Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 4 Saturday, 4 August 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-3 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-3 TMBG: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? TMBG: Free Cd with TMBG TMBG: Let's pause for a moment while I wring out my napkin. Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? TMBG: Re: Free Cd with TMBG TMBG: Docu show info needed TMBG: Re: Vanity Plates Re: TMBG: Docu show info needed Re: TMBG: Re: Vanity Plates Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Free Samples of Mink Car Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Re: Docu show info needed TMBG: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... RE: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... TMBG: Like Flansy in a soda can TMBG: mink car reviews and suggestion about it TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it TMBG: Re: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Re: TMBG: Re: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it TMBG: FW: TMBG Unlimited service... Re: TMBG: FW: TMBG Unlimited service... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:06:51 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <3B6A3F7B.E40C36DB@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org 4. Mr. Excitement w/ Doughty Originally an instrumental, this track was put together from manipulations of various horn samples from the Velcro Horns, Dan Levine and Jim O'Connor. The beats were then super-sized with wild sonic manipulations and real live scratching by beatmeisters The Elegant Too, but when Doughty (former front-person for the infamously excellent Soul Coughing) heard it, he insisted on taking the track home where he cooked up the crazy rhymes, which we are still trying to decode. Besides, what about O Do Not Forsake Me? Neither of the Johns sang that one... -scratch "Bryan T, Hoerber" wrote: > > Oh Wow! Mr. Xcrement. That describes it perfectly!!! > > What I can't figure out is why they have a Doughtry song on the Mink Car CD > in the first place. I mean this is a TMBG CD not a Soul Coughing or > Doughtry CD. If they want to do a compilation type thing they should go > back to doing the Hello club. > > At 10:30 PM 8/2/2001, Joseph Andri wrote: > > > 4. Mr Xcitement - Mr Xcrement > > > >Lex? You got this one? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:35:18 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: scratch: >4. Mr. Excitement w/ Doughty >Originally an instrumental, this track was put together from >manipulations of various horn samples from the Velcro Horns, Dan Levine >and Jim O'Connor. The beats were then super-sized with wild sonic >manipulations and real live scratching by beatmeisters The Elegant Too, >but when Doughty (former front-person for the infamously excellent Soul >Coughing) heard it, he insisted on taking the track home where he cooked >up the crazy rhymes, which we are still trying to decode. > >Besides, what about O Do Not Forsake Me? Neither of the Johns sang that >one... Flansburgh wrote both the music and the lyrics, and sang the demo. He just thought Hudson Shad could sing it better (and he was right). This description makes it sound like the Johns didn't have much to do with "Mr. Xcitement" at all, except maybe putting the samples together in the first place. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 01:06:14 -0700 From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: My god man your a genius! You've stumbled on the ONE and ONLY collaboration between two artists! What the hell were they thinking teaming one artist from one band with another band!!!!????? this is madness and not common practice at all....HELLO!!!!! Have you been living on mars with your eyes shut tight and your fingers in your ears? This happens all the time! And its a very good thing! No you dont have to LIKE the song but there is absolutly nothing...NOTHING wrong with two artists collaborating. I dont undertsand why everyones getting in such a bratty tizzy over this team-up. First of all Soul Coughing and TMBG come from the same town bands that play in the same city often become friends look at the Soundgarden/Pearl Jam collabe awhile back, both Seattle bands. And its just a guest vocal anyway. Did you all get like this when you heard Dr. Evil? or In the Middle? or Boat of Car for that matter? Nope, nope, nope. Waaaahhh whats Doughty doing on a TMBG CD waaaaaahhh. um.....would ya be pissed if a John guest vocaled on someone else song? uh like maybe when they 'Walk on Water' by Otis Ball? Man I bet the Otis Ball mail list went nuts! "How dare the may be giants guys ruin a Ball song! yes i know Otis Ball aint big enough to warrent a mailing list but still the point has been.....said. *sigh* Erich >What I can't figure out is why they have a Doughtry song on the Mink Car CD >in the first place. I mean this is a TMBG CD not a Soul Coughing or >Doughtry CD. If they want to do a compilation type thing they should go >back to doing the Hello club. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:31:12 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010803011042.00acd770@mail.aviationpage.com> This is much more than a guest vocal. This is a guest song, something more suited for a concert. Not a CD. I am just glad they are in MP3 format. After I listened to it the first thing I did was PGP Wipe that MP3 to get that rubbish off of my Zip Disk. As far as In The Middle that's another song I don't like, along with Boat of Car. And no I didn't get in such a bratty tizzy when Kevin Gilbert wrote songs for Sheryl Crow's album. Because he didn't sing on her album! It was Sheryl Crow, not Kevin Gilbert on there. Even if it had TMBG doing it instead of Doughty I still wouldn't like it. This song to me seems more suited for a cheesy Comic Book super-hero to Movie soundtrack during a poorly choreographed fight sequence. After all Dr. Evil was written for the movie. At 01:06 AM 8/3/2001, you wrote: >My god man your a genius! You've stumbled on the ONE and ONLY collaboration >between two artists! What the hell were they thinking teaming one artist >from one band with another band!!!!????? this is madness and not common [SNIP] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 08:14:35 -0500 From: "Lemur Lemurhead" Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: You are so wrong! Mr Doughty Used to rock. Until he made this song. Now he sucks like nobody's business! I mean, in a bad way! -Brian >From: Scot Westwood >Reply-To: Scot Westwood >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:52:23 -0700 (PDT) > >Mr. Xcitement may not be a TMBG song, but I think its >one of the best Doughty songs yet, Doughty Rocks!! > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger >http://phonecard.yahoo.com/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:52:07 EDT From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-3 Message-ID: <36.1982a3b0.289c0688@aol.com> Hello 41- Just a few notes... << What I can't figure out is why they have a Doughtry song on the Mink Car CD in the first place. I mean this is a TMBG CD not a Soul Coughing or Doughtry CD. If they want to do a compilation type thing they should go back to doing the Hello club.>> I don't remember who said this, but were you one of those people who didn't like O Do Not Forsake Me? TMBG works with different artists on lots of different songs, and Mr. Xcitement is just one of them. I think this song is great. Doughty rocks, and is made even better when backed by TMBG. Oh, and who's getting pierogies for lunch with me on Sunday in Greenpoint? 8^) ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:04:46 -0400 From: "lees" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-3 Message-ID: <200108031004.AA287113776@megahits.com> I'll see you there Adam! ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Reply-To: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:52:07 EDT >Hello 41- > >Just a few notes... > ><< What I can't figure out is why they have a Doughtry song on the Mink Car CD in the first place. I mean this is a TMBG CD not a Soul Coughing or Doughtry CD. If they want to do a compilation type thing they should go back to doing the Hello club.>> > >I don't remember who said this, but were you one of those people who didn't like O Do Not Forsake Me? TMBG works with different artists on lots of different songs, and Mr. Xcitement is just one of them. I think this song is great. Doughty rocks, and is made even better when backed by TMBG. > >Oh, and who's getting pierogies for lunch with me on Sunday in Greenpoint? 8^) > >~Adam > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:50:31 -0400 From: cambot@juno.com Subject: TMBG: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: <20010803.105032.-335083.0.cambot@juno.com> Hi. I'm not sure if I sent this to the right address for the digest (I haven't posted for quite some time), so my apologies in advance if 20 of these end up in your in-box. I just recently subscribed to TMBG Unlimited & i have the July mp3s & Mink Car (which methinks is TMBG's weakest effort yet) but I was wondering if there was any way to get the other month's mp3s. I think somebody covered this about a month or two ago but I deleted the digest it was in... damn my incessant cleaning of my inbox! So if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated GREATLY. Yes, greatly is in caps - that's how much I would appreciate it. cheers Steve PS, For those Ben Folds fans on the list, Rockin' the Suburbs is gonna blow you away... ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:41:21 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: <9kegi2$237n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org uh oh you better watch out the last time marcus posted how to get the old unlimited mp3s to the ng the superfans had a field day and almost crucified him.. *prays for your soul* Chrissy wrote in message news:20010803.105032.-335083.0.cambot@juno.com... > Hi. I'm not sure if I sent this to the right address for the digest (I > haven't posted for quite some time), so my apologies in advance if 20 of > these end up in your in-box. I just recently subscribed to TMBG Unlimited > & i have the July mp3s & Mink Car (which methinks is TMBG's weakest > effort yet) but I was wondering if there was any way to get the other > month's mp3s. I think somebody covered this about a month or two ago but > I deleted the digest it was in... damn my incessant cleaning of my inbox! > So if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated GREATLY. Yes, > greatly is in caps - that's how much I would appreciate it. > > cheers > Steve > > PS, For those Ben Folds fans on the list, Rockin' the Suburbs is gonna > blow you away... > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:00:48 +0000 From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: Free Cd with TMBG Message-ID: Hi all, Hopefully this message isn't too late. About one week ago I was at my local 7-11 and i saw a Cd called "Launch - Issue 51". For those of you who are unfamiliar with Launch, it is a musical online catalog that has live performances, interviews, videos etc. And anyway the cd included 4 tracks, one of which was "Boss of Me". Also when you stick it in your computer you can see an interview with John & John about the song and other random things. The best thing about it was that it was FREE! SO go to your 7-11 and see if you can spot it. Dan Hint: The cover has a picture of the members of Blues Taveler and "Launch" is written in big white letters across the top _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:42:36 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Let's pause for a moment while I wring out my napkin. Message-ID: <9kenvr$2a8q$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org So wait, if I enjoy Mink Car, does that automatically make me a drooling fanboy? I still prefer the demo of Cyclops Rock and the Dial-a-Song Finished with Lies over their newer incarnations, but on the whole I'm quite pleased with the album. The new Older is so good that I'm actually glad it's there. My Man is like the lovechild of an orgy of Linnell's best songs. Those are the strato-highlights for me, but I don't dislike any of these songs. However, come to think of it, I'll have to get back to you in a couple of months when it's a little more ripe. Staying power is a major factor in overall album quality. (Note, though, that the initial digestion period is shorter than usual because of all the previewed tracks.) Bryce Why are the ocean levels rising up? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:05:41 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <3B6AE7F5.F7DD3A26@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org It's not a guest song, it's a collaboration. -scratch "Bryan T, Hoerber" wrote: > > This is much more than a guest vocal. This is a guest song, something more > suited for a concert. Not a CD. I am just glad they are in MP3 format. > After I listened to it the first thing I did was PGP Wipe that MP3 to get > that rubbish off of my Zip Disk. As far as In The Middle that's another > song I don't like, along with Boat of Car. And no I didn't get in such a > bratty tizzy when Kevin Gilbert wrote songs for Sheryl Crow's album. > Because he didn't sing on her album! It was Sheryl Crow, not Kevin Gilbert > on there. > Even if it had TMBG doing it instead of Doughty I still wouldn't like it. > This song to me seems more suited for a cheesy Comic Book super-hero to > Movie soundtrack during a poorly choreographed fight sequence. After all > Dr. Evil was written for the movie. > > At 01:06 AM 8/3/2001, you wrote: > >My god man your a genius! You've stumbled on the ONE and ONLY collaboration > >between two artists! What the hell were they thinking teaming one artist > >from one band with another band!!!!????? this is madness and not common > [SNIP] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:07:03 -0400 From: scratch Subject: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: <3B6AE847.9A31A316@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Well, we did pay $70 for them. Why should others get them for free? -scratch Chrissy Rockwell wrote: > > uh oh you better watch out > the last time marcus posted how to get the old unlimited mp3s to the ng > the superfans had a field day and almost crucified him.. > *prays for your soul* > Chrissy > wrote in message > news:20010803.105032.-335083.0.cambot@juno.com... > > Hi. I'm not sure if I sent this to the right address for the digest (I > > haven't posted for quite some time), so my apologies in advance if 20 of > > these end up in your in-box. I just recently subscribed to TMBG Unlimited > > & i have the July mp3s & Mink Car (which methinks is TMBG's weakest > > effort yet) but I was wondering if there was any way to get the other > > month's mp3s. I think somebody covered this about a month or two ago but > > I deleted the digest it was in... damn my incessant cleaning of my inbox! > > So if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated GREATLY. Yes, > > greatly is in caps - that's how much I would appreciate it. > > > > cheers > > Steve > > > > PS, For those Ben Folds fans on the list, Rockin' the Suburbs is gonna > > blow you away... > > ________________________________________________________________ > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:10:48 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: <9kepfe$2bmo$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org just watch this page: http://www.emusic.com/artists/27 Emusic periodically spills all of the UnLtds on that page... Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:17:04 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: Free Cd with TMBG Message-ID: <9keput$2ccv$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > local 7-11 and i saw a Cd called "Launch - Issue 51 the cd included 4 tracks, > one of which was "Boss of Me". Also when you stick it in your computer you > can see an interview with John & John about the song and other random > things. was the launch the very same launch as in www.launch.com ? because there is a newish interview on the site about boss of me and random stuff, always playing in dumpy bars etc. http://www.launch.com/music/artistpage/1,,1026856_videos,00.html jus wondering, i would sure like to get ahold of the cd though, sounds kewl. :) wolfie tmbg ambass to iowa ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:32:35 EDT From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Docu show info needed Message-ID: <109.38ffc3d.289c4843@aol.com> Ok, so amazingly, I've managed to get a pair of tickets for the show on Sunday. Now I need some info about it, like what time it starts, the name of the place, location, directions, anything that might be relevant. Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:29:26 -0700 From: "Lao M. Wach" Subject: TMBG: Re: Vanity Plates Message-ID: <9keqm4$2d1i$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > ones I was looking at were GEEKROK, THEFLANS anyone have the TMBGFAN one? my other choice is HAL9000 after the super comp from 2001 movie that kills everyone. my car scares me like no other. wolfie "im afraid, im afraid..." - hal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:37:58 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Docu show info needed Message-ID: <3B6AEF86.85642D7A@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org http://bowery.theymightbegiants.org -scratch PRMega@aol.com wrote: > > Ok, so amazingly, I've managed to get a pair of tickets for the show on > Sunday. Now I need some info about it, like what time it starts, the name of > the place, location, directions, anything that might be relevant. Thanks. > > PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:09:37 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Vanity Plates Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010803120854.00ae4e00@mail.aviationpage.com> Here is a search engine where you can see if plates are available for California. Those two aren't. http://plates.ca.gov/search/ At 01:29 PM 8/3/2001, you wrote: > > ones I was looking at were GEEKROK, THEFLANS > >anyone have the TMBGFAN one? >my other choice is HAL9000 after the >super comp from 2001 movie that kills everyone. >my car scares me like no other. > >wolfie >"im afraid, im afraid..." - hal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:09:49 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010803120943.00ae7010@mail.aviationpage.com> From the web site: "Tracks will feature performances by the Band of Dans as well as the Elegant Too, and John and John have enlisted the mighty production weight of Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, the Elegant Too, Adam Schlesinger, Pat Dillett and of course, their bad selves." So to me it seems that it's not a collaboration but a guest song. That reads just like a concert headline. "Tonight at the Blockbuster Pavilion, Santana with Special Guest Rusted Root. Also featuring performances by " Also since it list them as producers as well it looks like more of a guest artist than a collaboration. At 11:05 AM 8/3/2001, you wrote: >It's not a guest song, it's a collaboration. > >-scratch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:16:44 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Free Samples of Mink Car Message-ID: <000c01c11c50$d5d43460$10450241@mshome.net> Free 30 second samples of every song here: http://www.emusic.com/albums/26245/ From what I'm hearing, this album sounds really good! Maybe the best yet! Every one else seems to hate it, but I am loving it! Jon "Still calls 'em records and not CD's" Jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:19:12 -0400 From: scratch Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <3B6AF930.A5961CE4@the-pentagon.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org It doesn't say "will feature performances by They Might Be Giants as well as the Elegant Too." Plus, to quote the intro: "Let It Be Known: They Might Be Giants, Doughty, The Elegant Too - Mr. Xcitement" -scratch "Bryan T, Hoerber" wrote: > > From the web site: > "Tracks will feature performances by the Band of Dans as well as the > Elegant Too, and John and John have enlisted the mighty production weight > of Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, the Elegant Too, Adam Schlesinger, Pat > Dillett and of course, their bad selves." > > So to me it seems that it's not a collaboration but a guest song. That > reads just like a concert headline. > "Tonight at the Blockbuster Pavilion, Santana with Special Guest Rusted > Root. Also featuring performances by " > Also since it list them as producers as well it looks like more of a guest > artist than a collaboration. > > At 11:05 AM 8/3/2001, you wrote: > >It's not a guest song, it's a collaboration. > > > >-scratch ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:42:01 -0400 From: "Bryce's Evil Twin" Subject: TMBG: Re: Docu show info needed Message-ID: <9keuvq$2idl$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org : > Ok, so amazingly, I've managed to get a pair of tickets > for the show on Sunday. Now I need some info about it, > like what time it starts, the name of the place, location, > directions, anything that might be relevant. Thanks. It's, uh, in the dark alley behind my apartment at around 3am Sunday. Come by yourself, your friends all told me they'd meet you there. Bryce's Evil Twin I can't help but feeling jealous. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 20:08:53 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: You know, I love how everyone's jumping to conclusions about this song because they don't like it. There's nothing to make you believe that TMBG had nothing to do with this song. From what I can tell, they pretty much put the music together themselves, with some Elegant Too turntablism. I don't think anyone would have a problem if it was an instrumental. So what's the big deal, their longtime pal put some of his famous vocal stylings on top of it. It's well known that Doughty and TMBG have done a lot together. TMBG is listed in the thanks section on Soul Coughing's second album, Soul Coughing did a CD for the Hello club, they were prominently featured on Cool Music by Other People on TMBG Radio, and since the Soul Coughing breakup TMBG and Doughty have done concerts together, and they did McSweeney's together. Not to mention the fact that they've already featured Doughty on "Your Mom's Alright" and an unreleased version of "Cyclops Rock." It was inevitable that something would make it to the album, and I think it's freaking amazing. I've listened to it dozens of times, and still love it, unlike the rest of the album, which has practically no replay value. I can't possibly understand what everyone's problem with it is, but then, I can't understand why everyone seems to keep calling "Hopeless Bleak Despair" a "sad song that rocks" when as far as I can tell, it's neither sad nor rocking. But "Mr. Xcitement" IS a TMBG song. If you don't like it, fine, but don't go making excuses. It's the Johns that put it on the album, so blame them. I'm sure blaming Linnell for "Hopeless Bleak Despair." _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:16:21 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: <9kf0qt$2kaj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Not > to mention the fact that they've already featured Doughty on "Your Mom's > Alright" and an unreleased version of "Cyclops Rock." There's a version of cyclops rock with doughty? Thank GOD for Cerys Matthews :-) Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:41:57 -0500 From: "Julie Harrison" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: how'd we get on the subject of Cerys Matthews? i'm a Catatonia fan, did i miss something? julie styloroc.net aim - sparklerock icq - 21324220 Not > to mention the fact that they've already featured Doughty on "Your Mom's > Alright" and an unreleased version of "Cyclops Rock." > There's a version of cyclops rock with doughty? Thank GOD for Cerys Matthews > :-) > Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:46:49 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: <121.28fad5a.289c67b9@aol.com> In a message dated 8/3/2001 4:45:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, julie@torr.org writes: > how'd we get on the subject of Cerys Matthews? i'm a Catatonia fan, did i > miss something? > She has a vocal cameo in the Mink Car version of "Cyclops Rock," hehe. Most have deemed it very cool (including me). Kay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:58:06 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: <9kf398$2n08$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Julie Harrison" wrote in message news:MBBBKFDGNJJBMENAKMIPIEPGCAAA.julie@torr.org... > how'd we get on the subject of Cerys Matthews? i'm a Catatonia fan, did i > miss something? Cerys does the vocals of a new line on the new Cyclops Rock on Mink Car Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:26:48 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: >From: scratch >Reply-To: scratch >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... >Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 16:52:45 -0400 > > > >Marcus B wrote: > > > > Not > > > to mention the fact that they've already featured Doughty on "Your >Mom's > > > Alright" and an unreleased version of "Cyclops Rock." > > > > There's a version of cyclops rock with doughty? Thank GOD for Cerys >Matthews > > :-) > >Not at all. I WANT IT!! Add this to the list of requests if it's not >there already... > >-scratch Well, I THINK it exists. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know a version of "Cyclops Rock" with Doughty was going to be on the Malcolm soundtrack along with "Your Mom's Alright." And I'm almost positive I remember Flans saying something like "We just did a really great new version of Cyclops Rock with M. Doughty that will be on the soundtrack" or something to that effect. But they might have planned it and never recorded it. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:39:01 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Like Flansy in a soda can Message-ID: Somebody on the newsgroup said Doughty posted these somewhere, so here they are: Cafi con pan, cafi con pan. Rock on, my hubba The beat is blubba Being stingy on the pike Collect the one into the otha careen in tandem the sea into the landem the people in the pix they want to scarf and dig the clamdem awwwwwwwwwwwwww yes!! Mr. Xcitement!! We nix the glaben The knifey-knife is staben Protrude into the hoobalicious Scoff the extra aden I write the mooky My verse is extra spooky Like Flansy in a soda can It's trooky-trooky-trooky No way it's "trooky." No way. But anyways, one more reason it belongs on this record--he says "like Flansy in a soda can." Jesus, even if Sisqo said that I'd want it on the CD. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:12:53 -0400 From: "Chris" Subject: TMBG: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kf7mr$21p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org yeah. i am a tmbg fan. personally, i don't know what you are all whining about. tmbg have always pushed the envelope of music to it's strangest levels. now, they aren't always successful or what-not, but they do have that going for them. now if you "fans" don't like the official Mink Car album, fine. but don't just sit there and complain about it. do something constructive. collect the demos, live versions, and dial-a-songs and make a fan version of the album. for instance, if you don't like the official release of "bangs", get the demo for this unofficial, fan, internet version. i am sure someone would be gracious enough to post it on their tmbg site. if not, then you could distribute the version like "we might be giants, too", through an fan-based mailing campaign. honestly people, i expected something more thoughtful from "fans" of the best band ever. or, if us fans are so bold, push the band (and record label) to release the older versions of the songs, like dave matthews band fans are doing. they are pushing for the release of the lilywhite sessions, or something like that. so if we all have to, we can make this album better, for ourselves, or maybe they will do it for us. chris the official TMBG ambassador of love for naptown, md ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:42:53 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kf99u$3pr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > now if you "fans" don't like the official Mink Car album, fine. but don't > just sit there and complain about it. do something constructive. collect the > demos, live versions, and dial-a-songs and make a fan version of the album. > for instance, if you don't like the official release of "bangs", get the > demo for this unofficial, fan, internet version. i am sure someone would be > gracious enough to post it on their tmbg site. if not, then you could > distribute the version like "we might be giants, too", through an fan-based > mailing campaign. honestly people, i expected something more thoughtful from > "fans" of the best band ever. or, if us fans are so bold, push the band (and > record label) to release the older versions of the songs, like dave matthews > band fans are doing. they are pushing for the release of the lilywhite > sessions, or something like that. so if we all have to, we can make this > album better, for ourselves, or maybe they will do it for us. > 1) fans aren't people who take everything they do as gospel.. they are people who look at it critically.. i am sure 98% of the people complaining will still buy mink car (those who dont have the signed version coming) 2) it has been brought up about making a fan album (maybe it was the ng it all runs together) but, many people arent very willing to distribute songs recorded in the studio. I am saying this in the nice way, because I don't think I have feelings either way. Some people though are going to bitch at this suggestion. Anyway, let people get out how they feel about the album.. after so many years it is a disappointment. Chrissy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 19:33:10 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: Refusing to let the Mr. Xcitement argument die... Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010803193310.0079a100@fisticuffs.org> At 08:08 PM 8/3/01, John Ferrer wrote: > but then, I can't understand >why everyone seems to keep calling "Hopeless Bleak Despair" a "sad song that >rocks" when as far as I can tell, it's neither sad nor rocking. I don't dislike the song as much as you seem to, but, yeah, word on the not being sad thing. Not having despair anymore is *good*. Really. -mandy TMBG ambassador to your mom "Goth girl, who is the guy on the leash? Does he wash dishes?" (jwh) ----------- http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 19:41:24 -0400 From: mandyshekleton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: <3.0.6.32.20010803194124.00883e10@fisticuffs.org> At 12:09 PM 8/3/01 -0700, Bryan T, Hoerber wrote: > From the web site: >"Tracks will feature performances by the Band of Dans as well as the >Elegant Too ... >So to me it seems that it's not a collaboration but a guest song. That >reads just like a concert headline. The hell it is. In that case, where's the Band of Dans' "guest song"? Either way, I hardly think Mike Doughty held a gun to the Johns' heads and forced them to put "Mr. Xcitement" on the album. It's on _Mink Car_ because they like it, whether the song is theirs (which it IS) or his. -mandy "Goth girl, who is the guy on the leash? Does he wash dishes?" (jwh) ----------- http://heck.fisticuffs.org/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:02:33 -0400 From: "Chris" Subject: TMBG: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <9kfs6m$lg5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > 1) fans aren't people who take everything they do as gospel.. they are > people who look at it critically.. i am sure 98% of the people complaining > will still buy mink car (those who dont have the signed version coming) > 2) it has been brought up about making a fan album (maybe it was the ng it > all runs together) but, many people arent very willing to distribute songs > recorded in the studio. I am saying this in the nice way, because I don't > think I have feelings either way. Some people though are going to bitch at > this suggestion. > Anyway, > let people get out how they feel about the album.. after so many years it is > a disappointment. > Chrissy > well fine chrissy. but sorry to burst your bubble. a fan (not the kind for moving air currents) is, by definition, "an enthusiastic devotee" or "an ardent admirer or enthusiast". in other words, a shortening of the term "fanatic". and i thought this newsgroup was for diehard tmbg fans. not ones who just like flood. and from what i have heard, mink car is a good album. not the best, but good. i personally do like the demo and live versions of "it's so loud in here". and about distributing a copy of studio recorded music, fine. forget distributing it. just do it yourselves. i don't advocate selling it for profit, but just doing it as a hobby or for fun. disappointment? maybe. but what do you expect when you download 10 or 15 versions of each song. the problem is you all have too much choice. if you only heard one version of these songs, you would all probably love them. so stop whining. geez. you remind me of elementary school kids. chris the unofficial tmbg ambassador of the droppin' the hammer and dispensing indiscriminate justice ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:27:15 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <001001c11c9d$bd676e40$10450241@mshome.net> but what do you expect when you download 10 or 15 > versions of each song. the problem is you all have too much choice. if you only heard one version of these songs, you would all probably love them. so stop whining. geez. you remind me of elementary school kids. > > chris Chris is right; we've been spoiled rotten in the five years since Factory Showroom. The internet explosion of recent past has provided us with so many ways of hearing new songs, and counltess versions of them at that, via Napster, dialasong.com, emusic, bootleg trading etc, that half of Mink Car is familiar material for a large chunk of TMBG fans. However, all the songs in their finalized form on Mink Car vary enough from what we perceive as the "real" version (i.e., the ones that have been floating around for the past half-decade) that they end up being a dissapointment. It's a shame, really, b/c the album is going to be receiving bad word of mouth from many fans, and I'm guessing it won't sell well at all. As for me, I am just going to wait till Sep 11th to hear the full album (so far I've just heard 30 sec. samples and, like i said before, i like what i hear) and make up my mind. Who knows; it may end up being their best album ever, or their worst. Either way, it will still be special since we've had to wait 5 years for it. I am way too tired to have written that much, so if what I wrote is completely illogical and gibberish-like, sorry. jon jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:32:03 EDT From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: mink car reviews and suggestion about it Message-ID: <110.35bab95.289cd4c3@aol.com> In a message dated 8/4/01 12:28:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mrbean63@home.com writes: > but what do you expect when you download 10 or 15 > > versions of each song. the problem is you all have too much choice. if you > only heard one version of these songs, you would all probably love them. so > stop whining. geez. you remind me of elementary school kids. > > > > chris > > Chris is right; we've been spoiled rotten in the five years since Factory > Showroom. The internet explosion of recent past has provided us with so > many ways of hearing new songs, and counltess versions of them at that, via > Napster, dialasong.com, emusic, bootleg trading etc, that half of Mink Car > Exactly. That's why I'm laying off on downloading any of the songs I haven't heard, and waiting for the CD. DRW TMBG A to OH ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 05:51:57 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: FW: TMBG Unlimited service... Message-ID: Nicholas Wolf: >Hello. We expect Mink Car to be released mid-September, so your >autographed >copy should ship out soon thereafter. Thereafter? Whatever happened to "before it's out in stores"? Are they sending it by time machine? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-4 *****************************