Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 25 Saturday, 25 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: The Impossibles Re: TMBG: The Impossibles TMBG: about shows around st louis and hello Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Re: TMBG: Delurking and needs direction Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Re: TMBG: The Impossibles TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff TMBG: Re: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:35:42 -0500 From: Mitch Harding Subject: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: <3B86744D.387E3F0E@tmbg.org> Organization: AIX kernel support and serviceability John Ferrer wrote: > Wow, the Impossibles. There's a band I never hear anyone reference. I'll use > this opportunity to wholeheartedly reccomend them to any TMBG fan. It > boggles my mind how they aren't immensely famous, but I'm glad they're not. Yeah, the Impossibles are pretty awesome, I must concur. I only found out about them because they were on a ska compilation I got a while back. Evidently they're a well kept secret. Where are they based out of? Why don't ya want 'em to be immensely famous? Mitch! www.mitcharf.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:28:02 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: > >John Ferrer wrote: > > Wow, the Impossibles. There's a band I never hear anyone reference. I'll >use > > this opportunity to wholeheartedly reccomend them to any TMBG fan. It > > boggles my mind how they aren't immensely famous, but I'm glad they're >not. > >Yeah, the Impossibles are pretty awesome, I must concur. I only found >out about them because they were on a ska compilation I got a while >back. Evidently they're a well kept secret. Where are they based out >of? > >Why don't ya want 'em to be immensely famous? > >Mitch! >www.mitcharf.com Most of the info that can be found is at theimpossibles.net . I don't want them to be famous because they're music is ridiculously catchy, and I think they would catch on with the type of people that like Blink-182 and Sum 41 and other bands with numbers in their names, and be completely misunderstood by all. I just don't think it would be pretty. It's not the same reason I don't want bands like TMBG and the Residents to be insanely popular. That's just because I'm selfish and the public at large doesn't always deserve to hear such greatness. I'll let them buy Mink Car. (Just kidding.) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:46:45 -0700 (PDT) From: Laura Helbling Subject: TMBG: about shows around st louis and hello Message-ID: <20010824164645.10076.qmail@web13408.mail.yahoo.com> Hello there. It is I, Laura. (no of course you dont remember me. i was somewhat active on the list, like, i dunno 2 or 3 years ago..i was also on tmbgofftopic for quite some time, havent checked that out lately...but i've been doing quite a bit of lurking here lately.) yeh. well, this is to mr. iforgethisname from St. Louis (sorry, i really do care about you but i'm tired and i dont remember your name). Yay St. Louis! ok, yeah the one in sauget, is relatively close to downtown, and is about 20 minutes from my house (i think) meanwhile, the one in columbia is like 2 hours away, about. hope that helps you. it doesnt help me though, because i still dont know which one i am going to. ( i am 15 by the way, and i dont usually hang around east st louis much and there are about a hundred other issues involved, such as the possibility of trying to convert people and so forth. but i'm not gonna bore you (haha too late). if anyone wants, email me at torndowngarage@yahoo.com well,i am gonna shut up now Laura the3is_silent@hotmail.com __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:45:14 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: <9m60el$104b$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org It might interest some people that like all of the Impossibles stuff is on emusic... Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:01:35 -0400 From: "Frederick Holloran" Subject: Re: TMBG: Delurking and needs direction Message-ID: Wow, the Impossibles. There's a band I never hear anyone reference. I'll use this opportunity to wholeheartedly reccomend them to any TMBG fan. It boggles my mind how they aren't immensely famous, but I'm glad they're not. (But oops, we're not allowed to talk about OTHER bands...) Indeed! I saw them play in CT not too long ago with Grade. Very Very good. Now everyone go download songs! GO! er. to make this relevant. um. I like the Bruce Lee Band's cover of She's an Angel. yeah. there we go. -f "The caribou love [the Alaska Pipeline}. They rub up against it, and they have babies." -Bush Sr., New York Times, Jan. 17, 1992 _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:10:30 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: <3B868A86.283A1B7C@campuspipeline.com> Er, got an URL? An emusic search comes up blank. Marcus B wrote: > > It might interest some people that like all of the Impossibles stuff is on > emusic... > > Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:17:05 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: <9m62ae$123n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Yeah, you'll notice a search for They Might Be Giants does the same right now.... emusic is messed up.. trust me, the Impossibles are there Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:28:35 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: The Impossibles Message-ID: <3B868EC3.DE544418@campuspipeline.com> Ah, there they are: http://www.emusic.com/artists/15152 Marcus B wrote: > > Yeah, you'll notice a search for They Might Be Giants does the same right > now.... emusic is messed up.. trust me, the Impossibles are there > > Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:13:50 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Message-ID: <3B86B57B.90BBF155@pacificnet.net> I haven't been keeping up with the list during the last couple of months. Now I'm confused about many things. 1) What is "They Might Be Giants in Holidayland"? (The first and only time I heard it mentioned was in a recent Flans email.) 2) Last week, I downloaded the album "Mink Car" from emusic. Are these the final versions of the songs as they will appear on the CD? 3) What's the status on "No!"? Is anyone interested in releasing it? 4) If "No!" is released will the songs be they same versions as on emusic or will they be remade like so many of the "Mink Car" tracks? 5) Any word on singles/EPs for in Mink Car? 6) Was there ever a studio version of the rock version of "Man, Its So Loud In Here" recorded or released? I only have a live webcast version. The last time I asked about this, some swore there was a studio version but no one had any details on it. Thanks! Never only just a hat, B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:28:22 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Message-ID: <12d.38f72a3.28b812e6@aol.com> > I haven't been keeping up with the list during the last couple of months. Again? Shame, shame, hehe > Now I'm confused about many things. > > > 1) What is "They Might Be Giants in Holidayland"? (The first and only time I > heard it mentioned was in a recent Flans email.) It's going to be a holiday-themed ep consisting of all-previously released material. Since it's a "holiday" ep rather than a strictly "Christmas" one, I'd expect "Feast of Lights" to be on there. It will be released some time in October, presumably so people can order it in time for the holidays. Some cover art was up on the Chopping Block website, but they hid it when some folks on the newsgroup found it and everyone started checking it out. > > 2) Last week, I downloaded the album "Mink Car" from emusic. Are these the > final versions of the songs as they will appear on the CD? > Yep > 3) What's the status on "No!"? Is anyone interested in releasing it? > Nope :( It appears to be in permanent limbo. > 4) If "No!" is released will the songs be they same versions as on emusic or > will they be remade like so many of the "Mink Car" tracks? > Although anything is possible, nothing has been said that would indicate that they would be different versions. > 5) Any word on singles/EPs for in Mink Car? > The first single is almost certainly going to be "Man, It's So Loud In Here." Before the Chopping Block took down all of the preview art, they had all of the cover art for the single. It apparently will be a radio promo only, with no b-sides other than remixes of the single. Which of course means that we'll still have to wait for a studio version of Thunderbird :( > 6) Was there ever a studio version of the rock version of "Man, Its So Loud > In > Here" recorded or released? I only have a live webcast version. The last > time I > asked about this, some swore there was a studio version but no one had any > details on it. > Couldn't tell ya. > Welcome! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:18:34 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Message-ID: <3B873525.6212A754@pacificnet.net> Thanks for the info. I used to post several times a day but I got distracted lately. Kaylum@aol.com wrote: (about Holidayland) > > It's going to be a holiday-themed ep consisting of all-previously > released > material. Since it's a "holiday" ep rather than a strictly "Christmas" > one, > I'd expect "Feast of Lights" to be on there. I was hoping you'd say that! Hopefully it will have Mono Puff and Johnny Hart holiday tunes too. If they exclude "Santa Claus" I won't exactly be heartbroken but they might as well throw it for the sake of completeness. You can fit 80 min of music on a CD. That should give them room to include them ALL plus add a few new tracks. >> >> 2) Last week, I downloaded the album "Mink Car" from emusic. Are >> these the >> final versions of the songs as they will appear on the CD? > >> > > > Yep > In that case stayed tuned for my review coming to a TMBG list near you. > > > >> 3) What's the status on "No!"? Is anyone interested in releasing >> it? > > Nope :( It appears to be in permanent limbo. > I think I'm going to put all the "No!" tracks on one CD (plus some songs I thought should be on it like "Shooting Star" "Clown Town" and Monsters of Mud") I'm going to call it "not No!". > > >> 4) If "No!" is released will the songs be they same versions as on >> emusic or >> will they be remade like so many of the "Mink Car" tracks? > > Although anything is possible, nothing has been said that would > indicate that > they would be different versions. I think its superb as is. Although it would be cool to have new versions, I would rather the world hear it as it is. Thanks again to everyone for the info. B O N G O ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-25 ******************************