Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 27 Monday, 27 August 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff TMBG: Holidayland EP Re: TMBG: Holidayland EP Re: TMBG: 99x Atlanta show Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 00:10:51 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: 6 Questions on Recent TMBG Stuff Message-ID: <3B88A0F4.E186F36D@pacificnet.net> Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > > > >> Am I the only one who thinks it would be cool if it was just a bunch >> of NEW >> holiday songs? > > 'Course not, but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. Some of > TMBG's > holiday songs are either part of non-TMBG compilations (l"Feast of > Lights"), > only in mp3 format as far as we know ("Olive, The Other Reindeer"), or > only > available in some other non-cd format ("O, Tannenbaum," "Christmas > Cards"), > so this could be a great way to fix that. > > Kay Personally, my favorite TMBG (related) holiday tune is "Olive, The Other Reindeer" but I seriously doubt it will be on there for three reasons: Its not a TMBG tune, its tied into a copyrighted book and if this is going to be an EP it will probably only have about 5 songs on it. I just hope they don't waste one of those valuable 5 slots on "Christmas Cards" or "Santa Claus" (but I bet they will.) It WOULD be nice to have all new songs. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:28:26 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Holidayland EP Message-ID: <10.1188e593.28ba537a@aol.com> In a message dated 8/26/01 6:10:53 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << True, but this is specifically slated as an ep...aren't there limits on how many songs an ep can have before it technically becomes an lp? >> Well, the EP started out as a seven-inch record that got played at 33 1/3 RPM instead of 45, so the band could squeeze more songs on it -- hence the term EP, short for "extended play." It usually meant three or four songs (and a seven-inch that had a small hole in the middle instead of a big one). Now that we're in the CD era, the term is a little more abstract, but EP vs. LP seems to be an equation that takes includes total running time, number of songs, amount of previously released material and the magnitude of the artistic statement the musician wants to make. If you ask me, anything with ten or more tracks is definitely an LP although I'm sure there are plenty of full-fledged albums with much less. So basically, EP vs. LP is a state of mind. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:08:00 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Holidayland EP Message-ID: <49.ff7cd2c.28ba5cc0@aol.com> In a message dated 8/26/01 9:29:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, PosterKid1@aol.com writes: > If you ask me, anything with ten or more tracks is definitely an LP > although I'm sure there are plenty of full-fledged albums with much less. > So > basically, EP vs. LP is a state of mind. > You've also got things like Catch-22's (EXCELLENT AS FUCK) "Washed Up" LP, which had four listed tracks, and then virtually an entire live set as hidden/bonus material... -HX "I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) "Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!!" -Drunken Dutchmen www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-27 ******************************