Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 30 Thursday, 30 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: How to do the unltd thing? TMBG: Re: How to do the unltd thing? Re: TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide TMBG: Re: How to do the unltd thing? Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:04:59 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: TMBG: How to do the unltd thing? Message-ID: <1607758403@sterl.com> I have never subscribed to tmbg unltd (nothing personal, purely financial, I assure you...) so I don't have a clue how to go about it. Couple things in particular I need help with: Can I just pick up a month here & there, as I have the $$$s? Or is it a yearly thing? And i noticed at the Emusic site they try to get people to sign up for their free trial, & give out free d/ls during the trial period. Can I take unltd tracks as my freebies? And if i do, is that taking money out of tmbg's pockets? If they don't get paid for freebies, I'll spring for the month, but if I can get it as my trial selections without losing them money, that would help me. Somebody let me know how this works... Of course, Lil Miss Procrastinator here waits til there's only 2 days left to the month before realizing she doesn't know what the eff she's doing.... Thanks, Anybody - Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:34:35 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: How to do the unltd thing? Message-ID: <3B8D199B.70206342@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Well, you can do it month-by-month, but I believe it costs twice as much. Also, you only get the freebies for a 1-year subscription. You can get unlimited tracks as your trial tracks, but only ones from the current month. Older months are no longer available. I don't think it's clear if TMBG lose money when you do this. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:57:46 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <9mj6u1$lmu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Yipe! Is this available on-line somewhere, or could someone kindly post a transcript? Hi John and John. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. wrote in message news:1228432799@sterl.com... Hey, even misspelled, TV Guide is no small potatoes... Hey, that's how Hanson got their start...! :::ducking & covering my head against the inevitable hail of stones & curses::: Karin H **FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Author: Mbrosendale@cs.com Date: 08/27/01 6:04 PM In the September 1-7 issue of TV Guide, on sale today, there is a small article about TMBG (page 6, in the "Insider" section). The article, entitled "New York Giants" comes complete with color photo, the obligatory misspelled name and a mention of Mink Car. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:57:06 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Re: How to do the unltd thing? Message-ID: <9mj74f$ltm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Karin : > And i noticed at the Emusic site they try to get people to > sign up for their free trial, & give out free d/ls during the > trial period. Can I take unltd tracks as my freebies? Yes, during the one-month trial of TMBG Unlimited, you have access to EMusic's entire library, including the current issue of TMBGU and whatever back issues happen to be online, if any. They let you download, what, 100 files for free? > And if i do, is that taking money out of tmbg's pockets? I don't think so, no more so than downloading any other material. You could argue that since it's taking money out of EMusic's pockets, there's less money overall that they can then pass along to our boys, but if this promotional offer were causing them to lose money I don't think they would be making it. > Of course, Lil Miss Procrastinator here waits til there's only 2 > days left to the month before realizing she doesn't know what > the eff she's doing.... I know that email from Flans made it sound like time was running out on your chance to get back issues, but in truth, back issues aren't guaranteed to be available even now. As I type this, for example, they're not. (Not even from the "my account" page! That's disturbing.) Well, half-truth there. The files are probably available, but not from EMusic's main site. They have a content server that actually dishes out the files, and I'm pretty sure the back issues are always up there, but you have to know the URLs in advance. And for that matter, the URLs could be subject to change. Bryce You'll never go back. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:46:11 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <26.1a7dbc4d.28be8463@aol.com> Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side note, signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit your 100 mp3 limit yet. Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but it's not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? -Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:50:08 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <61.12ac0cf1.28be8550@aol.com> Cool short tune, rather. Bah, my mid day typos. -Erika ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:35:40 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <3B8D440C.C535D6AB@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side note, > signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit your 100 > mp3 limit yet. Don't worry about it, they're keeping track on their servers... I'm sure they'll let you know when you've hit your limit. > Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but it's > not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? It's mixed in with the other mp3s. And for some reason, a search for "we might be giants too" only reveals one of them. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:39:24 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <3B8D44EC.2699A923@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org scratch wrote: > > Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > > > Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side note, > > signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit your 100 > > mp3 limit yet. > > Don't worry about it, they're keeping track on their servers... I'm sure > they'll let you know when you've hit your limit. > > > Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but it's > > not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? > > It's mixed in with the other mp3s. And for some reason, a search for > "we might be giants too" only reveals one of them. After trying a few more things, I found out that searching for "we might be giants" does show all of them. -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:38:12 -0400 From: "Chris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <9mjgei$vms$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org i think they are posted as wmbgt artists chris scratch wrote in message news:3B8D440C.C535D6AB@the-pentagon.com... > > > Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > > > Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side note, > > signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit your 100 > > mp3 limit yet. > > Don't worry about it, they're keeping track on their servers... I'm sure > they'll let you know when you've hit your limit. > > > Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but it's > > not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? > > It's mixed in with the other mp3s. And for some reason, a search for > "we might be giants too" only reveals one of them. > > -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:26:56 -0400 From: "John" Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <004b01c130f2$dd1f00e0$498d570c@s0023454586> [Mink Car promo picture of Flans and Linnell in car, Linnell holding steering wheel] "New York Giants" Sometimes being rock stars is too much. Tired of touring to promote their CDs, They Might Be Giants took a break in 1996 to make music for TV and movies. "It was a good way to stay home for a while," says John Linell (above, right, with John Flansburgh). Since then, the Brooklyn, New York, duo have done the Malcolm in the Middle theme and written songs for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." TMBG even reworked the Daily Show theme to mock the overly serious tone of nightly news programs. "We were [told] to cook up the most bombastic news music ever," says Linell. These gigs have gained them more recognition than before: A small but loyal following can hum such goofball classics as "Minimum Wage," but what TV viewer doesn't the the Malcolm theme song? ("You're not the boss of me now/You're not the boss of me now/And you're not so big!") Now they've gotten so big in Hollywood that promoting their new CD, Mink Car, may be the vacation they've needed all along. -Amy Kover Yes, unfortunately, Linnell's name was spelled wrong, but at least they got a decent sized article. And hey, the loyal following is even mentioned. We're famous now. ~Mr. Tambo ----- Original Message ----- From: "Yer Pal Paul" To: Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 12:57 PM Subject: Re: Re:TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide > Yipe! > > Is this available on-line somewhere, or could someone kindly post a > transcript? > > Hi John and John. > > Yer Pal Paul > Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. > > > wrote in message news:1228432799@sterl.com... > Hey, even misspelled, TV Guide is no small potatoes... Hey, that's how > Hanson got their start...! :::ducking & covering my head against the > inevitable hail of stones & curses::: > Karin H > **FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > ____________________Reply Separator____________________ > Subject: TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide > Author: Mbrosendale@cs.com > Date: 08/27/01 6:04 PM > > In the September 1-7 issue of TV Guide, on sale today, there is a small > article about TMBG (page 6, in the "Insider" section). The article, > entitled > "New York Giants" comes complete with color photo, the obligatory > misspelled > name and a mention of Mink Car. > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-30 ******************************