Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #45-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 45, Number 17 Monday, 17 September 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Finally! A Mink Car Review! Re: TMBG: Jane REVIEW RE: TMBG: Road to Avalon Re: TMBG: Jane REVIEW RE: TMBG: Jane REVIEW TMBG: Dr Worm mentioned on SG: CTC Re: TMBG: Dr Worm mentioned on SG: CTC Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200109160715.f8G7F0U06916@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <168.ec9dca.28d57e05@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:01:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: Finally! A Mink Car Review! Songs with a * meant I hadn't heard them until Wednesday when I bought the CD. Bangs* - I like it. nice way to start an album. Kind of an Apollo 18 era sound to it. Cyclops Rock - Maybe my favorite track on the CD. The bells are cool, although my cat thinks that they are the dorrbell, and she runs and hides. Because she is afraid of the people behind the doorbell. And the lady at the end -- creepily awesome. It's So Loud in Here - soooo groovy. yeah, I liked the previous live versions, too, but this is pretty awesome. Mr. Xcitement* - I can see why so many people might hate it, but I really like it. btw, I just bought Soul Coughing's Irresistible Bliss. I like it. Cafe con pan. Another First Kiss - I like the new version. I also like the old one. I keep inserting in my mind the bass groove from BNL's "Pinch Me" in the chorus. I actually tried playing that on the bass along with it, and it worked. I've Got a Fang* - Awesome little rhymes. I love the little thing at the end. Hovering Sombrero* - So far, I only think it's *okay*, but I know it'll grow on me. I love how Linnell rolls his "r"s. Yeh Yeh* - Very fun, catchy song, it would be even cooler if I could figure out what Flansy (out of the can) is saying. Hopeless Bleak Despair* - Demonstrates why John Linnell is the greatest songwriter of our time. His ability to wrap words is amazing. Filled with so much dry humor. Drink - A nice piece of sonwriting by John Flansburgh.I heard this at the Oberlin Concert in April, but I can actually figure out what he's saying this time. Amazingly, it stays in your head for a long time. My Man* - Sounds okay. It'll grow on me. Older - I am so sick of this song. But the rauchpfife is cool, being ever so slightly out of tune. Mink Car - "24 karat dead" is one of the best phrases ever. The song sounds so amazingly Burt Bacharach-ish it's a wonder he doesn't sue. My dad and I were laughing it sounds so much like ol' Burt. Wicked Little Critta (1/2*; I heard it once on the radio) - I love it, with the "Self Called Nowhere" accent, and accordion. But what the hell is "pissa"? and "dink"? and that sudden burst of drums? well, I love the end -- "I like him. I got problems." Finished With Lies* - Haven't listened to it enough to tell you. But I like the Rosh Hashanna sound. Ask me if you don't know what I'm talking about. She Thinks She's Edith Head - Not a bad new version, but I don't think it's worth going on the album, because they hardly changed the instrumentation. But I like the end. "Let's hear it." "I need a Bud (hug?)" "I can't hear you at all!" Working Undercover for the Man - Cool enough song, but I liked "Rest Awhile" and "I am a Human Head" better on the single. Did they change anything? All done. DRW ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <164.ef8924.28d5551f@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:06:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Jane REVIEW This CD received 4 Monkeys, which stands for "Excellent" I must add that when I previously said it was an "outstanding review," I meant that The Reviewer found that the CD was outstanding, not that the review itself was the most outstanding one I've ever read. I get the feeling the reviewer doesn't have all her "Post Flood Facts" correct. Not that it's the worst review I've seen... it at least doesn't call Them "Quirky." Anyway, here it is. "They Might Be Giants sure were sad for a while there. But two draggy death-themed albums and several solo projects later, Brooklynites John Linnell and John Flansburgh are back, happy and ready to save the world from the likes of O-Town and Linkin Park the same way they helped save us from Warrant and Paula Abdul a decade ago. Mink Car is as deft and beatuiful as the band's classic Flood, but this time around, let's hope someone figures out they might not be a joke band. - Kate Hambrecht" For comparison purposes, The Avalanches also received 4 monkeys, Jude and Jamiroquai received 3 apiece, and Macy Gray recieved 2. ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: Road to Avalon Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 19:36:31 -0400 Message-ID: <000401c13e3f$405ca640$6501a8c0@leesteel> The Avalon is directly across the street from Fenway Park. I hope that helps. You would get there the same as if you were going to a ball game. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Jenn Scagel Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 11:23 AM To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Road to Avalon My Outlook is all screwy, so I'm not sure if I'm sending this to the rigth list address! Let's hope so... I know I asked thislast year, and here I am again - anyone know how to take the T to the Avalon in Boston? I'm going to the Oct 30 show, and can't remember how to get there! I also extend my sympathies to anyone w/ friends/families/coworkers in NY and WA. Jenn ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Jane REVIEW Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:37:57 +0000 Message-ID: MsTanbul: >"They Might Be Giants sure were sad for a while there. But two draggy >death-themed albums and several solo projects later, Brooklynites John >Linnell and John Flansburgh are back, happy and ready to save the world >from >the likes of O-Town and Linkin Park the same way they helped save us from >Warrant and Paula Abdul a decade ago. Which two "draggy death-themed albums" are these? Since Flood is mentioned in the next sentence, does this mean that the author thought there were only two TMBG albums in between Flood and Mink Car? John Henry is almost certainly one of these, but is the other Apollo 18 or Factory Showroom? (I doubt it's Severe Tire Damage or Long Tall Weekend.) Which songs on each of the main post-Flood albums are "death-themed"? Apollo 18: Dig My Grave, I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, Turn Around, the "I'm having a heart attack" Fingertip John Henry: Subliminal, Sleeping In The Flowers, Meet James Ensor, Stomp Box, possibly The End Of The Tour Factory Showroom: Till My Head Falls Off, Exquisite Dead Guy There are a few others that you might be able to interpret as death-themed, and a few minor death-related lines in other songs ("Step on Spider!", "precious few have mourned the passing of Mr. James K. Polk"), but I doubt the reviewer had these in mind. Therefore, it's most likely that she forgot FS. I wonder why. >Mink Car is as deft and beatuiful as >the band's classic Flood, but this time around, let's hope someone figures >out they might not be a joke band. While I agree with the sentiment, I don't why people would get more of a "joke band" impression from Flood than from Mink Car. "I've Got A Fang," for instance, is "jokier" than anything on Flood. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: RE: TMBG: Jane REVIEW Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:42:43 -0400 Nathan wrote: >Mink Car is as deft and beatuiful as >the band's classic Flood, but this time around, let's hope someone figures >out they might not be a joke band. While I agree with the sentiment, I don't why people would get more of a "joke band" impression from Flood than from Mink Car. "I've Got A Fang," for instance, is "jokier" than anything on Flood. ****************** Well, Flood had Particle Man, of course, which got a lot of airplay as a "novelty" song. There was also Minimum Wage, Theme From Flood, and in general the whole tone of the album was kind of goofy (at least on the surface) Flood was my first album, after becoming enraptured with Particle Man which I heard on Dr. Demento, and I remember enjoying it because the songs (at first) seemed light-hearted and pretty nonsensical. If I hadn't bought more of their stuff, I may have dismissed them too. Instead, I now own most everything they've recorded, and have collected a fair amount of bootlegs and rare stuff - so hooray for me that I took them seriously! I'm better off for it now. Amy :) ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <141.1b4da4e.28d6ca38@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 23:38:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Dr Worm mentioned on SG: CTC Ok, so I was watching Space Ghost: Coast To Coast, and Space Ghost asked Willie Nelson who made some stupid quote. Space Ghost then said "No, the answer is Doctor Worm." SG then went to talk to Doctor Worm about "the merger". I'll try to have sound/video clips up soon. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <128.4ab387a.28d6d34f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:17:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr Worm mentioned on SG: CTC In a message dated 9/16/01 11:39:04 PM, PRMega@aol.com writes: >Ok, so I was watching Space Ghost: Coast To Coast, and Space Ghost asked > >Willie Nelson who made some stupid quote. Space Ghost then said "No, the > >answer is Doctor Worm." SG then went to talk to Doctor Worm about "the > >merger". I'll try to have sound/video clips up soon. > haha! i saw that. i fell asleep during spacelab 2021, but i heard space say "dr. worm" and i awoke with a "whaaa?" ... hey, has that episode of flansburgh *ever* aired? sarah http://glimmer.org/sarah/ "gotta find a new place to hang out 'cos i'm tired of living in hell" -- tmbg ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #45-17 ******************************