Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #45-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 45, Number 25 Thursday, 27 September 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Where's all the setlists and reviews? TMBG: setlists? TMBG: Reference in Men's bathroom!! Re:TMBG: Reference in Men's bathroom!! TMBG: I got hit by a "signed" Mink Car... :) TMBG: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re: TMBG: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? TMBG: Opening Bands? TMBG: Power of Dial-a-Song Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? (none) TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... RE: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... RE: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... TMBG: Re: No Subject TMBG: Re: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 04:45:31 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Where's all the setlists and reviews? Message-ID: <20010926.044531.-711231.0.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> From: TOM J ACQUISTO Come on people, there's a lot of listies and I haven't seen a single setlist or review of this tour. All I've seen is one person mention that he/she saw them but don't remember the set. How could anyone on a list only distributed to hardcore They Might Be Giants fans see them and not remember at least ten songs played. It's expected that everyone knows all the songs by this point. I'm disapointed. If you've seen any show on the Mink Car tour please don't hold back. nick ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 04:55:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: setlists? Message-ID: <20010926.045548.-711231.1.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> From: TOM J ACQUISTO Come on people, there's a lot of listies and I haven't seen a single setlist or review of this tour. All I've seen is one person mention that he/she saw them but don't remember the set. How could anyone on a list only distributed to hardcore They Might Be Giants fans see them and not remember at least ten songs played. It's expected that everyone knows all the songs by this point. I'm disapointed. If you've seen any show on the Mink Car tour please don't hold back. nick ------------------------------ From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: TMBG: Reference in Men's bathroom!! Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:01:57 -0700 Message-ID: Yuck I know! But I went to the men's room in the little shopping place that I work and what do I see written in between the tiles of the stall I was using??? "Well the rain falls down without my help i'm afraid" HOLY COW! I got all excited which did me no good as I was alone in the bathroom and anyone that would possibly care.....doesnt really exist. Except you all maybe. But it was seriously the happiest visit to the bathroom....ever. Now every time i use that stall i'll get to read that and wonder WHO THE HELL BESIDES ME COULDVE POSSIBLY WROTE THAT!!!??? Erich ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:57:53 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Reference in Men's bathroom!! Message-Id: <1549892425@sterl.com> ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: I got hit by a "signed" Mink Car... :) Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:41:26 -0400 Message-ID: 'ello everybuddy, Just thought you'd all love to know that after multiple e-mails from EMusic asking me to authenticate my address, and multiple attempts (and failures) to get the little form on their site to work, I have finally received the confirmation e-mail... "Your autographed They Might Be Giants Mink Car CD has been shipped to you via First Class United States Mail, in a protective, padded, mailer envelope. Please look for it at the mailing address you provided in the next few business days." Woot woot!!! Augie "where the heck did I just come from???" Wan ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:16:34 -0400 Message-ID: OK, I suddenly get thrown back in to the realm of TMBGness when the server crashed the other week and *poof* I'm getting a bunch of TMBG posts mixed in with the rest of my e-mails. I had removed myself from the list quite a few months ago due to the overwhelming amount of posts at the time, but I'm happy to see that it's at a more manageable level right now. So the new album is out, they're on tour, and no one's really saying much. What's up? I personally am waiting for my copy to come in the mail from eMusic before I give opinions, since listening to it on MP3 through cruddy computer speakers isn't my idea of getting the full effect of a new album... :( As far as the tour, I missed them at Notre Dame, but hope to see them in Chicago this Oct. Oh well, back to your normal broadcast silence... Augie "searching digests to see when Bob and Mike were here last" Wan -------------------- No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Mink Car reviews Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:17:00 +0000 Message-ID: For no particular reason, I did a Google search for reviews of Mink Car. I'm pretty sure the Pitchfork Media and Rolling Stone reviews have already been mentioned here, but here are two that I'm not sure have: http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/t/theymightbegiants-mink.html Very positive review, accompanied by a bit about Lincoln (the album) changed this guy's life. http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Music+%26+Audio&action=page&obj_id=29454&type_id=270290&cat_id=270492&sub_id=270548 Favorable review, but it has some errors and oddities. Just to mention a few: >And the two releases following FACTORY SHOWROOM were live albums TWO live albums? Why wasn't I notified of this second one? >They even borrow from fake musical styles"Finished With Lies" opens >with >the guitar riff from those annoying Magnavox commercials that end >with "I >got to admit it's getting better-" Someone on the newsgroup mentioned this one. The reviewer DID know that that song is a cover of a Beatles song, right? >Sure, there are some tracks that simply lie there waiting for death>even >on those early successes like LINCOLN and FLOOD there was >occasional >downtime, and with a whopping 17 tracks on MINK CAR, the >law of averages >almost insists upon that downtime. A "whopping 17 tracks"? That might be a lot for most bands, but it's below average for TMBG, and he's comparing it to Lincoln (18 tracks) and Flood (19). >All those fans who turned away from John squared after JOHN HENRY was > >released need to check this one out. Shouldn't that be "John times two," rather than "John squared"? John squared would be John Johns, in which case the band you'd want to listen to would be the Dukes of Stratosphear. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:20:39 +0000 Message-ID: AugieWan: >So the new album is out, they're on tour, and no one's really saying much. >What's up? I'm not sure. I guess people just don't feel like talking about TMBG. I wouldn't mind some more TMBG discussion, but I don't have that much to say, either. I haven't been to any of the shows or anything. >Augie "searching digests to see when Bob and Mike were here last" Wan I'm pretty sure you've been here since they have. Both of them left back in 1999. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <11e.4fc73af.28e3a848@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:53:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Opening Bands? So who is opening for TMBG on this tour? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:48:48 -0400 (EDT) From: David Mccaleb Subject: TMBG: Power of Dial-a-Song Message-ID: Hey gang- So is there anywhere to get the Power of Dial-a-Song? Also, what exactly is it--I ve heard about it, but not specifically. They should come back to Florida. laters. David ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:12:13 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? Message-ID: <20010926.151213.-1802511.2.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com Yeah, really, I wanna know too! The show I saw at the Wiltern had 2. The first one was called "The Incredible Moses Leroy", and the other was a trio with two acoustic guitar players and one electric bass player. But even after the audience was yelling "Tell us your name!!" I don't think the lead guy gave a straight response. I dunno if these acts were just specific to this venue or at other shows also. Anyone? ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20010926173035.02b2b440@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:31:12 -0500 From: Mitch Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? The Incredible Moses Leroy is listed as opening for tonight's show in Austin. No other band is listed, but I'll let you guys know if anyone else opens for them. Mitch At 03:12 PM 9/26/01 -0700, you wrote: >Yeah, really, I wanna know too! The show I saw at the Wiltern had 2. >The first one was called "The Incredible Moses Leroy", and the other was >a trio with two acoustic guitar players and one electric bass player. >But even after the audience was yelling "Tell us your name!!" I don't >think the lead guy gave a straight response. > >I dunno if these acts were just specific to this venue or at other shows >also. Anyone? > > > > >________________________________________________________________ >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! >Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010926224608.93090.qmail@web9603.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:46:08 -0700 (PDT) From: Doug Vincent Hey, I was wondering if anyone here was planning on going to the Sauget show? ===== Doug Vincent "Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:46:55 +0000 Message-ID: Is anyone planning to make a Part 2 for the Dial-A-Song compilation? There have been quite a few recordings up since the last one was made. (When was that, anyway? Around the time of John Henry, I'm guessing, since there aren't any Factory Showroom songs on it.) Does anyone have any recordings of Dial-A-Songs that weren't on the first compilation? (I know someone must, since they keep showing up on twistid.) And would such a compilation include online Dial-A-Songs? I sort of think it should, but then, I'm not making it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Amy :\)" Subject: RE: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:08:22 -0400 Message-ID: <000a01c146e8$8b639200$6401a8c0@AmyG> um....I have PODAS 2, so maybe someone should make a part 3? I don't know if the 2nd tape was official, but I guess it couldn't have been any less official than the first....the track list is on my website http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/tmbg/bootset.htm (fourth one down) Amy :) -----Original Message----- From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Is anyone planning to make a Part 2 for the Dial-A-Song compilation? ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:23:19 +0000 Message-ID: Amy: >um....I have PODAS 2, so maybe someone should make a part 3? Okay, that would suit me. The second one still doesn't have anything newer than John Henry, after all. >I don't know >if the 2nd tape was official, but I guess it couldn't have been any less >official than the first.... Well, I'll be damned. I've never heard of this before. Not that I'm totally up on my fan-made compilations or anything, but I've probably heard of most of the more famous ones. Is there anyone here who might be willing to make me a copy? (Unfortunately, I don't have anything to trade, so I would have to send blank tapes.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <59.109fc8c4.28e3dd94@aol.com> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:40:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... >Does anyone have any recordings of Dial-A-Songs that weren't on the first >compilation? (I know someone must, since they keep showing up on twistid.) Well, I uploaded quite a few of those songs to twistid, but I don't have the original copies anymore. If anyone wants, I could burn the mp3s to a CD and use that as the main copy for PODAS 3. Any takers? >>I don't know if the 2nd tape was official, but I guess it couldn't have been any less >>official than the first.... >Is there anyone here who might be willing to make me a copy? (Unfortunately, I >don't have anything to trade, so I would have to send blank tapes.) I've got a copy. Quality's pretty horrible, but what do you expect? It's gotta be in it's umptieth generation copy by now. Again, any takers, and I can make copies. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: MDG0611@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:40:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: No Subject But of course! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002301c14639$24056ca0$2ff20341@moline1.il.home.com> From: "Jackie York" Subject: TMBG: Re: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:12:56 -0500 You're going to the Chicago show? At the Riviera? So am I. Have you ever been there? Has anyone been there? I'm just curious what kind of venue it is and what kind of neighborhood it's in. Thanks for any info. Jackie ----- Original Message ----- From: "AugieWan" To: "Them People" Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 4:16 PM Subject: TMBG: *tap* *tap* is this thing on? > OK, I suddenly get thrown back in to the realm of TMBGness when the server > crashed the other week and *poof* I'm getting a bunch of TMBG posts mixed in > with the rest of my e-mails. I had removed myself from the list quite a few > months ago due to the overwhelming amount of posts at the time, but I'm > happy to see that it's at a more manageable level right now. > > So the new album is out, they're on tour, and no one's really saying much. > What's up? I personally am waiting for my copy to come in the mail from > eMusic before I give opinions, since listening to it on MP3 through cruddy > computer speakers isn't my idea of getting the full effect of a new album... > :( > > As far as the tour, I missed them at Notre Dame, but hope to see them in > Chicago this Oct. Oh well, back to your normal broadcast silence... > > Augie "searching digests to see when Bob and Mike were here last" Wan > -------------------- > No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20010926232645.02a0e7b0@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:27:53 -0500 From: Mitch Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Bands? Only one opening band, The Incredible Moses Leroy. I thought they were pretty good, but opinions were very divided. I don't remember all the songs TMBG played, but they played a lot off Mink Car. They also played Boss of Me, and some older stuff. Their banter is much better than I've ever seen it before. Very good show. Mitch At 05:31 PM 9/26/01 -0500, you wrote: >The Incredible Moses Leroy is listed as opening for tonight's show in >Austin. No other band is listed, but I'll let you guys know if anyone >else opens for them. > >Mitch > >At 03:12 PM 9/26/01 -0700, you wrote: >>Yeah, really, I wanna know too! The show I saw at the Wiltern had 2. >>The first one was called "The Incredible Moses Leroy", and the other was >>a trio with two acoustic guitar players and one electric bass player. >>But even after the audience was yelling "Tell us your name!!" I don't >>think the lead guy gave a straight response. >> >>I dunno if these acts were just specific to this venue or at other shows >>also. Anyone? >> >> >> >> >>________________________________________________________________ >>GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! >>Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! >>Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: >>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. > >http://www.mitcharf.com/ > >"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips >over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." > - Matt Groening http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #45-25 ******************************