Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 44, Number 7 Tuesday, 7 August 2001 Topics: TMBG: Lunchroom conversation Re: TMBG: How can I get the old Unlimited mp3s? Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. TMBG: The Other Day... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Re: TMBG: The Other Day... TMBG: Re: mp3s TMBG: NOT A PARROT.... TMBG: Re: The Other Day... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. TMBG: Purple, JH, and Doughty TMBG: Re: Mink Car, blah blah blah Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. TMBG: Re: Mink Car, blah blah blah The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Re: TMBG: NOT A PARROT.... TMBG: Unforgotten Re: TMBG: Re: mp3s Re: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident TMBG: Re: Unforgotten Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... TMBG: Cerys Matthews TMBG: Re: Cerys Matthews Re: TMBG: The Other Day... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Re: TMBG: Re: mp3s Re: TMBG:Re: Re: Another Mink Car Review >:-| Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Re: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Re[2]: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Re: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... RE: TMBG: Re: Cerys Matthews Re: TMBG: Vanity Plates Re: TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: ÁÁowner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. tmbg-list is compiled with Digest 3.7b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:17:02 EDT From: ErgoTM@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Lunchroom conversation Message-ID: <2b.194de7b6.289f905e@aol.com> Joey: I can't stand him Dave: I Don't know he seems pretty cool. Joey: I hate him, he just seems so fake. Alica: I think he has achieved Fonz like levels of cool Joey: Really? Alica: Yeah. Dave: I wouldn't go that far Matt: Who are you guys talking about? Joey: Mr. Xcitment Matt: Oh, well at least he's better than that John Henry kid Half say yeah, the other say watch it. My point is, um..., it's late ok. and I have no point. so there Jeff "stop staring" Craig ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 01:03:19 -0600 From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <9klfoj$2gf9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:F229BRWtCQra2BiLtjG00010a44@hotmail.com... > Gegatron: > >Do you know what album I can never listen to by tmbg? > > > >It ain't mink car... > >it's They Might be Giants. Yep. I hate their first Album! It totally > >blows! Youth Culture Killed My Dog is the worst tmbg song ever! > > I'm not sure what song I'd consider their worst ever, but YCKMD isn't that > great. It's a clever concept, though, and, as far as pink album songs go, I > like it better than "Alienation's For The Rich." I'd say my opinio of YCKMD is much the same, but I love AFTR. And like the "Cyclops Rock" lyric change, I think AFTR is better with the TV talking in Esperanto instead of Spanish when they've done it live. I guess it's because Esperanto is kind of out there in left field. I always wonder to myself, "Where in the world do they show TV shows in Esperanto? Esperantoland?" It's not the official language of any country, is it? I thought it was just for business and foreign relations. > >Everything > >on that album sucks except for Everything right is wrong... don't lets > >start... and she's an angel. I'm not alone here either. Most people who > >have never heard tmbg will tell you that Factory Showroom and Mink Car are > >two thousand times better than the pink album. > > As for the pink album and Factory Showroom, I have almost opposite opinions > on them. FS has great songs (well, mostly), but they don't fit together as > well as they could. The pink album, on the other hand, has a lot of songs > that don't really amount to much individually, but there's a mood to the > whole thing that I like. It's sort of eerie, and kind of naive-sounding. Must disagree again. I've always thought of the pink album as kind of a potpuri thing. Sort of like random early songs just grouped together. I've always wondered why so many of the demo tape songs weren't on the pink album and were saved for Lincoln. I think FS is far more cohesive as an album, in its mood, attitude and sound. > > >In my opinion they keep > >getting better. Right now they are writing their most fun and catchy songs > >ever as well as their weirdest and most experimental. If you were to > >combine > >Mink Car and McSweenies together it would be the best most original album > >in > >existence in the history of time. As one of the only people on this ng who hasn't heard Mink Car yet, I can't wait for it. I remember getting Factory Showroom, seeing that in only had 13 tracks, popping it in and hearing "S-E-X-X-Y," thinking how different-sounding it was and wondering if I was really going to like it, but soon after it had gained almost permanant residency in my CD player. The only redone song I've heard off Mink Car is "Man It's So Loud In Here" from the Restless website, and, well, it's a little different than what I had expected, but I'm sure Mink Car will soon be as much a part of the TMBG canon to me as any of the other albums. I do think they keep getting better. Not that their earlier stuff gets worse in comparison, but their genius seems to enlarge with every album, as if they are still masters of what they've done in the past, but have conquered some new level of art and are masters of that as well. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc/fanpromos/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 05:12:18 -0400 From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <003301c11e57$e4f47aa0$6c43c7d0@tdk> So it's almost the end of the show, and suddenly Flansburgh is asking for a request. A dozen people shout stuff (Sensurround, Statue, I've Got a Match and End of the Tour come to mind), meanwhile I'm thinking hard. Suddenly it hits me: conga line. So They take my request for No One Knows My Plan and two songs later at least 200 people are congaing. I personally pulled ten or twelve of my friends into the line. I hope they got some good footage of of the conga line and that it makes it into the film. -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:14:00 -0700 From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Subject: TMBG: The Other Day... Message-ID: on the digest list, somebody mentioned Man It's So Loud in Here and wondered about which two 80's bands were being saluted with this version. I may have missed the reply(ies), since the digest was down for a few days. Anyway, to me the chorus is dead-on New Order. And the verses sound exactly like some band that I can't quite put my finger on. I keep thinking Madness, but I'm not completely sure. Just something I've been thinking about. PZ > It pays homage to one or two well-known bands from the mid-1980s, >but we're hoping the song will >be so successful that eventually people will hear them and be reminded of us. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:57:17 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806025515.00ac35f8@mail.aviationpage.com> Wow! Sounds like fun. That is my idea of a TMBG concert. Something similar to a Jimmy Buffett concert, wild fun and festive. Not like the one I went to where there were so many obnoxious people there that kind of ruined the fun. Know what I mean? Speaking of Buffett concerts, if anyone is familiar with Buffett you know his fans are called Parrot Heads. And Parrot Heads typically dress up in loud shirts, coconut bras, shark suits, grass skits, etc... What would be suitable fun attire one could wear like that to a TMBG concert that would symbolize TMBG? At 02:12 AM 8/6/2001, you wrote: >So it's almost the end of the show, and suddenly Flansburgh is asking for >a request. A dozen people shout stuff (Sensurround, Statue, I've Got a >Match and End of the Tour come to mind), meanwhile I'm thinking hard. >Suddenly it hits me: conga line. So They take my request for No One Knows >My Plan and two songs later at least 200 people are congaing. I personally >pulled ten or twelve of my friends into the line. I hope they got some >good footage of of the conga line and that it makes it into the film. > > -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 02:59:56 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Other Day... Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806025745.00ac65b0@mail.aviationpage.com> I knew it sounded like 80s. But when I first got the UnLtd version and people said it was too technoish sounding I said it sounded more like 80s music. I don't think Madness is what the verses sound like. How about Modern English or The Cure, actually morose words aside the tempo and style could be close to Depeche Mode. But now I am just shooting into the dark. But when I hear the song for some reason Soft Cell - Tainted Love and David Bowie - China Girl get stuck in my head. At 12:14 AM 8/6/2001, you wrote: >on the digest list, somebody mentioned Man It's So Loud in Here and >wondered about which two 80's bands were being saluted with this >version. I may have missed the reply(ies), since the digest was down for >a few days. Anyway, to me the chorus is dead-on New Order. And the >verses sound exactly like some band that I can't quite put my finger >on. I keep thinking Madness, but I'm not completely sure. > >Just something I've been thinking about. > > >PZ > >> It pays homage to one or two well-known bands from the mid-1980s, but >> we're hoping the song will >>be so successful that eventually people will hear them and be reminded of us. > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 06:59:57 -0500 From: "Jay G" Subject: TMBG: Re: mp3s Message-ID: <9km0r4$2tcn$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Frederick Holloran" wrote in message news:F189zu23LiC1h1jYhAO00000e98@hotmail.com... > Hey. > > I was wondering.... > > I used to have a god-awful amount of live tmbg bootlegs, unreleased stuff, > etc. on my HD. When I moved, however, my comp. was left at my house where me > brothers took the liberty of killing it. > > I've been "out of the loop" for awhile (since the release of STD) and would > like people's reccomendations on what live tracks or whatnot to search > for...and if it's not too much trouble...where to obtain them (besides > audiogalay, limewire, etc.) > > NOTE: I am not looking to freeload off of someone who has signed up for > unlimited. A good amount of these songs may be or have been released on > unlimited, but I would like to hear people's opinions on the best versions > of some of the songs available. > > A couple years ago I had the sweetest version of Dr. Worm...it was > amazing...If I could find it again, I would be amazingly grateful. > Oh yes...are there two versions of "sensurround" out there? > blah blah blah... > > feel free to email me at veganfred@hotmail.com, too. The two sites to get every unreleased TMBG are: http://www.twistid.com/tmbg and http://tdk.tmbg.net Also, TMBG has their own subscription service where they release some previously unreleased stuff on mp3s here: http://www.emusic.com/features/tmbg/index.html That should hold you over. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:20:29 EDT From: Vazco@aol.com Subject: TMBG: NOT A PARROT.... Message-ID: <11f.2c91704.289ff39d@aol.com> In a message dated 8/6/01 5:57:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, alphafoxtrot@aviationpage.com writes: > Speaking of Buffett concerts, if anyone is familiar with Buffett you know > his fans are called Parrot Heads. And Parrot Heads typically dress up in > loud shirts, coconut bras, shark suits, grass skits, etc... What would be > suitable fun attire one could wear like that to a TMBG concert that would > symbolize TMBG? > > > The only thing I can think of is :WEAR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, THUS MAINTAINING YOUR INDIVIDUALILTY, NOT LIKE THE OBNOXIOUS PARROTHEADS!!!. Man, if there are two groups Id hate to be associated with, The Nazi's and the parrotheads. Q: What did one parrothead say to the other when they ran out of booze? A; Man, this music really SUCKS!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:16:38 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <9km8lo$2hj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Jimmy Buffett?!? It's not middle aged yuppies trying to capture their youth... I don't even know how festive a TMBG show is. It's like a normal indie type show.. people stand around they may or may not dance to their favorite songs (most people do sing along though), over the past couple of years there hasn't been as much dancing at the concerts.. and then everyone leaves.. As corny as a tmbg show can get with the ana ng dance or something like that.. it NEVER gets as dumb as parrot heads.. *shudders* You should wear what you want to a concert. I am making a shirt that says "John Linnell is Afraid of Me" (hears the fanboys saying *THIS IS WHY HE DOESNT LIKE US*).I doubt it would ever get done, or that I am going to wear it though.. I heard of someone making a shirt that says "Stop the funky drums". > Wow! Sounds like fun. That is my idea of a TMBG concert. Something similar > to a Jimmy Buffett concert, wild fun and festive. Not like the one I went > to where there were so many obnoxious people there that kind of ruined the > fun. Know what I mean? > > Speaking of Buffett concerts, if anyone is familiar with Buffett you know > his fans are called Parrot Heads. And Parrot Heads typically dress up in > loud shirts, coconut bras, shark suits, grass skits, etc... What would be > suitable fun attire one could wear like that to a TMBG concert that would > symbolize TMBG? > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:36:27 -0500 From: Andrew Boyle Subject: TMBG: Purple, JH, and Doughty Message-ID: Hello, All. A VERY busy Nathan replied: >--jim kuemmerle, also fond of purple, also not gay... >I kind of like purple, too, and I'm not gay. Actually, purple is also >considered to be a royal color. (Then again, considering the number of gay >royals in Europe, maybe that's how it got the gay connection in the first >place.) > I always associate purple with Church. Lots around Easter. Priests and Ministers wear it a lot and they're not...wait a minute. (Flame OFF, please.) _______________________ My 2 cents: John Henry is a damn fine CD. Anytime I can turn people onto a band I am happy to share. JH had many folks in my office singing along (esp. heard "Hey NyQuil Driver. It's NyQuil drivin' time!). Made a number of them go out and buy erlier stuff. Nathan also added: >For what it's worth, the Johns didn't seem to like this one as >much as some of the others. They hardly ever play anything from it in >concert (except "Spy," which is probably the worst song on there), This past Orlando concert they opened with Subliminal. Didn't do Spy. Did do 4 or 5 from FS. I would love to see them do "Till My Head Falls" Off live. Only saw them do it on Viva Variety. _______________________ As for Mink Car, the title track seems the weakest to me now that I hear the songs all strung together. I would have preferred "Your Mom's Alright" instead of "Mr. Xcitement" but Xcitement is fun. Doughty is helping to make some good stuff with different bands. He did have a little song that was popular around here with B.T. "Never Gonna Come Back Down". I love that he is bouncing around with various bands. I miss Soul Coughing. Saw them open for TMBG 6 years ago and was hooked. Doughty's solo acoustic stuff is good but I like the more kinetic songs. Love the rest of the new versions off MC. Especially, Loud in Here. Has great radio potential. Andrew Boyle Orlando, FL ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:37:08 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car, blah blah blah Message-ID: <9kma80$3r9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Jason Fickley" : > 2)Edith Head! What happened? The original vocals are > so much more energetic, so much fun! These > are...bland. I'll bet it's at least partially because the new vocals are easier for Flans to sing live. It's gone from an "oh boy, better put *two* Linnell songs after this one" to a "hey, I could follow Hotel Detective with this." Bryce Screams are inaudible. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:48:10 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <12d.2804d40.28a0082a@aol.com> >>I am making a shirt that says "John Linnell is Afraid of Me" Sign me up for one of those. :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:09:36 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car, blah blah blah Message-ID: <9kmbp5$5di$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org hehe when i saw them in april and they slowed it down, i was so disappointed > I'll bet it's at least partially because the new vocals are easier for Flans to sing live. It's gone from an "oh boy, better put > *two* Linnell songs after this one" to a "hey, I could follow Hotel Detective with this." > > Bryce > Screams are inaudible. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:21:09 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <9kmcgn$66j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org > > > Sorry to say "The Spaghetti Incident?" isn't TMBG. It is some glam rock > heavy metal hair band from the 80's. Can't remember which one though...they > all sound the same to me. > on a live version of rat patrol or possibly rest awhile.. Linnell goes "This song is from our next album The Spaghetti Incident?" and raises his voice at the end like a question. The joke of that post was all the names of future albums that TMBG threw out there. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:37:22 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806083008.00abaca0@mail.aviationpage.com> You mean to tell me my life is already half over? I don't like the idea of being a middle aged yuppy. After all I am only 21. That aside at a JB concert people from all walks of life attend. I remember seeing 10 year olds there having a good time singing along with the music and stuff. When I went to the TMBG concert I think my friend and I were the only ones singing along and doing the Ana Ng dance. People were looking at us like we completely lost it. And of course the thing that really kind of ruined that experience is the obnoxious people that seemed to fill the room thinking this was a grunge concert of some type. What was up with that? It looked like they were even trying to start a mosh pit near the stage. I was thinking of making a shirt too but then I decided against it because I couldn't think of any good phrase or logo to slap on it. So I guess I will continue to wear my Lockheed Martin SkunkWorks shirts and stuff. At 07:16 AM 8/6/2001, you wrote: >Jimmy Buffett?!? >It's not middle aged yuppies trying to capture their youth... I don't even >know how festive a TMBG show is. It's like a normal indie type show.. >people stand around they may or may not dance to their favorite songs (most >people do sing along though), over the past couple of years there hasn't >been as much dancing at the concerts.. and then everyone leaves.. As corny >as a tmbg show can get with the ana ng dance or something like that.. it >NEVER gets as dumb as parrot heads.. *shudders* > >You should wear what you want to a concert. I am making a shirt that says >"John Linnell is Afraid of Me" (hears the fanboys saying *THIS IS WHY HE >DOESNT LIKE US*).I doubt it would ever get done, or that I am going to wear >it though.. I heard of someone making a shirt that says "Stop the funky >drums". ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:47:59 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT A PARROT.... Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806083950.00abdde0@mail.aviationpage.com> I would love to go to a TMBG concert Naked but I don't think too many people would appreciate that. As far as comparing Parrot Heads to TMBG fans I'd have to say I think I like PHs a lot more because they are nowhere near as obnoxious and are capable of having more fun. A JB concert is more of a party than a concert experience. A TMBG is too much of a concert experience stereotypical of that of a Smashing Pumpkins concert with lots of drinking and drugs and a morose crowd. The only think is missing is a band that only knows two chords up there while everyone just jumps to the tempo of the music. Oh wait, that's what OK GO was for. At 06:20 AM 8/6/2001, you wrote: >The only thing I can think of is :WEAR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, THUS >MAINTAINING YOUR INDIVIDUALILTY, NOT LIKE THE OBNOXIOUS PARROTHEADS!!!. Man, >if there are two groups Id hate to be associated with, The Nazi's and the >parrotheads. > >Q: What did one parrothead say to the other when they ran out of booze? I don't know, ask me when I actually have booze to run out of. I think all the TMBG fans have it all and are totally fitshased. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:57:15 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: TMBG: Unforgotten Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806085520.00a799b8@mail.aviationpage.com> Where did the song Unforgotten come from? I really like this song and would like to pick up what album it came off of. Also I'd like to thank whoever sent it to me. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:05:17 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mp3s Message-ID: Jon: > > Oh yes...are there two versions of "sensurround" out there? > > blah blah blah... > >Sensurround was released on the SEXXY Single and The Mighty Morphin Power >Rangers Soundtrack. I can't quite remember the differences between the >two, >except that the bridges were different. I think the MMPR Soundtrack >version >was a bit more rockin' also and the bridge was more interesting. I can't >remember what made it interesting though. The bridge to the MMPR version has "ba ba ba" vocals sort of reminiscent of the Beach Boys. The other version just has an instrumental solo at that point. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:08:17 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Message-ID: John David Crafton: >8/5/01 11:32:50 PM, "Erich" wrote: > > >>The Spaghetti Incident? > > > >Nice Calvin and Hobbes reference......although I swear it was the NOODLE > >incident. > > > >or maybe you werent making a calvin reference at all and I look foolish It was a John Calvin reference. "The Spaghetti Incident" is how he referred to the Lutheran Church. >"The Spaghetti Incident?" is a Guns n Roses album from '99 or '00 "Welcome To The Jungle" is also a Guns 'N' Roses song, so TMBG has a history of ripping off titles from them. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:23:49 -0400 From: "Yer Pal Paul" Subject: TMBG: Re: Unforgotten Message-ID: <9kmga3$a6a$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Bryan T, Hoerber" wrote in message news:5.1.0.14.2.20010806085520.00a799b8@mail.aviationpage.com... > Where did the song Unforgotten come from? I really like this song and would > like to pick up what album it came off of. Also I'd like to thank whoever > sent it to me. Unforgotten was on the 1996 S-E-X-X-Y cd single still available at CD Now: http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1487344743/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/al bum.html/artistid=THEY+MIGHT+BE+GIANTS/itemid=383222 Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Now kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:31:05 -0400 From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <9kmgtk$ap9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org "Welcome to the Jungle" Jim Mohan : > Some of those [McSweeney's] tracks sounded like TMBG > trying to sound like TMBG, and not doing a very good job > of it. Oh, so *that's* what that sounds like! I had always expected it to sound more like one hand clapping. (Which, incidentally, if it's clapping in a forest and there's no one around to hear, makes a sound like a medley of "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" and Mono Puff's "What Bothers the Spaceman.") Bryce Clap your hand. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:49:05 +0100 From: "Al" Subject: TMBG: Cerys Matthews Message-ID: <002201c11e97$b597bd40$000c87d9@005282020097> Yeah! erm Cerys's band Catatonia are alright and I think its really great that they teamed up with a UK Artist, but what you may not know...... I heard from one of the tabloids that she is in The Priory which is a rehab clinic for Alcohol. I think it was about a month ago. Aftert thinking about it for a while I thought, maybe TMBG and Cerys went for a drinking session and it was the last straw!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:43:15 -0400 From: "Marcus B" Subject: TMBG: Re: Cerys Matthews Message-ID: <9kmhfb$bea$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org >I heard from one of the tabloids that she is in The Priory which is a rehab clinic for Alcohol. I think it was about a month ago. >Aftert thinking about it for a while I thought, maybe TMBG and Cerys went for a drinking session and it was the last straw!!!! Maybe working with TMBG drove her to become an alcoholic.. Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:47:22 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: The Other Day... Message-ID: In a message dated 8/6/01 5:40:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us writes: > on the digest list, somebody mentioned Man It's So Loud in Here and > wondered about which two 80's bands were being saluted with this > version. I may have missed the reply(ies), since the digest was down > for a few days. Anyway, to me the chorus is dead-on New Order. And > the verses sound exactly like some band that I can't quite put my > finger on. Nah. If ANY TMBG song is a Madness nod, it's "Your Racist Friend." Well, actually, I'd say that one's more of a Specials nod, but still. -HX, misses the ska guitar in "Cyclops Rock." "I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) "Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!!" -Drunken Dutchmen www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:08:11 EDT From: EmarZero@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: mp3s Message-ID: >Sensurround was released on the SEXXY Single and The Mighty Morphin Power >Rangers Soundtrack. I can't quite remember the differences between the >two, >except that the bridges were different. I think the MMPR Soundtrack >version >was a bit more rockin' also and the bridge was more interesting. I can't >remember what made it interesting though. The bridge to the MMPR version has "ba ba ba" vocals sort of reminiscent of the Beach Boys. The other version just has an instrumental solo at that Also, the MMPR version is a bit faster, and has some weird vocals on the last few refrains, under the actual chorus, that almost sound like someone is trying to sing backwards... -HX, Sensurround Scholar. (it IS my second favorite TMBG track, now surpassed by Cyclops Rock) "I must kill you, because God told me to." -Tigatron(?) "Vooral die smeerlap van een Hooper X !! QWe hate yopu !!!!!!!!!" -Drunken Dutchmen www.sexsexworld.com <-PLEASE KILL MY LONELY. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:28:30 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: Shaun: >I'd say my opinio of YCKMD is much the same, but I love AFTR. And like the >"Cyclops Rock" lyric change, I think AFTR is better with the TV talking in >Esperanto instead of Spanish when they've done it live. I think it was actually Spanish before it was Esperanto. Isn't the version that was on Unlimited last month the original one, by the Turtlenecks? It says "talkin' Spanish," not "in Esperanto." I agree that "Esperanto" is better, though. >I guess it's >because Esperanto is kind of out there in left field. I always wonder to >myself, "Where in the world do they show TV shows in Esperanto? >Esperantoland?" It's not the official language of any country, is it? I >thought it was just for business and foreign relations. I think it was supposed to be sort of a "universal language," but it never caught on. > > As for the pink album and Factory Showroom, I have almost opposite >opinions > > on them. FS has great songs (well, mostly), but they don't fit together >as > > well as they could. The pink album, on the other hand, has a lot of >songs > > that don't really amount to much individually, but there's a mood to the > > whole thing that I like. It's sort of eerie, and kind of >naive-sounding. > >Must disagree again. I've always thought of the pink album as kind of a >potpuri thing. Sort of like random early songs just grouped together. Yeah, the pink album and FS are kind of similar in this respect (and, incidentally, I've heard they're Flansburgh's two favorite albums; I guess he LIKES making potpourri albums), but I still think the pink album tracks work pretty well together. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:37:00 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Message-ID: Andrew Boyle: >A VERY busy Nathan replied: Considering that I just lost my job, I don't think I'm THAT busy. >>--jim kuemmerle, also fond of purple, also not gay... > >>I kind of like purple, too, and I'm not gay. Actually, purple is also >>considered to be a royal color. (Then again, considering the number of >>gay >>royals in Europe, maybe that's how it got the gay connection in the first >>place.) >> > >I always associate purple with Church. Lots around Easter. Priests >and Ministers wear it a lot and they're not...wait a minute. This post wasn't even supposed to go to this list, really. Personally, I've never thought of purple as being particularly homosexual, but apparently some people do. >This past Orlando concert they opened with Subliminal. Yeah, I think that, "Spy," "No One Knows My Plan," and "Meet James Ensor" are the only ones from that album they've been playing recently. Not even "Snail Shell," for some reason. Personally, I'd love to hear "A Self Called Nowhere" or "The End Of The Tour" live. >I would love to see them do "Till My Head Falls" Off live. Only saw >them do it on Viva Variety. I think they did it all the time during the Factory Showroom tour, but they've pretty much stopped playing it. Maybe Dan Miller doesn't like it much. I don't know. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:38:57 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: Chrissy Rockwell: >on a live version of rat patrol or possibly rest awhile.. >Linnell goes "This song is from our next album The Spaghetti Incident?" and >raises his voice at the end like a question. Yeah, I used to have that MP3. I'm still not sure where "Insect Hospital" came from, though. Anyone know? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:44:34 +0000 From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: Bryan Hoerber: >When I went to the TMBG concert I think my friend and I were the only ones >singing along and doing the Ana Ng dance. I think the problem with the Ana Ng dance and such is that TMBG concerts tend to be quite crowded, and you're liable to run into someone else or get in someone's way when doing something wild and space-consuming. A similar problem arises from singing too loud. People come there to hear TMBG, not you. I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't sing along or act enthusiastic. Just respect the rest of the audience, okay? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:48:14 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Message-ID: >>I would love to see them do "Till My Head Falls" Off live. Only saw them do it on Viva Variety. >>I think they did it all the time during the Factory Showroom tour, but they've pretty much stopped playing it. They played it last night. It was good to hear again! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:59:45 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re[2]: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Message-ID: <1284545557@sterl.com> And then there was The Linguini Incident, an unintelligible Bowie movie from the 70's. Caper flick, I think, I can't actually remember anything but that it was bad... It's amazing, though, how many incidents involving pasta were considered important enough to rate mention in some form of the entertainment biz.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Author: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Date: 08/06/01 12:08 PM John David Crafton: >8/5/01 11:32:50 PM, "Erich" wrote: > > >>The Spaghetti Incident? > > > >Nice Calvin and Hobbes reference......although I swear it was the NOODLE > >incident. > > > >or maybe you werent making a calvin reference at all and I look foolish It was a John Calvin reference. "The Spaghetti Incident" is how he referred to the Lutheran Church. >"The Spaghetti Incident?" is a Guns n Roses album from '99 or '00 "Welcome To The Jungle" is also a Guns 'N' Roses song, so TMBG has a history of ripping off titles from them. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:40:32 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Spaghetti Incident Message-ID: <3B6EE49F.8489251E@uswest.net> > >"The Spaghetti Incident?" is a Guns n Roses album from '99 or '00 Nope. I thought it was much older than that, so I checked All-Music Guide. I was right. It was out in '93. Not that it matters. Because we all really know that Bon Jovi rocks! (sorry..inside joke..but I couldn't help myself..) 'WttJ' Jim TMBG Amb to MN ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:42:33 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: <3B6EE519.35578A45@uswest.net> Yeah...so sit in your seats and hands to yourself! Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Bryan Hoerber: > >When I went to the TMBG concert I think my friend and I were the only ones > >singing along and doing the Ana Ng dance. > > I think the problem with the Ana Ng dance and such is that TMBG concerts > tend to be quite crowded, and you're liable to run into someone else or get > in someone's way when doing something wild and space-consuming. A similar > problem arises from singing too loud. People come there to hear TMBG, not > you. I'm certainly not saying that you shouldn't sing along or act > enthusiastic. Just respect the rest of the audience, okay? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:48:09 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Purple, JH, and heads falling off Message-ID: <3B6EE669.54E07EFE@uswest.net> > >I always associate purple with Church. Lots around Easter. Priests > >and Ministers wear it a lot and they're not...wait a minute. > > This post wasn't even supposed to go to this list, really. Personally, I've > never thought of purple as being particularly homosexual, but apparently > some people do. I don't think it's purple so much, as it is LAVENDER. I'm not gay myself, as my wife will attest. (Not that there's anything wrong with that..) But if I were a gay bee.... 'Wtt(not gay)J' Jim TMBG Amb to MN ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:55:52 -0500 From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <3B6EE838.70620254@uswest.net> .......whhhhhhissshhhhhhh....... .......whhhhhhissshhhhhhh....... one hand clapping in the wind. Bryce wrote: > "Welcome to the Jungle" Jim Mohan > > Some of those [McSweeney's] tracks sounded like TMBG > > trying to sound like TMBG, and not doing a very good job of it. > > Oh, so *that's* what that sounds like! I had always expected it to sound > more like one hand clapping. (Which, incidentally, if it's clapping in a > forest and there's no one around to hear, makes a sound like a medley of > "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" and Mono Puff's "What Bothers the > Spaceman.") > > Bryce > Clap your hand. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:02:38 -0400 From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: The Spaghetti Incident Re: TMBG: TMBG's worst album.... Message-ID: <9kmpen$jhf$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org I think they said one of their albums was supposed to be called that.. more than kidding around.. i dont remember completely, but i do recall it being mentioned in Efnet #tmbg once or twice.. > > Yeah, I used to have that MP3. I'm still not sure where "Insect Hospital" > came from, though. Anyone know? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:29:37 -0500 From: "Julie Harrison" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Cerys Matthews Message-ID: I've seen numerous pics of Cerys toting a whole bottle of wine and drinking from it, which makes her look like the poster girl for alcoholism, so I think this has been a long time coming... but anyways, I thought TMBG were a virutally alcohol-free band. julie -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Marcus B Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 11:43 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Cerys Matthews >I heard from one of the tabloids that she is in The Priory which is a rehab clinic for Alcohol. I think it was about a month ago. >Aftert thinking about it for a while I thought, maybe TMBG and Cerys went for a drinking session and it was the last straw!!!! Maybe working with TMBG drove her to become an alcoholic.. Marcus ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 12:37:55 -0700 From: "Bryan T, Hoerber" Subject: Re: TMBG: Vanity Plates Message-ID: <5.1.0.14.2.20010806123620.00abaf40@mail.aviationpage.com> The 1337 way to spell something is 50M7H1N6 At 09:01 AM 8/6/2001, you wrote: >sorry if I'm really behind, but what's the 1337 way to spell something? > >Geeks of the world unite! >~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com >"I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:27:31 -0400 From: "Daniel Bearl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: [TMBGofftopic] oh an ode to the gayness... Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:44:34 -0400 From: "Daniel Bearl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Everybody conga. I'm not fucking kidding. Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #44-7 *****************************