Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #45-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 45, Number 19 Wednesday, 19 September 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Giants in the UK - more details... Re: TMBG: A simple question of those in T.O. TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: Minkless in the UK Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: TMBG Singles Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: TMBG Singles Re: TMBG: TMBG Singles Re: TMBG: TMBG Singles Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: TMBG singles / "Later: The Slightly Less Early Years" TMBG: Er, whoops... TMBG: Hidden tracks on MC Re: TMBG: TMBG singles / "Later: The Slightly Less Early Years" Re: TMBG: Hidden tracks on MC Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review TMBG: My startling predictions ... Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? TMBG: TMBG show in Iowa Re: TMBG: TMBG show in Iowa RE: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <001301c14035$c19fbc40$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:33:36 -0400 http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/they-might-be-giants/mink-car .shtml Pretty harsh...I don't agree with it, though; I warmed up to it alot after my first listen. And these are the same guys who gave the flamin lips's 4 cd masterpiece Zaireeka a 0.0 just because they couldn't figure out how to play it. Ah well. -Charlie Miller http://flipse.com/dirky/ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:36:32 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Giants in the UK - more details... Back in the office after a day wandering round Oxford for the day and find TMBG are touring the UK - again! Are these the only dates! Interestingly both dates are in the north of the UK - no London date? More interestingly (for me at least) is that one date is just before my birthday and the other just after. I think I've found my birthday treat for this year. A TMBG concert, a weekend walking, a birthday, a TMBG concert! Richard >>> Alex Ingram 17/09/01 17:59:27 >>> Right, further from the mere dates and venues, I've found the times and the place to get tickets... doesn't look too pricey either :) Anyway, tickets work out at 12.50 UKP for either show. Book tickets at: http://www.ticketline.co.uk/ Anyone coming? ^_^ I've half a mind to just buy a ticket for Manchester right now, but I've got no-one to go with at the moment and no idea as to where I can/should stay in Manchester etc... Hmm, long term planning... Anyway, here's all the details from the web site: They Might Be Giants Manchester University 24 Nov 2001 24 Nov 2001 at 19:30 Type Ticket Price With Booking Fee Postage General Admission #11.00 #12.50 #0.00 Manchester University Oxford Road Manchester Manchester M13 9PR Tel: 0161 275 2930 Fax: N/A Email: Coming soon Website: http://www.umu.man.ac.uk Description: There are two venues within the University. The Hop & Grape is a small all standing live music venue, whilst the Main Debating Hall is also all standing, but twice the size of the Hop & Grape. There are occasional seated events at these venues. Directions: Approx. 1 mile from the city centre, heading towards Rusholme. Nearest train station Oxford Road. Notes: Parking: Limited parking at the rear of the venue. Public Transport: The University is situated on a main bus route into the city centre, with easy access to rail and tram facilities. Anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Anyone between the ages of 16 and 18 must stay away from the bar area when attending concerts at either of these venues. They Might Be Giants Liverpool University 27 Nov 2001 27 Nov 2001 at 19:30 Type Ticket Price With Booking Fee Postage Standing #11.00 #12.50 #0.00 Liverpool University Mountford hall Mount Pleasant Liverpool L69 7BR Tel: 0151 709 9108 Fax: N/A Email: Coming soon. Website: Coming soon. Description: Small fully standing live music venue. Directions: Head for city centre, and follow the signposts. Notes: Parking: There is an N.C.P. car park in Mount Pleasant. Public Transport: There are buses that go to Mount Pleasant from the city centre. -- alex @ nuttyxander.co.uk --- "If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you!" Who am I ? => http://www.nuttyxander.co.uk/aboutme.html -- alex @ nuttyxander.co.uk --- "If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you!" Who am I ? => http://www.nuttyxander.co.uk/aboutme.html _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010918114115.39265.qmail@web13801.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 04:41:15 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Cowley Subject: Re: TMBG: A simple question of those in T.O. Fellow Torontonian, I have had no luck as well. I tried all of the big music stores downtown already. HMV said it was released in the States but they didn't order any but could if I wanted to. Sams didn't even have a listing for it. Nice to see some things never change when it comes to a TMBG release in Canada! Robbie ===== "It's Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!" __________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:54:26 -0400 Message-Id: <200109180754.AA325386554@megahits.com> From: "lees" Subject: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/they-might-be-giants/mink-car.shtml A very disappointing review indead. Personally I like Mink Car but let's face it. I have been a die hard for 17+ years. I have said it before and I will suggest it once again. The Johns need to woodshed, get back to their roots (band or no band, "power to the Dans") and write some new material without leaking it to the public. Then when the next album comes out we will all be completely surprised. Just like the old days when you waited a year or two to see what was going to come next. The Johns have been bitten by the "high tech" that once made them fameous and have become way to anxious to preview their latest material at the show. Any of us who closely follow the band know that several of the songs on Mink Car have been played live into the ground at the shows and of course when so many diversified tastes hear a particular song played 6 different ways, everyone is going to gravitate to one version or the other. Hope to see you all at Toads 10/30 in support of this chapter in TMBG history. Lee Steel ------------------------------ From: "- -" Subject: TMBG: Minkless in the UK Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:55:49 +0000 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200109181443.JAA04411@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:43:52 -0500 (EST) Lee Steel writes: > [TMBG] have become way to anxious to preview their latest material > at the show. I don't know that they are eager to *preview* material at shows. I think that once they started playing with the live band, they saw how songs can sometimes take on dimensions live that they had not anticipated. I know they have said that they prefer the way they play some songs in concert (e.g., She's Actual Size, I think) to the way they had previously recorded them. Because of this, I think that their strategy is to make sure that the songs are fully "matured" through live performance before they make a permanent record of them. > [...] several of the songs on Mink Car have been played live into > the ground at the shows and of course when so many diversified tastes > hear a particular song played 6 different ways, everyone is going > to gravitate to one version or the other. True, you make a good point. At the same time, it was fascinating to watch the evolution in concert of some of the songs on John Henry and Factory Showroom. And you can't say that there were no surprises on those two records, even if you had heard much of them previously in concert. Even the roadworn classic Older has gotten spiced up on Mink Car. OTOH, I heartily agree that it would be more satisfying if they were to keep the finished *recordings* of new album songs under wraps, instead of distributing them as MP3s. I enjoy hearing rough demos and DAS versions of songs before the album is out, but I wish they wouldn't publish the final tracks just to fill out their emusic quota. Not that we will even have that to complain about soon... m@t ------------------------------ From: "jon jenkins" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Singles Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:25:40 -0400 Message-ID: Since TMBG has yet to make a "greatest hits" CD, or singles compalation, i'm going to make my own, but i may need some help. This is the list I have so far. If i'm missing any singles, or songs that weren't released as CD singles but were technically singles as far as radio play is concerned, just lemme know. I really only got into TMBG 4 years ago, so i'm not too familar with their single/radio play histroy prior to 1997. Wow, that sounds like such a long time ago...9th grade...ahh. well, anyway, thanks in advance. jon _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:26:52 +0000 Message-ID: Charlie Miller: >Pretty harsh...I don't agree with it, though; I warmed up to it alot after >my first listen. And these are the same guys who gave the flamin lips's 4 >cd masterpiece Zaireeka a 0.0 just because they couldn't figure out how to >play it. Um, is there a special way to play it, or was this a case of "Duh, what's this play button do?"? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:36:34 +0000 Message-ID: Matthew Coon: > > [...] several of the songs on Mink Car have been played live into > > the ground at the shows and of course when so many diversified tastes > > hear a particular song played 6 different ways, everyone is going > > to gravitate to one version or the other. > >True, you make a good point. At the same time, it was fascinating >to watch the evolution in concert of some of the songs on John Henry >and Factory Showroom. And you can't say that there were no surprises >on those two records, even if you had heard much of them previously in >concert. Well, "Hopeless Bleak Despair" was a surprise. There were also some surprises within songs that were already released, but whether these were PLEASANT surprises is up to you to decide. >OTOH, I heartily agree that it would be more satisfying if they were to >keep the finished *recordings* of new album songs under wraps, instead >of distributing them as MP3s. Not only MP3 (although that's the main culprit), but also the analog Dial-A-Song. I know the finished versions of "Hovering Sombrero" and "Finished With Lies" were played on there. Remember when DAS versions sounded nothing like the album recordings? Okay, neither do I, but I've HEARD most of the ones like that. >I enjoy hearing rough demos and DAS versions >of songs before the album is out, but I wish they wouldn't publish the >final tracks just to fill out their emusic quota. Like they don't have enough material to fill it otherwise. But that's a rant we've all seen twenty thousand million times before. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "jon jenkins" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Singles Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:39:10 -0400 Message-ID: (I think i already sent this message to the list, minus the list. If I did, sorry.) Since TMBG has yet to make a "greatest hits" CD, or singles compalation, i'm going to make my own, but i may need some help. This is the list I have so far. If i'm missing any singles, or songs that weren't released as CD singles but were technically singles as far as radio play is concerned, just lemme know. I really only got into TMBG 4 years ago, so i'm not too familar with their single/radio play histroy prior to 1997. Wow, that sounds like such a long time ago...9th grade...ahh. But anyway, here's the list: Puppet Head Dont let's start she's an angel (?) hotel detective ana ng purple toupee they'll need a crane istanbul birdhouse twisting Particle man (?) Racist Friend (?) Hey Mr DJ (From misc. t someone told me it was a single at the time) I palindrome i the guitar statue got me high why does the sun shine? (from the 9-93 single release would that count?) O Tannenbaum/Christmas Cards single, (12-93) Snail Shell Sleeping in the Flowers AKA Driver Subliminal (?) Spy (?) Sexxy NYC (?) Till my head falls off (?) Doctor Worm from What we did this summer - cyclops rock Dr. Evil from LTW - edith head (?) older (?) Workin undercover emusic single Boss of Me Man, it's so loud in here cyclops rock (maybe...) bangs (maybe...) Mr Xcitment (maybe...) well that's what i have. lemme know what you think or if you even care! haha, back to studying for that damn astronomy test... jon _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Singles Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:43:50 +0000 Message-ID: Jon Jenkins: >Since TMBG has yet to make a "greatest hits" CD, or singles compalation, >i'm >going to make my own, but i may need some help. > >This is the list I have so far. Funny, I don't SEE a list. I'll be glad to start one for you, though. You could probably find all of this in the discography at tmbg.org, but I like making unnecessary lists from memory, so... Everything Right Is Wrong Again (demo version) Don't Let's Start (single mix) (She Was A) Hotel Detective (single mix) Ana Ng Purple Toupee They'll Need A Crane Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Your Racist Friend Twisting I Palindrome I The Statue Got Me High The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) Why Does The Sun Shine? Snail Shell Sleeping In The Flowers AKA Driver S-E-X-X-Y Doctor Worm Working Undercover For The Man Boss Of Me Man, It's So Loud In Here I think "Bangs" might also be released as a single in the near future. "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" was a video, but never a single, as far as I know, so whether or not you want to include it is up to you. (Personally, I think it deserved to be a single more than "Hotel Detective," but that's just me.) >If i'm missing any singles, or songs that >weren't released as CD singles but were technically singles as far as radio >play is concerned, just lemme know. Well, it's sometimes hard to judge with radio promos. I know people have reported hearing "Mr. Xcitement" and "I've Got A Fang" on the radio, but I think these were just general promo tracks, not really "singles" as such. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Singles Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:52:14 +0000 Message-ID: Jon Jenkins: >But anyway, here's the list: > >Puppet Head Actually, I think this was the only video song that wasn't released as a single. >Dont let's start >she's an angel (?) Nope. Not as far as I know, anyway. >hotel detective > >ana ng >purple toupee >they'll need a crane > >istanbul >birdhouse >twisting >Particle man (?) No >Racist Friend (?) Yes >Hey Mr DJ (From misc. t someone told me it was a single at the time) Yes, it was. >I palindrome i >the guitar >statue got me high > >why does the sun shine? (from the 9-93 single release would that count?) I'd say it would. >O Tannenbaum/Christmas Cards single, (12-93) I'm not so sure about this one, though. >Snail Shell >Sleeping in the Flowers >AKA Driver >Subliminal (?) >Spy (?) "Subliminal" was never a single. "Spy" was only a B-side. >Sexxy >NYC (?) >Till my head falls off (?) "S-E-X-X-Y" was the only single from Factory Showroom. I think "Till My Head Falls Off" would have been the second single if Elektra had allowed it, though. You might want to include it, so that FS isn't under-represented on your compilation. (Then again, that album was OVER-represented on Severe Tire Damage, so...) >Doctor Worm > >from What we did this summer - cyclops rock > >Dr. Evil I don't think you can really count these as "singles." They were simply tracks on a general promo. >from LTW - edith head (?) > older (?) I don't think you can really say LTW had any singles. >Workin undercover emusic single > >Boss of Me > >Man, it's so loud in here >cyclops rock (maybe...) >bangs (maybe...) >Mr Xcitment (maybe...) Maybe you should hold off on making it until they've released all of the Mink Car singles. I'm pretty sure "Bangs" is planned as the next single, though. See my list for some other possible additions. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:57:15 -0400 Message-Id: <200109181157.AA499187948@megahits.com> From: "lees" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review I agree, songs do mature as they are performed live but guess what, that's what fuels the fire to produce a live album and enjoy the songs all over again. I am a musician, I have played professionally for 25 years. Yes, I am old school but bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper and Peter Frampton all made billions off of doing the studio recording, keeping the songs under wraps, releasing albums, and then a follow up live album at some later time with the best of the "mature" material. I get a feeling that the Johns seek the approval of their fan base lately by airing the current "songs in progress" publiclly to see what the fan feedback is going to be. Again, I love Mink Car but I love everything they do. After hearing most of this stuff way too much though, I am having a lot more fun listening to the latest Unlimited release. I really wish they would have just put out an album with the title cut Mink Car, Wicked Little Critter, Bangs, the battle of the band songs, and a few other brand new songs like those and released Older and Loud In Here as Unlimited bonus versions of previously released material. The Unlimited material is a lot more like the old days when the album contained many styles that didn't necessarily sound like they fit into some mold. That is the format keeps the first two albums in my CD changer for eternity. Lee ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:36:34 +0000 >Matthew Coon: >> > [...] several of the songs on Mink Car have been played live into >> > the ground at the shows and of course when so many diversified tastes >> > hear a particular song played 6 different ways, everyone is going >> > to gravitate to one version or the other. >> >>True, you make a good point. At the same time, it was fascinating >>to watch the evolution in concert of some of the songs on John Henry >>and Factory Showroom. And you can't say that there were no surprises >>on those two records, even if you had heard much of them previously in >>concert. > >Well, "Hopeless Bleak Despair" was a surprise. There were also some >surprises within songs that were already released, but whether these were >PLEASANT surprises is up to you to decide. > >>OTOH, I heartily agree that it would be more satisfying if they were to >>keep the finished *recordings* of new album songs under wraps, instead >>of distributing them as MP3s. > >Not only MP3 (although that's the main culprit), but also the analog >Dial-A-Song. I know the finished versions of "Hovering Sombrero" and >"Finished With Lies" were played on there. Remember when DAS versions >sounded nothing like the album recordings? Okay, neither do I, but I've >HEARD most of the ones like that. > >>I enjoy hearing rough demos and DAS versions >>of songs before the album is out, but I wish they wouldn't publish the >>final tracks just to fill out their emusic quota. > >Like they don't have enough material to fill it otherwise. But that's a >rant we've all seen twenty thousand million times before. >-- >May the light shine upon thee, >Nathan >DinnerBell@tmbg.org >http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20010919022410.007d0e80@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:24:10 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: TMBG singles / "Later: The Slightly Less Early Years" Here's the list for my CD. Note that I included solo singles as well, and that many of the singles sound a bit different to those on the albums. 01. Man, It's So Loud In Here (Single Mix) 02. Boss Of Me (Single Edit) 03. Montana 04. Doctor Worm 05. S-E-X-X-Y (Radio Mix) 06. The Devil Went Down To Newport (Totally Rocking) 07. AKA Driver (Radio Edit) 08. Sleeping In The Flowers (Radio Edit) 09. Snail Shell 10. O Tannenbaum 11. Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescant gas) 12. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) 13. I Palindrome I 14. The Statue Got Me High 15. Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal 16. Twisting 17. Your Racist Friend 18. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) 19. Birdhouse In Your Soul 20. Purple Toupee 21. Ana Ng 22. They'll Need A Crane 23. (She Was A) Hotel Detective (Single Mix) 24. Don't Let's Start (Single Mix) 25. Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head Personally, I don't think you can count Working Undercover For The Man, because it is just the title track of an EP. I also think Puppet Head has a right to be there because the Johns HAVE refered to it as their first single (it was the A-side of the flexidisc). The 25 tracks listed above are about 70 mins. === A while ago I started to list the tracks for an Elektra sequel to "Then" featuring Flood and Apollo 18. Anyone want to make this? DISC ONE FLOOD 1. Theme From Flood 2. Birdhouse In Your Soul 3. Lucky Ball & Chain 4. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) 5. Dead 6. Your Racist Friend 7. Particle Man 8. Twisting 9. We Want A Rock 10. Someone Keeps Moving My Chair 11. Hearing Aid 12. Minimum Wage 13. Letterbox 14. Whistling In The Dark 15. Hot Cha 16. Women & Men 17. Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love 18. They Might Be Giants 19. Road Movie To Berlin (43:24) EP B-SIDES 20. James K. Polk 3:16 46:40 21. Stormy Pinkness 1:08 47:48 22. Ant 1:52 49:40 23. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Brownsville Mix) 5:15 54:55 24. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Bedford/Stuyvesant Mix) 2:30 57:25 25. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (Park Slope Mix) 2:45 60:10 26. Your Racist Friend (Sampla-Delic Remix) 3:48 63:58 BONUS TRACKS I'll let you argue over these; I would want "Gas Mask" and "Jukebox" at least! DISC TWO APOLLO 18 1. Dig My Grave 2. I Palindrome I 3. She's Actual Size 4. My Evil Twin 5. Mammal 6. The Statue Got Me High 7. Spider 8. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) 9. Dinner Bell 10. Narrow Your Eyes 11. Hall Of Heads 12. Which Describes How You're Feeling 13. See The Constellation 14. If I Wasn't Shy 15. Turn Around 16. Hypnotist Of Ladies 17. Fingertips 38. Space Suit (43:17) EP B-SIDES 39. The Guitar (Williamsburgh Mix) 4:12 47:29 40. The Guitar (Outer Planet Mix) 6:38 54:07 41. Welcome To The Jungle 2:26 56:33 42. I Blame You 1:51 58:24 43. Moving To The Sun 2:14 60:38 --. The Guitar (Even Further Outer Planet Mix) 6:38 ah, no one wants this. 44. Cabbagetown 2:51 63:29 45. Siftin' 2:32 66:01 46. Larger Than Life 4:17 70:18 BONUS TRACKS Again, open to list discussion, but I think the Modjeska Theater performance of "Famous Polka" should be here, as well as "Integrity Project" and the "Windchime Fingertip" from the Apollo 18 promo video. Okay, I'm going away for two weeks and when I get back, in addition to 1000 e-mails, I want you all to have decided on the "Later" tracklist! - Ryan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20010919022636.007da8f0@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:26:36 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Er, whoops... >Everything Right Is Wrong Again (demo version) You're right, this was the A-side of the flexidisc. But Puppet Head should still be on there because YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT. - Ryan ------------------------------ From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:33:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hidden tracks on MC Greetings, comrades. I'm sorry if you've already discussed this, but with recent events I 've not been able to pay much attention to the list. So, I've heard some stuff about hidden tracks on MC. Just wondered if this was true and if so, how to access them. Sorry, and thanks. ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community "I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Ryan Mooney: >Personally, I don't think you can count Working Undercover For The Man, >because it is just the title track of an EP. Isn't that true of some of the others, too? Or was every other EP A-side released as a radio promo single as well? >A while ago I started to list the tracks for an Elektra sequel to "Then" >featuring Flood and Apollo 18. Anyone want to make this? > >DISC ONE >BONUS TRACKS > >I'll let you argue over these; I would want "Gas Mask" and "Jukebox" at >least! Is "Gas Mask" that old? Even if it isn't, you could probably use the fact that the schoolchildren singing "Particle Man" was on Then, even though the original song was on Flood. Does anyone know what Dial-A-Songs were played during this era? I have the Power of Dial-A-Song compilation, but it doesn't really give a sense as to when anything was actually recorded. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 12:42:38 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8IGgci19922 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:42:38 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f109.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.109]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8IGgcN19914 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:42:38 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:42:32 -0700 Received: from 64.192.26.1 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:42:32 GMT X-Originating-IP: [64.192.26.1] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden tracks on MC Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:42:32 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Sep 2001 16:42:32.0839 (UTC) FILETIME=[E9E79170:01C14060] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" MST3Kenobi: >Greetings, comrades. I'm sorry if you've already discussed this, but with >recent events I 've not been able to pay much attention to the list. So, >I've heard some stuff about hidden tracks on MC. Just wondered if this was >true and if so, how to access them. Seriously, though, I think it's been pretty well confirmed that there aren't any. >Sorry, and thanks. That's okay, and you're welcome. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 16:19:05 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8IKJ5o31400 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:19:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us (fn3.tfn.net [150.176.31.250]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8IKJ4N31392 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:19:04 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from dmccaleb@fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us) Received: from localhost (dmccaleb@localhost) by fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us (8.8.8/8.6.9) with ESMTP id QAA19222; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:52:42 -0400 (EDT) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:52:42 -0400 (EDT) From: David Mccaleb To: Nathan Mulac DeHoff cc: Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review In-Reply-To: Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: David Mccaleb > Um, is there a special way to play it, or was this a case of "Duh, what's > this play button do?"? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > Zaireeka was different bgecause it was a box set of 4 cds which could be played 1 at a time, 2 at a time, 3 at a time, or 4 at a time. Changing treble, pitch, etc. gives an endless combination of sounds. I don't have it, so I dont know what the bsest way to play it is, but I have heard it and its amazing. Like everyone else, I love mink car(the cd that is), but hate mr. xcitement. And I like soul coughing too... on an unrelated topic, is there anwhere to get the Power of Dial-a-Song compilation these days? david From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 17:27:33 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8ILRX835480 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:27:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f155.pav2.hotmail.com [64.4.37.155]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8ILRWN35470 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:27:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from jenkijon383@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:27:23 -0700 Received: from 66.71.33.177 by pv2fd.pav2.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:27:23 GMT X-Originating-IP: [66.71.33.177] From: "jon jenkins" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:27:23 -0400 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Sep 2001 21:27:23.0846 (UTC) FILETIME=[B4F04660:01C14088] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "jon jenkins" I think a good deal, if not majority, of the people on this mailing list would agree that Flood is by far the best they might be giants album. (You can't NOT sing along to any song on that CD...it's just classic) Why then do critics tend to hail Lincoln and the self-titled album as if they are masterpieces and point to Flood as the beginning of their decline? I'm not saying that their first two albums are bad, but i certailny think Flood deserves as much, if not more, credit and praise as they get. And what's YOUR favorite TMBG album? This question almost always starts a semi-feud between John Henry supporters and pre-elektra die-hards...hehe later on, jon, posting a record 3 times in one day. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 17:49:50 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8ILnoi37123 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:49:50 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from web13806.mail.yahoo.com (web13806.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.175.16]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f8ILnnN37115 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:49:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from eljackasso@yahoo.com) Message-ID: <20010918214948.98356.qmail@web13806.mail.yahoo.com> Received: from [216.7.195.58] by web13806.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:49:48 PDT Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:49:48 -0700 (PDT) From: Rob Cowley Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? To: jon jenkins , tmbg-list@tmbg.org In-Reply-To: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Rob Cowley First off, my favorite would be John Henry and Lincoln. I've tried to pick one, alas I cannot. I think the Flood thing is ridiculous. I love Flood and I don't see how anybody could see it as the part of any decline. I think because it is the album that brought a lot of fans on board and because it contains some songs that for a long time were the songs that people knew TMBG for, people like to dismiss it because it's too well known and instead point to the releases fewer people know of as being their best. I think it's a backlash towards the mainstream audiences that may know of Flood and only Flood. As for my picks as favorites, Lincoln and John Henry are the two albums I've always thought were the most complete and solid track for track as complete and incredible albums. Granted there's few albums of They that I don't like. I have to admit Mink Car isn't in the top 5. Rob ===== "It's Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!" __________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 18:34:32 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8IMYWP40100 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:34:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r02.mx.aol.com (imo-r02.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.98]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8IMYWN40092 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:34:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from LimeZinger@aol.com) Received: from LimeZinger@aol.com by imo-r02.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.13f.1a3deac (16784) for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:34:25 -0400 (EDT) From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <13f.1a3deac.28d925f0@aol.com> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:34:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Mac sub 28 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: LimeZinger@aol.com In a message dated 9/18/01 5:28:11 PM, jenkijon383@hotmail.com writes: >I think a good deal, if not majority, of the people on this mailing list > >would agree that Flood is by far the best they might be giants album. i think it's a matter of opinion, and i also think that no one single album would be agreed on as "by far the best" by everyone. although, if you're talking about slick, commercialized, best sold.. then yeah, people would probably say 'flood'. as for favourite.. i think that'd be a very random outcome. sarah http://glimmer.org/sarah/ "i'm not going to fire a $2 million dollar missile at a $10 tent just to hit some camel in the butt." -- george w. bush From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 18:56:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8IMu7O41420 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:56:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imf10bis.bellsouth.net (mail010.mail.bellsouth.net [205.152.58.30]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8IMu6N41412 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:56:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from dirky1@bellsouth.net) Received: from charlie ([65.80.53.23]) by imf10bis.bellsouth.net (InterMail vM.5.01.01.01 201-252-104) with SMTP id <20010918225656.WPKV16661.imf10bis.bellsouth.net@charlie>; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:56:56 -0400 Message-ID: <001501c14095$19382820$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> From: "Charlie Miller" To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" , References: Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:56:04 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Charlie Miller" Its a four cd album where all four cds are played in four different cd players at the same time. Its an experience like none other! -Charlie Miller > Um, is there a special way to play it, or was this a case of "Duh, what's > this play button do?"? From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 19:14:42 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8INEgJ42545 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:14:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f127.pav2.hotmail.com [64.4.37.127]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8INEfN42537 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:14:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from jenkijon383@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:14:36 -0700 Received: from 66.71.33.177 by pv2fd.pav2.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:14:36 GMT X-Originating-IP: [66.71.33.177] From: "jon jenkins" To: eljackasso@yahoo.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:14:36 -0400 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Sep 2001 23:14:36.0232 (UTC) FILETIME=[AEF07C80:01C14097] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "jon jenkins" >Granted there's >few albums of They that I don't like. I have to >admit Mink Car isn't in the top 5. > Hehe, well when they only have 7 (or maybe up to 10 if you could std, misc t, LTW) albums, that's not bad at all! Jon _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 19:46:01 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8INk1E44492 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:46:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f142.law8.hotmail.com [216.33.241.142]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8INk0N44481 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:46:00 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from aceduke@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:45:55 -0700 Received: from 24.4.116.242 by lw8fd.law8.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:45:54 GMT X-Originating-IP: [24.4.116.242] From: "John Ferrer" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:45:54 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 18 Sep 2001 23:45:55.0211 (UTC) FILETIME=[0EE5EDB0:01C1409C] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "John Ferrer" "Even with 1996's admittedly spotty Factory Showroom, the boys managed to make their music concurrently smart, goofy, geeky, and insanely catchy, in spite of a guest appearance by Neutral Milk Hotel's Julian Koster. Don't think you can hide from me, Julian." Jesus! I didn't know what he was talking about, so I hunted around, and Julian Koster, master of the musical saw, plays on "James K. Polk." I have no idea how I never knew that, but it's the most exciting TMBG news I've heard in quite a while, even if it is several years old. Anyways, I have yet to read a bad review I agree with. I'm still not very fond of the album as a whole, but I seem to dislike it for different reasons than everyone else who doesn't like it. I don't understand the sell-out argument, as if they did this album to cash in on their newfound success with Boss of Me. I think it's their least accessible album yet. It could really confuse your average radio buff. I also can't begin to understand the aggression towards "Mr. Xcitement" and "Wicked Little Critta." I think they've become my favorite songs, because they have more staying power. Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but I've seen so many people immediately list those two as the worst ones. Oh well. I think as soon as I get my EMusic copy and listen to it in higher quality a few times through, I'm going to post another full review to show myself and anyone who'll care to read how my opinion has changed over time, because oh god, has it ever. Oh, and by the way, what the hell is wrong with the Presidents of the United States of America? I think they're the most unfairly stepped-on band in recent history. Chris Ballew is one of the most talented guys to ever walk the earth, and his two solo albums (using the name the Giraffes) and the new PUSA album are TMBG-worthy, even though they all went completely under the radar (intentionally). Besides, "Wicked Little Critta" sounds NOTHING like them. >From: "Charlie Miller" >Reply-To: "Charlie Miller" >To: >Subject: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review >Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:33:36 -0400 > >http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/t/they-might-be-giants/mink-car.shtml > >Pretty harsh...I don't agree with it, though; I warmed up to it alot after >my first listen. And these are the same guys who gave the flamin lips's 4 >cd masterpiece Zaireeka a 0.0 just because they couldn't figure out how to >play it. Ah well. > >-Charlie Miller >http://flipse.com/dirky/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 20:18:35 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J0IZT46377 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:18:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from omni.cc.purdue.edu (omni.cc.purdue.edu [128.210.10.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J0IYN46369 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:18:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu) Received: (from coon@localhost) by omni.cc.purdue.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) id TAA28766 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:18:34 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200109190018.TAA28766@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Pitchfork Mink Car Review To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:18:34 -0500 (EST) In-Reply-To: <200109181157.AA499187948@megahits.com> from "lees" at Sep 18, 2001 11:57:15 am X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Matthew Coon Lee writes: > > I agree, songs do mature as they are performed live but guess what, > that's what fuels the fire to produce a live album and enjoy the songs > all over again. I'm not trying to start a long, argumentative thread here. I just want to clarify that my previous message is not *my* opinion of how things should be. It is my inference about where TMBG are coming from, based on my interpretation of statements they have made in a number of interviews which imply that they like to thoroughly "road test" some songs before they commit to putting a final version on an album. I guess I see that as different than seeking approval, per se. > I really wish they would have just put out an album with the title cut > [...] and a few other brand new songs like those and released Older and > Loud In Here as Unlimited bonus versions of previously released material. At least they didn't give us yet another studio recording of the stage version of Spy! There's a song that is amusing live, but really deserved something different as an album track. m@t From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 20:29:37 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J0Tbv47062 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:29:37 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m01.mx.aol.com (imo-m01.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.4]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J0TaN47053 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:29:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Gegatron@aol.com) Received: from Gegatron@aol.com by imo-m01.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.14c.133aa35 (3984) for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:29:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <14c.133aa35.28d940e7@aol.com> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:29:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: My startling predictions ... To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Mac sub 28 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Gegatron@aol.com I predict that... yes it's coming to me... yes... that I've got a Fang will usurp the roll Spy once played in live shows. Spy is memorable for it's kick ass bass line and the improv session at the end of the song. I've got a Fang also has a driving kick ass bass line and as the studio recording hints, there is a place in the middle of the song that a long improv session could be placed (plus i'd like to add that i like fang on a whole much better than spy). From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 20:32:36 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J0WaB47330 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:32:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from omni.cc.purdue.edu (omni.cc.purdue.edu [128.210.10.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J0WZN47318 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:32:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu) Received: (from coon@localhost) by omni.cc.purdue.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) id TAA29123 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:32:35 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200109190032.TAA29123@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg) Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:32:35 -0500 (EST) In-Reply-To: <20010918214948.98356.qmail@web13806.mail.yahoo.com> from "Rob Cowley" at Sep 18, 2001 02:49:48 pm X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Matthew Coon Rob Cowley writes: > > I love Flood and I don't see how anybody could > see it as the part of any decline. I think because > it is the album that brought a lot of fans on board [that] > people like to dismiss it because it's too well known Well, when Flood came out, it was by far my least favorite TMBG album (of the three). In fact, I didn't like it much. I love it now, but it took *years* for me to warm up to it. This was before I could have known that it would be their most popular or best known album. And I should add that, as a fan of TMBG, I wish them the best. I would be delighted if good TMBG material would capture the attention of the masses, and I could simply turn on top40 radio to hear the latest TMBG tune. I would be happy for them to have the chance to be voted onto TRL and hang out with Mandy Moore and Carson ("I'm an enormous tool") Daly in front of a crowd of screaming teenage girls. Go TMBG! m@t From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 20:50:40 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J0oeL48354 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:50:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f75.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.75]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J0odN48340 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:50:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:50:34 -0700 Received: from 65.229.124.15 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:50:33 GMT X-Originating-IP: [65.229.124.15] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:50:33 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Sep 2001 00:50:34.0062 (UTC) FILETIME=[16DF9EE0:01C140A5] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Jon Jenkins: >I think a good deal, if not majority, of the people on this mailing list >would agree that Flood is by far the best they might be giants album. I doubt it. Not only is that a matter of opinion, but a lot of fans seem to feel resentment toward Flood for being the most popular TMBG album. Personally, I think Flood is a very average album. That's only when compared to other TMBG albums, though. I love almost every song on it, but I love almost every song recorded by TMBG, and, as far as TMBG songs go, most of the tracks on Flood are neither really good nor really bad. >(You can't NOT sing along to any song on that CD...it's just classic) Being able to sing along to a song doesn't necessarily make it great. Then again, some of my least favorite TMBG songs are the ones I can't sing along to, like "I'm Def." >Why then do critics tend to hail Lincoln and the self-titled album as if >they are masterpieces and point to Flood as the beginning of their decline? >I'm not saying that their first two albums are bad, but i certailny think >Flood deserves as much, if not more, credit and praise as they get. I like Lincoln better than Flood, personally. That's just me, though. Flood certainly has more production value than either of the first two albums, which could be either a good or a bad thing, depending on whom you ask. >And what's YOUR favorite TMBG album? This question almost always starts a >semi-feud between John Henry supporters and pre-elektra die-hards...hehe My official answer to this question is always Lincoln, although it's probably actually whatever I'm listening at the time (unless what I'm listening to at the time isn't doing anything for me, in which case it's whatever sounds least like that). Apollo 18 and John Henry also appear in my personal Top Three. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ And, in answer to your question in the subject line, yes. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 21:08:24 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J18O249326 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:08:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from femail42.sdc1.sfba.home.com ([24.254.60.36]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J18NN49318 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:08:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from itsfuntosteal@home.com) Received: from c128776a ([65.3.242.47]) by femail42.sdc1.sfba.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.20 201-229-121-120-20010223) with SMTP id <20010919010816.TKXF28813.femail42.sdc1.sfba.home.com@c128776a> for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:08:16 -0700 Message-ID: <001201c13fde$12008c80$2ff20341@moline1.il.home.com> From: "Jackie York" To: Subject: TMBG: TMBG show in Iowa Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:05:55 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000F_01C13FB4.28EF0220" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jackie York" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C13FB4.28EF0220 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, is anyone going to the Iowa City show? And/or know anything about = the University of Iowa such as where IMU-Main Lounge would be? I just = know I'm going to get lost. It'll be my first TMBG show. I've always had = reserved seats for concerts, so general admission is new to me also. Any = suggestions? Thanks. Jackie ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C13FB4.28EF0220 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Hi, is anyone going to the Iowa City = show? And/or=20 know anything about the University of Iowa such as where IMU-Main Lounge = would=20 be? I just know I'm going to get lost. It'll be my first TMBG show. I've = always=20 had reserved seats for concerts, so general admission is new to me also. = Any=20 suggestions? Thanks.
Jackie
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C13FB4.28EF0220-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 21:59:40 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J1xek52444 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:59:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hagbard.io.com (IDENT:root@hagbard.io.com [199.170.88.13]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J1xeN52436 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:59:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from tkula@io.com) Received: from localhost (tkula@localhost) by hagbard.io.com (8.11.2/8.11.2) with ESMTP id f8J1xaX30180; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:59:36 -0500 X-Authentication-Warning: hagbard.io.com: tkula owned process doing -bs Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:59:36 -0500 (CDT) From: To: Jackie York cc: Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG show in Iowa In-Reply-To: <001201c13fde$12008c80$2ff20341@moline1.il.home.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Jackie York wrote: > Hi, is anyone going to the Iowa City show? And/or know anything > about the University of Iowa such as where IMU-Main Lounge would be? I > just know I'm going to get lost. It'll be my first TMBG show. I've > always had reserved seats for concerts, so general admission is new to > me also. Any suggestions? Thanks. > Jackie I'm planning on going, although it's been a few years since I've been to U of I. The Main Lounge is on the first floor of the Iowa Memorial Union: http://www.imuis.uiowa.edu/services/ges/rooms/main%20lounge.htm http://www.imuis.uiowa.edu/imu/maps/firstfloor.html http://orinocco.imuis.uiowa.edu/imu/maps/toimu.html I didn't know about the general admission. I was going to try to call their ticket office as soon as payday puts enough money in the ol' account to make it worthwhile.... -- Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net "That old law which says an eye-for-an eye and a tooth-for-a-tooth will eventually leave everbody blind and toothless." -Ghandi From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Sep 18 23:15:24 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8J3FOq56860 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:15:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from femail3.sdc1.sfba.home.com (femail3.sdc1.sfba.home.com [24.0.95.83]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8J3FNN56852 for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:15:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lees@megahits.com) Received: from leesteel ([24.13.224.148]) by femail3.sdc1.sfba.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.20 201-229-121-120-20010223) with SMTP id <20010919031516.TPZU21340.femail3.sdc1.sfba.home.com@leesteel> for ; Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:15:16 -0700 From: "Lee Steel" To: Subject: RE: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:13:16 -0400 Message-ID: <001801c140b9$07266a10$6501a8c0@leesteel> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook CWS, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2911.0) In-Reply-To: X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4807.1700 Importance: Normal Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Lee Steel" Hey, I sing along to "I'm Def". :-) -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Nathan Mulac DeHoff Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 8:51 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album? Are critics idiots? Jon Jenkins: >I think a good deal, if not majority, of the people on this mailing list >would agree that Flood is by far the best they might be giants album. I doubt it. Not only is that a matter of opinion, but a lot of fans seem to feel resentment toward Flood for being the most popular TMBG album. Personally, I think Flood is a very average album. That's only when compared to other TMBG albums, though. I love almost every song on it, but I love almost every song recorded by TMBG, and, as far as TMBG songs go, most of the tracks on Flood are neither really good nor really bad. >(You can't NOT sing along to any song on that CD...it's just classic) Being able to sing along to a song doesn't necessarily make it great. Then again, some of my least favorite TMBG songs are the ones I can't sing along to, like "I'm Def." >Why then do critics tend to hail Lincoln and the self-titled album as if >they are masterpieces and point to Flood as the beginning of their decline? >I'm not saying that their first two albums are bad, but i certailny think >Flood deserves as much, if not more, credit and praise as they get. I like Lincoln better than Flood, personally. That's just me, though. Flood certainly has more production value than either of the first two albums, which could be either a good or a bad thing, depending on whom you ask. >And what's YOUR favorite TMBG album? This question almost always starts a >semi-feud between John Henry supporters and pre-elektra die-hards...hehe My official answer to this question is always Lincoln, although it's probably actually whatever I'm listening at the time (unless what I'm listening to at the time isn't doing anything for me, in which case it's whatever sounds least like that). Apollo 18 and John Henry also appear in my personal Top Three. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ And, in answer to your question in the subject line, yes. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #45-19 ******************************