Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 6 Monday, 6 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... TMBG: A couple of things to consider TMBG: Re: A couple of things to consider TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-5 Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] TMBG: Factory Showroom TMBG: I've got the golden tickets!!! RE: TMBG: My Ultimate Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Mink Car = Sadness Re: TMBG: Another Mink Car Review >:-| Re: TMBG: Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Different versions of the Son of God TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... TMBG: mp3s TMBG: Re: mp3s TMBG: Status of current DaS... TMBG: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG: TMBG:Re: Re: Another Mink Car Review >:-| Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 02:40:22 EDT From: Gegatron@aol.com Subject: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <3d.f7070da.289e4456@aol.com> Do you know what album I can never listen to by tmbg? It ain't mink car... it's They Might be Giants. Yep. I hate their first Album! It totally blows! Youth Culture Killed My Dog is the worst tmbg song ever! Everything on that album sucks except for Everything right is wrong... don't lets start... and she's an angel. I'm not alone here either. Most people who have never heard tmbg will tell you that Factory Showroom and Mink Car are two thousand times better than the pink album. In my opinion they keep getting better. Right now they are writing their most fun and catchy songs ever as well as their weirdest and most experimental. If you were to combine Mink Car and McSweenies together it would be the best most original album in existence in the history of time. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 03:00:11 EDT From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: TMBG: A couple of things to consider Message-ID: The problem with the negative reviews is that some of them seem to be as extreme as the good ones or even more so, like the person who said that TMBG died for him in 1999, or the one who said Hopeless, Bleak Despair was the worst song Linnell ever wrote. It's one thing to be critical, but when you get down to it, it's still a matter of opinion. TMBG try harder than any other band I can think of to sound as different as possible from album to album without completely losing their musical identity (and bless 'em for that), which means that nothing they do is going to appeal to everyone. Another thing is that when this album hits stores, we need to present a more united front. This is our band, people, and just like a family whose members sometimes snap at each other but will kick the ass of anyone who threatens one of their own, we need to fight unfair criticism of and ignorance of TMBG whenever and wherever possible. Even if you don't like Mink Car, most of you admit it's still better than 90% of the crap out there, so let's spread the love :) Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 08:20:05 EDT From: Instaboy@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #44-5 Message-ID: <12d.26dc8d5.289e93f5@aol.com> It's funny. I have loved TMBG since I was 10 (I am nearly 22 now) and Factory Showroom is my favorite album. I am the minority I guess. george p.s. I really like John Henry too, with the exception of a few songs. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 09:31:19 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <3B6D58B7.C68B3EA5@uswest.net> Gegatron@aol.com wrote: > Do you know what album I can never listen to by tmbg? It ain't mink car... > it's They Might be Giants. Yep. I hate their first Album! It totally blows! > Youth Culture Killed My Dog is the worst tmbg song ever! Everything on that > album sucks except for Everything right is wrong... don't lets start... and > she's an angel. I disagree.. while I agree that 'Don't..' & '..Angel' are among their best songs on Pink, I can't wait to get past 'Everything..' (which I believe to be worse than 'Youth Culture') And, while not on the album, the version of 'Kiss Me, Son of God' on the 'Hotel Dec' single (an then on Misc T) I think is better than the polished version on Lincoln. > I'm not alone here either. Most people who have never heard tmbg will tell > you that Factory Showroom and Mink Car are two thousand times better than the > pink album. Hmmmm....Let's see....if we compare their 1st album with something they did in the 90s, we could say it bites! And yes, ol' Pinkie can't compare to Flood or Apollo 18. But this is their first album. It's like comparing 'Sgt. Pepper's' or 'The White Album' with 'Please Please Me'. And besides, again, I disagree, while I like 'I Can Hear You', I didn't care much for FS. It didn't even grow on me like JOHN HENRY eventually did. And while I'll listen to it once in a while, I thought it was one of the weakest albums they put out. > In my opinion they keep getting better. Right now they are writing their most > fun and catchy songs > ever as well as their weirdest and most experimental. If you were to combine > Mink Car and McSweenies together it would be the best most original album in > existence in the history of time. I didn't care for some of the Giants' tracks on McSweeney's..thought some of the tracks were a bit much. Some of those tracks sounded like TMBG trying to sound like TMBG, and not doing a very good job of it. And, despite all this, I will probably continue to buy their stuff (or at least d/l from somewhere off the 'net..). I like 'em! Friends may think I like 'em too much, but that's ok. They don't understand my 'Weird Al' collection either. ..Just one of those ecentricities I have... Nuff Said. 'WttJ' Jim Mohan TMBG Amb to MN ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 09:33:12 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: <3B6D5928.13F7FC51@uswest.net> YES! STOMP BOX! Chris wrote: > totally i love john henry. but my favorite song is stomp box. it makes me > said though that they don't play it live. :-( oh well they still rock house. > > chris > the camel faced tmbg fanatic from naptown, md > > makebase wrote in message > news:9khqh7$2iu2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org... > > Bryan T, Hoerber wrote in message > > news:5.1.0.14.2.20010804131650.00a82198@mail.aviationpage.com... > > > No arguments here, I totally agree. > > > > > > At 01:15 PM 8/4/2001, you wrote: > > > >Actually, I myself love John Henry....it might even be my favorite tmbg > > > >album, I dunno. Its just so DARK and different, its quite a contrast. > > And > > > >the End of the Tour is one of the best songs ever recorded. Period! > > > >-Charlie > > > > > > > Me too. > > > > -- > > Shaun > > www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 10:34:35 -0400 From: "Frederick Holloran" Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom Message-ID: >It's funny. I have loved TMBG since I was 10 (I am nearly 22 now) and > >Factory >Showroom is my favorite album. >I am the minority I guess. >george >p.s. I really like John Henry too, with the exception of a few songs. ________________________________________________________________________ I'm in the same position. John Henry is my least favorite of all of TMBGs albums, which in no way makes it bad. Factory Showroom always seemed like a great CD. Oh yeah...I started listening to TMBG when I was 10 also. I baught Lincoln and LOVED it. Now I'm 22 and that album still whacks me over the head with its musical goodness. I am looking forward to MC...When Severe Tire Damage came out I had allready heard a majority of the tracks, and it ruined the whole cd for me. I've held off this time and am looking forward to it....especially Mr. Xcitement. Soul Coughing was great. -f "The caribou love [the Alaska Pipeline}. They rub up against it, and they have babies." -Bush Sr., New York Times, Jan. 17, 1992 _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:16:28 -0700 From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Subject: TMBG: I've got the golden tickets!!! Message-ID: Thursday, September 13th, The Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA. 20 bucks each -- cheap!! The CD will have been out for two days, so it should have sold, hmm, a good seven million units by then. Hopefully I won't have to fight my way past all the teenyboppers who only want to hear "Man It's So Loud in Here", the Number One Single in the World. (waking up) It was all a dream! Wait, no it wasn't! They really are coming to Seattle to start Their tour! And I really did just order tickets!!! PZ giddy as a schoolboy p.s. Mr. Xcitement rocks my world, so live with it. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:00:24 -0500 From: "Julie Harrison" Subject: RE: TMBG: My Ultimate Mink Car Review Message-ID: >Cyclops Rock - There were two things I liked about the original version >of this song 1) Flans comparing himself to both Nixon and Chuckie and2) >Linnell's keyboard part on the "sweet like lead paint" part. What >happened??? It's a little more rockin' and that's neat, but those two >things made the song. The Cerye Mathews (sp) part is also cool though, >who is she? cerys matthews is the singer for the welsh band catatonia, i've seen them live twice and they're really great, everyone should check 'em out. julie styloroc.net aim - sparklerock icq - 21324220 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:24:56 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car = Sadness Message-ID: Matt Breslin: >14. Wicked Little Critta - BLAH!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! I think the saddest >thing about this is that a lot of people don't know how COOL this song was >on dial-a-song. Then the elegant too remixed it. It is now so annoying that >I can't even listen to it anymore. Yes, the Dial-A-Song version WAS cool. I've always liked this one. (Okay, that's not entirely true. The first time I heard it, I thought, "Huh? What's this?" and wondered if it had something to do with Malcolm in the Middle. It grew on me quickly, though.) It wasn't really changed all that much, though. I mean, aside from additional drum fills and such, it sounds pretty much the same as it did on Dial-A-Song. Sure, those loud drums don't exactly seem to fit, but how many other songs can you think of that were changed so little from the DAS versions? I wonder whether people made the same kinds of complaints when they heard the album versions of other songs. ("They totally ruined 'Birdhouse In Your Soul'! What happened to the line about the the fresh-baked yummy dessert? That was the best part!") -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:31:16 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Mink Car Review >:-| Message-ID: Charlie Miller: >Cyclops Rock - Remake of the demos. Much worse. Why redo? I have no idea. I seem to remember that Butcher Brothers version as sounding fairly flat, like Flansburgh had a cold when he singing it or something. Maybe that had more to do with the computer I was using at the time than the recording, though. I don't know for sure, but I DO think it was a good idea to redo this one. Besides, the BB version mentioned "two glass eyes," and where would a cyclops keep a second glass eye? >The same bass riff repeats the whole time Have basslines EVER been TMBG's strong point? >Mink Car - Easy listening?? Weird. I can't complain too much, because I can >stand to hear it...but I mean, gosh, what happened to the days of Ana Ng?? Whatever does "Ana Ng" have to do with this song? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:39:11 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Review Message-ID: Marcus B: >4. Mr Xcitement - Mr Xcrement Hey! That's MY really bad joke! >8. Yeh Yeh - Come on. NO MORE COVERS. TMBG covers too many songs. They do >covers live, on UnLtd, and on their albums.. too many! Leave the covers for >tribute albums.. Considering how many covers a lot of bands do, I think it's kind of silly that you're making this complaint. They have been releasing more covers recently, but there's generally a maximum of one on each album (Severe Tire Damage being the exception, since it has both "Istanbul" and "Why Does The Sun Shine?"), with most of them being reserved for B-sides. I don't really understand why you're complaining about covers on Unlimited. Isn't that the kind of rare thing that SHOULD be on there? Besides, who wants to buy a tribute album for one song? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:47:52 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry [WAS Re: Spoiled?] Message-ID: Bryan Hoerber: >I seem to get the impression that John Henry is an album that no one really >likes. As you could probably tell from the other responses to your post, this isn't true. Opinions ARE pretty sharply divided on it, though, perhaps much more than for any other TMBG album. Why? I think the people saying it was dark hit on part of it. Other TMBG albums have plenty of songs about death and destruction, but they tend to be pretty upbeat despite the lyrics. Many of the tracks on JH, on the other hand, sound musically forlorn and melancholy. There's also the fact that this was the first TMBG album done with a full band, and there are a lot of horns and guitar solos, which might turn off people who were fond of the accordions and drum machines of earlier albums. Personally, I think JH is a great album (not the best, though; that would probably be Lincoln), and I love the horns, but I can see how someone might disagree. For what it's worth, the Johns didn't seem to like this one as much as some of the others. They hardly ever play anything from it in concert (except "Spy," which is probably the worst song on there), and they have suggested in some interviews that they were still experimenting with the full band at the time, and they found Factory Showroom to be a far more satisfactory full-band album. (For what it's worth, I like JH better than FS.) >I am one of the few people I know who has stayed out of Top 40 pop >for the most part and I have really formed an eclectic taste in music. I >have stuff from all genres and all periods. I got some Jimmy Buffett, Glenn >Miller, Bush, Beck, BB King, Eric Clapton, Cirque Du Soleil, No Doubt, >Barenaked Ladies. I think a lot of those bands have been Top 40 at one time or other... -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:01:35 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: Gegatron: >Do you know what album I can never listen to by tmbg? Is it Insect Hospital? Matt's Life Savings? The Spaghetti Incident? >It ain't mink car... >it's They Might be Giants. Yep. I hate their first Album! It totally >blows! Youth Culture Killed My Dog is the worst tmbg song ever! I'm not sure what song I'd consider their worst ever, but YCKMD isn't that great. It's a clever concept, though, and, as far as pink album songs go, I like it better than "Alienation's For The Rich." >Everything >on that album sucks except for Everything right is wrong... don't lets >start... and she's an angel. I'm not alone here either. Most people who >have never heard tmbg will tell you that Factory Showroom and Mink Car are >two thousand times better than the pink album. If they've never heard TMBG, how is their opinion worth anything? (Yes, I know you mean people who have heard very little TMBG, but I'm being a wise-ass.) As for the pink album and Factory Showroom, I have almost opposite opinions on them. FS has great songs (well, mostly), but they don't fit together as well as they could. The pink album, on the other hand, has a lot of songs that don't really amount to much individually, but there's a mood to the whole thing that I like. It's sort of eerie, and kind of naive-sounding. >In my opinion they keep >getting better. Right now they are writing their most fun and catchy songs >ever as well as their weirdest and most experimental. If you were to >combine >Mink Car and McSweenies together it would be the best most original album >in >existence in the history of time. I was thinking of this earlier today. People keep using Mink Car as evidence that TMBG is getting poppier and more mainstream (which, from what I've heard, is an argument people also made about John Henry and FS, and probably other albums, too), but McSweeney's was awfully experimental. In a way, it reminds me of some of TMBG's earliest works (early Dial-A-Songs, and pink album tracks like "Hide Away Folk Family" and "Boat Of Car"), but with greater musical skill going into it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:07:17 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Different versions of the Son of God Message-ID: Jim Mohan: >And, while not on the album, the version of 'Kiss Me, Son >of God' on the 'Hotel Dec' single (an then on Misc T) I think is better >than the >polished version on Lincoln. I think the Lincoln version is better overall, but the original version has one thing going for it: the ending. It ends with a big finish, while the Lincoln version basically just stops. Since it's an ending track, you'd think that they'd want the Lincoln version to have a more pronounced ending, if you know what I mean. (Of course, I always listen to Lincoln as part of Then, so I don't always think of KMSOG as an ending track anyway. Then again, "Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man" is probably an even worse ending track.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:10:26 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... Message-ID: Jim Kuemmerle: > > Not every thing that is purple is gay. I really like purple and I dont >think > > I'm gay... It really shits me when people say purple is a gay colour... > > even though I agree on the fact that the song is infact stupid. > >what song is this? *confused look* Purple Toupee? Purple Rain? Purple People Eater? General Purplefeet's War Chant? > > enough rambling... I need sleep I spent all weekend formal (like 4 the > > prom) dress shopping... I must have tried over 70 dresses... but I got >a > > really nice one. > >yay!! dress shopping is fun, even when you're not the one trying on the >stuff. Nice save. > > lyndy or sam...i'm not quite sure tonight. > >--jim kuemmerle, also fond of purple, also not gay... I kind of like purple, too, and I'm not gay. Actually, purple is also considered to be a royal color. (Then again, considering the number of gay royals in Europe, maybe that's how it got the gay connection in the first place.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:49:56 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... Message-ID: <9kl0e8$229p$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org boy oh boy i wish i saw the original post in this thread ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 23:22:00 -0400 From: "Frederick Holloran" Subject: TMBG: mp3s Message-ID: Hey. I was wondering.... I used to have a god-awful amount of live tmbg bootlegs, unreleased stuff, etc. on my HD. When I moved, however, my comp. was left at my house where me brothers took the liberty of killing it. I've been "out of the loop" for awhile (since the release of STD) and would like people's reccomendations on what live tracks or whatnot to search for...and if it's not too much trouble...where to obtain them (besides audiogalay, limewire, etc.) NOTE: I am not looking to freeload off of someone who has signed up for unlimited. A good amount of these songs may be or have been released on unlimited, but I would like to hear people's opinions on the best versions of some of the songs available. A couple years ago I had the sweetest version of Dr. Worm...it was amazing...If I could find it again, I would be amazingly grateful. Oh yes...are there two versions of "sensurround" out there? blah blah blah... feel free to email me at veganfred@hotmail.com, too. -f _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:31:31 -0400 From: "Jon" Subject: TMBG: Re: mp3s Message-ID: <005401c11e28$4a921fa0$10450241@mshome.net> > Oh yes...are there two versions of "sensurround" out there? > blah blah blah... Sensurround was released on the SEXXY Single and The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Soundtrack. I can't quite remember the differences between the two, except that the bridges were different. I think the MMPR Soundtrack version was a bit more rockin' also and the bridge was more interesting. I can't remember what made it interesting though. Hope that helps Jon "I know the bare minimum about everything TMBG related" Jenkins ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:28:01 EDT From: Film2Edit@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Status of current DaS... Message-ID: <3d.f7be20f.289f76d1@aol.com> Was curious. For the last two days, I've wanted to hear "Lazy Head and Sleepy Bones" or any up coming DaS currents. Did the machine go "boom" or might they be changing the track? Talk 2 u later-Erika P.S. Personally, when "Mink Car" comes out, will form my own opinion of the album. Yeah, "Boss of Me" should have been on there, but someone could have had some dispute on putting it there or didn't make it on time for press for some deranged reason. Oh well. As for some of my old favorites, "Hey Mr. D.J.", "Bird House", "Dead", "Sleep Walkers", "Spiraling Shape", "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head", and "Dr. Worm". "Boss of Me" is still catchy, and the video is pretty cool. Currently hooked on "Lazy Bones and Sleepy Head". Can't quite place the instrument, but the instrument that fluctuates low to high makes for a calm feeling to the song's name sake. "No!", where will it find a home? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:32:50 -0700 From: "Erich" Subject: TMBG: Message-ID: >The Spaghetti Incident? Nice Calvin and Hobbes reference......although I swear it was the NOODLE incident. or maybe you werent making a calvin reference at all and I look foolish Erich ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:44:56 -0600 From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: >Gegatron: >>Do you know what album I can never listen to by tmbg? > >Is it Insect Hospital? Matt's Life Savings? The Spaghetti Incident? Sorry to say "The Spaghetti Incident?" isn't TMBG. It is some glam rock heavy metal hair band from the 80's. Can't remember which one though...they all sound the same to me. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 01:28:58 -0400 (EDT) From: David Mccaleb Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: >Sorry to say "The Spaghetti Incident?" isn't TMBG. It is some glam rock >heavy metal hair band from the 80's. Can't remember which one >though...they all sound the same to me. Its Guns n' Roses. dmc ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:03:28 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Message-ID: <200108060502.f7652s374891@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 8/5/01 11:32:50 PM, "Erich" wrote: >>The Spaghetti Incident? > >Nice Calvin and Hobbes reference......although I swear it was the NOODLE >incident. > >or maybe you werent making a calvin reference at all and I look foolish > "The Spaghetti Incident?" is a Guns n Roses album from '99 or '00 _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:04:42 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Message-ID: <200108060504.f76548374965@ussenterprise.ufp.org> 8/6/01 12:01:09 AM, John David Crafton wrote: >8/5/01 11:32:50 PM, "Erich" wrote: > >>>The Spaghetti Incident? >> >>Nice Calvin and Hobbes reference......although I swear it was the NOODLE >>incident. >> >>or maybe you werent making a calvin reference at all and I look foolish >> >"The Spaghetti Incident?" is a Guns n Roses album from '99 or '00 > > excuse me, 93. sorry. _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:01:14 -0400 From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG:Re: Re: Another Mink Car Review >:-| Message-ID: <003d01c11e3d$339f49c0$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I seem to remember that Butcher Brothers version as sounding fairly flat, > like Flansburgh had a cold when he singing it or something. Maybe that had > more to do with the computer I was using at the time than the recording, > though. I don't know for sure, but I DO think it was a good idea to redo > this one. Besides, the BB version mentioned "two glass eyes," and where > would a cyclops keep a second glass eye? I'm not really sure about versions, but whichever one was on Unlimited I like better. > Have basslines EVER been TMBG's strong point? the thing that bothers me about the bassline is not the actual notes. Its the fact that, musically, thats all thats going on. > >Mink Car - Easy listening?? Weird. I can't complain too much, because I can > >stand to hear it...but I mean, gosh, what happened to the days of Ana Ng?? > > Whatever does "Ana Ng" have to do with this song? My point was that in my opinion, mink car is a pretty mediocre song. I'm not saying its rotten, I'm just saying its not great, either. However, Ana Ng IS a great song. All of lincoln is great. Not mediocre. Great. I miss the days of great tmbg albums. -Charlie "Hates Mr. Xcitement with a passion normally reserved for certain fruits" Miller http://flipse.com/dirky/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-6 *****************************