Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #45-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 45, Number 26 Friday, 28 September 2001 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews TMBG: Re: TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 TMBG: Me Mailbox got hit by a SIGNED mink car Re:TMBG: Me Mailbox got hit by a SIGNED mink car Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 TMBG: Hall of Heads Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Re: TMBG: Songs they never play live Re: TMBG: TMBG grr Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:36:54 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Message-Id: <4101369241@sterl.com> Nathan sez: >>Shouldn't that be "John times two," rather than "John squared"? John squared would be John Johns, in which case the band you'd want to listen to would be the Dukes of Stratosphear << And actually, John squared would be only one John, 1 squared being 1, & all... So which John would it be? Or maybe They'd be morphed into one singular, composite John. John Linsburgh, or John Flannell. Now there's a concept.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20010927135750.25357.qmail@web9607.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 06:57:50 -0700 (PDT) From: Doug Vincent Subject: TMBG: Re: --- Bongo wrote: > > > > I don't know. Where's Sauget anyway? > > -B O N G O > > Its right below east st. louis. its very small. thats all I know. ===== Doug Vincent "Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:26:48 +0000 Message-ID: Were you just asked to write a critical review of the new They Might Be Giants album, and your reaction was "Who's There May Be Giants"? Never fear, because the secrets to writing a successful review are right here, in the: CRITICS' GUIDE TO REVIEWING THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS 1. Be sure to use the word "quirky" as frequently as possible. This gives readers a good indication as to what the band sounds like. WRONG: "They Might Be Giants is a band made up of two guys from Brooklyn named John. They have released seven studio albums." RIGHT: "They Might Be Giants is a quirky band made up of two quirky guys from quirky Brooklyn quirkily named John. They have released seven quirky studio albums of quirky music." 2. The Johns and their fans are all big nerds. Call attention to this fact as much as possible. WRONG: "They Might Be Giants write intelligent songs, and have a small but loyal fanbase." RIGHT: "They Might Be Giants are two dorks who write geeky songs, and have a fanbase of nerdy computer programmers with pocket protectors, who listen to the band's music while defragging their hard drives." 3. They Might Be Giants is a joke band. Every song they write is humorous. Every line is making fun of something. If they have a song that sounds like a certain genre or artist, it is a parody. Comparisons to other humorous musicians are apt. WRONG: "Mink Car" is an easy listening song, clearly inspired by Burt Bacharach. RIGHT: "Mink Car" is a parody of easy listening songs, which mocks Burt Bacharach. Weird Al would be proud. 4. If you need to know the difference between the two Johns, Flansburg is the fat one with the nasal voice, and Linnel is the whiny one. They are both essentially the same, though, so don't bother checking to make sure you're not getting them mixed up. 5. Always point out the oddest, most novel song on the album, and point it out as a typical example of the band's work. See the list below for the most important songs on each album. 6. The band's six previous studio albums are: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS AND LINCOLN: While technically two different albums, just consider them to be the same. They're innovative, and use a drum machine. Important songs: Let's Not Start, Youth Culture Killed My Dog, Ana Ng FLOOD: This is the band's masterpiece, and every album since then has been a step in the wrong direction. Be sure to point this out in your review. Important songs: Minimum Wage, Birdcage In Your Soul, Instanbul, Particle Man APOLLO 18: A huge disappointment after Flood. The only important song is "Fingertips." JOHN HENRY: The first album to use a full band. Nobody likes it. FACTORY SHOWROOM: The last studio album on Elektra. It got no promotion. The most important song is "I Can Hear You." As with the names of the Johns, don't bother to commit this list to memory. Forgetting about some of the albums can only improve your review. 7. Assume that the Johns wrote every song on the album. Even if you've heard Leslie Gore sing one of the songs on the Oldies station, it somehow must have been written by one of the Johns. Just follow this handy guide, and you'll have no trouble at all writing a review! This method has been tested by numerous critics, and will guarantee you success. COMING NEXT WEEK: The Newbies' Guide to Posting in TMBG Forums. From "Are the Johns gay?" to "There are cranberries under my bed" to "I just committed suicide," these handy-dandy topics will make you the most popular person on the tmbg.org list or alt.music.tmbg newsgroup within days! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:44:02 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Message-Id: <1482063318@sterl.com> Brilliant!!!! Nathan, you are a wicked pisser little critter.... and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, and in the best possible way. Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:47:29 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Message-Id: <1582548014@sterl.com> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:51:06 -0400 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Message-Id: <286052718@sterl.com> ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:10:06 +0000 Message-ID: PR Mega: > >Does anyone have any recordings of Dial-A-Songs that weren't on the first > >compilation? (I know someone must, since they keep showing up on >twistid.) > >Well, I uploaded quite a few of those songs to twistid, but I don't have >the >original copies anymore. If anyone wants, I could burn the mp3s to a CD and >use that as the main copy for PODAS 3. Any takers? I'd probably take it. Maybe we should start a master list of Dial-A-Songs not on either of the other two tapes, so we can make sure it's complete (and because I like making lists). From analog Dial-A-Song: What Is Everyone Staring At? Finished With Lies The Bells Are Ringing Answering Machine Message (or was this never on DAS?) Mario Speaks (not sure about this one, either) Hovering Sombrero (there were a few versions of this, I think) Wicked Little Critta Truckers' Coffee Robot Parade (both versions) Clowntown No! Tumbleweed I Am A Grocery Bag Dial-A-Song Is Coming To Take You Along Working Undercover For The Man Violin Something You'd Like To See Clap Your Hands Shooting Star Bed, Bed, Bed Lazy Head And Sleepy Bones Drink! I've Got A Fang No Answer The Sun Is On Fire All MacGyver On It I Can't Hide From My Mind Mink Car Nice Is Good The Edison Museum (I got most of these from the list at twistid.com. There might be some others that I forgot.) From dialasong.com (back when it was all .mov files): Rest Awhile The Smoking Gun Theme The Edison Museum Certain People I Could Name Finished With Lies Dark And Metric On The Drag You're Watching... Four Of Two Anyone have a list of songs from the new dialasong.com (the one with the organ grinder)? I haven't listened to that much, because I can rarely get it to work. There were a lot of Malcolm in the Middle instrumentals on there, I'm pretty sure. Note that some of these songs are the exact same versions that appeared on the albums. I think the most recent DAS versions of "Finished With Lies" and "Hovering Sombrero" were the Mink Car versions, although I'm not totally sure. I know the dialasong.com versions of "Certain People I Could Name" and "Dark And Metric" were exactly the same as the ones on Long Tall Weekend. The analog DAS version of "The Edison Museum" is on LTW as well. This might be a reason to exclude these tracks, although I seriously doubt having lousy recordings of these songs from the phone or the computer would cut into album sales. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:12:34 +0000 Message-ID: Karin: >Nathan sez: > >>Shouldn't that be "John times two," rather than "John squared"? John >squared would be John Johns, in which case the band you'd want to listen to >would be the Dukes of Stratosphear ><< >And actually, John squared would be only one John, 1 squared being 1, & >all... No, that's only true if John=1. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ (Gee, I wonder how TMBG fans got the reputation of being nerds.) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re:TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:18:23 +0000 Message-ID: Karin: >But what about Careless Santa???? Well, that's Mono Puff, but the Critics' Guide to Reviewing Mono Puff would probably be similar. Except for the fact that a Mono Puff review is required to contain the following things: 1. Some snide comment on the nature of side projects 2. A quip about how it sounds like "half of TMBG" 3. Some remark about "white-boy funk" -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Critics' Guide to Reviewing They Might Be Giants Message-ID: From: "Bill Seybolt" Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:23:44 -0400 9. Don't forget to mention that TMBG is rarely played on commercial radio. Score extra bonus points if you are able to get a quote from a program director to back you up. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] And you wonder why they all think we're geeks. --- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Karin: > >Nathan sez: > > >>Shouldn't that be "John times two," rather than > "John squared"? John > >squared would be John Johns, in which case the band > you'd want to listen to > >would be the Dukes of Stratosphear > ><< > >And actually, John squared would be only one John, > 1 squared being 1, & > >all... > > No, that's only true if John=1. > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > (Gee, I wonder how TMBG fans got the reputation of > being nerds.) > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at > http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 11:37:25 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RFbPC60137 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:37:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from web9602.mail.yahoo.com (web9602.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.129.181]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f8RFbON60129 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:37:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from d_vinci_01@yahoo.com) Message-ID: <20010927153723.94903.qmail@web9602.mail.yahoo.com> Received: from [128.252.250.52] by web9602.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:37:23 PDT Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:37:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Doug Vincent Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews To: tmbg list In-Reply-To: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Doug Vincent --- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Karin: > No, that's only true if John=1. But if John=2, then John squared=4. For John squared to equal 2, John would have to = the square root of 2. Now we delve into infinite decimals and imaginary numbers. You see, it just becomes a big mess. ===== Doug Vincent "Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 11:54:15 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RFsFa60664 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:54:15 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from megahits.com (mail.megahits.com [207.76.78.5]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RFsEN60656 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:54:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lees@megahits.com) Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:54:13 -0400 Message-Id: <200109271154.AA493486398@megahits.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii From: "lees" To: Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews X-Mailer: Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "lees" Speaking of reviews, the music critic for the Hartford Courant gave a sparkeling review. If anyone is interested in reading it, I will take the time to post it tonight. Lee ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Vincent Reply-To: Doug Vincent Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:37:23 -0700 (PDT) >--- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >> Karin: >> No, that's only true if John=1. >But if John=2, then John squared=4. For John squared >to equal 2, John would have to = the square root of 2. >Now we delve into infinite decimals and imaginary >numbers. You see, it just becomes a big mess. > >===== >Doug Vincent >"Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. >http://phone.yahoo.com > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 12:08:52 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RG8q961195 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:08:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f154.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.154]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RG8qN61187 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:08:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:08:46 -0700 Received: from 64.192.26.1 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:08:46 GMT X-Originating-IP: [64.192.26.1] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:08:46 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 16:08:46.0454 (UTC) FILETIME=[AFCD8160:01C1476E] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lee: >Speaking of reviews, the music critic for the Hartford Courant gave a >sparkeling review. If anyone is interested in reading it, I will take the >time to post it tonight. I'd be interested in reading it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 13:36:28 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RHaSl64293 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:36:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from stout.hampshire.edu (stout.hampshire.edu [192.33.12.80]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RHaRN64285 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:36:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from cfe98@hampshire.edu) Received: from localhost (cfe98@localhost) by stout.hampshire.edu (8.9.3+Sun/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA11563; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:36:20 -0400 (EDT) X-Authentication-Warning: stout.hampshire.edu: cfe98 owned process doing -bs Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:36:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Christine Fernsebner Eslao To: lees cc: Subject: Re:TMBG: Mink Car reviews In-Reply-To: <200109271154.AA493486398@megahits.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Christine Fernsebner Eslao I'd be interested in reading it. Is it by Roger Catlin? I usually dislike his reviews because he's kind of a wuss. He gave Yanni a really harsh review a few years ago and was deluged with hate mail; he hasn't written a really scathing review since. Christine (who has never posted before, and will resume lurking now) Christine Fernsebner Eslao [ cfe98@hampshire.edu | aim : theEndOfHistory | irc : sushiesq ] http://www.zole.org/sushiesque On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, lees wrote: > Speaking of reviews, the music critic for the Hartford Courant gave a sparkeling review. If anyone is interested in reading it, I will take the time to post it tonight. > > Lee > > ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- > From: Doug Vincent > Reply-To: Doug Vincent > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:37:23 -0700 (PDT) > > >--- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >> Karin: > >> No, that's only true if John=1. > >But if John=2, then John squared=4. For John squared > >to equal 2, John would have to = the square root of 2. > >Now we delve into infinite decimals and imaginary > >numbers. You see, it just becomes a big mess. > > > >===== > >Doug Vincent > >"Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles > > > >__________________________________________________ > >Do You Yahoo!? > >Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. > >http://phone.yahoo.com > > > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 13:38:57 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RHcvi64388 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:38:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f66.law14.hotmail.com [64.4.21.66]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RHcuN64380 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:38:56 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rabidium@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:38:50 -0700 Received: from 63.100.108.11 by lw14fd.law14.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:38:50 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.100.108.11] From: "Olaf Malachowski" To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:38:50 -0700 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 17:38:50.0762 (UTC) FILETIME=[450576A0:01C1477B] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Olaf Malachowski" Alright, so it's taken me a while, mostly because Monkey Boy won't get off my back here at work, but I was at the show last saturday at the Wiltern in LA, and I have a review... {First, by way of history, this is my 5th Giants Show (I go to few concerts in general). The previous 3 shows were at the House of Blues LA, one last year, two the year before, the year before that was at the El Ray in LA. One of the reasons I mention all these venues is that none of them have chairs. (The El Ray and HOB Both have seating areas, but I was squished up at the front-ish of the stage.) I've been on the Flansy side the first two shows and the Linnel side the last 2. Once I was in the middle and kinda moved around a bit, chasing a cute waitress.} The opener was that 'The Incredible Moses Something', who wasn't Incredible, but wasn't that bad. Followed, strangely enough, by a folk trio. Lead singer with acoustic guitar, girl backup (with a better voice than the lead, but they didn't mesh well) also with guitar, and an electric bass guy, (which was so quiet it might just as well have been a sousaphone for all we heard of it.) The audience prompted them for a name, but I don't think they had one, I think that they were whatever's left of 'The Bicycle Thief' but I'm not sure. (They Played a song he wrote for 'Pay It Forward' that was rejected if that helps anyone come up with a name.) Generally they were ok, but each song sounded kinda the same, and the lead guy seemed fairly nervous to be there. His banter was actually better received than his songs. (He mentioned that he'd had sex in this theater, which brought cheers and a standing O!) No one seemed to mind too much that the openers weren't all that interesting, and one guy to my front said of the folk group "At least it's not that 'Spiralling A-ha' band from last year." The giants took the stage to a wave of applause and everyone stood up... and then half the damn theater sat down again, mostly in my frickin' section! They had 'the big head guy' in triplicate on the back wall, with some very colorful spot lighting. (After a few songs the one in the middle started sagging and folding over a bit, though no one seemed to notice.) After four and a half songs, in the middle of a pause(I think during 'she's actual size') someone in the back said "Hey could you guys sit down?" a bit too loudly. and then at the end of the song, flans said "We're not really a sit-down kind of band" which brought everyone to their feet at last... Where they stayed thankfully to the end of the show... That energized the set quite a bit. Musically the show was solid, the giants know their songs, and each piece sounded almost album-perfect. The Mixing was a bit off, but that may have been that I was on the far Right side of the stage, only a dozen rows back. The setlist was largely the Hits(Birdhouse, particle, I(NC)), with a few favs (Spy, She's actual Size, NYC) and a bunch off the new album. (Notably missing was Ana Ng, which they may just be sick of.) As I recall, opening with Cyclops Rock, they did Mink Car, Hopeless Bleak, Drink, Man It's, and Yeh Yeh from the new album, but there was definitely a focus on the new stuff. Tragically, no Hovering sombrero, first kiss or WUFTM, (not even Edith Head!)... Strangely lacking was anything, even a single song from John Henry, 'cept Spy, and I think even nothing from A18 'cept she's actual size... (What's up with no 'End of the tour' or 'Statue'?) The show got better as it went along, in the middle of SPY or something Flansy chanted "It's too late to save the show, you can't save the show, it's too late to save the show!" and the crowd went wild. The most dissapointing song was "Man" which was done with just the Johns and seemed sort of a pit sucking the momentum out of the show. I don't know why they decided to do it without the Dans, only that it sounded very album-close, though someone should tell them that that doesn't neccessarily mean the best live. That song could really rock with some Dans thrown in, and the joke isn't really worth losing the rockin'-ness. The best song was probably...(I've just sat here for five minutes trying to pick a best song, and I couldn't, so just I'll just say)...everything else. Off stage, the audience in the balcony seemed way more into the show than those on the ground, though that may have been an illusion caused by the fact that they were making the balcony bounce Literally 3-4 feet in the air! It was a pretty scary sight from where I was sitting, though it was probably scarier for those On or Under the balcony... The general audience seemed about 50% diehards, and 50% casual fans. The Johns barely mentioned the tragedy, only to say that it had caused them to bus all the way accross the country for the last four days. They did play 'NYC', but without mention before, during or after. It seemed strange, actually, but I suppose they're not the people to be talking about that sort of thing. In retrospect, it's actually good that some people know when their opinion isn't neccissarily wanted and just go about the business of making us forget it and dance for a few hours... To summarize this lengthy review, it was a good show, though I'd rather see them at venues without assigned seating. The songs were good, though I'd rather hear a few of the stranger songs in their list. The audience was good, though I'd rather they be a little more understanding that this is a fanatic's band and that they aren't at a blink 182 concert. The sound wasn't good, though that probably had more to do with the house than the guys. and finally the openers weren't all that good, but they almost never were. (Yes, Lincoln, Soul Coughing and Cub were probably fine, but the others almost universally stank.) So, did I like it? Heck YEAH! I'd rather see the worst Giants show than the best of most any other band. And this was quite a good show! I totally got my money's worth! The new DAS t-shirt I bought has every song They've recorded on it, and I know all but 12 of them by heart! I saw a guy who looked a lot like Wierd Al, though I'm not certain the reports are true that it was him... I had a great time, and I'd pay twice as much to do it again! Just wanted to end that with a positive note. It was a good show, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Oh, but $8 for parking is just stupid. -Rabidium or -Olaf _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 13:53:40 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RHreU64995 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:53:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from c011.snv.cp.net (c011-h006.c011.snv.cp.net [209.228.34.219]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f8RHreN64987 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:53:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: (cpmta 28728 invoked from network); 27 Sep 2001 10:53:33 -0700 Received: from mail.visualnetworks.com (208.22.73.21) by smtp.namezero.com (209.228.34.219) with SMTP; 27 Sep 2001 10:53:33 -0700 X-Sent: 27 Sep 2001 17:53:33 GMT Message-ID: <00fe01c1477c$dfc3c330$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" To: Received: from no.name.available by mail.visualnetworks.com via smtpd (for namezero.com.criticalpath.net [209.229.62.48]) with SMTP; 27 Sep 2001 17:53:29 UT References: Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:43:38 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Bryce" Nathan Mulac DeHoff : > Maybe we should start a master list of Dial-A-Songs not on either > of the other two tapes, so we can make sure it's complete (and > because I like making lists). > > From analog Dial-A-Song: I think I heard almost all of the ones you listed, but don't know of any others. I don't keep up with it like I should. > From dialasong.com (back when it was all .mov files): > Rest Awhile > The Smoking Gun Theme > The Edison Museum > Certain People I Could Name > Finished With Lies > Dark And Metric > On The Drag > You're Watching... > Four Of Two There was also a .wav era before that. I have these in .wav format from dialasong.com: The Bells are Ringing (alternate version) Feel Good Sublet Rat Patrol (Flans a capella) So Long, Mockingbird* The Summer Breeze Swing is a Word* Token Back to Brooklyn ("Get Away" version)* Your Own Worst Enemy (alternate version) Wreck it Apart* * (probably on another PODAS already, I don't remember for sure) > Anyone have a list of songs from the new dialasong.com > (the one with the organ grinder)? I haven't listened to > that much, because I can rarely get it to work. I haven't been watching this at all. The slowed-down playback is just too painful. > This might be a reason to exclude these tracks, although > I seriously doubt having lousy recordings of these songs > from the phone or the computer would cut into album > sales. I would exclude them, but not for piracy issues; I don't really need to hear the lo-fi versions of album tracks once I've got the album. Bryce From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 15:09:57 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RJ9vQ67500 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:09:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m2.boston.juno.com (m2.boston.juno.com [64.136.24.65]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RJ9vN67492 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:09:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from garrett27@juno.com) Received: from cookie.juno.com by cookie.juno.com for <"FaRWUyoF5LEnJI9JRj2QIh3m++pNRoQ1Dv3sUkgKDzsH0bO1uPgWiA=="> Received: (from garrett27@juno.com) by m2.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id GGC76X8V; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:08:58 EDT To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:05:41 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Message-ID: <20010927.120542.-1661539.0.Garrett27@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 4.0.11 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0,4-6,8-10,12-14,17-20 X-Juno-Att: 0 X-Juno-RefParts: 0 From: garrett27@juno.com Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: garrett27@juno.com << (Notably missing was Ana Ng, which they may just be sick of.) >> Remember how Linnell said people are usually upset that they don't play it as fast as it is on the album? So they attempted to play it super-fast...then stopped, started over, and played it all the way through their usual concert way. << Tragically, no Hovering sombrero, first kiss or WUFTM >> They didn't play WUFTM? Hm. I thought I remembered hearing it with the synth choir vocals in the back....maybe not. << and I think even nothing from A18 'cept she's actual size.. >> They played a total of 23 songs from A18: She's Actual Size, The Guitar, and Fingertips. =) Where was the Weird Al looking guy? I saw one who very faintly resembled him before the show but definitely wasn't...then I'm nearly positive that it was Weird Al I saw driving away afterwards. ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 15:41:59 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RJfxW68936 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:41:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.opcnet.com (IDENT:mirapoint@[63.101.87.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RJfxN68928 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:41:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.111]) by smtp.opcnet.com (Mirapoint) with ESMTP id AAL91135 (AUTH zaph0d%opcnet.com); Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:41:57 -0700 (MST) Message-ID: <3BB3811E.CB1A03DC@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:42:22 -0400 From: lawrence solomon X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.5 i686) X-Accept-Language: en-GB, ja, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Olaf Malachowski wrote: > WUFTM, (not even Edith Head!)... Strangely lacking was anything, even a > single song from John Henry, 'cept Spy, and I think even nothing from A18 > 'cept she's actual size... (What's up with no 'End of the tour' or > 'Statue'?) sadly, they must have somehow gotten the impression that most people hated John Henry, and I think that's part of the reason they've eliminated almost all of it from the show. I specifically asked Flansburgh about End of the Tour recently (I would have asked Linnell, but he hides after shows) and he said two very interesting things - one, that there's really *no* song he feels a total aversion to playing live (well, almost - he didn't name any he absolutely wouldn't play, but I'm pretty sure Hall of Heads is one of them), so you never know what they might learn next. and two, that he and Linnell are *extremely* aware of how much people love End of the Tour, but that at the time, they were including Maybe I Know, She's an Angel, and Sleepwalkers in their set, and adding another downer like End of the Tour wouldn't be possible. Statue they supposedly should have been doing all this time, since it was voted in the emusic poll as the song the fans would most like to see them bring back in their live show. I asked Flans about that, too, and they *are* aware of the polls, but given the fact that Mink Car was not even one of the choices in the "name the next album" poll, I'd have to say our chances of hearing Statue any time soon aren't very high, especially if they aren't touring with horns. one thing I've noticed that I think is a little disappointing is that outside of the Mink Car stuff, which we expect to see in pretty much every setlist (I'm surprised there isn't more of it - when Factory Showroom came out, they played, on average, 9 or 10 songs from it in a given show) they don't really vary the old stuff. the current band knows a *ton* of songs - all of Flood, a few favourites from the early years (and a few rarities - the Band of Dans *was* the band they brought back Absolutely Bill's Mood with) and then a handful of later stuff, too (although I think they only know about 6 John Henry songs) and yet, they don't rotate stuff in and out like they once did. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:21:49 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKLnR70375 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:21:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f58.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.58]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKLmN70366 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:21:48 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:21:43 -0700 Received: from 129.25.17.150 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:21:43 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.25.17.150] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:21:43 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 20:21:43.0302 (UTC) FILETIME=[05E8BA60:01C14792] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Olaf: >Strangely lacking was anything, even a >single song from John Henry, 'cept Spy I think they've disowned that album. >The most dissapointing song was "Man" which was done with just the Johns >and >seemed sort of a pit sucking the momentum out of the show. I don't know why >they decided to do it without the Dans, only that it sounded very >album-close, though someone should tell them that that doesn't neccessarily >mean the best live. Agreed. I think it's fun and interesting when they do songs completely (or at least slightly) differently live. They don't always come out sounding as GOOD as the album versions, but that doesn't really matter. I know the basis for Severe Tire Damage was that some songs sound better (or at least different) live, so why aren't they continuing with this trend? Besides, I'd rather hear the fast "First Kiss" or the rock "Man, It's So Loud In Here" than the Mink Car versions, but that's just me, and I'm not going to any shows anytime soon. >I saw a guy who >looked a lot like Wierd Al, though I'm not certain the reports are true >that >it was him... I'm pretty sure Weird Al has been to TMBG shows before. He got married recently, you know. I wonder if his wife was there. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:31:25 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKVPg70924 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:31:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f252.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.236.130]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKVON70916 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:31:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:31:19 -0700 Received: from 129.25.17.150 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:31:19 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.25.17.150] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:31:19 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 20:31:19.0276 (UTC) FILETIME=[5D3762C0:01C14793] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Bryce: > > From dialasong.com (back when it was all .mov files): > > Rest Awhile > > The Smoking Gun Theme > > The Edison Museum > > Certain People I Could Name > > Finished With Lies > > Dark And Metric > > On The Drag > > You're Watching... > > Four Of Two > >There was also a .wav era before that. Yeah, but all of those songs were also available over the phone at one time or other. (Well, I don't know that for sure, since that was before I had ever called, but I'm pretty sure they were.) >I have these in .wav format from dialasong.com: >The Bells are Ringing (alternate version) >Feel Good Sublet >Rat Patrol (Flans a capella) >So Long, Mockingbird* >The Summer Breeze >Swing is a Word* >Token Back to Brooklyn ("Get Away" version)* >Your Own Worst Enemy (alternate version) >Wreck it Apart* > >* (probably on another PODAS already, I don't remember for sure) "Swing Is A Word," "Token Back To Brooklyn," and "Don't Make Me Kill You Again" (or "Wreck It Apart") are all on the first PODAS. I think all or most of the others are on Part 2, but I don't know for sure. There were some other .wav songs that you forgot, but most of them have already been released. These songs were: The Edison Museum (same as Long Tall Weekend version) Schoolchildren Singing Particle Man (on Then) What Bothers The Spaceman? Tryptophane Maine (on PODAS 1) When Tornadoes Take Over The World (I think this is on PODAS 2) > > This might be a reason to exclude these tracks, although > > I seriously doubt having lousy recordings of these songs > > from the phone or the computer would cut into album > > sales. > >I would exclude them, but not for piracy issues; I don't really need to >hear the lo-fi >versions of album tracks once I've got the album. I agree. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:40:55 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKetp71353 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:40:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m06.mx.aol.com (imo-m06.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.161]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKesN71344 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:40:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Furfr@aol.com) Received: from Furfr@aol.com by imo-m06.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.10f.5dcee3f (15858) for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:39:19 -0400 (EDT) Received: from web50.aolmail.aol.com (web50.aolmail.aol.com [205.188.161.11]) by air-id05.mx.aol.com (v80.17) with ESMTP id MAILINID59-0927163919; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:39:19 -0400 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:39:18 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Unknown (No Version) Message-ID: <10f.5dcee3f.28e4e877@aol.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Furfr@aol.com Olaf: >Strangely lacking was anything, even a >single song from John Henry, 'cept Spy Did they do Subliminal? I thought they were playing that at almost every show. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:45:37 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKjbk71644 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:45:37 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (oe39.pav1.hotmail.com [64.4.30.96]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKjaN71636 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:45:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from mrminiwheat60@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:45:30 -0700 X-Originating-IP: [65.0.77.234] From: "Erich Cannon" To: References: Subject: TMBG: Me Mailbox got hit by a SIGNED mink car Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:51:21 -0700 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2615.200 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2615.200 Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 20:45:30.0972 (UTC) FILETIME=[58DDE1C0:01C14795] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Erich Cannon" I got my signed copy of MINK CAR in the mail just now!! Anyone else? we should compare how each of ours was signed. Perhaps we'd be able to tell when the John's first started and which one they ended on (sloppiness, no creativity hehheh) mine says JOHN SID on the top and on the bottom right corner JOHN F. A big O being made into a head over the headlights as eyes. very cool. Erich From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:51:57 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKpvL71915 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:51:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imf02bis.bellsouth.net (mail102.mail.bellsouth.net [205.152.58.42]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKpvN71907 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:51:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from dirky1@bellsouth.net) Received: from charlie ([66.156.107.228]) by imf02bis.bellsouth.net (InterMail vM.5.01.01.01 201-252-104) with SMTP id <20010927205245.HHDX8740.imf02bis.bellsouth.net@charlie> for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:52:45 -0400 Message-ID: <000901c14795$d8855340$03fe1fac@millerfamily.org> From: "Charlie Miller" To: References: Subject: Re:TMBG: Me Mailbox got hit by a SIGNED mink car Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:49:03 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Charlie Miller" Sweet, I can't wait til mine comes in...I emailed them awhile ago about it...then came the confirmation of address thing, which said it'd come in 10 days...then came the response to my email, on the 20th, which said 3 weeks. So I dunno when to expect it, but I can hardly contain myself. -Charlie Miller From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 16:52:05 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RKq5u71956 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:52:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f81.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.81]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RKq5N71947 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:52:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:51:59 -0700 Received: from 129.25.17.150 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:51:59 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.25.17.150] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:51:59 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 20:51:59.0719 (UTC) FILETIME=[4093F770:01C14796] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lawrence Solomon: >Olaf Malachowski wrote: > > > WUFTM, (not even Edith Head!)... Strangely lacking was anything, even a > > single song from John Henry, 'cept Spy, and I think even nothing from >A18 > > 'cept she's actual size... (What's up with no 'End of the tour' or > > 'Statue'?) > >sadly, they must have somehow gotten the impression that most people >hated John Henry, and I think that's part of the reason they've >eliminated almost all of it from the show. Possibly. I know critical reviews of John Henry tend to be unfavorable, and the Johns themselves apparently didn't care for it all that much. I seem to recall seeing some interviews where they gave the impression that they went overboard with the live band on that album, and they preferred Factory Showroom, where the choice of whether to use the full band or synthesizers was taken song by song. Personally, I think JH was a stronger album than FS, but what do I know? I don't see why people disliking the album would be a reason not to play ANYTHING from it at shows (except for the annoying "Spy," which I think they should cut OUT of the live show). I guess "Subliminal," "Meet James Ensor," and "No One Knows My Plan" still show up occasionally, but not all that often. (I know they played all but the first one of those at the free Prospect Park show last year. I've never heard "Subliminal" live, but I've seen it in setlists occasionally.) Some of the songs probably aren't played because they need the horns to get the full sound ("Sleeping In The Flowers," for instance), but that's no excuse for not playing, say "Snail Shell" or "A Self Called Nowhere." >I specifically asked Flansburgh about End of the Tour recently (I would >have asked Linnell, but he hides after shows) and he said two very >interesting things - one, that there's really *no* song he feels a total >aversion to playing live (well, almost - he didn't name any he >absolutely wouldn't play, but I'm pretty sure Hall of Heads is one of >them) Maybe they just don't think "Hall Of Heads" would go over all that well live. They really should do an Apollo 18 show, though. There's a LOT of good stuff on there that gets neglected. (I think they've only played "Dinner Bell" live once or twice, and that's one of my favorite TMBG songs ever.) Are there any other released songs they've never (to the knowledge of people here, anyway) played live, or have only done once or twice? I think "The World's Address" was mentioned as one they only played once. There are also some songs from Mink Car that they've never done live, but I guess that will change at the Flood vs. Mink Car show (although even then there's a chance they'll leave out some songs; I guess Mike Doughty will have to be willing to go to Washington with them if they want to include "Mr. Xcitement," unless they do it as an instrumental). >the current band >knows a *ton* of songs - all of Flood, a few favourites from the early >years (and a few rarities - the Band of Dans *was* the band they brought >back Absolutely Bill's Mood with) and then a handful of later stuff, too >(although I think they only know about 6 John Henry songs) and yet, they >don't rotate stuff in and out like they once did. I'm not sure how many songs the band knows has all that much to do with it. First of all, if they really wanted to play a song the Dans DIDN'T know, I don't think it would take long to teach them; they're professional musicians, and TMBG's songs aren't generally all that musically complex. Also, having played a song doesn't mean it's always going to be fresh in the Johns' and Dans' minds. I know they said the Flood show required a lot of rehearsing, so maybe they just don't feel like rehearsing a lot of the songs. Or maybe they only play songs that they know will go over well. It doesn't really matter that much to me; I would enjoy a TMBG concert even if it was the exact same setlist I'd seen the last time. I don't go to all that many shows, though. If it IS true that they rotated the songs more before, though, it's kind of odd that they've stopped since then. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 17:38:27 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RLcR473851 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:38:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.opcnet.com (IDENT:mirapoint@[63.101.87.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RLcQN73843 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:38:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.111]) by smtp.opcnet.com (Mirapoint) with ESMTP id AAL91412 (AUTH zaph0d%opcnet.com); Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:38:24 -0700 (MST) Message-ID: <3BB39C6C.6FA17ACB@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:38:52 -0400 From: lawrence solomon X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.5 i686) X-Accept-Language: en-GB, ja, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > one of those at the free Prospect Park show last year. I've never heard > "Subliminal" live, but I've seen it in setlists occasionally.) Some of the > songs probably aren't played because they need the horns to get the full > sound ("Sleeping In The Flowers," for instance), but that's no excuse for > not playing, say "Snail Shell" or "A Self Called Nowhere." actually, Sleeping in the Flowers had quite a long run even after the horns left. A Self Called Nowhere is almost *more* horn-dependent, though. They did that once recently.... well, Linnell did. at the instore where Flans stayed home sick. > Maybe they just don't think "Hall Of Heads" would go over all that well > live. They really should do an Apollo 18 show, though. There's a LOT of > good stuff on there that gets neglected. (I think they've only played > "Dinner Bell" live once or twice, and that's one of my favorite TMBG songs > ever.) Dinner Bell was played at pretty much every show in late 1992. they've only played it a handful of times since, though. I've heard Flans indicate that he *really* hates Hall of Heads. I forget where, but I don't think he's very proud to have written it. They've actually done most of Apollo 18 in the last couple of years... > Are there any other released songs they've never (to the knowledge of people > here, anyway) played live, or have only done once or twice? I think "The > World's Address" was mentioned as one they only played once. There are also > some songs from Mink Car that they've never done live, but I guess that will > change at the Flood vs. Mink Car show (although even then there's a chance > they'll leave out some songs; I guess Mike Doughty will have to be willing > to go to Washington with them if they want to include "Mr. Xcitement," > unless they do it as an instrumental). The World's Address I think was played a lot in the early years (it's been around longer than Lincoln has) and then it basically disappeared after 1988. as far as I know, they've never done Stand on Your Own Head or Hall of Heads, and a whole lot of B-sides (Mrs. Train, Welcome to the Jungle, I Blame You, Moving to the Sun, We've Got a World that Swings, Cabbagetown.... actually, that might be all) they've only done The Bells are Ringing once, and unless they do more shows with a vibrophone or handbell player, probably won't again. there are really five main "categories" of songs: 1. songs they "test" before an album comes out, then pretty much stop playing after the album/EP is released or a little during that album's tour, then never again (Thermostat, The World's Address, Unforgotten, Ondine) 2. songs we hear on an album for the first time, get played a lot while they support that album, then pretty much don't get played again (Extra Savoir Faire, Dinner Bell, See the Constellation, Unrelated Thing, Metal Detector) 3. songs we hear on an album for the first time, don't get played very much (if at all) during that album's tour, and show up many years later, sometimes as a regular occurrence (Fingertips, Spider, Hypnotist of Ladies, Women & Men, Absolutely Bill's Mood) 4. songs they play only if they have to, like at theme shows. (Rabid Child, Theme from Flood) 5. songs we know very well before an album comes out, and continue to be played through that tour and beyond (James K. Polk, Til My Head Falls Off, No One Knows My Plan, Spy, Istanbul) my guess for Mink Car is that songs like My Man, Hovering Sombrero, and maybe Hopeless Bleak Despair won't make it past the second group. songs like Wicked Little Critta and Mr. Xcitement will probably be in the 4th group, and so far, it seems that WUFTM and Edith Head are going to end up in the first group (I haven't seen them on any recent setlists). I'd also guess that Yeah Yeah, Drink!, and Bangs will last beyond the end of this tour. we already know where Cyclops Rock, MISLIH, and Older are headed. :) > I'm not sure how many songs the band knows has all that much to do with it. > First of all, if they really wanted to play a song the Dans DIDN'T know, I > don't think it would take long to teach them; they're professional > musicians, and TMBG's songs aren't generally all that musically complex. > Also, having played a song doesn't mean it's always going to be fresh in the > Johns' and Dans' minds. I know they said the Flood show required a lot of > rehearsing, so maybe they just don't feel like rehearsing a lot of the true, although I've heard them soundcheck a bunch of the Flood songs since then. I doubt we'll hear things like Theme from Flood, Hearing Aid, Hot Cha, or Road Movie outside the theme shows, though. > songs. Or maybe they only play songs that they know will go over well. It > doesn't really matter that much to me; I would enjoy a TMBG concert even if > it was the exact same setlist I'd seen the last time. I don't go to all > that many shows, though. If it IS true that they rotated the songs more > before, though, it's kind of odd that they've stopped since then. in 1994, besides the 20 John Henry songs, I think there were about 30 songs (at least) they'd rotate between. at the show I saw, they did Number 3 (it was the third song of the show, even!) and They'll Need a Crane. at others, they did Everything Right is Wrong Again, Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes, Youth Culture Killed My Dog, and even Nightgown of the Sullen Moon. they didn't play any of those very often, but they did occasionally, and more than once. sure, there were songs they did at every show - Ana Ng, Your Racist Friend, Birdhouse in Your Particle Man (not Constantinople), WDTSS? (that was back when the rock version was new) but sometimes they'd do Turn Around, and sometimes they'd do Lucky Ball & Chain... stuff like that. and there were more than 3 or 4 "slots" that got rotated in the set.... From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 17:53:35 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RLrZN74599 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:53:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f43.law4.hotmail.com [216.33.149.43]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RLrYN74590 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:53:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from morning_pilaf@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:53:29 -0700 Received: from 63.101.11.2 by lw4fd.law4.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:53:29 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.101.11.2] From: "Todd Wetherbee" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:53:29 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 21:53:29.0281 (UTC) FILETIME=[D7BA7310:01C1479E] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Todd Wetherbee" >in 1994, besides the 20 John Henry songs, I think there were about 30 >songs (at least) they'd rotate between. at the show I saw, they did >Number 3 (it was the third song of the show, even!) and They'll Need a >Crane. at others, they did Everything Right is Wrong Again, Nothing's >Gonna Change My Clothes, Youth Culture Killed My Dog, and even Nightgown >of the Sullen Moon. they didn't play any of those very often, but they >did occasionally, and more than once. sure, there were songs they did >at every show - Ana Ng, Your Racist Friend, Birdhouse in Your Particle >Man (not Constantinople), WDTSS? (that was back when the rock version >was new) but sometimes they'd do Turn Around, and sometimes they'd do >Lucky Ball & Chain... stuff like that. and there were more than 3 or 4 >"slots" that got rotated in the set.... Hello, all. This is absolutely correct. And I really miss it. Just thought I would extend my support. BTW, does anyone know if they have EVER played Nightgown live? _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 17:54:30 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RLsUF74746 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:54:30 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f38.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.38]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RLsTN74737 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:54:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:54:24 -0700 Received: from 129.25.23.63 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:54:23 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.25.23.63] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:54:23 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 21:54:24.0218 (UTC) FILETIME=[F8792BA0:01C1479E] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lawrence Solomon: >as far as I know, they've never done Stand on Your Own Head >or Hall of Heads Maybe "Head" in the title is a sure sign that they'll never play it live. I'm pretty sure they've never done "I Am A Human Head," either. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 17:57:23 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RLvM074900 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:57:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f23.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.23]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RLvMN74892 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:57:22 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:57:16 -0700 Received: from 129.25.23.63 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:57:16 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.25.23.63] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:57:16 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 21:57:16.0882 (UTC) FILETIME=[5F639B20:01C1479F] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Todd Wetherbee: >>in 1994, besides the 20 John Henry songs, I think there were about 30 >>songs (at least) they'd rotate between. at the show I saw, they did >>Number 3 (it was the third song of the show, even!) and They'll Need a >>Crane. at others, they did Everything Right is Wrong Again, Nothing's >>Gonna Change My Clothes, Youth Culture Killed My Dog, and even Nightgown >>of the Sullen Moon. they didn't play any of those very often, but they >>did occasionally, and more than once. sure, there were songs they did >>at every show - Ana Ng, Your Racist Friend, Birdhouse in Your Particle >>Man (not Constantinople), WDTSS? (that was back when the rock version >>was new) but sometimes they'd do Turn Around, and sometimes they'd do >>Lucky Ball & Chain... stuff like that. and there were more than 3 or 4 >>"slots" that got rotated in the set.... > >Hello, all. This is absolutely correct. And I really miss it. Just >thought I would extend my support. > >BTW, does anyone know if they have EVER played Nightgown live? He just said they did. Look in the second list of songs. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 18:14:31 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RMEVe75649 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:14:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f186.law8.hotmail.com [216.33.241.186]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RMEUN75639 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:14:30 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from aceduke@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:14:24 -0700 Received: from 24.4.116.242 by lw8fd.law8.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:14:24 GMT X-Originating-IP: [24.4.116.242] From: "John Ferrer" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Hall of Heads Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:14:24 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Sep 2001 22:14:24.0980 (UTC) FILETIME=[C42EE940:01C147A1] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "John Ferrer" First of all, did Flans really say he hated "Hall of Heads"? I don't doubt anyone's veracity, but I'd like to have it confirmed by at least one other person before I go taking it as the law. I always assumed he liked it because he did a sort of revisit to it with "Guitar Was the Case," but I guess it's just as likely that he did it to try to salvage what he thought was good from the song. I think it's awesome, and I remember Linnell praising it in some interview. I don't know why he wouldn't like it unless the thought behind the song was stupid. Maybe if he told us what it was about, we'd hate it too. Oh well. Just wondering. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 18:38:50 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RMco376565 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:38:50 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from c011.snv.cp.net (c011-h002.c011.snv.cp.net [209.228.34.215]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f8RMcnN76557 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:38:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: (cpmta 12265 invoked from network); 27 Sep 2001 15:38:40 -0700 Received: from mail.visualnetworks.com (208.22.73.21) by smtp.namezero.com (209.228.34.215) with SMTP; 27 Sep 2001 15:38:40 -0700 X-Sent: 27 Sep 2001 22:38:40 GMT Message-ID: <003b01c147a4$b49ea8f0$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" To: Received: from no.name.available by mail.visualnetworks.com via smtpd (for namezero.com.criticalpath.net [209.229.62.48]) with SMTP; 27 Sep 2001 22:38:39 UT References: Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:34:43 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Bryce" John Ferrer : > I always assumed he liked it because he did a sort of > revisit to it with "Guitar Was the Case," Whoa. By coincidence I was listening to Guitar Was the Case as I read your message. Now the similarlty seems so obvious that I wonder how it ever eluded me in the first place. It'll probably never sound quite the same. Bryce I can't hear the guitar. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 18:46:32 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8RMkWQ76916 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:46:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from omni.cc.purdue.edu (omni.cc.purdue.edu [128.210.10.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8RMkVN76908 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:46:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu) Received: (from coon@localhost) by omni.cc.purdue.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) id RAA16675 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:46:32 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200109272246.RAA16675@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg) Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:46:32 -0500 (EST) In-Reply-To: from "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" at Sep 26, 2001 10:46:55 pm X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Matthew Coon Nathan writes: > > Does anyone have any recordings of Dial-A-Songs that weren't on > the first compilation? Probably not what you are looking for, but Myke Weiskopf used to have an extensive list of old (pre-PODAS) DASs, none of which I have ever heard. I don't have a copy anymore, but it is worth looking for, if only as an historical document of stuff we'll never hear. m@t From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 21:36:57 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8S1avB84034 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:36:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f18.law8.hotmail.com [216.33.241.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8S1auN84026 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:36:56 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from aceduke@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:36:51 -0700 Received: from 24.4.116.242 by lw8fd.law8.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:36:50 GMT X-Originating-IP: [24.4.116.242] From: "John Ferrer" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Hall of Heads Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:36:50 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 28 Sep 2001 01:36:51.0097 (UTC) FILETIME=[0BD54890:01C147BE] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "John Ferrer" >John Ferrer : > > I always assumed he liked it because he did a sort of > > revisit to it with "Guitar Was the Case," > >Whoa. By coincidence I was listening to Guitar Was the Case as I read your >message. Now >the similarlty seems so obvious that I wonder how it ever eluded me in the >first place. >It'll probably never sound quite the same. > >Bryce > I can't hear the guitar. Somewhere on monopuff.org he actually states that it was based on "Hall of Heads." Just in case you thought I was throwing that out there on my own. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Sep 27 22:11:21 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8S2BLK85550 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:11:21 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.opcnet.com (IDENT:mirapoint@[63.101.87.3]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8S2BKN85542 for ; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:11:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com (unknown.Level3.net [209.246.40.222] (may be forged)) by smtp.opcnet.com (Mirapoint) with ESMTP id AAL92061; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:11:18 -0700 (MST) Message-ID: <3BB3DA86.9E99F0AA@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:03:50 -0400 From: lawrence solomon X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en] (Win98; U) X-Accept-Language: en-GB,en,ja MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wiltern 9-22-01 References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Todd Wetherbee wrote: > BTW, does anyone know if they have EVER played Nightgown live? yes. oh. you want to know the answer, don't you? :) yes, they have played it live. apparently there were a few John Henry era shows where they did it (someone out there has a setlist with "SULLEN" on it) and there was an auction on eBay a while back for some *OLD* setlists and posters and all sorts of stuff from 1985 and 1986, and one of them had "NIGHTGOWN" on it (and "BECOME A ROBOT," among other things) but unfortunately, it's another of those songs that Flans doesn't really like. he said it's just not fun to play live... so it's probably not going to show up any time soon. (then again, in 1992 everyone was convinced they'd *never* play Fingertips, and even as late as 1994 they were saying they would never play Spider....) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Sep 28 00:23:32 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8S4NWj90699 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:23:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f194.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.194]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8S4NWN90691 for ; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:23:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:23:26 -0700 Received: from 63.48.102.52 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:23:26 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.48.102.52] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of the Power of Dial-Song... Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:23:26 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 28 Sep 2001 04:23:26.0540 (UTC) FILETIME=[5194D8C0:01C147D5] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Matthew Coon: >Nathan writes: > > > > Does anyone have any recordings of Dial-A-Songs that weren't on > > the first compilation? > >Probably not what you are looking for, but Myke Weiskopf used to have >an extensive list of old (pre-PODAS) DASs, none of which I have ever >heard. I don't have a copy anymore, but it is worth looking for, if >only as an historical document of stuff we'll never hear. I'd like to see it. Is it up on the Web anywhere? And I'd love to have recordings of any of those songs, but I doubt that will be possible, unless the Johns decide to provide them. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Sep 28 00:26:06 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8S4Q6R90877 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:26:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f228.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.228]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8S4Q6N90869 for ; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:26:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:26:00 -0700 Received: from 63.48.102.52 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:26:00 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.48.102.52] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs they never play live Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:26:00 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 28 Sep 2001 04:26:00.0469 (UTC) FILETIME=[AD548C50:01C147D5] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lawrence Solomon: >but unfortunately, it's another of those songs that Flans doesn't really >like. he said it's just not fun to play live... so it's probably not going >to >show up any time soon. (then again, in 1992 everyone was convinced they'd >*never* play Fingertips, and even as late as 1994 they were saying they >would >never play Spider....) Didn't Flans once say that "She's An Angel" wasn't any fun to play? That seems to have been brought back into regular rotation after Severe Tire Damage. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Sep 28 01:48:13 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f8S5mD394256 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:48:13 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d07.mx.aol.com (imo-d07.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.39]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f8S5mCN94248 for ; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:48:12 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from BirdhouseIYS@aol.com) Received: from BirdhouseIYS@aol.com by imo-d07.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.126.4d0208a (1814) for ; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:48:00 -0400 (EDT) From: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com Message-ID: <126.4d0208a.28e56910@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:48:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG grr To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_126.4d0208a.28e56910_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10535 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: BirdhouseIYS@aol.com --part1_126.4d0208a.28e56910_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I will most defenetly be heading to my home away from home in Rochester, NY for that show. In fact, I'll be headng to good ole Henrietta this weekend, if anyone gives a rats ass. Well, I'll be lurking around here if anyone needs me. "WHOOO!! CALL ME A TRUCK AND SLAP ME TILL A WEDNESDAY!!!" --part1_126.4d0208a.28e56910_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I will most defenetly be heading to my home away from home in Rochester, NY for that show. In fact, I'll be headng to good ole Henrietta this weekend, if anyone gives a rats ass. Well, I'll be lurking around here if anyone needs me.

"WHOOO!! CALL ME A TRUCK AND SLAP ME TILL A WEDNESDAY!!!"
--part1_126.4d0208a.28e56910_boundary-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #45-26 ******************************