Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 5 Sunday, 5 August 2001 Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review TMBG: Mink Car Sucking! TMBG: Mink Car, blah blah blah TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Re: TMBG: Mink Car, blah blah blah TMBG: Re: TMBG Unlimited service... TMBG: Re: Spoiled? TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Re: TMBG: Mink Car Sucking! TMBG: 17 Tracks! Re: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? TMBG: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? TMBG: My Ultimate Mink Car Review TMBG: Who is Hudson Shad? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Who is Hudson Shad? Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 06:04:36 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car Review Message-ID: Erich: >My god man your a genius! You've stumbled on the ONE and ONLY collaboration >between two artists! What the hell were they thinking teaming one artist >from one band with another band!!!!????? this is madness and not common >practice at all....HELLO!!!!! Have you been living on mars with your eyes >shut tight and your fingers in your ears? This happens all the time! And >its >a very good thing! No you dont have to LIKE the song but there is absolutly >nothing...NOTHING wrong with two artists collaborating. For those of you who don't know, the TMBG announcement list sent out a press release about Mink Car. Here's what it has to say about our friend Mr. Xcitement: Originally an instrumental, this track was put together from manipulations of various horn samples from the Velcro Horns, Dan Levine and Jim O'Connor. The beats were then super-sized with wild sonic manipulations and real live scratching by beatmeisters the Elegant Too, but when Doughty (former front-person for the infamously excellent Soul Coughing) heard it, he insisted on taking the track home where he cooked up the crazy rhymes, which we are still trying to decode. So it sounds like, for the most part, the song is the Velcro Horns, the Elegant Too, and Doughty, with little of the Johns. I'm guessing they they were the ones who "manipulated" and "put together" the horn samples, so it's still basically a TMBG song, but the Johns did a lot less on it than on pretty much any other TMBG song. >And its just a guest vocal anyway. Did you all get >like this when you heard Dr. Evil? or In the Middle? or Boat of Car for >that >matter? Well, "Dr. Evil" and "Boat Of Car" were both written by the Johns. "In The Middle" wasn't, although it was apparently the Johns' idea to cover it. I guess Robin Goldwasser isn't really any more part of TMBG than the Velcro Horns are, though, so "Mr. Xcitement" is technically as much a TMBG song as "In The Middle." Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 03:09:50 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Mink Car Sucking! Message-ID: <111.35b17a0.289cf9be@aol.com> I'm just gonna say that i really couldn't stand 75% of Lincoln when i first heard it. Then it did something that all TMBG does. It grew on me. Did anyone here really think that My Man was a great song the first time they heard it? If you're like me you didn't. Then around the fourth or fifth or sixth or thirtyith time you hear it, it hits you. "Damn this is a great song!" I love Mr. Xcitement not because its catchy but because it's weird as hell. How can anyone here with a love for TMBG not like a song that uses the word HOOBALICIOUS!? It's great that TMBG isn't stuck in a rut. They try different things. This album has weirder songs than in anything since Apollo 18s Fingertips. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 01:25:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Mink Car, blah blah blah Message-ID: <20010804082552.82495.qmail@web13603.mail.yahoo.com> A few of my observations, for what they're worth: Overall, I think it's a damn fine album. I for one am glad that the Johns have branched out and have continued to push the envelope on some songs. When I first heard Lucky Ball and Chain and Unrelated Thing I was put off by them because they were so "countryish" (not to mention Counterfeit Faker). Soon thereafter they grew on me. I do, however, have two minor complaints (and neither of them have anything to do with Mr. Xcitement! How bout that!)... 1)That cymbal loop on I've Got A Fang is annoying as hell. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now I find it very disturbing. 2)Edith Head! What happened? The original vocals are so much more energetic, so much fun! These are...bland. Now that I've bitched and moaned a little, I also have some random observations (in no particular order)- My Man - this sounds so much like some Christmas song, but I don't remember the name of it. Any help? Anyone? Bueller? Yeh Yeh - towards the middle it starts to sound a little like Till My Head Falls Off, no? Anyone know what 80's songs they were referring too, re: Man, It's So Loud In Here? Leave Mr. Xcitment alone. I like it. So there. Of course, I like Soul Coughing too, so... Cyclops Rock - I was afraid they'd butcher this song, but I like the new version too. However, I don't think the female vocals are listed in the lyrics that were emailed. Any thoughts? Wicked Little Critta - First time I heard it I thought they said "he's a dick" toward the end and I laughed my ass off. Alas, I misheard. Well, I've said my piece. I like Mink Car. So there. --Jason-- __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:55:52 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Message-ID: I haven't heard any new TMBG tracks aside from "Boss of Me" and McSweeney's since I downloaded LTW. I didn't listen to that very carefully though so I really don't know what I think of it... But I've been avoiding hearing anything until the album is released. I'm looking forward to it. george p.s. everyone go buy "bleed american" by jimmy eat world. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 07:01:42 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car, blah blah blah Message-ID: > Yeh Yeh - towards the middle it starts to sound a > My dad was familiar with the version with the original version of "Yeh Yeh," and when I told him TMBG had done a cover of it, he started singing it and said, "That one part sounds like that other song they do...the one about Advil or something." (considering that he'd only heard "Til My Head Falls Off" a couple of times, I was pretty proud of him :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:21:36 -0000 From: "Casey Schreiner" Subject: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <000a01c11ccf$3ea08600$90640818@brln1.ct.home.com> <> I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and agree with Chris here. I don't have UnLimited, but I did happen to stumble upon the demo tracks of a couple songs - "Bangs," which I loved to death, "Wicked Little Critta" which I was fairly indifferent to, etc. I, too, have only listened to the 30 second samples, and I like what I hear for the most part. I like the new "Man, It's So Loud In Here," but I know I would love it if I hadn't heard the original rock version. Same goes for "She Thinks She's Edith Head," which was one of my favorite songs until I heard the new version with the bored vocals. We HAVE been spoiled, but we've also been given a very rare opprotunity to hear how the songs from out favorite artists grow and change over time. It's very educational and at the same time gives us (or, the lucky ones of us) some different versions of songs along the way. I, for one, can't wait until the official release of Mink Car, and I'll be waiting in line to pick one up on the first day, unlike I did for the new Cake CD which I now can't find anywhere. Bleh. -Casey ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:52:09 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <9kh91v$23i0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org There are a large group of us here, myself included, who have heard tmbg demos and alt. versions before there was a tmbgu. No, most of us that are disappointed in Mink Car aren't fans that only like Flood. We aren't spoiled children People are allowed to not like what TMBG does. I think it takes a fan with discriminating tastes to say that maybe something isn't as good as it could be. We actually think when we listen to music, we don't say "It's TMBG it MUST be good." I think the immature ones here are the people who are saying "Grow up, You are a TMBG fan so LIKE IT!". If they start singing yodeling and co-writing songs with Britney Spears, do I have to like it then, simply because it's TMBG? Not everyone is going, to like everything. I think the people who can admit that, are the true distinctive, and mature, music listeners. > I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and agree with Chris here. I > don't have UnLimited, but I did happen to stumble upon the demo tracks of a > couple songs - "Bangs," which I loved to death, "Wicked Little Critta" which > I was fairly indifferent to, etc. I, too, have only listened to the 30 > second samples, and I like what I hear for the most part. I like the new > "Man, It's So Loud In Here," but I know I would love it if I hadn't heard > the original rock version. Same goes for "She Thinks She's Edith Head," > which was one of my favorite songs until I heard the new version with the > bored vocals. > > We HAVE been spoiled, but we've also been given a very rare opprotunity to > hear how the songs from out favorite artists grow and change over time. > It's very educational and at the same time gives us (or, the lucky ones of > us) some different versions of songs along the way. I, for one, can't wait > until the official release of Mink Car, and I'll be waiting in line to pick > one up on the first day, unlike I did for the new Cake CD which I now can't > find anywhere. > > Bleh. > > -Casey > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:00:01 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Sucking! Message-ID: >Did anyone here really think that My Man was a great song the first >time >they heard it? If you're like me you didn't. Then around the >fourth or >fifth or sixth or thirtyith time you hear it, it hits >you. "Damn this is >a great song!" I fell in love with My Man the very first time I heard it. It is my 2nd favorite song off Mink Car, with Man It's So Loud In Here being my favorite. So catchy and groovy. >I love Mr. Xcitement not because its catchy but because it's weird >as hell. How can anyone here with a love for TMBG not like a song >that >use the word HOOBALICIOUS!? It's great that TMBG isn't stuck in >a rut. >They try different things. This album has weirder songs than >in anything >since Apollo 18s Fingertips. Mr Xcitement IS weird, but I like it alot. It took a little warming up to, but now it is stuck in my head all day long. I love TMBG for the simple fact that they can write a song about anything and use words in them that most people don't use on a regular basis. Most bands can't get away with that. You rarely hear words like hoobalicious(what does that even mean anyway?), Allotheria, or Rhododendron in any other songs outside of a TMBG song. Mink Car is great album, and I do have to agree it has more weird (but wonderful!) songs on it than Apollo 18. Fingertips is definitely the most random song I have ever heard in my life. A few of my coworkers got a kick out of it, and one of them is always singing, "What's that blue thing doing here? ". Another never heard of them til I introduced Them to her, and now she and her two kids are big fans of TMBG. My other coworker thinks "...they are just freaks" . She is very hard to convince that TMBG is a great band. But then again, she is very set in her ways, and doesn't really like change or anything outside the "norm". As an official ambassador, someday I will get her to accept TMBG's music as being something she can't live without! Jen Ofiicial TMBG Ambassador of Utah _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:14:16 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: 17 Tracks! Message-ID: <003e01c11d08$e4567620$10450241@mshome.net> No one seems to have mentioned that Mink Car has 17 tracks! It's just like the old days again! And does anyone else out there think that the new Finished With Lies sounds like it is a b-side from State Songs? It has a really statesy feel to it. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:14:27 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: >Well, we did pay $70 for them. Why should others get them for free? There are always opportunists out there who would take advantage of getting everything all at once for free, however, you never know when all of the past TMBG UnLtd will be available at the same time. Could be there one day and not the next. It is very unpredictable. I think people should do the honest thing and pay for the tracks, just like everyone else has to. However, I do like the idea that all the past UnLtd tracks are available at certain points in time, as one of the drivers in my hard drive died, and we had to buy a new tower. Contained on that old computer was everything we wanted to keep, including all my downloaded TMBG UnLtd tracks from previous months. It will only run in safe mode and the CD-ROM and floppy drive do not work, so I can't retrieve or transfer anything from it. I have redownloaded some of them, but now I am missing a few months worth of songs, and it is annoying that I can't get the missing tracks unless they are made available by EMusic again. I am working on saving enough $$ to purchase an MP3 player and/or CD-RW so I can transfer all my files onto something a little more portable and reliable so this doesn't happen again. If it gets lost on the computer, at least I would have a backup. Jen Official TMBG Ambassador of Utah _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:17:06 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <200108041816.f74IGi373463@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 8/4/01 11:52:09 AM, "Chrissy Rockwell" wrote: >People are allowed to not like what TMBG does. I think it takes a fan with >discriminating tastes to say that maybe something isn't as good as it could >be. > from http://www.m-w.com/ : Main Entry:ÁÁ3fan Function:ÁÁnoun Etymology:ÁÁprobably short for fanatic Date:ÁÁ1682 1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator 2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) also: Main Entry:ÁÁfaonatoic Pronunciation:ÁÁf&-'na-tik Variant(s):ÁÁor faonatoiocal /-ti-k&l/ Function:ÁÁadjective Etymology:ÁÁLatin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple -- more at FEAST Date:ÁÁ1550 : marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion - fanatic noun - faonatoiocaloly /f&-'na-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb - faonatoiocaloness /-k&l-n&s/ noun take it as you will. -- John David Crafton, TMBG fanatic _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:47:28 -0400 From: "Matt Breslin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: If you're saying that people who don't like Mink Car aren't "fans" because they are critical about it, I would have to disagree with you. Let me tell you a story about a little boy named chimpoo and the first time he heard an album called John Henry. There once was a little boy named chimpoo who loved a band called They Might Be Giants. He had all of their albums and listened to them every day. He was excited one day when his dad brought home a new TMBG album. "NEW TMBG!!" he yelled. Then he put it in his cd player and CRIED HIS EYES OUT. That cd made me so sad. That was 7 years ago. I still to this day hate John Henry. I think everything TMBG has done since then is not good. But, they are still my favorite band. I still buy all tmbg stuff I can get my hands on. I spent $58 on a TAPE for two unreleased TMBG songs that I didn't have. I don't care what you or the dictionary says. I love my TMBG and I will be critical when they do STUPID THINGS all I want. Blah. >From: John David Crafton >Reply-To: John David Crafton >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? >Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:17:06 -0500 > >8/4/01 11:52:09 AM, "Chrissy Rockwell" wrote: > >People are allowed to not like what TMBG does. I think it takes a fan >with > >discriminating tastes to say that maybe something isn't as good as it >could > >be. > > >from http://www.m-w.com/ : > >Main Entry:ÁÁ3fan >Function:ÁÁnoun >Etymology:ÁÁprobably short for fanatic >Date:ÁÁ1682 >1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as >a spectator >2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) > > >also: > >Main Entry:ÁÁfaonatoic >Pronunciation:ÁÁf&-'na-tik >Variant(s):ÁÁor faonatoiocal /-ti-k&l/ >Function:ÁÁadjective >Etymology:ÁÁLatin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple >-- more at FEAST >Date:ÁÁ1550 >: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion > >- fanatic noun >- faonatoiocaloly /f&-'na-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb >- faonatoiocaloness /-k&l-n&s/ noun > >take it as you will. > >-- >John David Crafton, TMBG fanatic > > >_________________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:05:03 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010804130116.00ad1e90@mail.aviationpage.com> I seem to get the impression that John Henry is an album that no one really likes. Now I am kind of curious why. John Henry was the album that got me hooked on TMBG in the first place when I grabbed it by mistake instead of Flood. But then again I am very easy to please and I like songs on a song by song basis, not on album by album, or group by group, or even genre by genre. I am one of the few people I know who has stayed out of Top 40 pop for the most part and I have really formed an eclectic taste in music. I have stuff from all genres and all periods. I got some Jimmy Buffett, Glenn Miller, Bush, Beck, BB King, Eric Clapton, Cirque Du Soleil, No Doubt, Barenaked Ladies. I don't buy what the radio stations play, I don't listen to what the record companies want me to. I listen to what I like. At 12:47 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: >If you're saying that people who don't like Mink Car aren't "fans" because >they are critical about it, I would have to disagree with you. Let me tell >you a story about a little boy named chimpoo and the first time he heard >an album called John Henry. There once was a little boy named chimpoo who >loved a band called They Might Be Giants. He had all of their albums and >listened to them every day. He was excited one day when his dad brought >home a new TMBG album. "NEW TMBG!!" he yelled. Then he put it in his cd >player and CRIED HIS EYES OUT. That cd made me so sad. That was 7 years >ago. I still to this day hate John Henry. I think everything TMBG has done >since then is not good. But, they are still my favorite band. I still buy >all tmbg stuff I can get my hands on. I spent $58 on a TAPE for two >unreleased TMBG songs that I didn't have. I don't care what you or the >dictionary says. I love my TMBG and I will be critical when they do STUPID >THINGS all I want. Blah. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:09:20 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <200108042008.f74K8x379552@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 8/4/01 2:47:28 PM, "Matt Breslin" wrote: >If you're saying that people who don't like Mink Car aren't "fans" because >they are critical about it, I would have to disagree with you. Let me tell >you a story about a little boy named chimpoo and the first time he heard an >album called John Henry. There once was a little boy named chimpoo who loved >a band called They Might Be Giants. He had all of their albums and listened >to them every day. He was excited one day when his dad brought home a new >TMBG album. "NEW TMBG!!" he yelled. Then he put it in his cd player and >CRIED HIS EYES OUT. That cd made me so sad. That was 7 years ago. I still to >this day hate John Henry. I think everything TMBG has done since then is not >good. But, they are still my favorite band. I still buy all tmbg stuff I can >get my hands on. I spent $58 on a TAPE for two unreleased TMBG songs that I >didn't have. I don't care what you or the dictionary says. I love my TMBG >and I will be critical when they do STUPID THINGS all I want. Blah. okay, you just totally flew off the handle and completely misinterpreted my post. i didn't say anything like what you think i said, in fact i just supplied the group with the facts, which apparently (to me at least) state that you can be a fan without being a fanatic. you, sir, are a fan. i am a fanatic. a drooling fanboy, if you will. you are entitled to your opinion and allowed to critisize. i, however, am not. it is true that the word "fan" was derived from "fanatic" but they do have seperate meanings now. thank you for your time. -- John David Crafton _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 16:15:51 -0400 From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <000c01c11d22$41fa49a0$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. And the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! -Charlie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:17:05 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010804131650.00a82198@mail.aviationpage.com> No arguments here, I totally agree. At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: >Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg >album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. And >the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! >-Charlie ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 16:25:38 -0400 From: "Matt Breslin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: heh i'm sorry I thought you were pointing out that it said "often uncritical" >From: John David Crafton >Reply-To: John David Crafton >To: Matt Breslin , tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? >Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:09:20 -0500 > >8/4/01 2:47:28 PM, "Matt Breslin" wrote: > > >If you're saying that people who don't like Mink Car aren't "fans" >because > >they are critical about it, I would have to disagree with you. Let me >tell > >you a story about a little boy named chimpoo and the first time he heard >an > >album called John Henry. There once was a little boy named chimpoo who >loved > >a band called They Might Be Giants. He had all of their albums and >listened > >to them every day. He was excited one day when his dad brought home a new > >TMBG album. "NEW TMBG!!" he yelled. Then he put it in his cd player and > >CRIED HIS EYES OUT. That cd made me so sad. That was 7 years ago. I still >to > >this day hate John Henry. I think everything TMBG has done since then is >not > >good. But, they are still my favorite band. I still buy all tmbg stuff I >can > >get my hands on. I spent $58 on a TAPE for two unreleased TMBG songs that >I > >didn't have. I don't care what you or the dictionary says. I love my TMBG > >and I will be critical when they do STUPID THINGS all I want. Blah. > >okay, you just totally flew off the handle and completely misinterpreted my >post. i didn't say anything like what you think >i said, in fact i just supplied the group with the facts, which apparently >(to me at least) state that you can be a fan >without being a fanatic. you, sir, are a fan. i am a fanatic. a drooling >fanboy, if you will. you are entitled to your opinion >and allowed to critisize. i, however, am not. it is true that the word >"fan" was derived from "fanatic" but they do have >seperate meanings now. thank you for your time. > >-- >John David Crafton > > >_________________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 16:33:07 -0400 From: "Matt Breslin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: I didn't mean to start a post on whether or whether or not john henry sucks. I was just saying that even though I hated John Henry I stuck with the band and it is okay to be critical. Anyway, you have to understand that I was listening to TMBG before John Henry came out. For a lot of people John Henry was the first album they bought so it just sounds like TMBG to them. It didn't sound like TMBG to me. I misinterpreted the email anyway. I thought he was saying that people who are critical shouldn't be called "fans" or "fanatics". So I hope nobody fights about John Henry now. >From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" >Reply-To: "Bryan T, Hoerber" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] >Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:17:05 -0700 > >No arguments here, I totally agree. > >At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: >>Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg >>album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. >>And >>the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! >>-Charlie > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:48:00 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <200108042047.f74Kle381460@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 8/4/01 3:25:38 PM, "Matt Breslin" wrote: >heh i'm sorry I thought you were pointing out that it said "often >uncritical" i was, but that's in the definition of fanatic, not fan. :) _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 16:15:48 -0500 From: TOM J ACQUISTO Subject: TMBG: My Ultimate Mink Car Review Message-ID: <20010804.161549.-843975.0.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> This album is a lot more in the vein of Fun to steal than Factory Showroom, thankfully, more samples, funk, and more rockin' than usual. Overall very inventive and interesting. So here's my song by song review. Bangs- I Like it just as much as the McSweaney's version but in a different way. It's more upbeat and developed musically, yet John sounds less genuine and sentimental on the new one. Great song though. Cyclops Rock - There were two things I liked about the original version of this song 1) Flans comparing himself to both Nixon and Chuckie and2) Linnell's keyboard part on the "sweet like lead paint" part. What happened??? It's a little more rockin' and that's neat, but those two things made the song. The Cerye Mathews (sp) part is also cool though, who is she? Man, It's So Loud in Here- The live version and DAS versions are great but this version is much better. They have never tried anything remotely similar to this and they pulled it off well. I like dance music now. I really want them to try to do this the same way live. Mr. Xcitement- Xcellent, Elegant song. Even if you don't like Doughty you have to admit that the horn parts and scratching are awesome. Doughty's rhyme skeemes are SupaPhat. This is a great song to rock out in the car to. Another First Kiss- The live one had this cool Weezer feel "THE MORNING ALARM RINGS" "THE CLOCK DANCE SHE'S WAITING" Now it has this terrible Weird Al doing James Tayler feel to it. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?? They need to change this before pressing, what were they thinking. I've Got a Fang- I love it, I'm the guy who started the Fang bashing a few months ago because the lyrics are so pathetic. But the new version gives the song so much meat that it's now beautifully dark. Hovering Sombrero- Great song, miss the spanish verse, the line about the calendar pages blowing out the window gets kind of annoying after a few listens and I can't figure out why, but it's a great line and great song anyway. Yeh Yeh- One of those TMBG song's that remind me of Smash Mouth,(Bottom of the Sea)-- but it's okay. Like Bottom of the Sea, there's some really cool parts and sounds. Finally got that Bari out for an album again, Yeh Yeh. Hopeless Bleak Despair- ***** LOve It***** The chorus is so beautiful, the last verse cracks me up and kicks my ass over and over and over. Wonderful song. Can anyone think of another TMBG song where linnell sings in that way on the first verse, I'm not us to him using that type of melody? I don't know how to describe it. Drink- good song, seems kind of aimed at employees of the resterant industry. monkey suit, cigarette break, drinking after work. My Man- another super Linnell song. I can't wait to hear how they perform it live. Older- It's tied with theFactory Showroom sessions as my favorite version. If this version had the bass clarinet, the Linnell singing over his own voice part, and TIME pause, I could ask for nothing more. Very glad they didn't throw the MITM version on here. Mink Car- Better song if Flans could hit the notes a little better, liked the horn part. Let's just say "It's not a hit on the mink car, hit on the mink car." Finished with Lies- I really prefer the slower one namely the version they played on NPR. It was perfect, they could have released that. Linnell sang like he meant it, very sentimental and smooth. This one's way too fast and happy and the "Lie-hies" vocal overdubs are just plain silly making the song very disapointing. She Thinks She's Edith Head- Still an interesting concept, but still doesn't work at all. Working Undercover for the Man- The live folky version from a few years back was really good, but I can't get past the cheesy keyboard sound and drum beat on this one. The only thing that makes this a good closing song is that it doesn't get between the good ones. Closing song on a good note would have been Hopeless Bleak Despair. I like the album better than the Showroom and they are definitely experimenting in a good way again. nick ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 17:12:43 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Who is Hudson Shad? Message-ID: In a message dated 8/4/01 6:16:31 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << Flansburgh wrote both the music and the lyrics, and sang the demo. He just thought Hudson Shad could sing it better (and he was right). >> Who is the obviously pseudonymous Hudson Shad? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 17:19:49 EDT From: PosterKid1@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Message-ID: <81.e168c1d.289dc0f5@aol.com> In a message dated 8/4/01 6:16:31 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: << I write the mooky My verse is extra spooky Like Flansy in a soda can It's trooky-trooky-trooky No way it's "trooky." >> Yes way. It rhymes, of course, with "mooky" and "spooky," and is an allusion to the Run-DMC jam "It's Tricky." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:42:24 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <9khqh7$2iu2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Bryan T, Hoerber wrote in message news:5.1.0.14.2.20010804131650.00a82198@mail.aviationpage.com... > No arguments here, I totally agree. > > At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: > >Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg > >album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. And > >the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! > >-Charlie > Me too. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:00:56 -0500 From: "Jay G" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Message-ID: <9khure$2mru$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" wrote in message news:LAW2-F8869aZbLAX3cf0000a1f0@hotmail.com... > >Well, we did pay $70 for them. Why should others get them for free? > > There are always opportunists out there who would take advantage of getting > everything all at once for free, however, you never know when all of the > past TMBG UnLtd will be available at the same time. Could be there one day > and not the next. It is very unpredictable. > > I think people should do the honest thing and pay for the tracks, just like > everyone else has to. However, I do like the idea that all the past UnLtd > tracks are available at certain points in time, as one of the drivers in my > hard drive died, and we had to buy a new tower. > > Contained on that old computer was everything we wanted to keep, including > all my downloaded TMBG UnLtd tracks from previous months. It will only run > in safe mode and the CD-ROM and floppy drive do not work, so I can't > retrieve or transfer anything from it. I have redownloaded some of them, > but now I am missing a few months worth of songs, and it is annoying that I > can't get the missing tracks unless they are made available by EMusic again. I liked that the first month og TMBGU mp3s show up in "My Account" on the emusic site. They should've just kept doing that, so that those who 'bought' them when they first came out would always have access. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:39:45 From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-4 Message-ID: ><< I write the mooky >My verse is extra spooky >Like Flansy in a soda can >It's trooky-trooky-trooky > >No way it's "trooky." >> > > Yes way. It rhymes, of course, with "mooky" and "spooky," and is an >allusion to the Run-DMC jam "It's Tricky." I can see that it rhymes, but it sounds very much to me like he's saying "kooky." _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 20:26:48 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <3B6CA0D8.28B5C5@uswest.net> I agree with you, Matt, as I've been a fan since LINCOLN came out. I didn't like JOHN HENRY much when I first heard it. Of course, in time, I grew to like the whole album. It was a very different sound. That is all. 'WttJ' Jim Mohan TMBG Amg to MN Matt Breslin wrote: > I didn't mean to start a post on whether or whether or not john henry sucks. > I was just saying that even though I hated John Henry I stuck with the band > and it is okay to be critical. Anyway, you have to understand that I was > listening to TMBG before John Henry came out. For a lot of people John Henry > was the first album they bought so it just sounds like TMBG to them. It > didn't sound like TMBG to me. I misinterpreted the email anyway. I thought > he was saying that people who are critical shouldn't be called "fans" or > "fanatics". So I hope nobody fights about John Henry now. > > >From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" > >Reply-To: "Bryan T, Hoerber" > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] > >Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:17:05 -0700 > > > >No arguments here, I totally agree. > > > >At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: > >>Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg > >>album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. > >>And > >>the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! > >>-Charlie > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:45:56 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <9ki8al$2uer$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Matt Breslin" wrote in message news:F183oOdHa24ABvWZ0HH0000b33d@hotmail.com... > I didn't mean to start a post on whether or whether or not john henry sucks. > I was just saying that even though I hated John Henry I stuck with the band > and it is okay to be critical. Anyway, you have to understand that I was > listening to TMBG before John Henry came out. For a lot of people John Henry > was the first album they bought so it just sounds like TMBG to them. It > didn't sound like TMBG to me. I misinterpreted the email anyway. I thought > he was saying that people who are critical shouldn't be called "fans" or > "fanatics". So I hope nobody fights about John Henry now. > while bryan may not have been saying that.. there were other posts where people said that people who are critical aren't fans.. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:14:04 -0400 From: "Chris" Subject: TMBG: Re: Spoiled? Message-ID: <9kia77$2vsc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org but chrissy you are missing the point. we all like tmbg b/c of what they do. not b/c of what they aren't doing. we like them b/c they don't co-write with britney spears or yodel or whatever. and if they did most fans would grow to like it. it's like another band i enjoy, jethro tull. the first time i heard their dot com album i hated it, but it has grown on me. i do have discriminating tastes. i hate, for example, britney spears, dave matthews, pepsi, and many other things. i am personally a tmbg super fan. i love all their work. some more then others. and i even don't agree with some of their personal choices, but they are my favorite band. and for the most part we are all spoiled. linnell said, at the house of blues, "[these songs are] not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that haven't been released. damn you." now i think he was mostly joking, but it has truth in the fact that all us fans have too much access to the material. so yeah chris the ugly camel Chrissy Rockwell wrote in message news:9kh91v$23i0$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > There are a large group of us here, myself included, who have heard tmbg > demos and alt. versions before there was a tmbgu. > No, most of us that are disappointed in Mink Car aren't fans that only like > Flood. We aren't spoiled children > People are allowed to not like what TMBG does. I think it takes a fan with > discriminating tastes to say that maybe something isn't as good as it could > be. We actually think when we listen to music, we don't say "It's TMBG it > MUST be good." I think the immature ones here are the people who are saying > "Grow up, You are a TMBG fan so LIKE IT!". If they start singing yodeling > and co-writing songs with Britney Spears, do I have to like it then, simply > because it's TMBG? Not everyone is going, to like everything. I think the > people who can admit that, are the true distinctive, and mature, music > listeners. > > > I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and agree with Chris here. I > > don't have UnLimited, but I did happen to stumble upon the demo tracks of > a > > couple songs - "Bangs," which I loved to death, "Wicked Little Critta" > which > > I was fairly indifferent to, etc. I, too, have only listened to the 30 > > second samples, and I like what I hear for the most part. I like the new > > "Man, It's So Loud In Here," but I know I would love it if I hadn't heard > > the original rock version. Same goes for "She Thinks She's Edith Head," > > which was one of my favorite songs until I heard the new version with the > > bored vocals. > > > > We HAVE been spoiled, but we've also been given a very rare opprotunity to > > hear how the songs from out favorite artists grow and change over time. > > It's very educational and at the same time gives us (or, the lucky ones of > > us) some different versions of songs along the way. I, for one, can't > wait > > until the official release of Mink Car, and I'll be waiting in line to > pick > > one up on the first day, unlike I did for the new Cake CD which I now > can't > > find anywhere. > > > > Bleh. > > > > -Casey > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:26:34 -0400 From: "Chris" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <9kiaul$30e2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org totally i love john henry. but my favorite song is stomp box. it makes me said though that they don't play it live. :-( oh well they still rock house. chris the camel faced tmbg fanatic from naptown, md makebase wrote in message news:9khqh7$2iu2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > Bryan T, Hoerber wrote in message > news:5.1.0.14.2.20010804131650.00a82198@mail.aviationpage.com... > > No arguments here, I totally agree. > > > > At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: > > >Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg > > >album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. > And > > >the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! > > >-Charlie > > > > Me too. > > -- > Shaun > www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 04:31:48 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Who is Hudson Shad? Message-ID: PosterKid: >In a message dated 8/4/01 6:16:31 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > ><< Flansburgh wrote both the music and the lyrics, and sang the demo. He >just thought Hudson Shad could sing it better (and he was right). >> > > Who is the obviously pseudonymous Hudson Shad? It's not a pseudonym, but a group. The names of the members are listed in the John Henry liner notes, but I don't have those handy just now. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:41:17 -0400 From: "Daniel Bearl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: Yes! End of the Tour (although it scared me a bit when I first heard it) Is definately one of TMBG's best songs. If I were to ever cover a song in tribute to a band, I'd cover that one. dMb >Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg >album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. And >the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! >-Charlie > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 01:30:34 EDT From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <44.112ab7e4.289e33fa@aol.com> In a message dated 8/4/01 4:15:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dirky1@bellsouth.net writes: > Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg > album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. And > the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. I love John Henry, too, because most of the songs are fairly easy on the guitar. And End of the Tour is the only song I can play on piano. DRW TMBG A to OH ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-5 *****************************