Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 31 Friday, 31 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide TMBG: Toronto tickets... Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Re[2]: Re:TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Non-TMBG: MIA Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic TMBG: Review of MiscT featured in my updates! Re: TMBG: Review of MiscT featured in my updates! TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants TMBG: Columbia post-show dinner Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants RE: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants TMBG: setlists, pics, reviews for this tour - TMBG.net Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: TMBG: setlists, pics, reviews for this tour - TMBG.net TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Re: Non-TMBG: MIA TMBG: tmbg.com Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Re: Non-TMBG: MIA TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds TMBG: Re: tmbg.com Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost TMBG: GIANT NEWS! Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:30:32 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <73.123e2e3e.28bf99f8@aol.com> - In a message dated 8/30/01 6:11:00 AM, Tambo writes: << And hey, the loyal following is even mentioned. We're famous now. >> OK, here's a dumb question waiting for some intelligent answers: Exactly why *is* the following so loyal? What does the band do to inspire this loyalty? - ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:46:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Cowley Subject: TMBG: Toronto tickets... Message-ID: <20010830134609.30202.qmail@web13804.mail.yahoo.com> Anybody know when Toronto tickets go on sale and where? The American ticketmaster has all the dates around the Toronto show on sale but not the Toronto one and the Canadian ticketmaster site has nothing under TMBG. Help! Rob ===== "It's Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!" __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger http://im.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:50:57 EDT From: SCJoniGuy@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <45.b892d5d.28bf9ec2@aol.com> <> I would suggest a couple of things: -They're wildly creative and imaginative and unique in an era where most music is dreadfully derivative; -Despite what *WE* may think, they're not hugely popular so we still feel like they're our private joy. We feel special to be able to appreciate them. -Their records are consistently good; they follow their own muses instead of industry trends, and they're typically successful with their choices. -They're accessible! They don't pretend to be pretentious rock stars, they act like real people, like us. They have a genuine love for what they do and they love making it accessible as well via telephone, internet, etc. -They're amazingly clever and funny and don't take themselves too seriously. That's a couple of reasons. Bob NP: Tom Waits, "Emotional Weather Report" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:05:12 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: Re:TMBG: TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <1176670267@sterl.com> "A small but loyal following can hum such goofball classics as "Minimum Wage" "????? WHAT???Where do they come up with this crap?? First, the "goofball" crack; I can actually live with "quirky" (unlike some), but "goofball"? Goofball is Dr Demento, goofball is Spike Jones, goofball is Weird Al at his worst. I can not think of a single TMBG song that could be characterized as "goofball". Anything that might possibly qualify is immediately disqualified by having some depth, and in addition I believe it's physically impossible for goofball and irony to coexist in a song, so the "goofball" label is just screwed. Second, how the hell do you hum "Minimum Wage"??? Yeah, right, I stroll the halls here at work, going "Heeyaaahh", and making whip cracking noises..... If they were going to just pick a song title at random to sound like they were down wit da G, they could have picked Much better. But I guess lame is better than nothing. Okay, here endeth the rant. Thank you for your patience, We now return you to your regularly scheduled List.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:27:17 EDT From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Subject: Non-TMBG: MIA Message-ID: <152.2905a8.28bfa745@aol.com> Does anyone know what ever happened to Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? It's been a long time since I've read the digest, and I was hoping someone might even remember who I'm talking about. Thanks in advance. Arwen "even older" AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:55:37 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:TMBG in TV Guide Message-ID: <3B8E61F9.A9A111D0@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > >OK, here's a dumb question waiting for some intelligent answers: Exactly > why *is* >the following so loyal? What does the band do to inspire this > loyalty? > > Oh, you know. It's all those subliminal and backwards messages you keep > hearing.They're still there, even if you don't know it! Not only that, all the songs about hypnotists and spiraling shapes and spys... they're true!! -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:41:03 -0400 From: "Father Bingo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <9mlqe0$31s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: Make Them Look searching for "wmbgt" will give you all the possible songs for album #2 searching for "we might be" will give you the first album adam, if you're reading this, it'd be really cool to have a separate page that has all the covers you're hosting, wmbgt and "real" ones. yay. -mike "scratch" wrote in message news:3B8D44EC.2699A923@the-pentagon.com... > > > scratch wrote: > > > > Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > > > > > Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side note, > > > signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit your 100 > > > mp3 limit yet. > > > > Don't worry about it, they're keeping track on their servers... I'm sure > > they'll let you know when you've hit your limit. > > > > > Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but it's > > > not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? > > > > It's mixed in with the other mp3s. And for some reason, a search for > > "we might be giants too" only reveals one of them. > > After trying a few more things, I found out that searching for "we might > be giants" does show all of them. > > -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:54:39 +0000 From: Mike Thompson Subject: TMBG: Review of MiscT featured in my updates! Message-ID: <20010830165439.19113.qmail@venus.postmark.net> Hey all-- Haven't done a TMBG update for my site in a while, so last night I did one. I updated the TMBG news, and added a review of Miscellaneous T. Go to my site, located at http://lavender.fortunecity.com/fullmonty/22/mywebpage.htm and you can find your way to the TMBG section from there. And while you're at my site, sign my guestbook! Mike -- "Secret of Management, #436: I'm with stupid."--Jimmy James, "Newsradio" My site: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/fullmonty/22/mywebpage.htm ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:10:07 EDT From: SCJoniGuy@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Review of MiscT featured in my updates! Message-ID: <7c.1ab57bd3.28bfcd70@aol.com> <> Nice little addition there, Mike...I would argue about "For Science" being one of the high spots of the collection, but taste is a relative thing. Also conspicuous in absence was the mention of "Lady Is A Tramp", the Rodgers-Hart chestnut. Is that the oldest song they've ever recorded? I would guess so but not sure. And ironically, one of the more compelling tracks has always been #13. I suppose they've never given a title to that one? I always feel like I shouldn't be listening to it, like I'm eavesdropping or something. Maybe that's the track's appeal. Of course when they released "Now & Then" it made Miscellaneous T pretty superfluous. Matter of fact, I just sold mine on E-Bay this week. Bob NP: Tom Waits, "Spare Parts II" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:00:57 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <1390919102@sterl.com> I sense a disturbing absence of the words "Prospect Park, Brooklyn" in the update. Should we be worried? Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:03:39 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <3B8E8E0B.1A35CD43@campuspipeline.com> Indeed, I was just lamenting the absense of the word "Utah".... Ambassadors, get organizing concerts already. or something. > I sense a disturbing absence of the words "Prospect Park, Brooklyn" in the update. Should we be worried? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:23:31 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: ÁÁNew Mexico didn't show up, either, and I've figured out why... On the days where TMBG would be heading through this state, The Crystal Method has booked the venue They played last time they were here. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, though. It's hard to be mad at a group that can put a sample as cool as 'No, motherf***er, you were the man a minute ago!' in one of their songs. That, and I'm moving to Cali soon enough, anyway. :) Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ('Til December) -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Chris Nuccitelli Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:04 PM Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Indeed, I was just lamenting the absense of the word "Utah".... Ambassadors, get organizing concerts already. or something. > I sense a disturbing absence of the words "Prospect Park, Brooklyn" in the update. Should we be worried? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:41:56 EDT From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <17.1ab392fa.28bfff15@aol.com> could someone be kind enough to either post or forward me the note from JF..I always get them, but for some reason this one did not get to me. Thank you very much.... Mario ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:58:57 EDT From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Columbia post-show dinner Message-ID: <14.19c72506.28c01121@aol.com> Hello 41- Quick note to all those that will be taking advantage of the free show at Columbia on Saturday, I'm trying to organize a bunch of people to go to the legendary Tom's Diner afterwards. It's the diner featured in Seinfeld, and in the song "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega. It's on Broadway, a few blocks down from the Columbia campus. Good eats and the best milkshakes in the city. Be there! ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:56:44 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <9mmd5d$mn8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Chris Nuccitelli wrote in message news:3B8E8E0B.1A35CD43@campuspipeline.com... > Indeed, I was just lamenting the absense of the word "Utah".... > Ambassadors, get organizing concerts already. or something. > > > I sense a disturbing absence of the words "Prospect Park, Brooklyn" in the update. Should we be worried? To: The Most Honorable Operator Dot, TMBG Ambassador to TMBG From: makebase, TMBG Ambassador Emeritus to the People's Republic of Utah, Assistant to the reigning TMBG Ambassador to Utah On behalf of Utah's 16 million TMBG citizens, I formally invite They Might Be Giants and their associates to the Great State of Utah. When a date is confirmed, I will personally send a letter to our sometime-noble governor, Michael O. Leavitt, formally requesting that the date of the concert be proclaimed "They Might Be Giants Day" in Utah, complete with a parade, paid day of vacation for all of Utah's residents, and ritual feast of green Jello. If such a concert date is confirmed I would like to promise that the show will sell out, record sales will skyrocket, and world peace will follow. Lamentably, I cannot promise that, but I can say that the good people of Utah will be much appreciative. Thank you very much for your time. I sincerely hope that this invitation does not fall on deaf ears. They Might Be Giants are the greatest musicians in history and we would be honored to attend a They Might Be Giants concert in the Beehive State. Sincerely, -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:05:17 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <9mmdlg$ndp$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nicholas Wolf wrote in message news:OBEJKCONOOCJPIKHLPGICEHPCCAA.refund@nmt.edu... > New Mexico didn't show up, either, and I've figured out why... On the days > where TMBG would be heading through this state, The Crystal Method has > booked the venue They played last time they were here. I guess I shouldn't > complain too much, though. It's hard to be mad at a group that can put a > sample as cool as 'No, motherf***er, you were the man a minute ago!' in one > of their songs. That, and I'm moving to Cali soon enough, anyway. :) > > Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ('Til December) For your benefit, Ambassador of Ambassadors, I present the list of tour dates I have compiled for my website: 08/31 Notre Dame, IN Stepan Center 09/01 New York, NY Columbia University* 09/07 New York, NY Late Night with Conan O'Brien (NBC) 09/10 New York, NY New York & Company (WNYC) 09/10 New York, NY Tower Records (4th & Broadway) 09/12 Boise, ID Big Easy Concert House** 09/13 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre 09/14 Eugene, OR Eugene Celebration 09/15 Portland, OR Reed College*** 09/16 Portland, OR McMenamins Crystal Ballroom 09/18 Santa Jose, CA The Usual 09/19 San Francisco, CA Warfield 09/20 Sacramento, CA CSUS, Union Balroom 09/21 Santa Cruz, CA Catalyst 09/22 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre 09/23 Scottsdale, AZ Cajun House 09/24 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theater 09/26 Austin, TX Stubbs 09/27 Dallas, TX Gypsy Tea Room 09/28 Baton Rouge, LA The Varsity 09/29 New Orleans, LA House of Blues 10/08 Kansas City, KS Baeumont Club 10/09 Omaha, NE Royal Grove 10/10 Minneapolis, MN First Ave 10/11 Iowa City, IA University of Iowa 10/12 Columbia, MO The Blue Note 10/13 Sauget, IL Pops 10/15 Madison, WI Barrymore Theater 10/17 DeKalb, IL House of Blues 10/18 Urbana, IL The Canopy 10/19 Chicago, IL Riviera 10/20 Toronto, ON The Guvernment 10/21 Cleveland, OH The Odeon 10/23 Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theatre 10/24 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall (Preshow Party)**** 10/24 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall 10/25 Pittsburgh, PA Club Laga 10/27 Providence, RI Lupo's 10/29 New Haven, CT Toad's Place 10/30 Boston, MA Avalon September 24 may interest you. I can't remember where I got every single date from, but you can try pollstar.com, ticketmaster.com, tickets.com, tmbg.com, and theymightbegiants.com, which are my principle resources. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:30:17 -0600 From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: Ah, if only this were happy news. According to Ticketmaster, tickets are not on sale for that show because it has been cancelled. Signed, ÁÁNicholas Wolf ÁÁTMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ('Til December) -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of makebase Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 4:05 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Nicholas Wolf wrote in message news:OBEJKCONOOCJPIKHLPGICEHPCCAA.refund@nmt.edu... > New Mexico didn't show up, either, and I've figured out why... On the days > where TMBG would be heading through this state, The Crystal Method has > booked the venue They played last time they were here. I guess I shouldn't > complain too much, though. It's hard to be mad at a group that can put a > sample as cool as 'No, motherf***er, you were the man a minute ago!' in one > of their songs. That, and I'm moving to Cali soon enough, anyway. :) > > Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ('Til December) For your benefit, Ambassador of Ambassadors, I present the list of tour dates I have compiled for my website: 08/31 Notre Dame, IN Stepan Center 09/01 New York, NY Columbia University* 09/07 New York, NY Late Night with Conan O'Brien (NBC) 09/10 New York, NY New York & Company (WNYC) 09/10 New York, NY Tower Records (4th & Broadway) 09/12 Boise, ID Big Easy Concert House** 09/13 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre 09/14 Eugene, OR Eugene Celebration 09/15 Portland, OR Reed College*** 09/16 Portland, OR McMenamins Crystal Ballroom 09/18 Santa Jose, CA The Usual 09/19 San Francisco, CA Warfield 09/20 Sacramento, CA CSUS, Union Balroom 09/21 Santa Cruz, CA Catalyst 09/22 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre 09/23 Scottsdale, AZ Cajun House 09/24 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theater 09/26 Austin, TX Stubbs 09/27 Dallas, TX Gypsy Tea Room 09/28 Baton Rouge, LA The Varsity 09/29 New Orleans, LA House of Blues 10/08 Kansas City, KS Baeumont Club 10/09 Omaha, NE Royal Grove 10/10 Minneapolis, MN First Ave 10/11 Iowa City, IA University of Iowa 10/12 Columbia, MO The Blue Note 10/13 Sauget, IL Pops 10/15 Madison, WI Barrymore Theater 10/17 DeKalb, IL House of Blues 10/18 Urbana, IL The Canopy 10/19 Chicago, IL Riviera 10/20 Toronto, ON The Guvernment 10/21 Cleveland, OH The Odeon 10/23 Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theatre 10/24 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall (Preshow Party)**** 10/24 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall 10/25 Pittsburgh, PA Club Laga 10/27 Providence, RI Lupo's 10/29 New Haven, CT Toad's Place 10/30 Boston, MA Avalon September 24 may interest you. I can't remember where I got every single date from, but you can try pollstar.com, ticketmaster.com, tickets.com, tmbg.com, and theymightbegiants.com, which are my principle resources. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:37:00 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:A note from John Flansburgh of They Might be Giants Message-ID: <9mmfh8$pe3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nicholas Wolf wrote in message news:OBEJKCONOOCJPIKHLPGIGEIACCAA.refund@nmt.edu... > Ah, if only this were happy news. According to Ticketmaster, tickets are not > on sale for that show because it has been cancelled. > > Signed, > Nicholas Wolf > TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ('Til December) I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't know. My sincerest apologies if I got your hopes up. I guess we can add NM to the states without TMBG dates: NV, NM, UT, MT, WY,CO, OK, SD, ND, WI, AR, AL, MS, FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, VA, WV, VT, NH, ME, AK, HI, MD, DE, NJ, not to mention DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, and 9 out of 10 Canadian provinces. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:55:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: setlists, pics, reviews for this tour - TMBG.net Message-ID: Hey, So as of right now tmbg.net is up to date with all submissions! This does not include the ongoing project of compiling pictures from specific shows and linking them from the shows page on tmbg.net... Please keep sending pictures or links to pictures and eventually that will all get done.. This is a plea for people to please please please send in setlists and reviews from this upcoming tour... The setlists will be lost if not for you guys, if you happen to grab one off stage or have a recording of the show please send in the setlist to tmbg.net. Hopefully we can compile a complete and accurate list of setlists for this whole tour! An unrelated thing: tmbg are playing conan on my birthday... happy birthday to me. yes -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:01:49 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Free song at Emusic Message-ID: <3B8EC5DD.1B6A1FF5@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "wmbgt" gives me 3 results. -scratch Father Bingo wrote: > > searching for "wmbgt" will give you all the possible songs for album #2 > searching for "we might be" will give you the first album > > adam, if you're reading this, it'd be really cool to have a separate page > that has all the covers you're hosting, wmbgt and "real" ones. yay. > -mike > > "scratch" wrote in message > news:3B8D44EC.2699A923@the-pentagon.com... > > > > > > scratch wrote: > > > > > > Film2Edit@aol.com wrote: > > > > > > > > Downloaded that last night. Strange, but coon short tune. On a side > note, > > > > signed up on emusic recently. Not sure how they can tell you've hit > your 100 > > > > mp3 limit yet. > > > > > > Don't worry about it, they're keeping track on their servers... I'm sure > > > they'll let you know when you've hit your limit. > > > > > > > Had tried to find the "We Might Be Giant, Too!" album on Twisted, but > it's > > > > not there, or on its home page. Where might I be able to find them? > > > > > > It's mixed in with the other mp3s. And for some reason, a search for > > > "we might be giants too" only reveals one of them. > > > > After trying a few more things, I found out that searching for "we might > > be giants" does show all of them. > > > > -scratch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:24:53 -0700 From: "Bryan T. Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: setlists, pics, reviews for this tour - TMBG.net Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010830162337.00a95bb8@mail.aviationpage.com> It's looking pretty good. I wish I could contribute but the only TMBG conert I have been to so far is the Feb 3rd HoB one and I have the recall of a lima bean so I can't remember the set list. At 03:55 PM 8/30/2001, you wrote: >Hey, > >So as of right now tmbg.net is up to date with all submissions! This does >not include the ongoing project of compiling pictures from specific shows >and linking them from the shows page on tmbg.net... Please keep sending >pictures or links to pictures and eventually that will all get done.. > >This is a plea for people to please please please send in setlists and >reviews from this upcoming tour... The setlists will be lost if not for >you guys, if you happen to grab one off stage or have a recording of the >show please send in the setlist to tmbg.net. Hopefully we can compile a >complete and accurate list of setlists for this whole tour! > >An unrelated thing: tmbg are playing conan on my birthday... happy >birthday to me. > >yes > >-- >Jish >TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page >http://www.tmbg.net/ > >"If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:29:46 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Message-ID: <3B8EDA77.81901D66@pacificnet.net> I have a lot of praise for the Johns. Today though, I have a complaint. About three years ago, someone on this list did an audio interview with John Linnell. One of the things he asked Linnell was how he felt about fans trading bootlegs of live shows. Linnell's response was that it was okay yet he seemed a bit unhappy about it. Then he went on about how people need to realize that they make their living with their music and he could easily foresee times being financially hard for them. I got the impression that he really frowned on the whole idea. In another interview, Flansburgh ridiculed live bootlegs saying how the clearest parts of the tapes (or the most interesting, I can't remember which) were audience members' personal conversations during the show. Flash forward a year or so later to the release of "Severe Tire Damage". Suddenly, the idea of fans taping shows must not be such a bad idea since that CD contained several fan bootlegs. The band either didn't have the foresight or take the effort to record this stuff. Its a good thing someone did. Apparently, these were important recordings to them since they put nearly 15 minutes worth of them on the CD despite the poor sound quality. So the message, to me, seems to be to tape their shows every chance you get. That's the minor part of my complaint. In that same fan interview, Linnell sternly warned that they don't want to be videotaped when they perform and how they hate to see that red "record" light of video cameras when they look out into the audience. I don't know his reason for saying that but I felt that anyone that likes the band enough to come to their shows would want to respect that wish. But now we get an email from the TMBG announce list asking us to help them out by sending them videotapes of their live shows for use in the upcoming concert movie. This is going to send a message to fans that they *should* be videotaping the shows. And they'd be right to think that because you never know they'll request them. Finally, in that same interview, Linnell was upset about unreleased studio tracks being passed around by fans. It seems to me he was talking about the "Factory Showroom out takes". That inspired me to preach against them being available for download on fan web pages but I won't protest it anymore since they seemed to contradict everything else they said in that interview. In a couple years they'll probably say they misplaced those versions of the songs and ask the fans to send them the MP3s. (Besides, I feel a little burned by emusic charging so much for TMBG UnLtd when so many of the tracks are glitchy and non-exclusive.) Other than that, keep up the great work John and John! :) -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:34:47 EDT From: BethJE@aol.com Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: MIA Message-ID: <16e.117a55.28c035a7@aol.com> Arwen "even older" AnaNg > Does anyone know what ever happened to Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? I do. > It's > been a long time since I've read the digest, and I was hoping someone might > even remember who I'm talking about. Thanks in advance. Jim K is no longer on thsi list, I think, but he is on the offtopic list. Mike is on neither list, but he has a webcomic here: http://fatjesus.keenspace.com/ And in case you were also wondering about Bob Scott, he, too has a webcomic here: http://www.eagledna.com/ Beth I Mike and Bob. :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:43:27 EDT From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Subject: TMBG: tmbg.com Message-ID: <146.c90895.28c037af@aol.com> Can anyone give me the dates and places that TMBG will be in PA (If any)? I can't access tmbg.com, for some odd reason. many thanks ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community "I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:10:14 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Message-ID: <3B8EE3F6.349478B7@fruhead.com> (I apologise for not quoting, but there was too much, and the line breaks were all messed up) just because they don't like it doesn't mean they can't take advantage of it. so they don't like being video taped. but they know videos exist. are they going to tell people to destroy them? of course not. yes, it may have made them somewhat uncomfortable while those videos were being made, but they're made now, and if they add something interesting to the film, then that's cool. the same goes for audio recordings. they may not like the idea of people taping their shows, but they know it happens. (and actually, they *don't* mind bootlegs, as long as they're good quality - they don't want people to be exposed to bad recordings of them - and that people don't make a profit from it. but at the same time, they won't go out of their way to get you into a club with recording equipment, the way some bands do) and really, I'm sure they probably wouldn't mind video being taken if it *didn't* distract them. (i.e. from the back with a nice zoom lens) -- lawrence solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "I stole your hat and I hanged your cat, so tell me how you love me now." ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ -Moxy Fryvous ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:11:32 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Message-ID: <14c.2fbbc8.28c03e44@aol.com> In a message dated 8/30/2001 8:57:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, alphafoxtrot@aviationpage.com writes: > I just got a feeling that a lot of what we read, see, and hear on these > interviews are all being prompted to them and until either of them actually > stop at a concert and ask to stop with the pictures, filming, etc... I don't think they've ever had a problem with pictures being taken (although they've both been known to complain about flash photography, it's the venue that sets the policy of whether cameras are allowed or not), but I personally witnessed Flans making someone with a video camera leave a show. > Maybe they will take the hint and actually record a concert and dump it to > tape or maybe DVD for us to see. > That's presumably what they did/are doing for the documentary. No idea if there's a dvd planned, but that would totally rock. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:29:04 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: MIA Message-ID: <141.c67976.28c04260@aol.com> In a message dated 8/30/01 10:27:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ArwenAnaNg@aol.com writes: > Does anyone know what ever happened to Jim Kuemmerle or Mike Leffel? Mike Leffel is a webcomic superstar now. -HX, was a webcomic superstar, until his untimely death by monkey. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:11:43 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010830221143.007f5760@fisticuffs.org> At 05:57 PM 8/30/01 -0700, Bryan T. Hoerber wrote: > Like >that whole Audiophile interview on TechTV. When they asked them what do >they think of napster, flans says "We learned that stealing is wrong." What >is that exactly? To me that sounds like it doesn't even answer the >question. Uh. I think that's kind of the point. They don't want to have an *official* position on Napster and stuff like that - and you know what? That's fine. Frankly, on that subject they're damned in the do and damned if they don't - they're either supporting copyright violation or they look like uncool jackasses - either way, the get shit from fans like you. Geez. Let them evade the question in peace. >I just got a feeling that a lot of what we read, see, and hear on these >interviews are all being prompted to them and until either of them actually >stop at a concert and ask to stop with the pictures, filming, etc... Who? Who is prompting them? I don't know. They seem like pretty independent guys to me. -mandy -- "Doesn't take much time for plans to change and offer up another chance for a little bit more service and repair..." http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:14:16 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Wanna Make Up Their Minds Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010830221416.007f5b80@fisticuffs.org> [blah blah stuff i wrote] >they're damned in the do Clearly, that should be "if they" in there. -mandy -- "Doesn't take much time for plans to change and offer up another chance for a little bit more service and repair..." http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:16:11 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg.com Message-ID: <9mmvn8$1acd$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org wrote in message news:146.c90895.28c037af@aol.com... > Can anyone give me the dates and places that TMBG will be in PA (If any)? I > can't access tmbg.com, for some odd reason. many thanks > > ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com > Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community > "I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" > 10/25 Pittsburgh, PA Club Laga -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:33:07 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost Message-ID: I suppose you could buy the TMBGU songs one month at a time. There is the option for people to buy just one whole album ($8.99, I think),just one song ($0.99), or something in between (@ $0.99 ea) if they desired to. I would guess that option could possibly extend to TMBGU as well. However since it would be a one-off and not a subscription, you wouldn't get the perks like the free autographed copy of Mink Car or the cozy pullover fleece (I love mine!) >From: garrett27@juno.com >Reply-To: garrett27@juno.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:45:24 -0700 > >Someone asked about this: > >ÁÁ6.1ÁÁBy registering for the Service, you agree to pay $9.99 per month for >a minimum period of twelve months. Subject to the terms in Section 6.7 >below, your subscription will continue automatically at the monthly rate >applicable to the Service which you have selected unless terminated by >EMusic or until you notify EMusic of your decision to terminate the >Service. Upon the expiration of the initial period, your subscription >will automatically renew on a month to month basis at the same monthly >rate, unless you elect to terminate the Service or enroll in another >version of the Service. > >And if you cancel before the 12 months is up, you still get charged for >the months remaining. > > > >________________________________________________________________ >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! >Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:42:47 -0500 From: "Jay G" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Unlimited Cost Message-ID: <9mn11d$1bmk$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" wrote in message news:LAW2-F57vrqXMMIgUsZ0000a9d5@hotmail.com... > > I suppose you could buy the TMBGU songs one month at a time. There is the > option for people to buy just one whole album ($8.99, I think),just one song > ($0.99), or something in between (@ $0.99 ea) if they desired to. I would > guess that option could possibly extend to TMBGU as well. I'm pretty sure TMBGU is unlimited only access, so you'd need to either use the free trial, or go unlimited one month at a time. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:45:38 -0700 From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: GIANT NEWS! Message-ID: They Might Be Giants will be doing an in-store performance at Urban Outfitters in Seattle, WA on Thrusday September 13th at 3pm. How do I know? I work there and set it up! We've planned an all-out Mink Car promotion for the first half of September, were already playing the album and will be selling it in the store. There also will be an autograph session! So if your near the Seattle are you should not miss this day! It's going to be huge! Just so there is no confusion its just the Seattle store doing the promo, all other Urbans should be playing Mink Car come September 11th. Erich ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-31 ******************************