Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 18 Saturday, 18 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: Flood is a million seller TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller TMBG: Re: TMBG Photos TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Photos TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller TMBG: Re: toronto show.. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:46:02 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Flood is a million seller Message-ID: <4d.10025caa.28ae25ba@aol.com> << The www.riaa.com clearly states that Flood only went gold, just a week and a half before the 4th anniversary of the album's release. >> Just because the RIAA hasn't certified something as platinum doesn't mean it hasn't sold more than a million copies. The record company or the artist has to *pay* for it to be certified otherwise they won't do it. In fact, according to SoundScan, it has sold 1.4 million copies. It probably passed the million mark after the band left Elektra so the label didn't bother to get it certified. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:19:56 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller Message-ID: <9lius7$1rk1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org PosterKid1@aol.com> wrote in message news:4d.10025caa.28ae25ba@aol.com... > << The www.riaa.com clearly states that Flood only went gold, just a week and > a half before the 4th anniversary of the album's release. >> > > Just because the RIAA hasn't certified something as platinum doesn't mean > it hasn't sold more than a million copies. The record company or the artist > has to *pay* for it to be certified otherwise they won't do it. > In fact, according to SoundScan, it has sold 1.4 million copies. It > probably passed the million mark after the band left Elektra so the label > didn't bother to get it certified. You are probably correct about Elektra not bothering to pay for RIAA certification because TMBG were no longer on the label. I was not aware that SoundScan says that many were sold. That's an impressive number, but sadly, it's still not platinum status. The RIAA certification audit is much more thorough, as it takes into account not only over-the-counter retail sales, but returns (yielding net sales) and sales through mail order clubs like BMG and Columbia House. Who knows without an RIAA audit how such considerations would alter the 1.4M number? I can't imagine that 30% of the copies sold were returned, and a number of copies must have been purchased through non-traditional means like BMG. What is interesting about the idea of Elektra possibly not wanting to pay for certification is this: it's cheap. Well, cheap for a corporation. For RIAA members, it costs $350, non-members $450. If the audit runs longer than 30 days, then the price goes up an additional $100 for members and $200 for non-members. I'm sure that Elektra must be a member and $450 could probably come out of the mailroom's petty cash. If they're so concerned about publishing gold and platinum records, you'd think they'd want another one hanging on their wall. Also, couldn't TMBG themselves shell out the money for the certification themselves? I'm sure they spend more money than that on coffee in a few months. Restless might even want to shell out the money. Wouldn't they like to have a(nother) platinum artist on their label? Even better if they stole that group from a larger label after they had reached the platinum level. Heck, let's have a bake sale and get Flood certified ourselves, even. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:51:23 -0400 From: "Father Bingo" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Photos Message-ID: <9ljb4a$26bj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Make Them Look Hey! Also at that site is info on Pinback's new album! http://girlieaction.com/pinback/pinback-index.html my older brother runs Ace Fu, the record label it's on. neet! wrote in message news:78.1946c4f5.28adb557@cs.com... > Just found some other photos from the same sessions as those on the Restless > site: http://www.girlieaction.com/tmbg/. The "grim reapers" photo is a hoot! > > Mary Beth ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:06:41 -0500 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller Message-ID: <9ljj4a$2e05$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "makebase" wrote in message news:9lius7$1rk1$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > PosterKid1@aol.com> wrote in message news:4d.10025caa.28ae25ba@aol.com... > > << The www.riaa.com clearly states that Flood only went gold, just a week > and > > a half before the 4th anniversary of the album's release. >> > > > > Just because the RIAA hasn't certified something as platinum doesn't > mean > > it hasn't sold more than a million copies. The record company or the > artist > > has to *pay* for it to be certified otherwise they won't do it. > > In fact, according to SoundScan, it has sold 1.4 million copies. It > > probably passed the million mark after the band left Elektra so the label > > didn't bother to get it certified. > > You are probably correct about Elektra not bothering to pay for RIAA > certification because TMBG were no longer on the label. I was not aware > that SoundScan says that many were sold. That's an impressive number, but > sadly, it's still not platinum status. The RIAA certification audit is much > more thorough, as it takes into account not only over-the-counter retail > sales, but returns (yielding net sales) and sales through mail order clubs > like BMG and Columbia House. Who knows without an RIAA audit how such > considerations would alter the 1.4M number? I can't imagine that 30% of the > copies sold were returned, and a number of copies must have been purchased > through non-traditional means like BMG. > > What is interesting about the idea of Elektra possibly not wanting to pay > for certification is this: it's cheap. Well, cheap for a corporation. For > RIAA members, it costs $350, non-members $450. If the audit runs longer > than 30 days, then the price goes up an additional $100 for members and $200 > for non-members. I'm sure that Elektra must be a member and $450 could > probably come out of the mailroom's petty cash. If they're so concerned > about publishing gold and platinum records, you'd think they'd want anothe r > one hanging on their wall. Also, couldn't TMBG themselves shell out the > money for the certification themselves? I'm sure they spend more money than > that on coffee in a few months. Restless might even want to shell out the > money. Wouldn't they like to have a(nother) platinum artist on their label? > Even better if they stole that group from a larger label after they had > reached the platinum level. Heck, let's have a bake sale and get Flood > certified ourselves, even. > -- > Shaun > www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:08:17 -0500 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller Message-ID: <9ljj7a$2e3n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > Heck, let's have a bake sale and get Flood certified ourselves, first off sorry bout that last letter again, and secondly i can make a mean batch of cookies :) wolfie click bake click bake ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:09:40 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Photos Message-ID: In a message dated 8/16/01 9:40:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Vazco@aol.com writes: > > Just found some other photos from the same sessions as those on the > Restless > > site: http://www.girlieaction.com/tmbg/. The "grim reapers" photo is a > I like the "Linnell and Flansburgh: Agents Of A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.!" one best. They look like ...well, secret agents from an old TV show. Which rules. -HX. like cheesy pop culture? check out Mexican Wrestling Movie Week at www.sexsexworld.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:00:24 -0500 From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Flood is a million seller Message-ID: <9lk3ht$2tu5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > > Heck, let's have a bake sale and get Flood certified ourselves, > > > > first off sorry bout that last letter again, > > and secondly i can make a mean batch of cookies :) > > > > wolfie > > click bake click bake > > > > > > If I may say so myself, I make great brownies. That's good! We'll attract Phish phans too. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:57:22 -0400 From: Simon Hamelin Subject: TMBG: Re: toronto show.. Message-ID: <3B7DA152.5C570BDE@naboo.cx> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Chrissy Rockwell wrote: > I am going to be attending the 10/20 show at the Guvernment in Toronto.. > I have questions for you.. > do people line up early like the east coast kids normally do? > I get to shows at like 5 oclock in nyc and philly and I am not the first > person there... > If I do go to line up early where do I go? It looks like 2 clubs in one. > Is anyone here going to be there? > Chrissy I didn't even knew there was a show in toronto! hmmm seems that the dates on theymightbegiants.com are not updated as frequently as tmbg.com. I'll probably go, do you know when the tickets will be for sale? Simon ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-18 ******************************