > TMBG... I think he was hit by a truck! Zorba www.mitcharf.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:41:41 -0400 From: "Ryan Bauer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kuskf$1sks$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org What we have to remember, like it or not, is that TMBG are more than a band. They're a business. We could sit around all day and yack about the things that they've done that piss us off... or we can swallow hard and remind ourselves that TMBG is the best band ever, and they need to do things in their best interest as well. I don't know why Edith and Older were thrown on Mink... but what we're forgetting is that there are 15 other tracks on this disc. God! Factory Showroom only had 13! (One of my favs though.) The way I look at it is that the majority of the tracks absolutely rock, a few could go either way, and two have been re-recorded and released again with alternate versions. Did anybody here get their panties in this much of a wad when the 3 Beatles anthologies were released? Guess what? There were 6 discs and only about 20 minutes of unreleased songs. I applaud the boys for giving us something new, fresh and different. Mostly. BTW... I've been waiting on Mink to come out so that I can do my TMBG compilation CD for my 2 hour commute to and from work every day. I don't know that I can condense 20 years of TMBG down to 74 mins. So much good stuff. So few megs. Have fun! Ryan. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:29:08 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kuvjr$1vhm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message news:F182ufmSSP9ZARgqPCf00003245@hotmail.com... > Yeah, I do have the other stuff from e-music, and that is good. and I think > a better analogy for my argument would be: "they just re-released flood, > with 4 extra tracks. that sucks- I have to buy flood again to get the > extrta 4 tracks I don't have..." It would be better to sell un-released > material separately from old stuff... packaging new things with old is a > very old gimmick to increase sales of whatever isn't selling so great > anymore. I whole-heartedly support the continued publishing of Flood, etc. > but, its a cheap trick to take advantage of the average tmbg fan's > fanaticism to get them to buy something like them:... > Yeah, my analogy was weak. However, I disagree with the "cheap trick" comment. It's their prerogative if they want to release the old with the new. We're not being "tricked" into buying anything. We all know what we're buying. The same people who won't buy singles for the b-sides are the same people who won't buy the Flood+4 CD you hypothesize. And, nobody who thinks that $30 is too much for 15 new songs (or in your case fewer) won't get Then. Nobody has spent more money than they're willing to spend. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:32:57 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kuvp1$1vue$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Sorry. I wrote this before reading your post saying you were tired of discussing this. Have a nice day! -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ makebase wrote in message news:9kuvjr$1vhm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > Lemur Lemurhead wrote in message > news:F182ufmSSP9ZARgqPCf00003245@hotmail.com... > > Yeah, I do have the other stuff from e-music, and that is good. and I > think > > a better analogy for my argument would be: "they just re-released > flood, > > with 4 extra tracks. that sucks- I have to buy flood again to get the > > extrta 4 tracks I don't have..." It would be better to sell un-released > > material separately from old stuff... packaging new things with old is a > > very old gimmick to increase sales of whatever isn't selling so great > > anymore. I whole-heartedly support the continued publishing of Flood, > etc. > > but, its a cheap trick to take advantage of the average tmbg fan's > > fanaticism to get them to buy something like them:... > > > > Yeah, my analogy was weak. However, I disagree with the "cheap trick" > comment. It's their prerogative if they want to release the old with the > new. We're not being "tricked" into buying anything. We all know what > we're buying. The same people who won't buy singles for the b-sides are the > same people who won't buy the Flood+4 CD you hypothesize. And, nobody who > thinks that $30 is too much for 15 new songs (or in your case fewer) won't > get Then. Nobody has spent more money than they're willing to spend. > > -- > Shaun > www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:19:02 -0400 From: "Ryan Bauer" Subject: TMBG: We've got Mink Car... Message-ID: <9kv2b3$226h$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Anyone else itchin' for "no!"? I'm pretty sure we've gotten the bulk thru Unltd... but I can't wait to see what Chopping Block does with the interactive stuff. I plan on buying a few and giving them out to my little cousins and nephews for the holidays. Gotta' start them on TMBG early on! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:00:06 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: We've got Mink Car... Message-ID: <39.18db3b7d.28a46ff6@aol.com> In a message dated 8/9/2001 6:22:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ryan@ryanbauer.com writes: > Anyone else itchin' for "no!"? > > I'm pretty sure we've gotten the bulk thru Unltd... but I can't wait to see > what Chopping Block does with the interactive stuff. > > I plan on buying a few and giving them out to my little cousins and nephews > for the holidays. > > According to the setlist on tmbg.com/no, there are three songs that haven't been released in any form (Bed, Bed, Bed, The House at the Top of the Tree, and Where Do They Make Balloons). Sadly, though, it looks like No is once again without a label (they were recently dropped by Sony Wonder). *sigh* Let's all hope they find another label soon. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:38:38 EDT From: Iloveflansy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: dial a song Message-ID: <2f.190fba7b.28a4a32e@aol.com> fun new dial a song. very fun. very exciting. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-10 ******************************